• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a while since I've listened to the trilogy so I could be off but I don't think Kiss Land sounds anything like them. Tracks here are long and dynamic and transitional. More cinematic, which I believe he mentioned somewhere

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Tracks here are long and dynamic and transitional. More cinematic, which I believe he mentioned somewhere

they are but that doesn't make his sound any different. it just makes it sound like he condensed all of the mixtapes into one album, which is good progression for him as the weeknd, but it does shit for him as an artist. it only gives the illusion of him being more focused. unfortunately for me as a fan, that's not what I want. I want to hear him evolve as an artist. I'm not looking to listen to a concentrated version of his mixtape self.

they are but that doesn't make his sound any different. it just makes it sound like he condensed all of the mixtapes into one album, which is good progression for him as the weeknd, but it does shit for him as an artist. it only gives the illusion of him being more focused. unfortunately for me as a fan, that's not what I want. I want to hear him evolve as an artist. I'm not looking to listen to a concentrated version of his mixtape self.

Hmm I really have to revisit the tapes. Merely curious: in what way do you want him to evolve, specifically?

Esch

Banned
Sorry, best track is still Wicked Games. That was the peak. His schtick is old and tired, but back then it blew me away.

DominoKid

Kazakhstan president pays $3 million for Yeezus to grace his grandsons wedding, guests don't even watch. (vid in link)

The only real logical explanation as to why ‘Ye performed at a Kazakhstani wedding was that he was paid a ridiculous amount of money to do it. The alleged reported figure: $3 million (why the fuck now?). The wedding was apparently for Kazakhstani president Nursultan Nazarbayev’s grandson. Someone named Helen Gadjilova who was in attendance Instagram a video of a two young women who decided to take a selfie while Kanye performed “Can’t Tell Me Nothing.”

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Hmm I really have to revisit the tapes. Merely curious: in what way do you want him to evolve, specifically?

he needs to dwell into lighter territory. his voice, lyrics/concepts, and production are dark and played-out. he loves to talk about sex, drugs, and broken relationships. He needs to delve into lighter territory and strike a balance between new concepts/sounds and his established sound. this is why songs on the album like wanderlust are so much more welcome to me.

HiiiLife

I understandddddddd, your body wants ittttttt. I know your thoughtsssss, oh you bout it bout it.

Lol. The Party & The After Party is that lick.

Sorry, best track is still Wicked Games. That was the peak. His schtick is old and tired, but back then it blew me away.

Kinda weird thinking back to when that tape dropped. My older bro was actually throwing a party that week and I DL'd the tape after everyone went to bed thinking "who the heck is this guy?" And one listen later "okay, who the heck IS this guy??" Never forget driving people home when we woke up to "The Morning."

overcast

Glass Table is still his masterpiece I think. Wicked Games is incredible too.

Debating whether or not I should see him live this month.

What You Need (OG version, not the remastered one...) and Glass Table Girls were my favorites on HOB. But all the tracks are noteworthy.

Thursday wasn't bad but it was literally the first time I heard Weeknd songs I didn't like, which was jarring I guess. Lonely Star didn't do anything for me on first listen.

But The Birds pt II is probably my most played Weeknd song.

he needs to dwell into lighter territory. his voice, lyrics/concepts, and production are dark and played-out. he loves to talk about sex, drugs, and broken relationships. He needs to delve into lighter territory and strike a balance between new concepts/sounds and his established sound. this is why songs on the album like wanderlust are so much more welcome to me.

I do agree that he is rehashing a bunch of old ideas but he is definitely exploring new territory here. One of the first lines is something like "you're a somebody but what's a somebody in a nobody town" and yeah he's talking to this girl but it's obvious that he's also talking to himself about his rise to fame and trying to adapt. And I'm with you, I wish there was more of that branching out but I don't really mind him talking about all his usual staples too. With this one I've focused less on lyricism and more on pure sound design cause I think it really delivers in that aspect. Can't believe I'm saying that--certainly the biggest surprise I've had in a while.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Was there a good song on Thursday????

Woah, Rollingstone is like one of the best weekend songs.

I do agree that he is rehashing a bunch of old ideas but he is definitely exploring new territory here. One of the first lines is something like "you're a somebody but what's a somebody in a nobody town" and yeah he's talking to this girl but it's obvious that he's also talking to himself about his rise to fame and trying to adapt. And I'm with you, I wish there was more of that branching out but I don't really mind him talking about all his usual staples too. With this one I've focused less on lyricism and more on pure sound design cause I think it really delivers in that aspect. Can't believe I'm saying that--certainly the biggest surprise I've had in a while.

I agree, Sonically it is pleasant.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tempted to check out this John Legend album just because of the sheer amount of Ye coproduction. Never really checked out any of his older albums though they were probably the same.

Esch

Banned
Yep. I dont think its a large step forward but it is there. I just want him to explore more topics regardless

I don't really listen to Weeknd for lyrics breh. I listen for dat melody, and in his case it's almost always better over moody production. The album goes for pop and misses overall IMO.

Tokubetsu

Wicked Games is the weeknd thesis statement. It's his opening arguements and his closing paragraph. Everything else is just the bullshit in between.

Side Note: Same Old Song is basically a Wicked Games prequel.

CRS

Heaven or Las Vegas is so perfect and a great way to end the album. Even though it is the closer, it still gets your head nodding.

Have you heard KL yet toku? Wanna hear your thoughts cause I remember you liked the singles. I wasn't feeling them. Eating crow now though. Context is everything.

Tokubetsu

Have you heard KL yet toku? Wanna hear your thoughts cause I remember you liked the singles. I wasn't feeling them. Eating crow now though. Context is everything.

I'm waiting on that physical/my personal flac rip. Imma write a paper on it brehs don't worry. That or cry curled up on the bed.

HiiiLife

Tempted to check out this John Legend album just because of the sheer amount of Ye coproduction. Never really checked out any of his older albums though they were probably the same.

Love In The Future is awesome. Get Lifted is a great debut too. Refuge (which is on Get Lifted) is probably my favorite track from John Legend.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Looks like I'll be checking out Get Lifted then.

I think Nothing Was The Same is going to be a disappointment. Everything just seems so radically different that he's put out, I really don't know what he's trying to do. It'll end up being like Thank Me Later part 2. Full of bangers but overall ehhh.

DominoKid

Looks like I'll be checking out Get Lifted then.

I think Nothing Was The Same is going to be a disappointment. Everything just seems so radically different that he's put out, I really don't know what he's trying to do. It'll end up being like Thank Me Later part 2. Full of bangers but overall ehhh.

i wouldn't be mad at that at all.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Nothing was the same is supposed to be a progression of him as a child to him as drake right? It might be similar in execution to take care then. not necessarily in sound or theme since take care was mostly about his rise to fame but similarly introspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom