• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
I Am sold 3mil records, and IWW sold 2mil. Nas was That Dude. He turned down the chance to be even bigger, largely due to pure stupidity and bad decision making. But we cannot ignore his place in the 90s.
It Was Written is an excellent album, but quite a few people considered it a pandering bite of the Raekwon mafia genre, and a disappointment. I Am... also falls victim to a lot of the same issues, except with Shiny Suit rap. I like the album, but Nas does not stride the line between commercial and critical well, it's awkward. I would definitely not say that I Am... made Nas that dude. Especially when Chronic 2001 dropped that year and defined a decade's worth of sound to come.

MCHG the rap album of the summer? Kanyes not Jays daddy right now despite Jay biting the shit outta him and riding his coattails on WTT and the tour?

Esch mang, why are u such a stan for this shitty album
It is the rap album of the summer. Go outside and drive around with your windows down. You will probably hear it playing out of a car in areas spanning a range of incomes. Kanye is nobody's daddy. If anything, MCHG's similarity to WTT in sound and themes would imply that Jay's sensibilities guided the album, not Kanye's. Kanye took an L with Yeezus. I like it a lot, it might be my favorite album of the year, but it will be looked at as an 808s style failure.

I'm not a stan for MCHG. I just don't hate it, and enjoy some of the songs. You seem real angry right now. It's a solid 3-3.5 mic album. Some high points, lots of missteps.

codhand

even though i dont agree with all the flack MCHG gets, it is kinda that summer album based on my "bumpage-heard-from-bedroom-window" metric.

specifically i hear Holy Grail more than any other song this summer

HiiiLife

So we got Danny's, Drake's, JT's and Weeknd's album next month? Oooweeeee. Kinda spread out through the month too. I just hope the Weeknd delivers, but after those first couple singles, I'm meeeeeh. But I still dig House of Balloons nonetheless.

Edit: Boats 2 as well. I wonder if it'll top Stay Trippy in terms of shit that just bumps in the whip.

codhand

i hear the shittiest rap from my bedroom window. trap shit starting at like 10 AM

that's true, sometimes i'll just hear hi-hats, and i know it's trap, but cant identify which, so it is possible some random trap album was heard more and i just couldnt identify it

Edit: Boats 2 as well. I wonder if it'll top Stay Trippy in terms of shit that just bumps in the whip.

girl was pissed listening to juicy j, im like whats wrong [evil smile]? she's like why is he saying "pains to make her dance?" thought it was like a spousal abuse anthem or something haha

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
MCHG the rap album of the summer? Kanyes not Jays daddy right now despite Jay biting the shit outta him and riding his coattails on WTT and the tour?

Esch mang, why are u such a stan for this shitty album

I think you vastly overestimate how much Jay is riding Kanye's coattails. Kanye is doing his thing, but Jay is still selling (even with the Samsung fuckery) more than him right now. Add in the 20/20 tour and despite what the average Ye stan thinks, Jay doesn't really need the assist.

And yeah. Yeezus was an experimental, blah, blah, pretentious bullshit record that nobody cares about any more. It was all the shock of some industrial garbage sound coming from Ye that everybody "respects" but nobody fucking listens to outside of the hardcore Yeezus followers.

Esch

Banned
So we got Danny's, Drake's, JT's and Weeknd's album next month? Oooweeeee. Kinda spread out through the month too. I just hope the Weeknd delivers, but after those first couple singles, I'm meeeeeh. But I still dig House of Balloons nonetheless.

I think Tity Boi going up against all these guys was a big mistake. He will get his club play snatched right from him. I think this will sell worse than the original BOATS by a solid bit. JT's will smash obviously, plat first week without sweating. Weeknd will flop critically but do OK commercially, not six figures though.

Drake, I don't know. Probably mid six figures first week. Dude has too much steam right now.

edit: 2 Chainz shoulda gone for October

HiiiLife

I think Tity Boi going up against all these guys was a big mistake. He will get his club play snatched right from him. I think this will sell worse than the original BOATS by a solid bit. JT's will smash obviously, plat first week without sweating. Weeknd will flop critically but do OK commercially, not six figures though.

Drake, I don't know. Probably mid six figures first week. Dude has too much steam right now.

edit: 2 Chainz shoulda gone for October

Out of all em which are you most excited for? I won't front, after the surprise Stay Trippy was, I'm kinda anticipating another hype ass album with knocking beats on Boats 2, and I've been waiting for this JT for a hot minute.

Esch

Banned
Boats 2. I like 2 Chainz even though the stuff that's leaked has been so so, i'll get some entertainment out of that. Kiss Land is kinda feeling all over the place on some Old shit. The stuff released so far is sonically lacking that nice cohesiveness his trilogy has. I don't really get what Weeknd's trying to do with this shit and it's disappointing me because i thought one of his strong suits was his tightly focused artistic vision. BUT, we'll see how it comes together. I might listen to 20/20 pt II for the singles.

I dont give a fuck about Drake

HiiiLife

girl was pissed listening to juicy j, im like whats wrong [evil smile]? she's like why is he saying "pains to make her dance?" thought it was like a spousal abuse anthem or something haha

Should've played Gun Plus a Mask and let her do the math.

Boats 2. I like 2 Chainz even though the stuff that's leaked has been so so, i'll get some entertainment out of that. Kiss Land is kinda feeling all over the place on some Old shit. The stuff released so far is sonically lacking that nice cohesiveness his trilogy has. I don't really get what Weeknd's trying to do with this shit and it's disappointing me because i thought one of his strong suits was his tightly focused artistic vision. BUT, we'll see how it comes together. I might listen to 20/20 pt II for the singles.

I dont give a fuck about Drake

See I'm fairly new to the Drake bus. My attitude towards him ranged from "indifferent to he's corny" when he first hit the scene. After a bunch of recommendations from my friends, I finally gave Take Care a listen for the first time in 2012 and surprisingly enjoyed quite a few tracks. But I also went back to So Far Gone and still place that higher than TC.

So I guess the moral of the story is, I'll stop talking shit on rappers because of what I heard through the grapevine and actually give em a chance for myself. Lol.

And if Kissland is worse than Thursday, which is my least favorite mixtape from Abel, I'm not gonna bother playing that shit twice. I've been on the blackout with Boats 2, so it'll be a fresh experience when that drips. And I feel I'm in the minority that really enjoyed 20/20. Spaceship Coupe still my shit lol.

Edit: ALSO, after these weird ass EDM sounds on Danny's album, I'm genuinely clueless and will be crushed if its a step back from XXX. So, those are my thoughts on upcoming albums this month.

overcast

And if Kissland is worse than Thursday, which is my least favorite mixtape from Abel, I'm not gonna bother playing that shit twice. I've been on the blackout with Boats 2, so it'll be a fresh experience when that drips. And I feel I'm in the minority that really enjoyed 20/20. Spaceship Coupe still my shit lol.

Edit: ALSO, after these weird ass EDM sounds on Danny's album, I'm genuinely clueless and will be crushed if its a step back from XXX. So, those are my thoughts on upcoming albums this month.
Not sure about Kiss Land at all, think it's about to be a disappointment. I'm relatively excited for Drake, I guess. I'm thinking BOATS 2 will lack ignorance honestly.

Really fucking hyped for JT after loving 20/20, and of course I'm really hyped for Old. I also think Danny will drop a great album, whether it lives up to XXX or not.

CRS

I have low expectations for Kiss Land because wanting the album to be anywhere near the Trilogy is asking too much.

kamspy

The only two people you hear in Cincy are Jay Z MCHG and anything featuring Future, or Rich Homie Quan, who I assume most people assume is Future.

Jay will play til the next Ross release, and that will play until the next Jeezy release. Sprinkle in Gucci and other odds and ends trap across the year.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Driving around Detroit I didn't really hear MCHG anywhere, not on the radio or blaring out of people's cars. I think I've heard Tom Ford once around where I live and Holy Grail once in Michigan. I honestly expected more when Samsung paid $5 mill to try hard to make it the album of the summer. Then again, urban stations here are understandably on Drake's dick. The songs on the album don't have the stick for the mainstream either. Holy Grail is just a crap song because Jay is so abhorrent on it, nobody can't even front like it's not phoned in. Crown and Fuckwithmeyouknowigotit could have a shot, but Fuckwithmeyouknowigotit would be censored to the point where nobody gives a shit on the radio. All the other half decent songs aren't exactly radio gold either.

SoilBreak

Banned

RUBbJaf.png

DominoKid

Busta x Yeezus x Q-Tip coming

9584096513_7fe82c5d17.jpg

YMCMB’s Busta Rhymes is working on a new music video for his song “I Wanna Thank You”. BTS has been putting in work recently and getting music videos done with some of hip hop’s most popular artists. He recently did a song and music video with Nicki Minaj titled “Twerk It” directed by Director X. His new music video for “I Wanna Thank You” features G.O.O.D. Music’s Kanye West and Q- Tip. The music video is directed by Director X as well, both the songs are off of his new upcoming album “E.L.E. 2“.

The “I Wanna Thank You” music video is being shot in New York today because it is a good meeting place for Busta Rhymes, Q-Tip, and Kanye West due to the VMA awards that are airing tonight (Sunday August 25th).

Esch

Banned
Holy Grail still has heavy rotation over here on pop stations. I think you could fuckwith could be easily censored. It already sounds like jay is saying phonk anyway, and from there on its just censoring the n word.

Nas doesnt belong in this post. His naughties were shit. One good album, one diss, a stellsr compilation and thats it. He also owned Nas at one point through Def Jam, so theres that. And commercially. ..lol.

As for Kanye, makes no sense. He is the reason for that guys career being what it is, point blank. There is no kanye without Jay period, even if ye did take control on the collab.

Fif I could agree with but he fell off with Curtis and hasn't been the same since in every respect. Still though that early 00s was impressive.

You are right about Em and Jay being interchangeable.

The Complex list was based on the 2000 decade.

Like dude said. My post was meant to convey that Jay-Z has never had the #1 spot in hip-hop during the 2000s!!

His claim to fame, so to speak, is that he's always managed to be consistent. Consistently crank out hit singles. Consistently deliver solid albums. Consistently keep his name in the news. He's even managed to maintain the longest longevity in hip-hop. His name still carries weight. Even in 2013, he still can manage to move a million units, even in these terrible times.

But let's not act like during his career he wasn't over shadowed by Tupac, Nas, Bustah Rhymes and DMX in the 90s, Outkast, Eminem, 50 Cent, Nelly, T.I., Kanye, etc in the 2000s. I'd say 2013 is like the first time he's probably not had any competition in record sales. But that could probably change with Drake, 2 Chainz, Eminem, etc.

With the exception of Hard Knock Life, he never managed to have a GRODT, Marshall Mather's LP, Love Below/Speakerboxx, Nellyville, etc.

I'll grudgingly admit MCHG is the rap album of the summer. I've never heard anyone riding around listening to Yeezus, yet I always hear Tom Ford or some other wack Jay track bumping from cars. The only other thing I constantly hear is Born Sinner.

Gotta say this was a quiet summer for hip hop. Robin Thicke and Daft Punk have really dominated the airwaves, with Jay being the only rapper getting a lot of play (at least around here). The fall is going to be all Drake all the time, I'm sure.

Like dude said. My post was meant to convey that Jay-Z has never had the #1 spot in hip-hop during the 2000s!!

His claim to fame, so to speak, is that he's always managed to be consistent. Consistently crank out hit singles. Consistently deliver solid albums. Consistently keep his name in the news. He's even managed to maintain the longest longevity in hip-hop. His name still carries weight. Even in 2013, he still can manage to move a million units, even in these terrible times.

But let's not act like during his career he wasn't over shadowed by Tupac, Nas, Bustah Rhymes and DMX in the 90s, Outkast, Eminem, 50 Cent, Nelly, T.I., Kanye, etc in the 2000s. I'd say 2013 is like the first time he's probably not had any competition in record sales. But that could probably change with Drake, 2 Chainz, Eminem, etc.

With the exception of Hard Knock Life, he never managed to have a GRODT, Marshall Mather's LP, Love Below/Speakerboxx, Nellyville, etc.

This can't be overlooked. Jay-Z had the first Blueprint but outside of that the aughts were dominated by Eminem, 50, and Wayne. And in the 90s 2pac, Nas, Meth, and DMX were largely on top. Hard Knock Life catapulted Jay to the top at one point but let's not act like he was always the defacto #1.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

Jay has gone at least Platinum with every album... that's 15 albums.

Esch

Banned
This can't be overlooked. Jay-Z had the first Blueprint but outside of that the aughts were dominated by Eminem, 50, and Wayne. And in the 90s 2pac, Nas, Meth, and DMX were largely on top. Hard Knock Life catapulted Jay to the top at one point but let's not act like he was always the defacto #1.
TBA sold more than BP1.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
sneakerheads are foot fetishists now? I can see the stretch, but that's a new one.

Anyways, I was just playing the player hater. It's all love.

Yeah, don't take shit seriously here...lol. You can like all the toes you want tho, no judgement.

Now, start talking about Big Sean and I'll judge the shit out of you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom