• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
New Gambino video

jcTJwvWUeYRgg_e.jpg

Wow. dude evolved from rapping like Lil Wayne to rapping like Nicki Minaj.

overcast

Lyric video like Katy Perry my dude? C'mon.

Song is okay actually, despite its crazy corniness. That mufasa line is god awful though.

Also, 6 days until NBA Live comes out. You guys know what that means, right? BOUNCE.

I'd be lying if I said that I didn't think Dilla was overrated. He flipped a sample well, but not really in the same league as like Preem, Havoc, RZA, Pete Rock, Kanye, Alc, etc. His drum arrangements aren't really memorable to me either, honestly. His death really bumped him up in the all time great rankings, not to be callous or anything but that's just how i feel, and i think it's reflected in the corny Dilla stanning across the internet. The J Dilla Changed My Life shirts and shit.

I can understand not liking Dilla, but the bolded comment is just insane to me. There's not a single hip hop producer who comes close to Dilla's drums, end of story. Even Pete Rock would tell you that.

Kanye better than Dilla? I gotta head out for fresh air. Hold me, thabiz (pause).

Dereck

SHIT IS CRAZY GOOD, YOU SOFT BRUH
lmao

I like a whole lot of other beat makers more than J Dilla, but what J Dilla has done for other people, and the shit he was doing at the time he was doing it, grants my respect for the guy. Can't deny his impact, I really like some of his stuff though. I feel like if he had more time to make experimental shit it would have been brilliant.

HiResDes

I GOT TOMORROW COMING
I GOT
I GOT
I GOT

Shit sounds like it came from the year 2022. It's like Vapor-Metal. It's music sent from an era where only Silk Roads exist. This is that Deep Webb shit.

lmao

I like a whole lot of other beat makers more than J Dilla, but what J Dilla has done for other people, and the shit he was doing at the time he was doing it, grants my respect for the guy. Can't deny his impact, I really like some of his stuff though. I feel like if he had more time to make experimental shit it would have been brilliant.
When I first heard Donuts I had just got into a bunch of other influential stuff like Entroducing, Mezzanine, My Vinyl Weighs a Ton, The Unseen, etc series I have say Donuts just didn't stand up to any of those albums for me.

With respect to the "Dilla changed my life" people...I know people like that. You won't find too many Pitchfork hipster bandwagon types repping that shit. I know a local producer who literally worships Dilla, listens to his shit daily, is completely obsessed, etc.

Granted I'm in Michigan so it's not that hard to find legit people like that here, or in Cali for that matter.

Shit sounds like it came from the year 2022. It's like Vapor-Metal. It's music sent from an era where only Silk Roads exist. This is that Deep Webb shit.

When I first heard Donuts I had just got into a bunch of other influential stuff like Entroducing, Mezzanine, My Vinyl Weighs a Ton, The Unseen, etc series I have say Donuts just didn't stand up to any of those albums for me.
"To lower your risk or hearing damage, do not listen at high volumes for long periods."
FUCK YOU SAMSUNG

Dereck

To The Unseen and Entroducing? Hell nah

IrishNinja

I'd be lying if I said that I didn't think Dilla was overrated. He flipped a sample well, but not really in the same league as like Preem, Havoc, RZA, Pete Rock, Kanye, Alc, etc. His drum arrangements aren't really memorable to me either, honestly. His death really bumped him up in the all time great rankings, not to be callous or anything but that's just how i feel, and i think it's reflected in the corny Dilla stanning across the internet. The J Dilla Changed My Life shirts and shit.

ehhh i dont think there's only 2-3 points on the scale, not saying he has to be on that tier (though i do personally rank him better than a few of those names), but i get the backlash you're having here, especially since i don't often hear you ranking tribe nearly as high as i/others might.

its kind've a game that's being played though - Dilla was literally unknown for so many years that he got blown up after his death, you feel that's disproportionate but those of us who really liked his stuff back when he was "your favorite producer's favorite producer" bit with nothing else to his name don't mind the recognition. shit was crazy influential, though a lot of that is more evident for me now in jazz-hop/etc

hahaha geez wth, i never said anything about Jay Dee, you want me to say 'Dilla sucks' or something, which i would never say.

Ummah production as a collective, made nothing worth seeking out. A beat here and there sure.

while i actually like some of that neo-soul shit, q-tip alone has some noteworthy production, i just thought you were tossing out too many good producers here for what wiki attributed specifically to the collective...sorry bout your grandmommas tho haha

I can't tell if Irish is being self righteous or not because his english has deteriorated to the point of being only about 40% comprehensible. Dude is on some other shit.

Anyway Prince Paul is still the most underrated producer in hip hop.

i'm on some other other shit but hopefully you'll be on that level one day too esh, i believe you got potential man. also fuckouttahere with Prince Paul, he's amazing but how you figure he's underrated? he shows up on tons of lists i come across

Donuts is treated as his go-to but its not my personal favorite of his stuff either to be honest

IrishNinja

Entroducing was tremendous...i know trip-hop existed before but not to me, that shit is still a top 10 of all time in my mind. i think Shadow's had a big problem living up to its impact, if anything...one of the few albums i feel cant get overstated.

IrishNinja

also did anyone hear whatever foolishness was on breakfast club this morning? shit tripped me out

"what do you think about obamacare?"
"man i like obama but i don't think no one care bout me"

Tokubetsu

Entroducing is one of those albums that dominated my life for a year or more.

Entroducing one of those rare albums man that it never really stops dominating you. I'll go months, year without listening to it and then hear a track from it and It'll just dominate rotation for another few weeks/months again. Like an ex-girlfriend you keep coming back to, she seems to look even better everytime you see her. You miss the way she made you feel, you miss the little hairs on the back of her neck and the way her comforter smelled. You let the memory wash over you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom