• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

Below the Heavens reminds me of another fallen off rapper. Album is a classic.

What rapper left a legacy without shitting on it in anyway? Without dying.

CRS

Below the Heavens reminds me of another fallen off rapper. Album is a classic.

What rapper left a legacy without shitting on it in anyway? Without dying.
Dude continues to be dope. His live game is nonexistent and he's fallen down a step or two because of the releases in shitty quality but he's been pretty solid. People just don't like how he shifted away from Below the Heavens' sound.

overcast

Dude continues to be dope. His live game is nonexistent and he's fallen down a step or two because of the releases in shitty quality but he's been pretty solid. People just don't like how he shifted away from Below the Heavens' sound.
I mean, I loved Give me my flowers and Her Favorite Colour. Just seems like he doesn't care and it killed how I think of him.

Roots also have a pretty great discography.

Tokubetsu

I have so many Blu files on my harddrive and 85% of it is garbage.
NoYork is garbage
Give Me Flowers is garbage
jesus is garbage
open is garbage

herfavouritecolor and johnson&jonson are the only decent projects Blu has that aren't titled "below the heavens"

Esch

Banned
I have so many Blu files on my harddrive and 85% of it is garbage.
NoYork is garbage
Give Me Flowers is garbage
jesus is garbage
open is garbage

herfavouritecolor and johnson&jonson are the only decent projects Blu has that aren't titled "below the heavens"
Yep. Blu was the chosen one, on some Anakin Skywalker shit. He was supposed to step it up, and be somebody. It was a perfect environment. Dudes like Kanye and Lupe fruitasco were getting put on, with a little marketing he'd have been that dude. Instead he became a lame stoner failure 'experimental' joke. Stuff like GMF/NoYork/Jesus/Open is really just shitty, corny bandcamp material.
his hit to miss ratio when factoring in guest spots is much more favorable, so we skip those tracks out of respect fam
No amount of eschscaling can mitigate the overall lack of direction and zazz Busta's career has. He's pretty much just a guy you hire to make funny noises and say words fast.

Kwixotik

I like Below the Heavens, Give Me My Flowers, and Herfavouritecolour a lot. Haven't really listened to Blu's other stuff. He's still one of my favorite rappers though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wu-Tang members reflect on their 20 Year anniversary.

Mike WiLL Made It ft. Migos & Wiz Khalifa - Whippin A Brick. Off that Been Trill tape. This kinda goes.

Juan Epstein with Steve Lobel.
Artist manager Steve Lobel, who has helped orchestrate the careers of Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Nipsey Hussle and others, sits down with Peter and Ciph for the latest installment of Juan Epstein.

Every time I go back to any of Blu's songs or releases, I realize how damn hard the production carries him. I just don't go back now. Even on Below the Heavens, dude's lyrical ability isn't as impressive when I go back.

IrishNinja

okay fam, so the one thing walmart thing i ordered during the glitch that they let slide was this cheap desktop stereo with cassette & record player, haven't had anything to play those in over a decade now! so yeah, i was thinking it'd be cool to pick up some classic hip hop onna cheap.

i know i asked before, but my man Des pulled an awesome haul a few threads back, can that still be had? does salvation army/goodwill just toss em on their auction site or can you still find good deals for them there? guess im gonna start checking local garage sales too, saw a few last weekend but they were all journey, so i passed.

tryin to make moves to make next year mine, and just be about that CRS life with some good records, kush & headphones onna beanbag or whatever, help me live the dream fam

DominoKid

was Blu a druggie or just a nut in general?

i wasn't a fan of most of his work but he was really onto something w/ Her Favorite Colour.

Recon

Banned
Its odd seeing people lump Give Me Flowers.. with the shit blu releases when I honestly think it is just below Her Favorite Color and Below The Heavens. Very enjoyable album.

damn i listened to that weeknd devil may cry song like 10 times. so beautiful. dat opening choir-like voice.

and now y'all mentioning her favorite colour from blu.

*tears*

Doom is a tool, he's gonna drag that shit out so people have a reason to pay attention to his ass

Seems to be the case. What bigger news than a new madvillaniy album, all while whoever runs his fb pages is endlessly spamming about a "new" show with a "new" set that hes going to do in London.

Unless through some divine will I end up with free tickets, I aint going and It wouldnt surprise me one bit if he is "sick" again.

codhand

Busta pretty much never spits wack verses. His album output is solid, he's had a career since the early 90s, and his live shows are legendary. Only since he got full on swole has he seemed to lack direction, but I guarantee having had his paper dead correct for over a decade doesnt help when making career choices. Side note that song he just released with Qtip is good to great. Also he was in Narc.

IrishNinja

^exactly

Side note that song he just released with Qtip is good to great. Also he was in Narc.

which track we talkin bout again?
always meant to see Narc but Busta was fantastic in The Last Dragon

Vivrant Thing didnt shit on Tribe legacy?

Love Movement wasn't really good either, not quite a full dump, but definitely some legacy doo-doo.

Vivrant thing was a low point, The Renaissance was infinitely better i thought...he's got another one next year too
i still stand that Love Movement wasn't a bad album but i get the big dropoff that it represented. Like it like that, Find a Way, Common Ground, Against the World etc are some classic tribe tracks by me. also, i wish Phife's LP resonated with me like it did Ace.

codhand

i remember the Phife album being surprisingly decent but still not good. Find a Way is a classic track, but so much J dilla filla on that album, and it's only 45 minutes...

IrishNinja

those tribe albums have good beats, and its not like ali, tip and dilla havent produced/been a part of numerous classics outside of that name too tho

also if you gonna copy wiki you could at least look at all the other tracks they were on...cmon cods

JohnDoe

Banned
i remember the Phife album being surprisingly decent but still not good. Find a Way is a classic track, but so much J dilla filla on that album, and it's only 45 minutes...

the best tracks on the last two tribe albums were mostly produced by Dilla. real talk.

codhand

also if you gonna copy wiki you could at least look at all the other tracks they were on...cmon cods

haha, why? i thought i was sparing us the copy / paste of the early-wave, neo-soul and milquetoast Bush Babees tracks,

Ummah production credits read like jayzdoublechinface.jpg

Esch

Banned
I'd be lying if I said that I didn't think Dilla was overrated. He flipped a sample well, but not really in the same league as like Preem, Havoc, RZA, Pete Rock, Kanye, Alc, etc. His drum arrangements aren't really memorable to me either, honestly. His death really bumped him up in the all time great rankings, not to be callous or anything but that's just how i feel, and i think it's reflected in the corny Dilla stanning across the internet. The J Dilla Changed My Life shirts and shit.

codhand

^for real cods when yo grandmomma die i hope the pastor at the funeral has a DILLA CHANGED MY LIFE shirt dun

hahaha geez wth, i never said anything about Jay Dee, you want me to say 'Dilla sucks' or something, which i would never say.

Ummah production as a collective, made nothing worth seeking out. A beat here and there sure.

Also my grandmothers are both long dead thank you, but i'll be sure and put in my Will to have the pastor wear my Donuts tee for my own funeral.

I'd be lying if I said that I didn't think Dilla was overrated. He flipped a sample well, but not really in the same league as like Preem, Havoc, RZA, Pete Rock, Kanye, Alc, etc. His drum arrangements aren't really memorable to me either, honestly. His death really bumped him up in the all time great rankings, not to be callous or anything but that's just how i feel, and i think it's reflected in the corny Dilla stanning across the internet. The J Dilla Changed My Life shirts and shit.

if only every underrated producer were placed on a similar pedastal, we'd all be as self-righteous as irish is being

i actually dont mind the dilla-changed-my-life stuff, but again dying in hip hop makes you an instant legend, i think someone like alchemist is better,
might not be as influential but eh

Jurassic 5 just announced a UK tour, seriously need to convince someone to come with to the Manchester show.
charlie 2na gotta put food on the table!

but for real, my friend just saw them in Austin, I say "them" but it was just two members; so really it was J2, performing as J5..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom