• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooooose

It's abundantly clear what kind of music I like at this point so let's not all play silly games here.
You weren't there on the podcast when homie was talking about how much he LOVES Riff Raff and I'm like wtf? But you said you don't like southern rappers lol....apparently he is the only one he seems to like
Yea exactly.

Me liking run the jewels is progression bruhs u think id have given killer mike a chance last year naw

Esch

Banned
Blackace: fair enough.

Moooose: it's because Daz and Kurupt aren't from the south lol.Or was it outkast. Either way they arent super southern so idk

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
You weren't there on the podcast when homie was talking about how much he LOVES Riff Raff and I'm like wtf? But you said you don't like southern rappers lol....apparently he is the only one he seems to like

Naw wasn't there

Maybe

It's abundantly clear what kind of music I like at this point so let's not all play silly games here.

Sorry I really don't

But it is abundantly clear you are missing shit loads of classic stuff with an area blackout

mooooose

Checking out his Bandcamp: I Tried

Cold as fuck.

Yeah, check out Hotline and Honey off his last tape Studio 54. Imagine DOOM on Honey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyoKnJAqsIM

So proud of the lil homie.

He has a song in the bank right now that is CRAZY. He's going for a new sound and the idea he has for his next project is ultra ambitious, and he's doing an internet show with XXYYXX tomorrow. Hopefully he ends up on the label he wants to end up on.

Esch

Banned
I just think its funny that people use them as a 'back in the day people thought ______' meter all the time. Look at how wrong they were about so much shit. Look at how wrong they are. Mbthdndf five mics. Shit publication.

The ign of hip hop.

DominoKid

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/the-bullitts-they-die-by-dawn-other-short-stories-mp3-stream.html

I don't know if this is a repost but here is a stream of the bullits album with a few Jay Electronica verses on it....

I Still Believe

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTRONICA ‏@JayElectronica 4 Jul
ok. now it’s my turn. Lets Go.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTRONICA ‏@JayElectronica 23h
Act II: Patents Of Nobilty (the turn)

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTRONICA ‏@JayElectronica 23h
every magic trick consists of 3 parts: the pledge, the turn and the Prestige.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTRONICA ‏@JayElectronica 20h
Act I: the magician shows you something ordinary. a bird. a deck of cards, or a #man.

believe.gif

IrishNinja

I just think its funny that people use them as a 'back in the day people thought ______' meter all the time. Look at how wrong they were about so much shit. Look at how wrong they are. Mbthdndf five mics. Shit publication.

The ign of hip hop.

There was a time when the Source was a respectable mag.

that's what im sayin

i havent followed source since uh that benzino/em beef but in the day, they rarely felt wrong about 5 mic albums for me...even when i didn't always agree shit would usually be high quality.
now some greats/classics would be snubbed no doubt but if we're comparing to gaming, at least they never steered me wrong like that time Diehard Gamefan told me to cop Tail of the Sun cause it was on some innovative shit...that would clearly never truly healed

Esch

Banned
Confession: semi hyped for this Ace Hood album. Should be some jams on it, and hopefully he spits on it like some of his mixtapes. As long as its >>> than Meeks shit ill be happy.

He lost over that watch shit tho.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I still listen to Bugatti weekly. That Ace Hood record is an instabuy for me, too. It's going to fucking make the windows shake

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
The Source use to have some real as fuck articles in it. Once they started beefin' with Em the quality took a major drop.

The beefing with Em was just a side product of Benzino ruining the Source. Same for the quality of articales falling off due to benzino pushing all the real talent out of the source in place of writers willing to be cronies.....

The beefing with Em was just a side product of Benzino ruining the Source. Same for the quality of articales falling off due to benzino pushing all the real talent out of the source in place of writers willing to be cronies.....

Pretty much. I remember a lot about that time. More ads. Listen content. The writing started sounding like some fan boy shit.

IrishNinja

^dead

Pretty much. I remember a lot about that time. More ads. Listen content. The writing started sounding like some fan boy shit.

remember when they started packing in stuff to slam em? it was like watching an institution burn itself down to build a treehouse with the lumber

Zeus Molecules

^dead

remember when they started packing in stuff to slam em? it was like watching an institution burn itself down to build a treehouse with the lumber

on the flip the way XXL attach itself to EM and became the shady/aftermath/G-unit official dickriders (and currently Young Money's dickriders) were just as bad. From a business standpoint it made sense cause everyone saw the source for the bullshit they were on and XXL was never really good to begin with so why not sell out. However, hip hop journalism in print is just trash now.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Hip Hop journalism in general is shit. It's filled with just as much posturing, dick riding, and ego driven bullshit as hip hop itself is. Half the "journalists" are just trying to break into the game themselves and use their position in a self serving manner. The other half act like a bunch of fucking groupies trying to feel good about themselves for slobbing on every rapper's dick that comes swinging by them.

DominoKid

bHzjLel.jpg

I thought it'd at least get a 6.5

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18247-jay-z-magna-carta-holy-grail/

Unlike Watch the Throne, Jay-Z lacks a foil to bring out an emotional or sociological underpinning, someone to help Magna Carta resonate beyond “look at my shit.” Timberlake is in “my name is Bob and I work at my job” mode during the laughably overblown “Holy Grail", cycling through every tortured artist cliché short of a crucifixion metaphor. And as bad as the “Smells Like Teen Spirit” interpolation reads on paper, once you hear JT and Jay-Z duet on “and we all just entertainers/ And we’re stupid and contagious,” the Nirvana song becomes just another forgettable status symbol. And where Kurt Cobain felt compromised by his fame, Jay and Timberlake are doing everything in their power not to offend the money people-- whether it’s Samsung, Target, or someone dropping $250 to see them at the Rose Bowl.

Jay-Z rapping about the incomprehensible awesomeness of his life is nothing new, and the corporate synergy is hardly a novelty: The Black Album doubled as a retirement party, Kingdom Come was launched by a Budweiser commercial, American Gangster coincided with a Hollywood blockbuster of the same name, and, in hindsight, Blueprint 3 was made with full knowledge that Jay-Z would be Coachella’s first hip-hop headliner. He’s a businessman and a business, man. After all, while Samsung shelled out seven figures for exclusive access to the Jay-Z brand, Shawn Carter was the guy signing the contract and cashing the check. But the best of those joint ventures seemed determined to reach a new audience and create a connection. The weirdly distant and safe Magna Carta Holy Grail abides by the tried and true business principle that the customer is always right: you just have to remember who the customer is here.

siddx

After several play throughs I'd give it a 6.5 as well.

And fuck a pitchfork

Zeus Molecules

Hip Hop journalism in general is shit. It's filled with just as much posturing, dick riding, and ego driven bullshit as hip hop itself is. Half the "journalists" are just trying to break into the game themselves and use their position in a self serving manner. The other half act like a bunch of fucking groupies trying to feel good about themselves for slobbing on every rapper's dick that comes swinging by them.

Music Journalism sucks and is in general shit. This PDF has a pretty funny break down of why though its rock centric Hip Hop publications get ripped into as well

http://www.themorningnews.org/files/TheRockCriticalList.pdf

I love #10 breakdown of Vibe. I use to work in the same building as Vibe and Spin magazine back in 2009 and every time I happened to cross paths with Danyel Smith and she saw me she got this frightened look in her face like she expected me to attack her... I wanted to ask her why after the 3rd time but i was scared I might give her a heart attack....

MCHG features some of the most uninspired, pathetic name-dropping I've seen since The Game. Maybe Jay-Z is really into art, but his focus on the most well known and obvious pieces strikes me as a sign of fronting. Like a book enthusiast name drops Dean Koontz and Dan Brown. I'm not comparing Da Vinci and Basquiat to The Da Vinci Code of course, just saying if those are the only artists you can discuss despite being a "big" art fan...I'm probably going to assume you have a very thin surface interest in art. The gaming equivalent would probably be a "huge" Final Fantasy fan who has only played VII.

I thought Jay was going to drop a personal album. He just had a daughter, how does that impact his view on women in hip hop or his past behavior. He's married to a icon and thus can barely take her anywhere for a truly intimate evening. But instead he pretty much dismisses all of that with casual throwaway lines here or there, which we're left to stitch together to form any type of portrait.

Ultimately this is the work of someone who has never truly been a great writer. Great writers can not only express themselves through music, they can paint pictures of others, walk in shoes that aren't their own, give us a glimpse of something we're not familiar with, etc. Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Bruce Springsteen, etc have done that in their respected genres. In hip hop KRS-One, 2pac, and Nas (the "projects window" view) come to mind. Jay-Z still talks and acts like he's living in someone else's shadow, trying to impress the big man (Jaz, Big, etc).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What's better, games journalism or music journalism?

Reviews with scores for any art medium are a dumb idea IMO.

siddx

Music Journalism sucks and is in general shit. This PDF has a pretty funny break down of why though its rock centric Hip Hop publications get ripped into as well

http://www.themorningnews.org/files/TheRockCriticalList.pdf

I love #10 breakdown of Vibe. I use to work in the same building as Vibe and Spin magazine back in 2009 and every time I happened to cross paths with Danyel Smith and she saw me she got this frightened look in her face like she expected me to attack her... I wanted to ask her why after the 3rd time but i was scared I might give her a heart attack....

lol damn, that dude goes in.

I know the whole "I could see this rapper killing this jay beat" is getting old haha, but was I the only one who listened to Versus and thought if you switch up the drums a bit Doom could kill it

siddx

I'm late as hell on the bronies discussion but I just saw that thread...wtf...someone being a bronie is a red flag for being a fucked up pervert. By itself it can be argued it doesn't harm anyone but the person watching the show, but to me it's a warning sign that someone has a fucked up psyche and might end up diddling children or strangling a midget hooker to death while dressed like a horse.

DominoKid

MCHG features some of the most uninspired, pathetic name-dropping I've seen since The Game. Maybe Jay-Z is really into art, but his focus on the most well known and obvious pieces strikes me as a sign of fronting. Like a book enthusiast name drops Dean Koontz and Dan Brown. I'm not comparing Da Vinci and Basquiat to The Da Vinci Code of course, just saying if those are the only artists you can discuss despite being a "big" art fan...I'm probably going to assume you have a very thin surface interest in art. The gaming equivalent would probably be a "huge" Final Fantasy fan who has only played VII.

I thought Jay was going to drop a personal album. He just had a daughter, how does that impact his view on women in hip hop or his past behavior. He's married to a icon and thus can barely take her anywhere for a truly intimate evening. But instead he pretty much dismisses all of that with casual throwaway lines here or there, which we're left to stitch together to form any type of portrait.

Ultimately this is the work of someone who has never truly been a great writer. Great writers can not only express themselves through music, they can paint pictures of others, walk in shoes that aren't their own, give us a glimpse of something we're not familiar with, etc. Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Bruce Springsteen, etc have done that in their respected genres. In hip hop KRS-One, 2pac, and Nas (the "projects window" view) come to mind. Jay-Z still talks and acts like he's living in someone else's shadow, trying to impress the big man (Jaz, Big, etc).

Maybe he really should just stick to rapping about crack. I never thought I'd say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom