• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
4a52ovy.png

caesar

Banned
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTRONICA ‏@JayElectronica 4 Jul
ok. now it’s my turn. Lets Go.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTRONICA ‏@JayElectronica 23h
Act II: Patents Of Nobilty (the turn)

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTRONICA ‏@JayElectronica 23h
every magic trick consists of 3 parts: the pledge, the turn and the Prestige.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTRONICA ‏@JayElectronica 20h
Act I: the magician shows you something ordinary. a bird. a deck of cards, or a #man.

believe.gif

t8IHP.gif

coldvein

Banned

daaaamn yasiin .. that shit is intense..

ps, just bought tickets to dessa and sims. anybody coming with me? :D

sadly the new dessa record was late in arriving and i haven't had much chance to listen to it. all i got was one playthrough while arguing with my girlfriend in the car so that doesn't really count, but what i managed to hear wasn't really grabbing me ..

So over the weekend I went out of town, drove from GA to FL like 5 hours. During the road trip my dude threw Graduation on.
I'm convinced now that its Kanye's weakest album. All of his other albums have a theme, a sound, something that makes it a cohesive listening experience.
CD has the classic sped up soul sample style throughout. Its sort of like the quintessential early 2000s hip-hop album. The epitome of what hip-hop pretty much was at the time.

LR is more jazz and blues influenced, with some more ecletic samples.
808s is pretty self explanatory. MBDTF is hedonistic, dark, Black Roman Empire raps with a small dash of humility. Like Kanye wrestling with the inner demons of his rise to fame. Yeezus is if he lost to those inner demons and just went full Nero on the rap world.

Graduation has nothing really holding it together like that. Its just a collection of songs, a handful of them worth listening to, with 1 or 2 bangers and the rest filler. It has songs that have no place on the album, like Barry Bonds. Its also probably his weakest on the production front as well. Bittersweet isn't a terrible song, but that fucking beat makes it grating to listen to. Homecoming is just a recycle of an old Freshman Adjustment song with a new beat. That fucking sample on Champion.

Novid

Banned
Graduation is one of his better albums and it did had a theme, what you going towards and what you leaving behind.

kamspy

None of the "school" albums aged worth a damn. Couple songs off each, but I don't understand people wanting him to go back to that style.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
None of the "school" albums aged worth a damn. Couple songs off each, but I don't understand people wanting him to go back to that style.

I found they hadn't aged well either. I loved college dropout and was disappointed when I went back to it last year. Was never a fan of jesus walks but I remember liking everything else. I found myself bored very quickly with about half the album. LR fared a little better but still has a few gaping holes of boredom. And Graduation is all flash no substance. It has some really fun tracks but I find myself jamming out for half the song and then hitting skip the second half. I think part of the problem is I over-saturated myself on CD especially. It was pretty much the only thing I listened to for about 2 months when it first dropped. Listening still gives me flashbacks of driving around southern florida all young dumb and full of cum.

Still have great memories of enjoying the CD and LR, but they don't get much play anymore besides a few songs. Still better than anything he's done since.

Esch

Banned
Dude. He was giving out features in 2011 like Miley will be giving out handjibbers at the 2013 million man march. Rae is all about the money.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

I liked the school albums more than most of his newer projects. Regardless of that can we all agree Diamonds are forever is still lush as fuck. And that Rita G in the flashing light video is still the hest video girl kanye's worked with

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
daaaamn yasiin .. that shit is intense..

ps, just bought tickets to dessa and sims. anybody coming with me? :D

sadly the new dessa record was late in arriving and i haven't had much chance to listen to it. all i got was one playthrough while arguing with my girlfriend in the car so that doesn't really count, but what i managed to hear wasn't really grabbing me ..

I'd go with you, but you live in some weird place, IIRC. Dessa is the shit.

DominoKid

can anyone from the south please explain the appeal of "donk" cars.

WTF!

if i said my initial reaction to that i'd probably get banned lol

that big rim shit only looks good on old cars IMO. when they jack it up, that's where they lose me.

i fucks w/ this for example
1971-Chevrolet-Impala-coupe-donk-a.jpg

but not this
impala-donk.jpg

Ultimately this is the work of someone who has never truly been a great writer. Great writers can not only express themselves through music, they can paint pictures of others, walk in shoes that aren't their own, give us a glimpse of something we're not familiar with, etc. Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Bruce Springsteen, etc have done that in their respected genres. In hip hop KRS-One, 2pac, and Nas (the "projects window" view) come to mind. Jay-Z still talks and acts like he's living in someone else's shadow, trying to impress the big man (Jaz, Big, etc).
its like Meet the Parents, Soon Youll Understand, Hardknock Life and Coming of Age dont exist.at least Jay has a good ear for beats. He aint as consistently good at concept shit as Nas or Em. But hes never done anything as lame as Shoot Em Up or Fack.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
What a day. My wife is leaving, going back home to her family. This was a mutually decided direction for our marriage. I wasn't happy, she was okay with things, but really missed her family which live about 20 hours away by car. So it was a sad day already, but then today I go to work and find out that I got laid off. I got a nice severance package out of it, but damn, man.

Once my wife leaves tomorrow, this is going to a House of Pac. Going to listen to those jams, drown my sorrows in his memory and assorted alcoholic beverages. I give myself 3 days to feel sorry for myself, then back to the grind of finding another gig...and another woman.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
What a day. My wife is leaving, going back home to her family. This was a mutually decided direction for our marriage. I wasn't happy, she was okay with things, but really missed her family which live about 20 hours away by car. So it was a sad day already, but then today I go to work and find out that I got laid off. I got a nice severance package out of it, but damn, man.

Once my wife leaves tomorrow, this is going to a House of Pac. Going to listen to those jams, drown my sorrows in his memory and assorted alcoholic beverages. I give myself 3 days to feel sorry for myself, then back to the grind of finding another gig...and another woman.

Damn man, I'm sorry shit's so rough. Just don't give up on life having more opportunities.

jbug617

Banned
Jay-Z been answering tweets for a while. I guess the big thing is that WTT2 is real and there is a finished version of Dead Presidents 3. He gave Just Blaze or Young Guru the okay to release the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom