• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

man Justified (and Sons of Anarchy) feel Tier 3 for me, id toss that one out for Ray Donavan myself, Luther if you haven't caught it

Dexter hangs with True Blood on garbage tier, even in its finale

Dereck

About to listen.

lmno.jpg

CRS

Dexter is above True Blood because Dexter had promise unlike True Blood when it was always about sex and fangs (which isn't a bad thing). Need to pick True Blood back up and finish Dexter for the completionist is me.

IrishNinja

Dexter is above True Blood because Dexter had promise unlike True Blood when it was always about sex and fangs (which isn't a bad thing). Need to pick True Blood back up and finish Dexter for the completionist is me.

are you watching this last season though? i didnt make it past ep 4, shouldve left that show in the bushes

true blood is garbage tier. so is game of thrones.

wait, for real? i dont even like medieval fantasy nonsense but Game is some good shit

Justified is absolutely one of the best television programs currently airing.

see i dunno tokus
a) side cast barely exist (at least last season let the sniper dude do his thing)
b) each season barely feels like it connects to the next, in terms of an overarching plot - still the formula of new season = new villain, build him up then tear him down by the end (that blonde psycho guy falling apart was the worst)
c) the meat of the show is the tension between dude from deadwood vs shane from the shield and the latter's kind've all over the place last season

Tokubetsu

are you watching this last season though? i didnt make it past ep 4, shouldve left that show in the bushes

wait, for real? i dont even like medieval fantasy nonsense but Game is some good shit

see i dunno tokus
a) side cast barely exist (at least last season let the sniper dude do his thing)
b) each season barely feels like it connects to the next, in terms of an overarching plot - still the formula of new season = new villain, build him up then tear him down by the end (that blonde psycho guy falling apart was the worst)
c) the meat of the show is the tension between dude from deadwood vs shane from the shield and the latter's kind've all over the place last season

This is a really simple breakdown. Barely connected seasons? The show changed drastically going into season two. Relationships are maintained between seasons, characters re-emerge and sometimes in more prominent roles etc. I also disagree about that being the meat of the show. The meat of the show is how your past, your roots can often be inescapable and how despite however hard you may try, you maybe a lot more like your parents (and where you came from) than you think.

Tokubetsu

My problem with these tv tier rankings is I feel like you all just rank them based on what press (and gaf) tell you to. Like slow pacing and super serious dramas are the only things you could rank as "Tier 1" tv. Just because it's on a cable channel doesn't automatically make it great. A lot of you would never be caught dead watching standard network shows when quite a few of them are pretty enjoyable if not actually pretty good. They still have a lot of merits some of these other "top tier" shows could learn. A big one being pacing. A brought up BB earlier because I think the pacing this season has been awful. They took seven episodes to
kill Mike when you knew that shit was coming from the season opener. The whole season he had barely anything to do, he was essentially just waiting to die but they dragged it out like they have everything this season/season half
. You compare that to something like a CW show where they don't waste time writing people off when it's simply they're time to go. As exploitive and mass market targeted their shows are they seldom waste an entire season doing what everyone knows they're going to do. Which is funny to me because in that avenue they could get away with it more than a Cable show could.

IrishNinja

toku its not just pacing though, its about not wasting my time - a lot more might go down in a season of Arrow than say Mad Men but the former's an action show where typically dangling plotlines will be wrapped up in a tidy bow for the status quo of the season finale, regardless of how many deus ex's are needed to get there. lots of things happen but how many are memorable? how much character is actually developed/affected in a meaningful way? did anyone other than the protagonist have any real developments, or where they just waiting around for stuff to happen to them? etc

I heard Rome is awesome, but haven't had time to watch it yet.

it's great...season 2 isnt as good as 1 but still great. if youve already seen Deadwood & the Wire, you should hit it up

This is a really simple breakdown. Barely connected seasons? The show changed drastically going into season two. Relationships are maintained between seasons, characters re-emerge and sometimes in more prominent roles etc. I also disagree about that being the meat of the show. The meat of the show is how your past, your roots can often be inescapable and how despite however hard you may try, you maybe a lot more like your parents (and where you came from) than you think.

eh, by meat i mean the exciting bits. and yeah, the season 1 to 2 shakeup was interesting, i guess ive been waiting for something on that level to go down & keep me interested?
last season for instance was all over the place, but largely focusing on the coke heist thing but i dunno, what's the challenge for Raylin next season? parenthood? deal with shane complaining bout his locked up wife?

overcoming your roots is great, but an action show like this is made by its nemesis as well, and outside of boyd we've had...dixie mafia? old lady poisoning people? coked-up quickdraw blonde dude? theres the detroit mob or whatever in the background but nothing really interesting for me

Dexter, right?

I've heard really, really bad things which makes me sad. Saw that treadmill gif which made me laugh.

yeah, dex. and i bailed before that subplot, seemed like a good time

CRS

USA Network is the GOAT TV Network right now.

Suits, Psych, White Collar, Covert Affairs and from what my little brother tells me, Burn Notice. I think Graceland sounds pretty good too.

Recon

Banned

Suits, Psych, White Collar, Covert Affairs and from what my little brother tells me, Burn Notice. I think Graceland sounds pretty good too.

Only one I like is Suits, and even that I got tired of and havnt seen the last 4 episodes.

Tokubetsu

im amazed pepole still watch American Horror Story as well

AHS is what it is. From the jump it was about throwing crazy at you. If you dig that, then what's not to love? It's also the only looslely horror related television series currently airing to my knowledge.
toku its not just pacing though, its about not wasting my time - a lot more might go down in a season of Arrow than say Mad Men but the former's an action show where typically dangling plotlines will be wrapped up in a tidy bow for the status quo of the season finale, regardless of how many deus ex's are needed to get there. lots of things happen but how many are memorable? how much character is actually developed/affected in a meaningful way? did anyone other than the protagonist have any real developments, or where they just waiting around for stuff to happen to them? etc

it's great...season 2 isnt as good as 1 but still great. if youve already seen Deadwood & the Wire, you should hit it up

eh, by meat i mean the exciting bits. and yeah, the season 1 to 2 shakeup was interesting, i guess ive been waiting for something on that level to go down & keep me interested?
last season for instance was all over the place, but largely focusing on the coke heist thing but i dunno, what's the challenge for Raylin next season? parenthood? deal with shane complaining bout his locked up wife?

overcoming your roots is great, but an action show like this is made by its nemesis as well, and outside of boyd we've had...dixie mafia? old lady poisoning people? coked-up quickdraw blonde dude? theres the detroit mob or whatever in the background but nothing really interesting for me

yeah, dex. and i bailed before that subplot, seemed like a good time

Well to be fair I don't remember anything from the first half of BB s5 either so I guess you're right.

DominoKid

USA is my shit. I fuck w/ damn near the whole lineup except Covert Affairs. Graceland had a pretty good first season.

FX is sick too on the comedies and drama.

im amazed pepole still watch American Horror Story as well

AHS is dope. S1 was great up until the finale. S2 was great all the way.

IrishNinja

i dunno, season 1 started as horror and felt like it went into more drama than anything, by the end the basement was so crowded i thought it wanted to be a comedy

couldn't finish season 2, that unfocused kitchen sink approached got tired with a quickness, i mean i like pulp but it still feels very loosely horrific at all and the payoffs (as a horror fan) are typically weak as well. twin peaks showed me i can even get down with campy shit if the darkness is there, but AHS ain't bout that life far as i can see

Recon

Banned
AHS is what it is. From the jump it was about throwing crazy at you. If you dig that, then what's not to love? It's also the only looslely horror related television series currently airing to my knowledge.

Well to be fair I don't remember anything from the first half of BB s5 either so I guess you're right.

Nothing? I find that hard to believe considering that you talked about
Mike dying

IrishNinja

^true but aren't you worried about what'll happen when they run out of flashback material from his time on the island? arrow's actually not a great example in my favor because that one feels like it's clearly building an overarching plot from one season to the next, whereas the last season or two of Justified didn't strike me as such (though they were enjoyable enough to stay on)

Tokubetsu

Hannibal is lowkey S tier rank. We'll see how it holds up next season.

Hannibal was new favorite show form last season outside of Orphan Black. Hannibal is cvlt show of the year 2013.
^true but aren't you worried about what'll happen when they run out of flashback material from his time on the island? arrow's actually not a great example in my favor because that one feels like it's clearly building an overarching plot from one season to the next, whereas the last season or two of Justified didn't strike me as such (though they were enjoyable enough to stay on)

Supernatural and Nikita all have good overarching plots. The latter also changed dramtically from season to season. I think your problem wiht Justified is that the overarching stuff isn't BIG enough to really write home about. Like the biggest stuff that tends to happen is a villain etc dies or a minor character moves out of town. Thats it for "physical" differences between seasons, besides that it's just character motivations and state of minds. But it's there. Boyd is basically a different man every season (so far). That's actually a big part of the show, him being "lost" compared to Raylan who is just a lost but on much more lowkey note since it's mainly sshit to do with his father and coming to terms with hate and disappointment.

The only tier 1 show right now is Mad Men

Tier 2 got strike back, workaholics, boardwalk and breaking bad

Tier 3 is for game of thrones, the league and other stuff like banshee and some other series

The only show with chances of upward mobility for me is boardwalk (and maybe banshee)

Yeah toku you're right there is a bias towards these dramas for tier 1 yo, but sadly that's the way it is. Even I can't really comfortably put something as entertaining as strike back alongside mad men

That is all brahs. Now I'm gonna go eat some daaal chowl

Tokubetsu

Just you wait. Walking Dead and Revolution will kill it this season

8Vd2G.png

I love supernatural man so I was hyped to see Kripke was getting his chance to shine on a major network but Revolution is dog tier. Walking Dead is dog tier ouside of the ballin' pilot.

Esch

Banned
I love supernatural man so I was hyped to see Kripke was getting his chance to shine on a major network but Revolution is dog tier. Walking Dead is dog tier ouside of the ballin' pilot.
I love TWD for the zombie killing, daryl, and the music (Bear McCreary da gawd). The rest is mostly terrible. I dont know why i got through that whole season of Revolution. The actual deus ex machina for the whole thing was so overwhelmingly dumb. I guess i like the Fallouty vibe and watching Billy Burke indiscriminately murder people. But yeah, dog tier is correct.

edit: I havent watched much of Supernatural. Seemed too episodic, does that change?

Tokubetsu

Would also like to take this time to make a PSA. Mark of the Ninja (GOTY, 2012) is in this week's humble bundle with a bunch of other shit that isn't Mark of the Ninja (Brutal Legend, GOTY 2009) but you cant beat the price:
https://www.humblebundle.com

I really love TWD for the zombie killing, daryl, and the music (Bear McCreary da gawd). I dont know why i got through that whole season of Revolution. The actual deus ex machina for the whole thing was so overwhelmingly dumb. I guess i like the Fallouty vibe and watching Billy Burke indiscriminately murder people. But yeah, dog tier is correct.

edit: I havent watched much of Supernatural. Seemed too episodic, does that change?

I will say the brought it back up a bit towards the end of s1 outside of deus ex machina stuff and they seem to be aware of the shit that was bringing it down in con appearances so s2 has a chance of upgrading.

IrishNinja

as a fan of the book, Walking Dead is tier 1. if you expect mad action like the pilot though it's gonna drag because it's about the living, not the dead

tokus i see your points about Justified...for real though, you kinda nailed it: Boyd is a big part of what brings me back. i just remembered he has to deal with that good ol' boys wiseman's circle next season (presumably)

really don't know why im still watching Sons of Anarchy though...its just, season 2 had Ron Perlman's biker gang vs Henry Rollins' skinheads, ive been hanging on ever since for a moment half that awesome

I gotta finish that to. Oh and adventure time. Haven't seen any of the episodes of season five

oh yeah if we're counting outside shit i also put Adventure Time & Whose Line is it Anyway on tier 1 personally

still flyin solo with Ray Donovan

edit yeah tokus just jumped on that HBB for your Mark of the Ninja + FTL + Fez, goddamn was that bundle good

Tokubetsu

as a fan of the book, Walking Dead is tier 1. if you expect mad action like the pilot though it's gonna drag because it's about the living, not the dead

tokus i see your points about Justified...for real though, you kinda nailed it: Boyd is a big part of what brings me back. i just remembered he has to deal with that good ol' boys wiseman's circle next season (presumably)

really don't know why im still watching Sons of Anarchy though...its just, season 2 had Ron Perlman's biker gang vs Henry Rollins' skinheads, ive been hanging on ever since for a moment half that awesome

oh yeah if we're counting outside shit i also put Adventure Time & Whose Line is it Anyway on tier 1 personally

still flyin solo with Ray Donovan

edit yeah tokus just jumped on that HBB for your Mark of the Ninja + FTL + Fez, goddamn was that bundle good

I'm stilll watching Ray Donovan. It's still missing something I can't put my figure on it though. I haven't gone back to SoA since s3 broke me.

IrishNinja

I'm stilll watching Ray Donovan. It's still missing something I can't put my figure on it though. I haven't gone back to SoA since s3 broke me.

i was gonna make a hugh jackman joke here, but i still have scars from wolvy: origins
for real though, i don't know how long they can play ray vs mickey but anything that keeps his wife from doing the low-rent carmella soprano take on "I LOVE THIS LIFE BUT YOURE SCAHREN ME RAHY"

It didnt really pick up after that. Shit sucks

was that the one when they went to ireland? yeah, nothing really much since then...some big shit went down last season but it was all long overdue

Tokubetsu

I'll give it a shot a bit later.

Is Supernatural worth watching past season 5? I stopped then because it seemed like the perfect way to end the show.

It's still the perfect end but the show has hit s4/s3 levels of good again. Season 6 is THE worst season of the show. A lot of good ideas but you can tell the showrunner that was working it didn't have enough time to figure out where to go so it kinda lfaps around. Then they brought in some othe people. Season 7 is marked improvement but then this last one, 8, is best the show has been since 4/5. I will say what I always say though, even at it's worst I still find Supernatural enjoyable. Benefit of it's inherently pulpy nature.

i was gonna make a hugh jackman joke here, but i still have scars from wolvy: origins
for real though, i don't know how long they can play ray vs mickey but anything that keeps his wife from doing the low-rent carmella soprano take on "I LOVE THIS LIFE BUT YOURE SCAHREN ME RAHY"

was that the one when they went to ireland? yeah, nothing really much since then...some big shit went down last season but it was all long overdue
Ray's wife does it for me man. Idk what it is, maybe knowing she's actually irish (iirc) and my weakness for pale red heads because she's not all that banging.

CRS

Since there's so much hype around this episode of Breaking Bad, I'm actually going to wait for the episode to be recorded so I can watch a semi-seamless episode.

Getting really tired of "STAY TUNED FOR TALKING BAD" over a Breaking Bad quote with a number sign on my screen.

Recon

Banned
Dexter's final season has to be in the running for worst final season ever. To think during season 1 it was one of my favorite shows... :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom