• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwixotik

OH FUUUUUUGGGG

THAT MAFIA

WHERE DID THAT PRODUCTION COME FROM?

ITS LEVELED UP TRIPLE 6.

DEM BEAT SWITCHES. DEM RAPS. DEM SAMPLES.

What release are you talking about?

Edit: Also, as much as I hate being the one to point this out, under "Guys named J" they have Violent Jay. But it's actually Violent J and his real name is Joseph. And why isn't Jay Electronica connected to that group?

Also that chart is cool but I don't really get why A$AP gets a category. They're all the same crew so it's really one name.

Esch

Banned
Maybe it's the opposite? The rest of the crew want to make it/get that fame without Juicy J's shine?

Either way, there's some pride getting in the way.

he's on Body Parts. that's it though.

Hmmmmm it could also be that Juice is busy with Stay Trippy shit too. Either way it's a shame they had to tag it "Mafia 6ix".

Anyhoo guys i'm playing The Black Album in full in the plug.dj room tonight. 9PM central

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715607

Tokubetsu

OH FUUUUUUGGGG

THAT MAFIA

WHERE DID THAT PRODUCTION COME FROM?

ITS LEVELED UP TRIPLE 6.

DEM BEAT SWITCHES. DEM RAPS. DEM SAMPLES.

The DJ Paul x Drumma Boy also has some bangers on it. Think Tguy and I are the only ones who've listened to it lol:
http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/24503/dj-paul-drumma-boy-clash-of-the-titans.html
QUpyl1E.jpg

The 6ix tape is also on itunes dj less and with two bonus tracks.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
He looks like he hangs out at Cuban night clubs and the Buena Vista Social Club cd is stuck in his car stereo.

I'm seeing Ferg in SF tonight actually. From videos I've seen of him live I'm not expecting an amazing performance or anything (that fall recovery aside) but it should be a good time.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just Blaze talks making the Interlude on The Black Album.

Juan Epstein with Sean Paul. I don't know why this is so damn funny. Everything from Sean Paul having a vehement hatred of Dominos to him drinking weed.

Juan Epstein with Bun B. I didn't know Ready To Die was bootlegged 8 months before it came out. Also talks Pimp C hating on Big Pimpin and him having to force him to do it. Full interview here. Atlanta isn't the South because it's on EST... dafuq

Young Dro ft. 2 Chainz - Strong (Remix).

Jeezy ft. Rocko & 2 Chainz - Benihana. Jeezy's verse is just atrocious. This entire song is kinda ehh.

Kanye and Jay making Lucifer

0:37-41 is the perfect "this song is amazing" gif.

You know what you have to do, Codhand.
You have no idea how long I've been looking for a GIF of this. I've tried so many different keyword combinations in google, and nothing. I could've swore it exists though.

This is dope, I didn't know they were making prints of this.

Detox

Speaking of Jeezy, his last album on Def Jam is being held up just like Aftermath is playing 50. Doesn't bode well for Nas.

effzee

Speaking of Jeezy, his last album on Def Jam is being held up just like Aftermath is playing 50. Doesn't bode well for Nas.

How well did his last one sell? If its a similar situation to 50 it could be simply that the record company doesn't really care to put the money into the project only to have it completely flop.

50 would have to drop an In Da Club level song to regain any relevancy.

Detox

Went Gold and I don't think it's sales that are the issue. Jeezy got hits, he even mentioned a song he convinced Jay to give him during the MCHG sessions. They're probably bitter he showed his intention to join Atlantic too early by becoming their VP of A&R.

Personally I don't think it's sales that are holding 50 up either. They can't expect him to put those numbers up again. When it comes to hip hop in the mainstream across the world 50 is still a bigger name than most rappers and Aftermath doesn't want to lose him from the roster.

Nas better have a good route to escape. Once he is free hopefully he follows through on the plans to do the album with Premier.

How well did his last one sell? If its a similar situation to 50 it could be simply that the record company doesn't really care to put the money into the project only to have it completely flop.

50 would have to drop an In Da Club level song to regain any relevancy.

Jeezy's last album nearly sold 700,000 and had one top 40 hit iirc. It was a trademark Def Jam/modern hip hop album: bloated guest list, expensive videos. I can understand why Def Jam isn't going to open the check book for another, especially given the diminishing returns effect that dominates hip hop. IE a rapper almost never comes close to out-doing his biggest recent record anymore, unless he's Jay-Z or Eminem. Even Drake looks like he won't outdo Thank Me Later. Most recently we saw this with 2 Chainz bombing, and next year we'll see it when Kendrick struggles to go gold.

The most interesting thing about this is that Jeezy got his last album release date around the time Ross was getting his project (GFID) pushed back due to multiple singles bombing. At the time I remember people here and on SOHH/The Coli/Twitter/etc saying Jeezy won. Now the tables are reversed: Ross is popping due to guest verse shine, Jeezy is nowhere to be seen.

Esch

Banned
Once he is free hopefully he follows through on the plans to do the album with Premier.

Ew.... Dude does not need to be anywhere near preem in 2013. Preem is terrible now. The last good beat he made was in 2011. Beyond flabby and sick.

Alchemist, Justice League, No ID, maybe Kanye. That's about it.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
You have no idea how long I've been looking for a GIF of this. I've tried so many different keyword combinations in google, and nothing. I could've swore it exists though.

I used to have that gif too, which is why I was hoping one of gafhops wizards would make it again.

forgot to post it. last night was a long ass nite and i ended up gettin' high and stayin' in bed watching Liquid Television bootlegs.

jaykan0173dvq.gif

jayvinegarstrokes0iiq2.gif

Mafia 6ix is dope, Yela was dope, his last two features I remember hearing have moved his "shit-o-meter" back to the positive side for me.

effzee

Jeezy's last album nearly sold 700,000 and had one top 40 hit iirc. It was a trademark Def Jam/modern hip hop album: bloated guest list, expensive videos. I can understand why Def Jam isn't going to open the check book for another, especially given the diminishing returns effect that dominates hip hop. IE a rapper almost never comes close to out-doing his biggest recent record anymore, unless he's Jay-Z or Eminem. Even Drake looks like he won't outdo Thank Me Later. Most recently we saw this with 2 Chainz bombing, and next year we'll see it when Kendrick struggles to go gold.

The most interesting thing about this is that Jeezy got his last album release date around the time Ross was getting his project (GFID) pushed back due to multiple singles bombing. At the time I remember people here and on SOHH/The Coli/Twitter/etc saying Jeezy won. Now the tables are reversed: Ross is popping due to guest verse shine, Jeezy is nowhere to be seen.

But do you think the record labels are asking Jeezy and or 50 to outdo their best sales #s? Or are they asking them to do respectable #s for the budget they now demand? I see that as more of a problem. 50 cent probably thinks he deserves the budget a Jay Z or Em album gets, but he can't back it up anymore. The promotion and marketing behind such big projects has to be paid for.

With the exception of a few miscues here and there, record labels have access to all sorts of sales predictions, algorithms, and data and the only business they are in is to make more money. Why would they deny themselves even a small profit if it meant getting a contract off their books?

Went Gold and I don't think it's sales that are the issue. Jeezy got hits, he even mentioned a song he convinced Jay to give him during the MCHG sessions. They're probably bitter he showed his intention to join Atlantic too early by becoming their VP of A&R.

Personally I don't think it's sales that are holding 50 up either. They can't expect him to put those numbers up again. When it comes to hip hop in the mainstream across the world 50 is still a bigger name than most rappers and Aftermath doesn't want to lose him from the roster.

Nas better have a good route to escape. Once he is free hopefully he follows through on the plans to do the album with Premier.

I think at the end of the day the record labels only care about making money. If releasing a Jeezy or 50 Cent project guaranteed the money it once used to or even to make a sizable profit there would be no issue. And I guess I worded it wrong. Should have said profit, not necessarily sales.

I mean holding a guy hostage to his contract only to not let him go makes no sense because either way you aren't making money. The smart move would be to release the project, hope for a profit, and let the artist walk and bet on diminishing returns.

50 might be a bigger name than most rappers but I think his last 2 albums have been financial flops.

Detox

Ew.... Dude does not need to be anywhere near preem in 2013. Preem is terrible now. The last good beat he made was in 2011. Beyond flabby and sick.

Alchemist, Justice League, No ID, maybe Kanye. That's about it.
Premier has been saving special beats for Nas since 2001, you gotta believe.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
While I liked the album, Before I Self Destruct was the start of 50's decline, not just artistically but from a popularity standpoint. His shit just doesn't stink anymore. The mishap with New Day pretty much screwed his album release scheduling up. Then we heard Major Distribution, which had completely forgettable verses and lacked that X-factor and punch, on top of the struggle Brazzers-sponsored video. Then that Kidd Kidd/Kendrick song which was released in like 3 different permutations and nobody could even figure out wtf was going on with the song, aside from it being meh.

I think he needs to hit the drawing board. His new stuff just doesn't feel special or like it has substance behind it.

overcast

How many of you grabbing a PS4 tonight/tomorrow? I'm content with my 360, PS3, and 3DS for another year. Though the allure is there.

But do you think the record labels are asking Jeezy and or 50 to outdo their best sales #s? Or are they asking them to do respectable #s for the budget they now demand? I see that as more of a problem. 50 cent probably thinks he deserves the budget a Jay Z or Em album gets, but he can't back it up anymore. The promotion and marketing behind such big projects has to be paid for.

With the exception of a few miscues here and there, record labels have access to all sorts of sales predictions, algorithms, and data and the only business they are in is to make more money. Why would they deny themselves even a small profit if it meant getting a contract off their books?

Not their best sales, but their last big album's sales. In Jeezy's case that would be his last album, and I can understand why Def Jam doesn't believe he'll sell 700k again. TBH I don't think he'd go gold, and if he did it would take too long to matter.

Is Jeezy going to be fine with an average budget? I doubt it. He's going to want Mike Will, Wayne, some crossover pop rap duet, etc. TI's label gave him a crazy budget and he went gold..but overall the performance wasn't what they wanted IMO. TI actually had hype due to it essentially being his real comeback album, whereas...does anyone care about Jeezy right now?

How many of you grabbing a PS4 tonight/tomorrow? I'm content with my 360, PS3, and 3DS for another year. Though the allure is there.
The launch title games for the ps4 look pretty mediocre tbh.

I only play Street fighter on my xbox so until they announce USF4 for the PS4 (which could happen soon) then I'll get a PS4

Also fuck jay z

Esch

Banned
They mention it like every other Juan Epstein, I think Preemo even talked about how it ain't no thang on in an interview with Rosenberg.

I remember artists corroborating without saying it outright.
I always find it hard to believe because he's such a BIG guy. What the hell kind of crackhead is that size and build. Maybe that's what a crackhead looks like when they can actually afford to eat.

Esch

Banned
Just because someone does crack doesn't make them a crackhead.

Crack is pretty much the least casual drug you can do, more or less. If you do enough crack to ostensibly end your career (oft cited as the reason for the Gang Starr split) and pushes you to steal money, you're a crackhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom