• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would Slug be salty over one album's success when he's done what El P couldn't in putting out successful albums while also running a successful label?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Why would Slug be salty over one album's success when he's done what El P couldn't in putting out successful albums while also running a successful label?

Because Wing$, Neon Cathedral and Starting Over could be Atmosphere songs. They're pretty much the type of song Slug has been doing forever. Then somebody comes out and makes a silly song about Thrift Shops and suddenly he's going platinum.

CRS

I didnt have cable until I was ~12/13, my parents thought it was trash. Kind of a good move in retrospect. I'd like to partially attribute my dislike of Kid Cudi and Lupe Fiasco to such things.
I mainly meant that most of us were raised during the 90s.

There are a couple differences. The backpack field is wide fucking open right now, compared to the naughties when everyone was rapping about car payments over their acoustic guitar beats. Who else is gonna take Cacklemore's cake. Cunninglynguists? lmao. The biggest thing is that his music is ultimately positive and therefore refreshing. Go listen to Atmosphere and all that shit again. It's all about being a fucking alcoholic lame loser with childcare payments. It's 'real' but nobody cares about that shit because everyone's struggling with it. At the end of the day, audiences turn to rap music for fantasy purposes, not reality. Cacklemore on the other hand is John Lennon rap; it's overwhelmingly optimistic and friendly, squeaky clean and naive in an era where radio rap is all about taking club drugs and date raping bitches or rapping about being a fucking pussy like Drake or J. Cole. It's a perfect storm, but guys like Atmosphere, Jedi Mind Tricks etc would never have made it. They're too self obsessed and depressing.
Yep.

Even though Macklemore's content is more uplifting than everything else, it's pretty similar in regards that people still use it to escape their own problems. They think that this perfect world of his, where everyone should be happy and equal, exists, or at least want to believe it exists.

Because Wing$, Neon Cathedral and Starting Over could be Atmosphere songs. They're pretty much the type of song Slug has been doing forever. Then somebody comes out and makes a silly song about Thrift Shops and suddenly he's going platinum.

I mean.. yeah I can see the parallels and it's a legitimate point. I guess I just feel like having more roles overall and more avenues generating cash would be enough to not care too much about it. I mean dude even has his own mini-Atmosphere on the label with that Grieves act.

WanderingWind

I mean.. yeah I can see the parallels and it's a legitimate point. I guess I just feel like having more roles overall and more avenues generating cash would be enough to not care too much about it. I mean dude even has his own mini-Atmosphere on the label with that Grieves act.

Also true.

And lol @ Mini-Atmosphere.

Esch

Banned

It's that exact ability to be silly and carefree that has his albums leaping off shelves and radio playing his shit though. Especially in this youtube rapper era where you can make songs called "Anime Pu$$y" or rap about meeting girls on Facebook and people will laugh about it instead of shaking their heads and whining about the state of the rap game

unless you're Enter the 36 Chambers, then you're just bitter

WanderingWind

It's that exact ability to be silly and carefree that has his albums leaping off shelves and radio playing his shit though. Especially in this youtube rapper era where you can make songs called "Anime Pu$$y" or rap about meeting girls on Facebook and people will laugh about it instead of shaking their heads and whining about the state of the rap game

unless you're Enter the 36 Chambers, then you're just bitter

I agree (obv). It's good to note the variance on the album though. People who haven't heard it act like every song is about bringing cookies to grandma and folding the laundry and shit. I mean, it's all relative, but he still talks about shoes, cars, alcoholism. He cusses, talks about tits and ass. It's overall a very positive, upbeat record, but it's not all just one thing. Which is part of the success, I think.

And there are plenty of people in middle America who think he's disgusting for Same Love. What with the pushing of that gay agenda and all.

Esch

Banned
I agree (obv). It's good to note the variance on the album though. People who haven't heard it act like every song is about bringing cookies to grandma and folding the laundry and shit. I mean, it's all relative, but he still talks about shoes, cars, alcoholism. He cusses, talks about tits and ass. It's overall a very positive, upbeat record, but it's not all just one thing. Which is part of the success, I think.

And there are plenty of people in middle America who think he's disgusting for Same Love. What with the pushing of that gay agenda and all.

Yeah, I mean it is a rap album after all. And the Same Love thing isn't just middle america or whites or whatever; every coli thread about Macklemore has some posts about him being 'cofunded by the gay agenda' and shit like that too.

"whites are selling hip hop to the gays!"
dead.png

CRS

That "white people are taking over our hip-hop" coli thread is cringe worthy, disgusting, and a little funny all in one.

WanderingWind

I don't know how y'all can stand place like the coli. It's just a bunch of e-thugs who pretend to not understand grammar and basic sentence structure in order to appear hood. I just picture the entire place as being filled with people like

wiggers-300x210.jpg

Lil-Gangstas.jpg

Esch

Banned
SQ0a4vB.jpg

I don't know how y'all can stand place like the coli. It's just a bunch of e-thugs who pretend to not understand grammar and basic sentence structure in order to appear hood. I just picture the entire place as being filled with people like

It's funny as shit to me for the most part. the posturing, the aliases, the complete lack of mod censorship, the personal grudges.

DominoKid

The Coli is the shit.

saw that T.I. album went gold. the 6th rap album from 2012 to do so.
2013 is looking like MCHG, Born Sinner, Yeezus, IANAHB2 & NWTS for sure. damn.

Yea Esch is right. One of my brothers is a big Atmosphere fan and I used to troll him by rapping along to their instrumentals, shit like

She thinks her white trash spreads like osmosis
Strippin for cash cuz her little brother has cystic fibrosis
He just wants to play the harmonica
To impress his best friend Veronica
But she's strung out on that dope
Living in the city where there is no hope

ain't nobody got time for that

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Waka on No Lackin, Money Stackin. :Whew:

I Need That, No Lackin, Money Stackin, and Relate go in. Reese is the only one of those 300 dudes I can listen to.

Esch

Banned
The Coli isn't as great as it once was, but it's still more fun than most forums on the internet. The fuckery can't be matched...

the best part isnt the fake thugs, it's the tryhard militants . You know they all have shitty jobs at convenience stores owned by white people or something

Esch

Banned
Haha I used to love shit like Samiyam and Gaslamp Killer when I was in high school. Not sure how I feel about it all now...

Lol at yall still checking for Odd Future tho

overcast

I'm pretty far past being an Atmosphere stan, but he's better than Macklemore. God Loves Ugly was a pretty damn good album. Though I will agree they are extremely similar.

Listening to Atmosphere is stuck in my HS days.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've had more fun and laughs reading KTT than I ever have SOHH TBH. Never really checked out The Coli, but I assumed its more of the same.

Jitters

I'm enjoying Kissland more than I thought I would. He is still very one note though. Its just more of the same. The sound that made the debut so interesting is wearing thin.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Thats one of my favorite tracks.

The remix is something else as well. I'm hoping for his sophomore effort he completely flips things and goes fully pop with just one really good song from his current sound. he's so refined in his trilogy series sound but he needs to branch out. after three mixtapes its getting tired.

edit: I also really enjoy odd look.

Who here was saying big Sean sounded like soulja boy. Holy shit brahs a song came up on shuffle and a girl asked me if it was soulja boy
Hahahahaa

Btw the latest ignorant mix from blackace was quite good. Too much nicki minaj though

EloquentM

aka Mannny
macklemore reminds me of clay face. his head looks like a ball of pasty playdough. That being said I'm about to listen to the heist. how shit is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom