• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Rap God and Kendrick's Cipher verse threads are equally terrible.

Now that we've got some lyricists back in the forefront, people are acting like every okay verse is some sacred shit. Pavlov grinning from his grave right now.

overcast

In a good way or a bad way?
Well it's kind of funny. Arguing about racism and homophobia. Foolish Pride being brought up for the former.

Enzo, the Cypher shit is supposed to be lyrical though. Idk. It's always causing people to lose their shit in some way. Not supposed to be bumping them for months or anything.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Well it's kind of funny. Arguing about racism and homophobia. Foolish Pride being brought up for the former.

Enzo, the Cypher shit is supposed to be lyrical though. Idk. It's always causing people to lose their shit in some way. Not supposed to be bumping them for months or anything.
I'm not crtiicizing it for being listenable though, it just wasn't that great and there were a lot of meh lines including the jab at Drake. No memorable quotables, nothing.

Rittz, Jay Rock, the entirety of Slaughterhouse, that Italian guy, whoever that Jon Connor guy is, etc. all had more entertaining cypher verses than Kendrick.

I'll only say rittz, Jon Conner and Q had comparable verses

Also that ab soul we want war line is being slept on, he had a good verse. He just got a bit depressing though oh man

And Irish, I played the first three. Pretty decent series, just wanted to attack something you love lol

IrishNinja

lotta dudes that only focus on the mainstream are/have been at uncharted's drake-lost-in-the-desert level thirstiness after being bombarded for years by YMCBM and now trap shit/etc, so yeah, hearing Em not fucking up & someone being consistently lyrical is huge to them and its ultra hypebeast mode.

i love kendrick and i know this is kind've a dumb thing whenever its said, but in that 90s lyrical miracle era so many (myself included) harken back to he'd be another name; not saying GKMC woudln't be a classic but maybe it'd fly under the radar like Enter Da Stage or whatever Canibus was doing before discovering basement alchemy.

when you aint been listening to shit but the radio for a minute & hear something that fits the positive side of your drake/etc false dichotomy, it's prolly a bit like how poli-GAF feelt the last couple of election nights

edit mannnn disco you done quit before 4? that's the best one dude, go back when you get a chance!

I'd say him mentioning the Control verse putting sensitive rappers in their pajama clothes, and his foot in the game's ass count as quotables.

Heel Kendrick delivering those lines was > every other verse in the cyphers. It's provocative, it gets the people going.

banecopy3aqgj.jpg

overcast

I'm not crtiicizing it for being listenable though, it just wasn't that great and there were a lot of meh lines including the jab at Drake. No memorable quotables, nothing.
The jab at Drake is super memorable. Same with the "foot in your ass" line.

I really thought Rock did great though, Q did good, but Rock impressed me more.

Irish, I'm not sure that GKMC is what I would call a "lyrical miracle" album at all. That's not the only appeal of it to me at least.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
lotta dudes that only focus on the mainstream are/have been at uncharted's drake-lost-in-the-desert level thirstiness after being bombarded for years by YMCBM and now trap shit/etc, so yeah, hearing Em not fucking up & someone being consistently lyrical is huge to them and its ultra hypebeast mode.

i love kendrick and i know this is kind've a dumb thing whenever its said, but in that 90s lyrical miracle era so many (myself included) harken back to he'd be another name; not saying GKMC woudln't be a classic but maybe it'd fly under the radar like Enter Da Stage or whatever Canibus was doing before discovering basement alchemy.

when you aint been listening to shit but the radio for a minute & hear something that fits the positive side of your drake/etc false dichotomy, it's prolly a bit like how poli-GAF feelt the last couple of election nights

edit mannnn disco you done quit before 4? that's the best one dude, go back when you get a chance!

Nah I think kendrick's album would of got a lot of love on the underground/backpacker fans in the late 90's early 00's. To me its the equivalent of common's BE but from a newer artist in a weaker era (aka the return of ja rule known as drake) so it gets a lot more Hype (plus that aftermath machine is EPIC) . BE come's out in the modern era and real heads would say "that album is a certified classic" same goes for GKMC. The album Enta da stage and that era is so removed from now is aesthetic, the industry, and basically rap's viability in the main stream i don't know if they are comparable.

It would be like trying to comparing the Black Keys stuff to Nirvana and vice versa (those who know rock music forgive my rock analogy if it sucks. I am a stranger in a strange land with that topic lol)

Recon

Banned
I never took GKMC as a lyrical album. I loved it for it's theme and well constructed narrative that he brilliantly weaved throughout the album. The lyrics were nice too though.

IrishNinja

yeah i dont mean to say ken/GKMC is that, but no one's really trying to hear that shit anymore, same with rappity rap. i do think there's a lotta overlap between fans of the former and current k-dot fans though,

we've been hearing for years that lyricism is "coming back" but the radio's had some of the worst lil wayne metaphors ive heard, big sean's COPYWRITTEN super duper shit style, and again that same crowd highlighting anything this side of drake for, again, painting 2 or 3 pictures very well like an autistic kid with a big heart but faintly smells like mayonnaise.

ya'll just got done a few pages back talmbout how this same crowd is entirely immune to danny brown & nearly half the shit we rock in this thread...why then be surprised when said group can't wait to stan out to something that manages to reach them? it was just pointed out how many of those LUPE GON SAVE HIP HOP crowd jumped over; it's that M.O. and shouldn't surprise anyone is my point

Nah I think kendrick's album would of got a lot of love on the underground/backpacker fans in the late 90's early 00's. To me its the equivalent of common's BE but from a newer artist in a weaker era (aka the return of ja rule known as drake) so it gets a lot more Hype (plus that aftermath machine is EPIC) . BE come's out in the modern era and real heads would say "that album is a certified classic" same goes for GKMC. The album Enta da stage and that era is so removed from now is aesthetic, the industry, and basically rap's viability in the main stream i don't know if they are comparable.

late 90s to early 00's when it was bad boy, then dipset etc on the radio? kinda made my point: the same crowd that dug blackstar/etc at that time would dig it, but the mainstream crowd im referring to would still have next to 0 exposure to it. when they did - say when Get By by kweli broke through, where refelection eternal & prior stuff with mos didnt - you prolly had the same typa dudes on about hip hop being saved etc

Zeus Molecules

so wait their are "the return of lyrics" groupies..... I need to meet some of those man cause they sound like they would be fun

Zeus Molecules

no you don't; it's all dudes and most of us them don't shower or work

ahhh .... nm then I had an image of a chick with braids, anhk tattoo's and a weed addiction.... who recites nas while she rolls......

good point abou Get by and it was weird seeing dudes on talib's crotch so late in his career.... so basically the only thing propping up kendrick is Aftermath. .... I can see it

IrishNinja

ahhh .... nm then I had an image of a chick with braids, anhk tattoo's and a weed addiction.... who recites nas while she rolls......

wish granted
you wake up in bed with a hefty 43 year old haitian transit worker, who's quoting "God loves us" while asking you to rub her diabetic cankles to encourage perfusion

listening to this Boldy James album, some thoughts

1. best Alchemist production since Covert Coup. Might even be better

2. I need to download Vince Staples' mixtape. Dude just flew by on a track and made me wish this was his album

Boldy isn't bad but isn't taking complete advantage of these beats. Dope voice though, helps him get by.

Recon

Banned
Just watching the TDE cypher, that new guy aint bad, kinda reminds me of Kendrick a bit.

Edit: Shit, Kendrick just killed it. I hope that is the Kendrick we get for the next album.

because it's so bad that even BET wouldn't fuck with it
Since when is BET relevant. Yeezus got great reviews, it'll be fine I'm sure.

I hope Kendrick spits this hungry on his next album. Just straight up spitting. I'm sure he'll have mellow shit on there too but rap wise lately he's been rapping like he did before Section80. I want to hear that over some dope beats. Not busy production like Backseat Freestyle...give me some hard shit.

Also I hope he's looking for a hit early. What's he gonna do, a club song? Unlikely. A Cole-esque love song? Bleh...

thabiz

listening to this Boldy James album, some thoughts

1. best Alchemist production since Covert Coup. Might even be better

2. I need to download Vince Staples' mixtape. Dude just flew by on a track and made me wish this was his album

Boldy isn't bad but isn't taking complete advantage of these beats. Dope voice though, helps him get by.

Alc has crushed it this year.

codhand

Damn, Kendrick did snap on that Sprite commercial, but those dude need some stage presence 101.

just my two salts...

Obey your thirst yall

spritex8s5s.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The jab at Drake is super memorable. Same with the "foot in your ass" line.

I really thought Rock did great though, Q did good, but Rock impressed me more.

Irish, I'm not sure that GKMC is what I would call a "lyrical miracle" album at all. That's not the only appeal of it to me at least.
HA-HA line right after ruins it for me. I guess it's still memorable though.

Esch

Banned
GAFHOP, why did I need The Coli to tell me there was an Alc x Mc Eiht x Spice 1 album coming? Cmon yall. I thought you were drinking milk from the alc titty.

codhand

GAFHOP, why did I need The Coli to tell me there was an Alc x Mc Eiht x Spice 1 album coming? Cmon yall. I thought you were drinking milk from the alc titty.

wait, youre the one who got a conjugal visit from him when you did that short bid i thought??

187 He Wrote > Amerikkka > 1990-Sick

joelseph

Intro (Prod. by Shozae) 01:00
Psyche (Prod. by Shozae) 02:41
Everything is Everything ft. JK the Rapper (Prod. by Grandmilly) 03:36
All for You ft. Don Geo (Prod. by Necedah) 03:31
Rare Documents ft. Tenny (Prod. by The Radicals) 02:54
Prayer Rugs (Prod. by Alpha Gen) 03:00
Mick Foley (Prod. by Blanco Yamaguchi) 04:10
Supreme ft. Tenny (Prod. by The Radicals) 03:14
C.I.A. (Choices In Aaron) (Prod. by The Radicals) 03:57
Urban Terrain ft. Tenny (Prod. by The Radicals) 02:40
Propaganda (Interlude) (Prod. by NDT75) 02:00
Propaganda (Prod. by NDT75) 02:01
Armageddon (Prod. by Iman Omari) 01:44
Blood Bath (Prod. by Shozae) 01:49
Open Your I (Prod. by Rellim) 03:00
Spartacus (Prod. by NDT75) 01:43
Necro (Prod. by NDT75) 02:08

codhand

I couldn't go ._.

Had some family shit to deal with ._____________.

ah, family first

i had an offer from a friend who was adamant back in 2000 that he could get my beats to alc the god, never worked out....

Crazy how long he's been going and how he's only gotten better and better.

codhand

i care, they never put out a bad album, but sen-dog has sucked hard the last few outings, meanwhile b-real actually killed it on Trap Lord.

muggs is a top ten, all-time producer.

also one of the top five, all-time, live hip-hop acts.

Esch

Banned
I really need Muggs and GZA to team up again. Muggs spacey shit will go far to cover up how weak GZA is on the mic recently. Grandmasters II? Great Grandmasters?

edit: Also, cmon guys. Stop giving Ken Masters the time of day. It used to be funny for a while, now it's older than the hopsin jokes.

I really need Muggs and GZA to team up again. Muggs spacey shit will go far to cover up how weak GZA is on the mic recently. Grandmasters II? Great Grandmasters?

edit: Also, cmon guys. Stop giving Ken Masters the time of day. It used to be funny for a while, now it's older than the hopsin jokes.

I was really hoping the GZA and King Khan collaborations would lead someplace, I still kinda do. Wu-Tang and Garage Rock, basically all I listened to in HS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom