• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
if only every underrated producer were placed on a similar pedastal, we'd all be as self-righteous as irish is being

i actually dont mind the dilla-changed-my-life stuff, but again dying in hip hop makes you an instant legend, i think someone like alchemist is better,
might not be as influential but eh
I can't tell if Irish is being self righteous or not because his english has deteriorated to the point of being only about 40% comprehensible. Dude is on some other shit.

Anyway Prince Paul is still the most underrated producer in hip hop.

vgJames

Banned
charlie 2na gotta put food on the table!

but for real, my friend just saw them in Austin, I say "them" but it was just two members; so really it was J2, performing as J5..

They're back as a five for the four shows in the UK luckily.

I couldn't imagine seeing them as just J2... it'd be like Flava Flav touring by himself as Public Enemy.

JohnDoe

Banned
I'd be lying if I said that I didn't think Dilla was overrated. He flipped a sample well, but not really in the same league as like Preem, Havoc, RZA, Pete Rock, Kanye, Alc, etc. His drum arrangements aren't really memorable to me either, honestly. His death really bumped him up in the all time great rankings, not to be callous or anything but that's just how i feel, and i think it's reflected in the corny Dilla stanning across the internet. The J Dilla Changed My Life shirts and shit.

While I agree with you that his fans go too far...
Not saying he is a Dr. Dre or anything because that comparison makes no sense... but the dude had mad skills. He's also one of the main influences behind the Neo Soul movement and he basically birthed Flylo and influenced a lot of other cool electronic musicians like Toro Y Moi.
Dilla's weakpoint is that a lot of times his chord progressions and drum patterns are way too out there for mass appeal. I personally happen to be into accessible and less accessible stuff... but regardless of that Dilla certainly only appeals to a niche.

But as far as flipping samples goes? Dude was on point from a technical standpoint. From a technical standpoint he is better at flipping samples than any producers you listed. I'd even say that as far as sample based hip-hop producers go, nobody could flip a sample better than him.
But on the other hand, flipping a sample hard don't mean it's gonna be a re-memorable song that appeals to a bigger audience.

I mean there is a reason even Dre and Kanye named him as a producer they admired the most. Why would those uber successful hip-hop artists bother saying that about some underground detroit cat who made some of the weirdest beats in hip-hop?

Dilla was the truth. He found gems that people wouldn't even touch. And please, don't talk about drum pattern arrangements when you mentioned Havoc. The man who use the same drum pattern on Hell On Earth through out the whole album. Shit, I think the BPM's were the same as well. Dilla always found that sound that made you go like "Oh shit" He develop his signature sound, Just like Premo using the same James Brown drum pack he ripped many moons ago or Madlib rocking his mono sounding chopped up samples. Not many producers in this day in age have their own signature sound. Arrab is one of the rare ones.

effzee

Budden says new Slaughterhouse album is "much better than that shit we had last time." Also calls it the best music they've ever made. Comes out "whenever Em is done." lol Excited though, considering they all got in the studio together at the same time, I expect something pretty different. Confirmed Bronson as a feature.

Posted? Run The Jewels ft. Big Boi - Banana Clipper video.

That Bronson track isn't confirmed. Says that is the only feature they have recorded so far and that they have 20 + tracks which have to be reduced down to 12 for the album.

Hope it makes the album.

My biggest hope is that all 4 don't rap on every song. Less is more in their case. Sometimes a song can work with just 2 out of the 4. Best example is how on the last album, the song "Goodbye" they all rhyme about some sad time or loss in their lives. And while losing your uncle or granny is sad, only Budden's verse felt really heartfelt to me when he talked about losing twins. Don't even know if he made that shit up but fuck after his verse (which was first) the rest of the song is a letdown.

Just Blaze hopefully does more than just produce the beats and keeps the songs in check

Tried to listen to that death grips post

What the fuck is this shit?

I understand some of y'all enjoying it because you've came from or still listen to metal, but for someone that don't listen to that shit, this shit ultra trash.

overcast

I understand some of y'all enjoying it because you've came from or still listen to metal, but for someone that don't listen to that shit, this shit ultra trash.
I haven't even listened to them much, but I can definitely see the appeal. Shit is abrasive as fuck and completely unexpected/interesting.

JohnDoe

Banned

Money Store had some good shit on it.

But the new mixtape does nothing for me.

Esch

Banned

I like metal and I dont care for them. Shits kinda boring.Some things just shouldnt mix, rap and extreme metal are like that. Completely different musical goals, aesthetics, values. The best you're gonna get there is something like Raider Klan. And even that shit is mostly bad.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just listened to Steve Lobel on Juan Epstein. Really insightful, this dude's resume is stacked. From Pun to Run DMC to Death Row. Some cool things I didn't know:

- Bones are the only group to have been in the studio with Pac, Biggie, Eazy-E and Big Pun
- This guy really sounds like the realest dude ever, like, actually real lol he talks about meeting other white kids in NY who are into hip-hop with mentors like YG
- Talks about being in the studio with Suge and Outlawz bloods threatening him for saying the n-word and then him sonning the dude in response
- Talks saving rappers going to the hood
- Talks working with Run DMC
- Says he's had his goons take pretend blood rapper's rags and threw them in the trash
- Cipha talks Kurupt sending goons to scout out venues before he shows up
- Talks pitching Bieber to A&Rs and them saying "nah," goes on about how Bieber changed after he got the deal
- Says Mally Mall rolling around with Bieber telling him if he keeps acting the way he's acting, he's going to get raped in county jail, damn
- Yelawolf was a contestant on Missy's reality TV show back in the day? Someone needs to find footage of this.
- They talk about how certain jobs in the music industry don't exist anymore: The street team, the A&R, artist development, etc.
- Story about a shelf falling on his head at Kanye's 30th birthday party at an LV store, now his memory isn't that great (recently settled)
- Talks Pun's eating disorder, seeing him eating while getting his hair cut, doesn't believe claims of him abusing his kids and wife
- Talks handcuffing performers, handling people on stage
- "Nipsey doesn't roll with an entourage. But when I need an entourage, it's there."

Randomly on the side, Rosenberg said he was playing Bronson's Practice but when he did it the labels called him and told him to push In The City. I guess that's his single?

Tokubetsu

Idk if you can find footage of it since it was a UPN show but i think there maybe screenshots/pictures. It's on his wiki page.

I mostly lurk here, but I've been listening to the UGK discography during work today, and damn it's so good. Sitting in a sea of cubes, just keeping it trill as fuck.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yup. Then hopefully selling it. If not, back to amazon it goes.
Instead of sending it back, you could always just send it to me breh

I'll even pay shipping!

- - - - -

Really sucks about the hardware issues people are having though. This is why I will never buy any piece of hardware at launch. Don't want to deal with that, or even the possibility.

Dereck

New Gambino video

jcTJwvWUeYRgg_e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom