• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know that. I actually haven't seen him troll Keef. Will watch.

I think Gambino did his thing on Arsenio, still got hopes for his album. Think the tracklist was 18 songs long though. Artists gotta learn to stop making overly lengthy albums.

Man I cannot fucking wait for thanksgiving.

Some of the tracks are apparently tracks that were cut from Camp. That's what I'm hearing because people have heard him perform them at concerts awhile back.

Dereck

Gambino is a mastermind tho
iOHrSsMPqaGKI.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Chamillionaire just gets too comfortable with some certain flows.

Otherwise dude's lyrical talent is consistently underrated IMO. Every time I have bothered to check a track from him he's brought it.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Gambino is a mastermind tho

Its funny I think Gambino would be a much bigger rap act if he had been around to do a "dave chappelle" live performance..... and then maybe did a skit or two as well.

Like that arsenio clip is cool but a show like Dave's would of allowed him to stretch out and show off talent wise.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Its funny I think Gambino would be a much bigger rap act if he had been around to do a "dave chappelle" live performance..... and then maybe did a skit or two as well.

Like that arsenio clip is cool but a show like Dave's would of allowed him to stretch out and show off talent wise.
The only thing I take out of this is Gambino would've been a bigger rap act if he was around in times when weed carriers and style biters were getting signed on a whim to Def Jam and caking regardless.

IrishNinja

I get it. Cant wait till you cop to owning keef albums on vinyl

did you just ken masters me bruh
for real, i don't even know where you're going these days, i feel like you got a set of rules im not aware of...remind me why i cant say i enjoy cham now

codhand

this gif is almost as bad as that one with all three will smith's kids dancing

Endtroducing was made on an MPC 60, how he achieved the long sample times is incredible.

EDIT
i found the Keyboard Magazine article from 1997 where he describes the technical process of creating endtroducing, must read shit brehs.

What was your approach to using the MPC early on?

Originally it was just sort of, "I wanna loop this." And I guess like anybody, I knocked out track after track. But as hip-hop got more…when people like Pete Rock, Large Professor, and Premier started taking sampling to the next level, it wasn’t too long before I thought, "I’d better get my own style here. I’d better change it up." So it then became more about chopping beats, and making samples work for me in a sort of 4-track mentality. I’ve tried to keep that mentality, even to this day. "Influx," my first record for Mo’ Wax was the real test, because on that track I spent all the sample time just on the beat, and then I put it on disk, and bounced, and kept building it up like that. I used, like, 20 disks on the song. In other words, there were more samples for the song than the two banks of 16 pads would hold at one time.

How did you synchronize the separate pad performances?

I got one ADAT machine, and what I would do is pour all 32 pads onto an ADAT stereo pair, and keep building from there. I had it synced with SMPTE. It was really a backward way to go about it, but like anything, I guess I like to learn the hardest way first, because it disciplines you. So when I finally did get an Akai MPC-3000 last year, I took it with a grain of salt. "Yeah, great, I have all this sample time. But now it’s in stereo, so the samples take up twice as much time.

How do you mix?

After it’s all sequenced, I run everything to stereo pairs on the ADAT. Then I take the ADAT tapes to…there’s a guy named the Automator [Dan Nakamura] who produces the Dr. Octagon records. I’ve known him since ’92, and it was fortuitous that we met ‘cause he’s got a really good home studio system. And it’s good because the more records I do, the more equipment he gets, kind of. So he turns everything on, I say, "Okay, thanks," and he goes off and does what he does, and I just sit there in this little room and use the equipment.
http://solesides.com/winblad/shadowkeyboard1097.html

Esch

Banned
did you just ken masters me bruh
for real, i don't even know where you're going these days, i feel like you got a set of rules im not aware of...remind me why i cant say i enjoy cham now
I'm just playing around with you. It is funny that you're saying that you can enjoy him now as opposed to when he was actually relevant.

IrishNinja

well...i mean i was livin in the midwest, so shit was played like booty music out here in the day. i didn't have that adjustment period, and early 2000's i was on that proto-recons "i listen to conscious hip-hop" so you know, it was a bad time all around

you never had some shit that you were so bombed by everywhere around you (radio etc plus its fanbase) that you couldnt enjoy shit at the moment? i think i did this with bone thugs in the day too..tryin to avoid that shit these days, like it's okay to enjoy drake even when he's on 12 easy listening stations and fingerbanging girls in my local hot topic

Esch

Banned
well...i mean i was livin in the midwest, so shit was played like booty music out here in the day. i didn't have that adjustment period, and early 2000's i was on that proto-recons "i listen to conscious hip-hop" so you know, it was a bad time all around

you never had some shit that you were so bombed by everywhere around you (radio etc plus its fanbase) that you couldnt enjoy shit at the moment? i think i did this with bone thugs in the day too..tryin to avoid that shit these days, like it's okay to enjoy drake even when he's on 12 easy listening stations and fingerbanging girls in my local hot topic
I mean, that I didn't end up hating overall? Actually, I can't say that I did. I remember not feeling DMX when I was a kid because I thought he was too angry, but nothing else off the top of my head. I'm never going to turn heel on something I am truly scusted by. If you see me praising Wayne or Gambino in the future you have all rights to mock me fully.

IN other news, celebrate the 10th anniversary of jay's magnum opus :wow: . The Black Album was so fire brehs. It was remixes of many of these songs that helped me get into rap, huge album for me and anyone else that was in school at the time. I remember when that 99 problems and Dirt Off Your Shoulder dropped.
Read the Big Ghost retro/throwback review

the-black-album.jpg

joelseph

well...i mean i was livin in the midwest, so shit was played like booty music out here in the day.

Brenmar for SSENSE - History Of Chicago

"[It] starts in the mid 80s and ends around the mid 2000s, just as footwork was becoming a new sound/thing...." bit.ly/1aka2Rw

Jody "Fingers" Finch - Jack Your Big Booty (BHQ No Acid Vocal)
Frankie Kuckles - Baby Wants To Ride
Mark Imperial - Dissin All Hoes (46th Street Dub)
MD III - The Pressure Cooker (M.D.'s Klub Mixx)
Candy J - Why Are You Wasting My Time (Club Mix)
Mark Imperial - J'adore Danser (Club Mix)
Adonis - No Way Back
Armando - Morse Code
Gant-Man - Juke Dat Girl From Tha Back
Paul Johnson - Construction Work
Jammin Gerald - Pass It To The Homie
Waxmaster - Footwerk 97
Houz Mon - Fear The Worlddd
Eric Martin - If You Ride N My Truck (FTP Up 96 Mix)
DJ Deeon - 3 Fine Hoez
DJ D-Man & Billy Boy - Dooky Boody (D-Man Club Version)
DJ Puff - Bang The Box
Jammin Gerald - Hold Up
Greedy J & Sleepy J - Nation Hoe
DJ Milton - JR Funeral
Dj Puncho - Let me C U Juke
Parris Mitchell - Muthafuckin Dog
Dj Clent - Back Seat Hoe
Green Velvet - Shake & Pop (Gant-Man's Juke Remix)
Traxman - Get Down Lil Mama
Dj Funk - Bounce Dat Ass
RP Boo - Speakers R-4 (Sounds)

IrishNinja

Black Album was the best thing that happened that entire year, and i wanna say the next one too. shit felt like one of those few instant classics for me...justify my thug might be about the only track i tend to skip there.

to this day, i long for the day when i'm covered by the union at work just to show up early, put my feet up at the station and let everyone know

Esch

Banned
this new Three 6 Mafia tape is vintage
iblO57PKfNWwlz.png

wonder what made them get back together. and why isn't juicy j completely involved?

Maybe he thinks he's too good for all them with all the shine he's been getting recently? Is he on the tape? Havent listened yet.

PBY

Banned
OH FUUUUUUGGGG

THAT MAFIA

WHERE DID THAT PRODUCTION COME FROM?

ITS LEVELED UP TRIPLE 6.

DEM BEAT SWITCHES. DEM RAPS. DEM SAMPLES.

CRS

Maybe he thinks he's too good for all them with all the shine he's been getting recently? Is he on the tape? Havent listened yet.

Maybe it's the opposite? The rest of the crew want to make it/get that fame without Juicy J's shine?

Either way, there's some pride getting in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom