• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Why does Danny need to be on TDE? He's got his own thing, they got theirs. I'd rather they stay more competitive than go buddy buddy. I dont think Danny fits well musically with anyone in there besides Q anyway.

PBY

Banned
Why does Danny need to be on TDE? He's got his own thing, they got theirs. I'd rather they stay more competitive than go buddy buddy. I dont think Danny fits well musically with anyone in there besides Q anyway.
Totally agree.

Although I wouldn't say no to a Danny, Q, ASAP supergroup album.

Kwixotik

Do you guys think the Gucci/waka beef over waka being disloyal was over him doing the guest verse on murda something? Gucci was pissed about ferg calling his album trap lord.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Aight, im in charge of the music for my house party tonite.

i got a couple of aces mixes on here, but since this shit mihgt go all nite im lookin for more.

im 2nd g&t in. so lets do this before i get dumb.

Esch

Banned
yeah idk why im posting this either but it resonated w/me for some reason

e82Xm4N.jpg

Esch

Banned
I'm listening to some musique concrete for one of my classes...

I've listened to it before, it's stupid as shit. And this is coming from a dude who has fucked with free jazz, dark ambient, plenty of things in the 5-6 range. But i like a lot of things in the upper ones. I think I'm like a 3 or 4, lmao.

Q is gonna fuck around and not even sell 50k in a week. No radio play, no traction, no nothing. I say again, why hasn't he gotten a Mike Will single or something? Collard Greens is HORRIBLE.

yeah idk why im posting this either but it resonated w/me for some reason

This is great. Assuming it's supposed to say "Krautrock," I'm at least dipping my toe into Level 5 and 6. I don't know if I can go higher (or lower, I guess), bruh, I'm not built for the rest of that.

Esch

Banned
Drone is so goddamn stupid. Theres some solid stuff by Merzbow and The Angelic Process, Stars of the Lid but the rest is turrible.

PBY

Banned
I can fuck with every level on that chart. As with everything, context matters. I can listen to ghost drone or musique concrete given the right mood/mindset.
But 9 times out of ten Im just in the mood for some basic shit.

Btw- fuck buttons live was an experience. Great show.

Still willing to avatar bet someone that Q sells more than 50K first week.

Sounds like TDE gonna finish October strong at least. No new King Kendrick though.

IrishNinja

streets ain't a place for innocent bystanders to stand/nothing's gonna stop the plan
chill like pacino, kill like deniro/black gambino, die like a hero

cdyhybrid

Kendrick just got off stage. They started like 2 hours late and he was only on for like 40 minutes max. He sounded alright even with the shitty sound up in the nosebleeds of Key Arena.

m.A.A.d City got the crowd hype as fuck, but other than that the biggest reaction was everyone completely missing the point of Swimming Pools.

Edit: Also - hypebeasts and Pyrex everywhere.

Kimosabae

Banned
I dont really use symbols. I used to write on paper but now I write on the computer and I just hit return whenever i reach the end of a bar. Althougb sometimes when I'm trying something a little more esoteric and ghostfacey that doesn't work for me. But for the most part im a pretty straight forward "heres the end of the bar, hit return and go to the next line".
Often times however, as I am going over the lines after having written them, I will find that something I wrote works better split into two bars or combined into one, so I will go back and change that. Also as far as emphasis, sometimes if there is a word I really want to stand out or if I plan on dragging it out or doing something odd with it ill give it its own line or I will put comas before and after the word. I don't really write with that kind of thing in mind though. Rather, after I have written my verse, and I am going over it outloud, I will notice certain lines or words need to be stressed more and I'll just naturally say it that way because it works to make the flow better. If I am in a rush I may bold or italicize the word/phrase to help me remember to stress it more or say it in a different way, but otherwise I trust in my experience to know how a bar should sound. I am not a good rapper by any means, I'm kind of trash to be honest. But I have been writing and recording for fun for the last 15+ years so the technical aspects I have down pretty well (getting the lyrics to be on beat, changing things up on the fly, that kind of stuff).

As far as bar structure, everyone has a different style, but rappers who ignore bar structure struggle to find much of an audience. You have to be saying something truly profound, otherwise you might as well be doing spoken word at some def jam poetry slam. If you think you can make that style work for you, that stream of consciousness style rap where you just go and don't really try to stay on beat or go bar for bar, then go for it, do what you feel comfortable with. But in my opinion (and my opinion could certainly be shit in this case) I consider that lazy rap. Part of rap is going on beat and making what you have to say flow smoothly. But thats just me, and like I said, I barely know what the fuck i'm talking about half the time.

Well, I see nothing wrong with it. I just find it interesting how different our overall approach is. I can't give any tips that would help the way you go about it. It is interesting though.

I haven't listened to the track though, can't atm

It's been years since I rapped but as far as structure goes when actually writing out bars I found visual cues immensely helpful when writing. I typically ended my bars with a " //~ " symbol and often wrote words in a way that made me read them how they would be pronounced if the scheme required a specific pronunciation. I found that helped both when you're writing as well as when you're first learning/memorizing your own verses.

Early on I also used dashes to denote what my multi's were and constantly repeated my lines as I was writing each new bar so that the idea behind each bar would be fresh. At the same time repeating as I was writing would be the first sort of vetting process in terms of figuring out if the line really fit or if the idea behind the bar was good enough.

All that said, I never wrote entire verses unless it was to a beat or instrumental. It's just too difficult to make an acapella written verse fit with a beat unless the beat is a loop AND the verse is stiffly structured and in those cases the result is usually a pretty boring listen. Writing to the instrumental allows you to play with your flow and experiment with change ups in both your cadence and along with the beat.

Good looks, fam. I appreciate the insight. Siddx in particular for the extra effort.

Esch

Banned
Hype=/=albums bought.

Especially if youre talking about a fat ugly guy with boring music, who's already souring his core dude fanbase.

overcast

Hype=/=albums bought.

Especially if youre talking about a fat ugly guy with boring music, who's already souring his core dude fanbase.
His music is far from boring, that's your opinion though. Fat/ugly is true, his fan base will run back as soon as a release date/track list is announced.

50K+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom