• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDoe

Banned
Those Nicki Minaj Halloween pics

iSpxXFnwJh21z.gif

Did you see the iphone she took the picture with? It has a cover with her photo on it.

I know this is kinda pretentious but I was seriously disgusted for a moment.

grkazan12

Did you see the iphone she took the picture with? It has a cover with her photo on it.

I know this is kinda pretentious but I was seriously disgusted for a moment.

I was disgusted too by the fact that I wasn't in that picture and probably won't be with her in my life. :(

Kimosabae

Banned
I'm not sure when this started but I have seen it too. I remember for years it was considered a boring generic rappity rap album that nobody gave a fuck about. But like everything the internet gets it hands on, if people once hated it, someone will convince others to like it eventually despite all reason and taste.

I don't think it's a function of it being once hated as much as a function of it being a relatively obscure release even 'till this day, which manages to magnify people's appreciation of it. I always thought it was trash too, but not because it was a "rappity rap" album - whatever that means - it was just devoid of personality. Thank God for Cage.

Recon

Banned
I'm not sure when this started but I have seen it too. I remember for years it was considered a boring generic rappity rap album that nobody gave a fuck about. But like everything the internet gets it hands on, if people once hated it, someone will convince others to like it eventually despite all reason and taste.

It really isnt that good outside of the Infinite track. But I think that may be one of Em's best tracks.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I don't think it's a function of it being once hated as much as a function of it being a relatively obscure release even 'till this day, which manages to magnify people's appreciation of it. I always thought it was trash too, but not because it was a "rappity rap" album - whatever that means - it was just devoid of personality. Thank God for Cage.

I actually feel foolish calling it rappity rap becuae im not a fan of the term myself and to be honest I enjoy the kind of rap that term is meant to demean. That super lyrical myrical spiritual rap stuff that's all about wordplay and lyrics. It gets shitted on in here but I've always had an appreciation for a chino xl type dude who is just trying to rap his ass off. But I've always had room for all types of rap from pop to gangsta to simplistic trap to super lyrical miracle. I enjoyed slaughterhouses last album and I'll enjoy the next probably because the fill that niche well for me.

codhand

blue chips 2
rap album one
ghost at the finish line
my 1st chemistry set
no poison, no paradise

like whoa.

gotta find time for that arcade fyah too

HiResDes

Nacho Picasso's latest is a bit disappointing. The beats don't mesh as well with his style, and his hook game isn't quite on the tier that's I've come to expect. 6/10

Blue Chips 2 is pretty decent. The samples are fun, the punchlines are often funny, but somehow the end result is something a bit boring...His flow is simply too one-dimensional, and I mostly blame the production, when he's forced to rap over wavvy Fraud shit he switches it up well. 6/10

Mac Miller's Quasimoto (Delusional Thomas) is pretty sick, the beats and the flows are great though the pitch gimmick wears it welcome by the end. Very reminiscent of early Eminem in material but with a pace and flow more akin to pre-camp Earl. 8/10

Dopehead's Devils Heaven is pretty much akin to a low-rent version of Side B but expanded. Even though I really didn't feel Side B all too much, the sound benefits from never having a comedown and having a more consistent presentation. He sounds a bit too much like hype Danny though, but they're cousins so it's expected. 7/10

Rilgood's Kingdom is a bit of a surprise. Rilgood doesn't have a flashy flow, but his delivery is fantastic and he definitely has some swag. The subject matter is pretty varied switching from backpack to swag in a flash but the tone is consistently understated. The fact that he isn't rapping super fast actually lets the mostly superb production stand out more. And I can tell that a lot of effort and thought went into this street album, which is a breath of fresh air in the midst of all of the nonchalant nihilism in rap right now. 8/10

Yelawolf & DJ Paul's Black Fall EP - Shit bangs. Sounds almost like a southern rap/black metal mashup. 9/10

...More reviews incoming, if you want something reviewed I probably have it just ask. I'm off today!

Tokubetsu

The surprising thing about the Yelawolf/DJ Paul ep is how much it sounds like some 90s three 6 shit. It's grimey as fuck and has a low quality vibe to it without trying too hard (a lot of raider klan stuff).

Cheddahz

Banned
I ended up buying NBA 2K14 for my computer (it was $15). I know it's the current gen version, but they have added a bunch of new animations that actually affect the game in a way that makes it seem like you're actually in a NBA game

I'm also currently listening to Blue Chips 2 and I'm digging it

HiResDes

...I actually think Danny might have jacked Dopehead's flow. HOLY SHIT

I was so hyped for Nacho too. I though you didn't listen to dopehead, so I'm surprised you rated it. I like how dumb it is.

That was yesterday. When I'm off I wake up I listen to shit that I missed and usually don't stop.

effzee

Really cool interview with Rolling Stone on the making of MMLP2 and just the process of making albums:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-making-of-the-marshall-mathers-lp-2-20131101

Mentions of how Rick Rubin doesn't like to wear shoes and Em understanding the Control verse more than a lot of other rappers did.

You've called Rick "Yoda" – was there still stuff to be learned from him at this point in your career?
[Yoda voice] Learning I did. Um, yeah, I mean the best part about Rick's vibe is he's very Zen-like in the sense of just "Let it happen." The weird thing about it is nine times out 10, we would know instantly if something didn't work and it didn't feel right, you know. He's almost like a coach.

He's very psychological, right?
Yeah the guy's got his shoes off. [Laughs]

Having Kendrick Lamar on your album, did you have any concern that he might go in and try to upstage you?
I completely respect what Kendrick does and the fact that he's in the same camp, that he's on Aftermath, only made sense to me. He came to Detroit, we kicked it for a few minutes, you know, and I felt the vibe of what he's like and everything, and you know, he's a super cool and super humble dude. When we did that record, I think that was actually a week or two before he did the verse to "Control."

Is there advice you would give him at this point?
I don't know if he needs advice. He seems like he's got a really good head on his shoulders, man. He's very smart and you can tell by the way he put his album together for one. He's like a hip-hop head, man, he just loves hip-hop. And obviously the way that he did the "Control" verse, it was almost like if you get mad at him, then you might look foolish. He set it up so that you can't really get mad at a lot of that shit he said because it was what every other MC is already thinking. Or you should be thinking.

siddx

I'll have to check that yela tape. Im one of the few people on here seemingly that still likes the dude. Even if he hasn't put out much I like recently. I listened to that b real/xzibit/other random dude album. Some great tracks but a ton of filler. Also heard that new MIA. Pretty typical album from her. Some fun tracks, some great production, but a lot of filler garbage and embarrassingly bad lyrics. I mostly like the eminem bonus tracks. Groundhog day and evil ways are great. Baby would be good without the shitastic hook.

overcast

...More reviews incoming, if you want something reviewed I probably have it just ask. I'm off today!
What did you think of Shad? Fredo/Kendrick track? Games tape or Yela's. I can only listen to one, got too much music.

Also, off topic but, I need to hear your opinion of the new Arcade Fire. Doesn't feel like a Des album.

cdyhybrid

Nacho Picasso's latest is a bit disappointing. The beats don't mesh as well with his style, and his hook game isn't quite on the tier that's I've come to expect. 6/10

Blue Chips 2 is pretty decent. The samples are fun, the punchlines are often funny, but somehow the end result is something a bit boring...His flow is simply too one-dimensional, and I mostly blame the production, when he's forced to rap over wavvy Fraud shit he switches it up well. 6/10

Mac Miller's Quasimoto (Delusional Thomas) is pretty sick, the beats and the flows are great though the pitch gimmick wears it welcome by the end. Very reminiscent of early Eminem in material but with a pace and flow more akin to pre-camp Earl. 8/10

Dopehead's Devils Heaven is pretty much akin to a low-rent version of Side B but expanded. Even though I really didn't feel Side B all too much, the sound benefits from never having a comedown and having a more consistent presentation. He sounds a bit too much like hype Danny though, but they're cousins so it's expected. 7/10

Rilgood's Kingdom is a bit of a surprise. Rilgood doesn't have a flashy flow, but his delivery is fantastic and he definitely has some swag. The subject matter is pretty varied switching from backpack to swag in a flash but the tone is consistently understated. The fact that he isn't rapping super fast actually lets the mostly superb production stand out more. And I can tell that a lot of effort and thought went into this street album, which is a breath of fresh air in the midst of all of the nonchalant nihilism in rap right now. 8/10

Yelawolf & DJ Paul's Black Fall EP - Shit bangs. Sounds almost like a southern rap/black metal mashup. 9/10

Did you do the Spitta/DZA/Fraud tape?

I thought I was the only one who enjoyed the Yela/DJ Paul EP. I'm back to being a fan after the Trunk Music Returns revisit earlier this year.

As long as he doesn't drop another Radioactive.

siddx

What did you think of Shad? Fredo/Kendrick track? Games tape or Yela's. I can only listen to one, got too much music.

Also, off topic but, I need to hear your opinion of the new Arcade Fire. Doesn't feel like a Des album.

The only band whiter and blander than arcade fire is vampire weekeend. Super esch scust.

siddx

Maybe im totally off on this but I always felt like lyor cohen was a fast talking snake oil salesman who was all talk and no action.

kamspy

Blue Chips 2 is hella fun. Yall are hard to please.

But yo, what app did they record this on? Always been interested in mixing, recording and mastering music on my Galaxy, but never knew which app to get.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I don't come in here much, I just thought I would ask for some recommendations.

I really love Theophilus London's "Big Spender", and am wondering if there are many other artists that have sampled old 40's-50's tracks like that.

Thanks.

Esch

Banned
Blue Chips 2 is hella fun. Yall are hard to please.

But yo, what app did they record this on? Always been interested in mixing, recording and mastering music on my Galaxy, but never knew which app to get.
Everyone is feeling it hard besides Des and Shinobi, but yeah the mastering is shitty for sure.

T Dollarz

Blue Chips 2 is GREAT. Fucking love all the sampling.

Still gonna listen to Nacho, Yela/Paul, Delusional Thomas.

I'm eatin brehs, goddamn. Just bought a new car too that has a legit luxury sound system. It has literally brought new meaning to my music. Just having the subwoofer is so on point. I was listening to Liquid Swords on my way home from work the other night, Shadowboxing came on and I legit shed a thug tear as I sparked the herb. It was a great feeling. Car is just so nice and a huge upgrade for me. Hyundai XG350L, 2002. Working the graveyard shift for a few months to save money was worth it.

But fuck, just found out I'm staying OT today and working like 12 hours. This ain't life.

I'll have to check that yela tape. Im one of the few people on here seemingly that still likes the dude. Even if he hasn't put out much I like recently. I listened to that b real/xzibit/other random dude album. Some great tracks but a ton of filler. Also heard that new MIA. Pretty typical album from her. Some fun tracks, some great production, but a lot of filler garbage and embarrassingly bad lyrics. I mostly like the eminem bonus tracks. Groundhog day and evil ways are great. Baby would be good without the shitastic hook.
I liked Trunk Muzick Returns, about to listen to X-Real AMD friend and I like MIA for the most part, but she's been more miss than hit lately.

kamspy

What are you guys (who are underwhelmed) looking for in an Action release?

Dude rapped over the tequila sample and later said he was sitting in a Porsche and the seats are made of Mastadon. That right there lands it in my top 10 for the year.

Recon

Banned
Action is like Curren$y in that you need to skip a few albums/tapes every now and then. Shit gets sounding the same.

codhand

compared to alchemist all mixing/mastering is shitty

no ones touching him for the foreseable future, producer of the year, i'll just spoil my pick now.

Blue Chips 2 is GREAT. Fucking love all the sampling.

Still gonna listen to Nacho, Yela/Paul, Delusional Thomas.

I'm eatin brehs, goddamn. Just bought a new car too that has a legit luxury sound system. It has literally brought new meaning to my music. Just having the subwoofer is so on point. I was listening to Liquid Swords on my way home from work the other night, Shadowboxing came on and I legit shed a thug tear as I sparked the herb. It was a great feeling. Car is just so nice and a huge upgrade for me. Hyundai XG350L, 2002. Working the graveyard shift for a few months to save money was worth it.

But fuck, just found out I'm staying OT today and working like 12 hours. This ain't life.
I'm working 17 hours today, 61.5 hours for the week

Just ordered them Audio Technicas ATH-M50 while at work. Probably try get a MacBook next week. #EAT

siddx

I'm working 17 hours today, 61.5 hours for the week

Just ordered them Audio Technicas ATH-M50 while at work. Probably try get a MacBook next week. #EAT

I bought those headphones this summer, love em.

I only work about 50 hours a week, get paid about $3000 a month but everything here in Vietnam is so goddamn cheap I feel like I'm balling like a muthafucka. I pay 600 for rent and utilities, about 200 for food a month (order in or go out every night) and everything else is playing around with money. I can pay a hundred bucks to fly to Bangkok for the weekend or drop 25 bucks and drink my ass off at a bar here. I spend money without thinking and still end up with tons of money left over at the end if the month. This is the fucking life man.

Dereck

Looking at what I am listening to or about to listen to according to the last month.

Action Bronson - Blue Chips 2
Mellowhigh - Mellowhigh
Jonwayne - Rap Album One
M.I.A. - Matangi
Pusha T - My Name Is My Name
Robert Glasper Experiment - Black Radio 2
Boldy James - My 1st Chemistry Set
Raider Klan - Tales From the Underground
Quelle Chris - Ghost at the Finish Line
Mac Miller - Delusional Thomas
Armand Hammer - Race Music
Cage - Kill the Architect
Black Milk - No Poison No Paradise
RJD2 - More Is Than Isn't

Please add to this list people.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Action is like Curren$y in that you need to skip a few albums/tapes every now and then. Shit gets sounding the same.
This.

Plus his flow has been straight bad recently. Not off or switching up a lot, just bottom line bad. Seems like that's the biggest complaint for Blue Chips 2, but ima give it a spin anyways because of people praising the production. Though, production never saved Action on Rare Chandeliers.

siddx

Man I used to be the biggest black milk stan. Especially after his work with bishop Lamont. But I find the dude just so boring now. There was maybe three tracks I was feeling off the new album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom