• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
lol I knew MMLP2 had zero chance in this thread but some of ya'll are going a little overboard. It's not amazing but there are some great tracks on here. Some really shitty ones as well to be fair...but still it will get a few play throughs and probably 4 or 5 tracks at least will get tossed on the mega playlist. Brainless and Evil Twin are far and away the standouts for me.

codhand

inl68btHOgbpw.gif

HiiiLife

lol I knew MMLP2 had zero chance in this thread but some of ya'll are going a little overboard. It's not amazing but there are some great tracks on here. Some really shitty ones as well to be fair...but still it will get a few play throughs and probably 4 or 5 tracks at least will get tossed on the mega playlist. Brainless and Evil Twin are far and away the standouts for me.

Waiting to replace the five weakest tracks with the five bonus songs because let's face it, he has a history of having more enjoyable bonus tracks than the actual standard tracks. Lol. Will substitute bonus ones and play it for people to try and fool them that the album is good.

siddx

Waiting to replace the five weakest tracks with the five bonus songs because let's face it, he has a history of having more enjoyable bonus tracks than the actual standard tracks. Lol. Will substitute bonus ones and play it for people to try and fool them that the album is good.

Yeah same here. Theres a good album to be salvaged, just gotta get rid of the truly awful tracks. Stronger than I was, Legacy, Assholee, and the Monster will all get dumped.

HiiiLife

Yeah same here. Theres a good album to be salvaged, just gotta get rid of the truly awful tracks. Stronger than I was, Legacy, Assholee, and the Monster will all get dumped.

Asshole, Berzerk, Survival and Monster will definitely be chilling in my recycle bin when the bonus tracks drop. I'll find a fifth one for shits & giggles.

>_> @ the reactions to MMLP2 on both sides of the spectrum.

Some of y'all are either face deep in Eminem's ass or almost literally pulling your pubes out in rage

In other news, that EP with Spitta x Smoke DZA x Harry Fraud was pretty nice. Short as hell, I would have preferred only Curren$y on it, but DZA wasn't too annoying...

Squalor

>_> @ the reactions to MMLP2 on both sides of the spectrum.
Seems like a lot of the outright hatred in places around the Internet for the album is coming from people who never liked Eminem from the beginning, so there's that.

It's a palatable-enough album. It's definitely not his worst, but it's far from his best.

A mid-tier Eminem album is slightly better than I thought he could do.

codhand

Seems like a lot of the outright hatred in places around the Internet for the album is coming from people who never liked Eminem from the beginning, so there's that.

It's a palatable-enough album. It's definitely not his worst, but it's far from his best.

it's just an even more annoying version of his last shit
with like 6 believe in yourself/overcome all obstacles white trash fascist rhymes
with female hooks
with real dated references to celebrity beef

Esch

Banned
Dont understand the hate for dza in this topic. He basically raps like a sleepy schoolboy anyway and yall are always inhaling that dudes nuts.

codhand

Dont understand the hate for dza in this topic. He basically raps like a sleepy schoolboy anyway and yall are always inhaling that dudes nuts.

i just didnt like rhyming 'not', with 'gar', and saying gar.

maybe what krit needs is a group, when he isnt the focus, i think i like it more..

the ep is a great listen

siddx

I like dza way more than currensy and don't get why gaf is all over currensy's nuts. Dza is far more entertaining. Currensy just makes me want to go find a comfy couch to take a nap on.

And I want it on the record I used to give schoolboy emmense amounts of shit. I was 110% fuck that dude for a long time. But for whatever reason his shit clicked with me months after it came out and I had already dismissed it.

As far as the em album, I won't lie, a part of me probably forces myself to like his shit more than it deserves. When I think of emibem, I think of being a junior in high school and buying the slim shady lp and being blown away. I have so many good memories from listening to sslp and later mmlp. It's like looking back on a relationship that was amazing for a while and then went to hell. At first you are bitter at the fact things went to hell and that you can't recapture that feeling and magic. But eventually you just accept it will never be like it was, that joy isn't coming back, and you accept them for who they are now.
I'm drunk.

codhand

i feel like the spirit behind it is real, real negative and fascist, like fuck everyone else and kill everyone, im at the top of this pile of bodies

so many people love this shit without irony it's scary

siddx

Also codhand, I have a bunch of shit written for those first five beats you posted ages ago, I've just been lazy in finishing it up and recording, tryibg to decide whether to do home recording or shell out for a studio here. If you have more beats though I'd love to write more shit to them. Love your style of production. I wanna make a little hand of cod ep.

People keep talking about it like rose tinted glasses are the only reason they like MMLP2 at all but I don't think it's true. It's far more likely that your tastes have changed through listening to new artists with different styles. That's not to say that the album is on par with Em's greatest albums.. but the highs on MMLP2 are up there with some of the better tracks in his career. The lows are lower than a good portion of his career though too... so you have a middling to slightly above middling album overall. I still find it enjoyable but you won't find me calling it anything near a GOTY album.

Anybody calling it amazing or absolute trash is exaggerating in either direction.

Squalor

it's just an even more annoying version of his last shit
with like 6 believe in yourself/overcome all obstacles white trash fascist rhymes
with female hooks
with real dated references to celebrity beef
Do you even know what the word "fascist" means, or did you just hear it in your history class and think it was cool?

I really couldn't care less what you think about the album. You don't like it, so you won't listen to it. That doesn't affect me at all.

But throwing out the word "fascist" is preposterous.

siddx

Do you even know what the word "fascist" means, or did you just hear it in your history class and think it was cool?

I really couldn't care less what you think about the album. You don't like it, so you won't listen to it. That doesn't affect me at all.

But throwing out the word "fascist" is preposterous.

Don't come in here talking out the side if your mouth at codhand. This is gaf hop, we are allowed to say ridiculous shut like calling em fascist.

Esch

Banned
People love curren$y because he is one of the few hip hop artists today that understands the power of atmosphere and exploits it consistently. In his best LPs he brings production and ehymes together to make really cohesive sounding sonicscape/wall of sound type records. There really isnt an analogue in rap to what kind of ambient sounding records he makes. Also he rides beats with an absurd amount of comfort, almost like a young Jay or late Biggie on some RnB shit.

Thats about as easy as I can explain spitta love. Oh well he got 2.5 classics anyway

Esch

Banned
Basically what codhand is saying is that in a hostile takeover of America by neo nazis Eminem would be the Joseph Goebbels of the whole thing nahmean

codhand

we are allowed to say ridiculous shut like calling em fascist.

i really dont think it's ridiculous though, im not interested in responding cause dude is just grasping at straws

awesome you made use of some of the beats siddx, im mixing my austin tx, ep for the next few weeks but i can always put more beats in the folder if yall want

siddx

i really dont think it's ridiculous though, im not interested in responding cause dude is just grasping at straws

awesome you made use of some of the beats siddx, im mixing my austin tx, ep for the next few weeks but i can always put more beats in the folder if yall want

I think because I'm a vulgar, fucked up, sick, ridiculous individual, I just don't take anythibg eminem says remotely seriously.

But anyways yeah any beats you have lying around I am interested I hearing. That goes for gaf in general really. Now that I've broken my writing block my production block has set in and I can't seem to make a beat to save my life.

Esch

Banned
Really I dont see anything fascist about em besides that maybe he represents a spokesperson for the zeitgeist of the poor angry white guy in America. Its not really his fault a lot of his fans are the type of people who say things like 'the blacks dont have it so hard, im on welfare too' and hey they have a point; theyre not doing so well either. This sort of crowdrallying can be dangerous in the way that all nascent tribalism is dangerous, but fascism? That's a stretch armstrong.

Recon

Banned

I am a pretty big Em fan. MMLP2 is poop. Like, I found redeeming things in Recovery and Relapse. I am embarrassed to listen to MMLP2. I will always have SSLP/MMLP/TES though.

Squalor

Really I dont see anything fascist about em besides that maybe he represents a spokesperson for the zeitgeist of the poor angry white guy in America. Its not really his fault a lot of his fans are the type of people who say things like 'the blacks dont have it so hard, im on welfare too' and hey they have a point; theyre not doing so well either. This sort of crowdrallying can be dangerous in the way that all nascent tribalism is dangerous, but fascism? That's a stretch armstrong.
Eminem is a goddamn rapper. He's not a dictator nor is he leading a dictatorial movement.

It makes no sense. People throw around words they don't know how to use.

I don't really know what you're talking about bring race stuff into this, though.

The funny thing about the group of people you're talking about is that the majority of them vote for the rich white guys who keep them marginalized.

effzee

I am a pretty big Em fan. MMLP2 is poop. Like, I found redeeming things in Recovery and Relapse. I am embarrassed to listen to MMLP2. I will always have SSLP/MMLP/TES though.

I haven't listened to the whole thing yet so I can't say if goes to complete shit but the songs like Brainless, Legacy, and Bad Guy alone are better than his strongest efforts on Relapse and Recovery. Less screaming and no accents. Real strong verses in some of the songs too.

To me its already better than Recovery and Relapse from what I have heard. Not better than his first 3 (or 4 if you count Infinite). In the end it will probably average out to the same amount of really good songs, some ok songs, and some truly bad songs.

WTF did I step into just now?

Is this a thing? Eminem fans are white people who claim Blacks don't have it so hard?

I have never heard that one before. Oh well learn something new everyday.

codhand

It makes no sense. People throw around words they don't know how to use.

old, but a relevant expansion on my feelings
http://mynym.blogspot.com/2004/11/eminem-fascist-revisited.html

i have no issues with this thought, i can agree with it.

Squalor

Whoever that was quoted three small parts of Eminem songs completely out of context and "surmised" he might be fascist in a blog post fewer than 500-words long . . .

I don't even.

Seriously. No.

I also don't see any "crowd rallying."

Where are these Eminem crowds "rallying"?

Esch

Banned
I also don't see any "crowd rallying.

It's metaphorical crowdrallying. Like codhand's excerpt intimates, it's kind of a call for the oppressed, angry
white
youth to come together but I don't see why Eminem should get slated for it when say, Wu-Tang do the exact same thing. The only difference is that Eminem is white, and just 'feels' angrier or more hateful.

effzee

It's metaphorical crowdrallying. Like codhand's excerpt intimates, it's kind of a call for the oppressed, angry
white
youth to come together but I don't see why Eminem should get slated for it when say, Wu-Tang do the exact same thing. The only difference is that Eminem is white, and just 'feels' angrier or more hateful.

Isn't that whole song about rallying the youth to VOTE BUSH out of office?

How is it about fascism or white anger? Unless the implication is that only white kids listen to Eminem and thus any angry rallying cry will only appeal to white youth.

Even then the blog post is not only reaching but makes no sense. Its like when people think there are secret hidden messages in rap lyrics where there are none.

codhand

yeah and vote who in? although he doesnt explicitly say, cause that would just be....exactly my point

it's another bad em song either way. point is my use of the word is fine, if dramatic

i get your points too effzee.

effzee

yeah and vote who in? although he doesnt explicitly say, cause that would just be....exactly my point

LMAO cmon now.

Are you implying that on that song in 2004 around the height of the Iraq War mess Eminem is suggesting to vote Bush out and install him as the fascist leader? WTF this has to be a joke going over my head. I don't get it.

Even if he claimed make me king, it would be a figure of speech as in he is the only who makes sense. How many rappers have we heard call themselves the devil, god, king, or a leader? But because Em didn't specify vote in Kerry he is implying something more sinister? That song clearly has a very anti Iraq War and anti Bush lean. How you get the rst out of that I don't know.

Esch

Banned

How is it about fascism or white anger? Unless the implication is that only white kids listen to Eminem and thus any angry rallying cry will only appeal to white youth.
I'm not referring to a single song, only speaking in generalities here.

Eminem's music is all about anger. At his family, at pop culture (irony), at congressmen, at the stolid lives of trailer park living. Easy, I'm not saying Eminem is fascist or racist.

codhand

LMAO cmon now.

Are you implying that on that song in 2004 around the height of the Iraq War mess Eminem is suggesting to vote Bush out and install him as the fascist leader?

that is what he seems to imply yes, probably unwittingly, and definitely irresponsibly, of course there's certainly parallels with other rappers doing similar things. just not as blatant to me

siddx

I think we looking way too deeply into eminem and his lyrics. He found a way to get rich off shock lyrics, which I can't fault him for because I find them amusing myself and enjoy writing those kinds of lyrics as well. Trying to make this a deep discussion about his lyrics seems like absurdity to me.

codhand

I think we looking way too deeply into eminem and his lyrics. He found a way to get rich off shock lyrics, which I can't fault him for because I find them amusing myself and enjoy writing those kinds of lyrics as well. Trying to make this a deep discussion about his lyrics seems like absurdity to me.

yeah very true, but there are definitely those that listen to him without a shred of irony, moreso than other artists,

still working on it... anyone feeling it for the gaf tape?
http://acemixes.com/Beats/DeezNutz2.mp3
is this a newer version, sounds better mixed or something.

effzee

I don't take his lyrics to mean anymore than what they do. Its pretty obvious when he is being over the top with his killer persona, or when he uses certain words to get under the skin of some people, or when he is being serious and personal. Its like when you can play a really violent videogame but you know recognize its just a game.

Its is absurd. To me its reaching at a message he never intended or sent before or after the song being discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom