• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

I'm late as hell on the bronies discussion but I just saw that thread...wtf...someone being a bronie is a red flag for being a fucked up pervert. By itself it can be argued it doesn't harm anyone but the person watching the show, but to me it's a warning sign that someone has a fucked up psyche and might end up diddling children or strangling a midget hooker to death while dressed like a horse.

to you, sure

byUVC0k.jpg

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I'd love for someone to ask Jay-Z what the album titles means.
Pretty sure it was just a play on his last name

Ironic that the last album he did was about be a king and the title of this one is named after the one thing that made kings human

Detox

Apt name for the album considering the magna carta limited the power of the king and Jay's skill is waning. Make way for the new King Kendrick Lamar.

Edit: Omg how did that just happen. Great minds think alike blah blah

CRS

Someone that obsessive over ANY series/form of media, regardless of the content, is unstable in some way.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Ironic that the last album he did was about be a king and the title of this one is named after the one thing that made kings human

Apt name for the album considering the magna carta limited the power of the king and Jay's skill is waning. Make way for the new King Kendrick Lamar.

wow that is actually kind of deep and self aware..... and well dope

If he made the personal album PP would still be complaining

That's not true. I actually like a lot of the personal stuff on Kingdom Come, which isn't a horrible album. I think the negative reaction that album received pretty much birthed modern Jay. He hasn't taken a single risk since then, and vicariously feeds off the popularity of current stars (Drake/CudiWayne/etc).

Remember, BP3 initially had autotune but the songs didn't come out well. THEN Jay decided to go on the "fuck autotune" campaign.

DominoKid

yep.

to borrow from the coli:

Which brings me to my next point. To call this your Magna Carta, Holy Grail, jay is right. This is his Magna Carta.

The Magna Carta was a document in medieval Europe, forced upon the royalty. Limiting the arbitrary powers of King John of England.

The holy grail in legend is a chalice said to hold the blood of Jesus Christ. In modern culture, a holy grail is considered a work to be the 'magnum opus' or highest manifestation of a subject, held in such high regard is considered to be holy.

This 'work' is, in fact, Jay-Z's Magna Carta Holy Grail (consider me here). He parades himself like hiphops thriller, boasts about 12 #1 albums, stares the whole genre down on 'Verses', claiming a royal divinity of sorts, with sovereign claim to the throne. To me, this album is what I claim the Magna Carta. The document limiting his claim as 'GOAT'

This is his holy grail because it is the very blood of his career. The production on this album, is top notch. It bangs, it knocks, it gives you a heavy headbop reminiscent of whiplash. The features, were nearly sacred, they way it was executed so spiritually. Then u got Jay. His adlibs, his flow & lyrics (SOMETIMES!), is downright SWAGGERLESS

Lyrically its same braggadocio rap he been doing. Yes, jewels here and there (YES, I AGREE) but it comes full circle to him rapping yet again about a bugatti. Where's the depth, where's the presence that every other element of the same track produces! In nearly every track it's redundant bragging, zero depth (most of the time), son is a feature, a sidekick, a little brother.

But he's right though, this album defines his very career, Holy Grail. He's not the ***** in the front. He's not the presence that calls the stars into order. He's not the originator. He didn't make anything. He's the lackee, the leech, the backpack. The aspect that's the least talented, but strings along riding the coattails of what IS hot (the beat & features) then packages it in his name effectively blurring the lines, now you have ****** calling HIM great.

This is what you goo-goos are going gaga over? This album would be far better if it was cut in half.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Even though I agree in essence with what he is saying, that dude sounds like he is auditioning for a job at pitchfork. Pretentious bullshit.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Calling him a leech for going to the trend he helped create great point

Tokubetsu

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTRONICA ‏@JayElectronica 4 Jul
ok. now it’s my turn. Lets Go.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTRONICA ‏@JayElectronica 23h
Act II: Patents Of Nobilty (the turn)

every magic trick consists of 3 parts: the pledge, the turn and the Prestige.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTRONICA ‏@JayElectronica 20h
Act I: the magician shows you something ordinary. a bird. a deck of cards, or a #man.

believe.gif

No.

Dereck

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTRONICA ‏@JayElectronica 4 Jul
ok. now it’s my turn. Lets Go.

Act II: Patents Of Nobilty (the turn)

every magic trick consists of 3 parts: the pledge, the turn and the Prestige.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTRONICA ‏@JayElectronica 20h
Act I: the magician shows you something ordinary. a bird. a deck of cards, or a #man.

believe.gif
Well that's just stupid. He should put more effort into releasing some music, plain and simple.

Detox

To raise awareness especially since it is coinciding with Ramadan. It's a very graphic and direct way of demonstrating how detainees, some of whom have not been charged with a crime and are cleared for release, are being treated. This isn't even as bad as it gets, the detainee is forced by guards in riot gear into the feeding room and they are later watched sometimes while restrained in the chair for an hour to ensure they don't vomit it out. You have to realise going on hunger strike is the only form of protest these guys have, one detainees said "[hunger strikes are] the only way I have left to cry out for life, freedom and dignity"

I think it's a great thing Mos is doing, far more effective than a song that the mainstream would ignore whereas this gets to the point in a simple and raw way.

I think there were four issues with Kingdom Come:

1) Production (He went to Dr. Dre for Executive Production. This was probably the point I felt like Dre didn't have it anymore. And it shows in no Detox and lackluster singles from the aftermentioned album).

2) The Theme of the album was to parrot the comic of the same name. However, Jay has always had an issue with presenting a cohesive theme on album except for maybe Reasonable Doubt, American Gangster (and possibly Black Album).

3) Jay-Z came back wearing the 45. Just like Jordan during his initial return from retirement, Jay-Z "skills" seemed diminish. A perfect example was on the Funkmaster Flex Freestyle (Grammy Family).

4) Jay is sensitive. It's been evident since Blueprint 2. It pops up on this album, and comes across as whining.

I haven't listened to Magna Carter. But Jay-Z hasn't exactly been known for inventive album titles, covers or being daring with his music.

codhand

that p4k review is bitter and political.

MCHG features some of the most uninspired, pathetic name-dropping I've seen since The Game. Maybe Jay-Z is really into art, but his focus on the most well known and obvious pieces strikes me as a sign of fronting.

yep. pure dilettantism.

I think Young Guru said Kingdom Come was rushed by LA Reid.

All his albums are rushed. He doesn't spend a lot of time crafting his albums. They're one take, one week (or a month if that).

Like I said in my last post, Hov is an example of the new generation, unable to craft cohesive albums and themes. Albums are just song collections (nothing wrong with that).

Novid

Banned
MCHG features some of the most uninspired, pathetic name-dropping I've seen since The Game. Maybe Jay-Z is really into art, but his focus on the most well known and obvious pieces strikes me as a sign of fronting. Like a book enthusiast name drops Dean Koontz and Dan Brown. I'm not comparing Da Vinci and Basquiat to The Da Vinci Code of course, just saying if those are the only artists you can discuss despite being a "big" art fan...I'm probably going to assume you have a very thin surface interest in art. The gaming equivalent would probably be a "huge" Final Fantasy fan who has only played VII.

I thought Jay was going to drop a personal album. He just had a daughter, how does that impact his view on women in hip hop or his past behavior. He's married to a icon and thus can barely take her anywhere for a truly intimate evening. But instead he pretty much dismisses all of that with casual throwaway lines here or there, which we're left to stitch together to form any type of portrait.

Ultimately this is the work of someone who has never truly been a great writer. Great writers can not only express themselves through music, they can paint pictures of others, walk in shoes that aren't their own, give us a glimpse of something we're not familiar with, etc. Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Bruce Springsteen, etc have done that in their respected genres. In hip hop KRS-One, 2pac, and Nas (the "projects window" view) come to mind. Jay-Z still talks and acts like he's living in someone else's shadow, trying to impress the big man (Jaz, Big, etc).

It is a bit sad, but it is the truth. He was never a good writer. The problem is that he haphazardly complains about his daughter in one word and in the next word says he loves her - that's that crap I hear from older black folk in the hood and it makes me retch. To me, ether a child is a outright blessing or an outright curse. Take your pick.
Let me not get started on the whole issue using Teen Spirit -and making it some sort of Brony tastic number. I hope Francis Bean is happy because im not.

Novid

Banned
what the hell is a brony tastic number?

to keep it short, it sounds right, it might feel right, but is totally wrong - The "Remake" of Teen Spirit as it were is treated as a throwaway song, just like BronyCulture treats animation as throwaway product.

thabiz

to keep it short, it sounds right, it might feel right, but is totally wrong - The "Remake" of Teen Spirit as it were is treated as a throwaway song, just like BronyCulture treats animation as throwaway product.

how is using two lines from a song, that are not even the same, a "remake"?

codhand

way to tie it all together for us

Esch

Banned
Jigga complaining about his babby versus Nas rapping about dealing with his daughter catching backshots from thirsty randoms on instagram

Rock and a hard place

Daughter was an honest song that actually revealed Nas' faults as a father, it's not about shaming his daughter. It's real.

That's what Nas does as a writer. Eminem is also good at analyzing himself on wax, and providing a window into certain lifestyles.

Novid

Banned
Daughter was an honest song that actually revealed Nas' faults as a father, it's not about shaming his daughter. It's real.

That's what Nas does as a writer. Eminem is also good at analyzing himself on wax, and providing a window into certain lifestyles.

Kanye is good at this as well, but then again...anger can do a lot to a person.

Detox

Hov is spitting those empty republican yacht-rap rhymes.
Yup in one of his verses the rhymes are just million, million, million, billion, feeling, ceiling, top, top, stop. No wonder he used to get turfed from jams at headcourterz, not even papoose would let that slide.

HiResDes

Feeling this Enter the 36 Tentacles quite a bit, about to check out the Open Mike Eagle now. Billy Woods album was too much like a lesser rate Run the Jewels or even Alice in Thunderdome for the production to be memorable, but dude is spitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom