• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiiiLife

Acid Rap was dope man. Check it out. And I'm not sure about Kissland yet. Off first impression, it feels as mediocre as I predicted it out to be.

And yeah, the John Legend album goes. Impatiently anticipating 20/20 vol. 2.

Detox

If you would have asked me during highschool to listen to a mixtape filled with Wayne going over popular beats, I would have jumped at the opportunity to hear it.

These days, I wouldn't even consider the thought. I just listened to Abel's work on the intro and that's as far as I go. In these days, we have Drake who is pretty much the result of a Lil Wayne x Kanye yaoi fic so I don't know why anyone wants to listen to Weezy of 2013.

By the way, wtf: This John Legend tape came out of nowhere and it's pretty good.
Why the fuck did my brain think that was a term that I should familiarise myself with?

Grzi

...A lot of people won't be able to get pass this guy's voice which is somewhat akin to Chance the Rapper, but this album is probably the most unique sounding thing to drop since Acid Raps...Super inventive flow too. It's quite varied too, so if you don't like the first song at least listen to the second.

Not bad, dude can rap, but yeah, VERY reminiscent of Chance.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
lololol like I listened to that shit at all

I'm enjoying Kiss Land a lot! on a sonic level, it's coming together great. Lots of impersonal flat like songs though. sometimes Weeknd writes songs about literally nothing on some Backstreet Boys shit and it annoys the fuck out of me
It sort-of lacks the atmosphere and impact I got from his mixtapes, which had a bit rawer of emotion I guess, but I am surprised how much I'm liking it too.

EDIT: That said, y'all are listening to Wayne instead of the new Weeknd? That's a mishmash of priorities.

Esch

Banned
Oh man, Kiss Land is so crazy, in that it's diametrically opposed to Channel Orange and frank in such a weird way. I have a lot of criticism for Frank at this point in time; I feel that his music often meanders and rambles, and is lacking in hookability. Weeknd respectively nails it in this regard; his songwriting is super lean and boppable and hook oriented. Especially this new joint, which is higher BPM, more positive sounding, and clearly club oriented. It does a good job of doing that without prostituting Weeknds sound and identity into a pre-set RnB trope, but I will have to say that Weeknd is really really still lacking in one of the most important categories for an artist; his ability to connect with the human experience. Weeknd's music holds little significance or weight with people who don't party and drug and spit game at sluts and have hatefuck relationships. Conversely someone like Frank has the ability to address a number of subjects, like familial relationships for example. I gave him a lot of shit last year because Channel Orange didn't push my buttons, but it's that sort of thing that makes his music more enduring, critically acclaimed and ultimately, maybe more popular than Weeknd's will ever be. I do really like Kiss Land though, It has a great sound and I'm feeling that hook game hit hard. It just is lacking the je ne sais quoi, the impact. It's still a great cut. I really like The Professional and Wanderlust. I feel like Weeknd really brought out the technicality in this one too. Kamspy is right though, he will have major issues performing this stuff live. Lots of effect use.

4.5 mics.

edit: i have no fucking clue why i'm saying Weeknd is concise when there are seven minute songs on this album. That's good though, because they feel concise!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh man, Kiss Land is so crazy, in that it's diametrically opposed to Channel Orange and frank in such a weird way. I have a lot of criticism for Frank at this point in time; I feel that his music often meanders and rambles, and is lacking in hookability. Weeknd respectively nails it in this regard; his songwriting is super lean and boppable and hook oriented. Especially this new joint, which is higher BPM, more positive sounding, and clearly club oriented. It does a good job of doing that without prostituting Weeknds sound and identity into a pre-set RnB trope, but I will have to say that Weeknd is really really still lacking in one of the most important categories for an artist; his ability to connect with the human experience. Weeknd's music holds little significance or weight with people who don't party and drug and spit game at sluts and have hatefuck relationships. Conversely someone like Frank has the ability to address a number of subjects, like familial relationships for example. I gave him a lot of shit last year because Channel Orange didn't push my buttons, but it's that sort of thing that makes his music more enduring, critically acclaimed and ultimately, maybe more popular than Weeknd's will ever be. I do really like Kiss Land though, It has a great sound and I'm feeling that hook game hit hard. It just is lacking the je ne sais quoi, the impact. It's still a great cut. I really like The Professional and Wanderlust.

4.5 mics.

edit: i have no fucking clue why i'm saying Weeknd is concise when there are seven minute songs on this album. That's good though, because they feel concise!

yehug.gif

My favourites as well.

Esch

Banned
Esch and Enzo, would you place the album over any one of the mixtapes?

ya, I don't really like Thursday overall (i feel it's inconsistent songwise) and I think EoS is the same even though I do like that one.. But I don't think it's as good as House of Balloons.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Esch and Enzo, would you place the album over any one of the mixtapes?
None of them.

That could change, but I doubt it. It just doesn't have the same atmosphere any of those albums carry throughout because of it's poppy approach. Some songs hit the same feeling, but not throughout.

Esch

Banned
I can't remember why people hate Thursday. I remember being down on it because it kinda was a nadir of the 'waaaaah waaah' aspect of Weeknds music, but ultimately I think i'd have been fine with it if the songs were consistently good. I dont really care for any of them besides Rolling Stone and Life of the Party and one of The Birds tracks.

coldvein

Banned
so this is a band called big black from the 80s that most of yall except des probably havent heard of .. but i was just playing this jam the other night and i think its so rife for sampling or usage in a hiphop way. song is called dead billy. somebody should be spitting on this shit. i promise

http://youtu.be/KYrBbiKX414

Tokubetsu

I can't remember why people hate Thursday. I remember being down on it because it kinda was a nadir of the 'waaaaah waaah' aspect of Weeknds music, but ultimately I think i'd have been fine with it if the songs were consistently good. I dont really care for any of them besides Rolling Stone and Life of the Party and one of The Birds tracks.

It's very droney. Which makes sense since he's basically admitted to being barely conscious for recording a lot of it/most of it being freestyled.

Esch

Banned
so this is a band called big black from the 80s that most of yall except des probably havent heard of .. but i was just playing this jam the other night and i think its so rife for sampling or usage in a hiphop way. song is called dead billy. somebody should be spitting on this shit. i promise

http://youtu.be/KYrBbiKX414

pls. I never thought punk was great sample material though. I hope that one day, rap peeps dig in the Black Metal crates.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Y'all weren't kidding, Weeknd murked this Dedication 5 intro.

EDIT: Real talk, this is that live-to-this-shit music. I'm inspired.

kamspy

So we just all like Chance the Rapper now?

smh gaf hop. This is gonna read like those old threads where regulars were all "oh, dude from Community raps? this is pretty good!"

HiResDes

I like Thursday for all the reasons people hate it.
THursday is the darkest one, so guess which one I like best

In regards to Big Black, I'm a pretty big fan, though I ultimately enjoyed Shellac much more.

Big Black is to Shellac as Minor Threat is to Fugazi.

deadmanny.png

Shit's not for me, lol.

I feel like liking some of the softer tracks on Hall of Fame is more fail worthy than liking such a well put together tape like Acid Raps...Are you becoming opposed to showing effort on albums now, that's super 2008 Pitchfork-esque.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So we just all like Chance the Rapper now?

smh gaf hop. This is gonna read like those old threads where regulars were all "oh, dude from Community raps? this is pretty good!"
Pretty sure nobody changed their mind about Chance. Everyone liked him when he dropped.

And people were split on Gambino from the jump.

Esch

Banned
I feel like liking some of the softer tracks on Hall of Fame is more fail worthy than liking such a well put together tape like Acid Raps...Are you becoming opposed to showing effort on albums now, that's super 2008 Pitchfork-esque.
Nah. The production is great, but I don't enjoy Chance on the mic at all.

I don't have a problem with some of the softer/fun tracks on HoF because I'm not bitter about life and still have fun with mine.

Esch

Banned
I desperately need Richard James to go ahead and rerelease Selected Ambient Works 85-92 for me in some balled the fuck out special edition. Relistening now and I don't think I'll ever get tired of it, changed how I think and feel about so many things. Considering that it has no vocals or 'message', that's incredible.

edit: I guess there's the 2011 rerelease but it's not extravagant enough.

Tokubetsu

I desperately need Richard James to go ahead and rerelease Selected Ambient Works 85-92 for me in some balled the fuck out special edition. Relistening now and I don't think I'll ever get tired of it, changed how I think and feel about so many things. Considering that it has no vocals or 'message', that's incredible.

edit: I guess there's the 2011 rerelease but it's not extravagant enough.

IDM got Eschaton feeling some type of way

She already made a song about her own panties.

...Machinedrum's Vapor City leaked and is gone and I didn't get to hear a single track of it : (

Surprised you didn't get to it cause it's been "out" for a while now. I think I posted something back in this thread about it for some reason. I've liked it less as time goes on. Very limp & subdued. Another coffee table album to add to the pile unfortunately. First track has this certain energy to it that I really wish he had kept throughout cause I want an album that goes right for the jugular like that. It's certainly been a while. Too much scarf music. This is coming from someone who thinks "Room(s)" is one of the best albums of the last decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom