• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldvein

Banned
Still the best live band I've ever seen by a country mile.

really. i could maybe say the same, saw em several times back in the days, but i think the distance in time has made those shows seem somehow less significant. but that aint right. they were important, when i think about it.

also, mr. slug brought POS out to the world, and then doomtree existed. praise jesus.

http://youtu.be/LYfGx1b58Qo

grkazan12

If anyone was looking for it I found the beat that Kanye was playing in the beginning of the Black Album clip. Apparently it was the original or remix? version of Dope Man that appeared on the Menace 2 Society soundtrack.

Dr.Dre tha God. It's soooo goooood.

Dope Man by N.W.A.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
really. i could maybe say the same, saw em several times back in the days, but i think the distance in time has made those shows seem somehow less significant. but that aint right. they were important, when i think about it.

also, mr. slug brought POS out to the world, and then doomtree existed. praise jesus.

http://youtu.be/LYfGx1b58Qo

Once atmosphere started using mote live instruments shit went to a different level. My favorite thing is how they will remix older tracks to make them sound better live. Some newer tracks too actually. Shoulda known live is incredible, I would kill for a life album.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
You have no idea how long I've been looking for a GIF of this. I've tried so many different keyword combinations in google, and nothing. I could've swore it exists though.

I used to have that gif too, which is why I was hoping one of gafhops wizards would make it again.

Jay-Z-woah.gif~original

siddx

Get sadder and madder

Haha pretty much. Atmosphere gets type cast on that for the girls emo shit but they have just as much cocky fuck all yall angry shit too. When slug is on his arrogant shit he can drop some hilariously mean shit. Whose the first to catch this ejaculation all across the front of your pretty little apron?

Esch

Banned
I really used to dig Atmosphere in high school. I still think their instrumentation is pretty cool, but I find them super heavy handed on the rap side of things.

I really used to dig Atmosphere in high school. I still think their instrumentation is pretty cool, but I find them super heavy handed on the rap side of things.

where else can you find tales of strippers trying to pay for their brother's cytric fibrosis care, and allow him to go to college and become an astronaut.

coldvein

Banned
i dont think there's anything wrong with being on some "girls" shit, even if thats all he had going (which wasnt the case, obviously).

in my personal rap listening history, slug was kind of the vanguard of all of the quote "indie" unquote rap shit. i dont know if thats how it actually how it happened or thats just how it was for me. but i think that was a really important thing. 98% of gafhop regs will probably disagree.

edit after reading PPs post:

whoever made that rhyme of parking lot and astronaut clowning on atmosphere was funny as fuck
most memorable gafhop post ever imo

Esch

Banned
where else can you find tales of strippers trying to pay for their brother's cytric fibrosis care, and allow him to go to college and become an astronaut.
That said ill still take them over aesop rock rapping as fast as he can with a mouth full of hot dogs.

Recon

Banned
That said ill still take them over aesop rock rapping as fast as he can with a mouth full of hot dogs.

Its funny, that could be directed towards RA the Rugged Man too, without changing a word. I really dont vibe with that style of rap.

siddx

I want to like Riff Raff. I have room in my taste for a gimmick rapper with more personality than skill considering I can't stand even 2 seconds of lil b (I think lil b comes across as an awesome dude outside of rap, he just has no fucking musical talent at all) so that position is currently empty. But there is something about him that really annoys the shit out of me. Even though I know his image is largely just a joke, he reminds me far too much of every suburban white kid dipshit with delusions of thugdom from listening to too much 2pac and eminem. Cross that with a bit of a hipster vibe and I just can't stand him for the most part. I can think of maybe three occasions where I was amused or entertained by riff raff. But considering his output, thats a pretty shitty ratio. Plus knowing he tries to get laid by lying around jerking himself off in front of girls is pretty fucking lame.

effzee

I want to like Riff Raff. I have room in my taste for a gimmick rapper with more personality than skill considering I can't stand even 2 seconds of lil b (I think lil b comes across as an awesome dude outside of rap, he just has no fucking musical talent at all) so that position is currently empty. But there is something about him that really annoys the shit out of me. Even though I know his image is largely just a joke, he reminds me far too much of every suburban white kid dipshit with delusions of thugdom from listening to too much 2pac and eminem. Cross that with a bit of a hipster vibe and I just can't stand him for the most part. I can think of maybe three occasions where I was amused or entertained by riff raff. But considering his output, thats a pretty shitty ratio. Plus knowing he tries to get laid by lying around jerking himself off in front of girls is pretty fucking lame.

Sums up really well why I can't stand him.

I try hard not to let an artist's personality ruin the music, but when that personality is part of the music and its just shitty I can't even get past the first few listens.

Anyway Timbaland dropped his new single. Featuring Jay Z and Drake. At least I think its new:

http://fashionably-early.com/2013/11/15/timbaland-know-ft-jay-z-drake/

overcast

Pretty much this. I still have respect for them though. I just can't listen to them as much anymore.

DominoKid

riff raff joint is a banger and he has good taste in fried chicken.

drake got off on that timbo track too. i guess hov wrote timbo's verse.

Punch (TDE President) pulled Kendrick from the GQ Men of the Year performance he was supposed to have on the 12th.

I would post the whole story as to why, but I still don't have a computer so here's the link: http://m.xxlmag.com/entry/view/id/76784

Long story short: Punch feels the story they put up was disrespectful and had some lowkey racism as to them being so calm and disciplined.

kodecraft

Sums up really well why I can't stand him.

I try hard not to let an artist's personality ruin the music, but when that personality is part of the music and its just shitty I can't even get past the first few listens.

Anyway Timbaland dropped his new single. Featuring Jay Z and Drake. At least I think its new:

http://fashionably-early.com/2013/11/15/timbaland-know-ft-jay-z-drake/

Drake killed his verse, the way he ripped had me wishing J. Cole was on the track.

effzee

Drake killed his verse, the way he ripped had me wishing J. Cole was on the track.

Yeah that Jay Z intro makes no sense. Almost tacked on as if to say "oh look I got Jay on a feature".

On another note I didn't know Timbaland had a new project coming out. Dude can't write but he is a level 2 Dre for me so his album is always a guaranteed 10 track banger. Better get Nelly Furtado and JT on a bunch of collabos. Shakira too.

JohnDoe

Banned
Punch (TDE President) pulled Kendrick from the GQ Men of the Year performance he was supposed to have on the 12th.

I would post the whole story as to why, but I still don't have a computer so here's the link: http://m.xxlmag.com/entry/view/id/76784

Long story short: Punch feels the story they put up was disrespectful and had some lowkey racism as to them being so calm and disciplined.

"[Tiffith] asked if I had had a fun day. I said that I had and that I was surprised by their discipline. 'You guys seem so calm,' I said."
lol... c'mon son. I haven't read the article but that's not a good start.

I wonder how GQ will respond...

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
lol... c'mon son. I haven't read the article but that's not a good start.

I wonder how GQ will respond...

a print publication losing the biggest rapper of the year (performing with their logo everywhere) to claims of insensitivity. They're gunna buckle harder than the Titanics hull against the ice berg.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Saying people are calm and disciplined is lowkey racism now? Especially in the case of a superstar and relatively young label that has gone from the underground to top of the world in a manner of months?

Get the fuck outta here.

TDE wasn't ready for the spotlight, end of story. They'll be done in a couple years at this rate. Wasting opportunities, now pulling a huge story because...why? It seemed obviously GQ was comparing him to most rappers, and it's true: TDE is a lot more tame than Young Money, MMG, etc.

wenis

it is true, they just are. dude needs to cool his jets and count his stacks while he's making them.

TDE wasn't ready for the spotlight, end of story. They'll be done in a couple years at this rate. Wasting opportunities, now pulling a huge story because...why? It seemed obviously GQ was comparing him to most rappers, and it's true: TDE is a lot more tame than Young Money, MMG, etc.
I don't think it's the magazine that's getting pulled. Just the performance that was supposed to go with it. But yea I definitely understand what you mean by they weren't ready for the spotlight. Sometimes you gotta chill and just let the shit happen. Don't risk your artists shine over something little like that.
Whatever though. The music will speak for itself. If they can keep up with the grade A music (and get their albums out) then they should be able to stay at the top.

I don't think it's the magazine that's getting pulled. Just the performance that was supposed to go with it. But yea I definitely understand what you mean by they weren't ready for the spotlight. Sometimes you gotta chill and just let the shit happen. Don't risk your artists shine over something little like that.
Whatever though. The music will speak for itself. If they can keep up with the grade A music (and get their albums out) then they should be able to stay at the top.

But only one person is putting out grade A "popular" music; YM has Nicki, Drake, and Wayne plus Tyga getting some play. TDE is not sustainable IMO. And also, I think Kendrick is going to see a drop in popularity with his second album regardless of how good it is, simply because he's not really a "hit maker."

Obviously TDE has Jimmy Iovine in their corner which goes a long way, but they need to capitalize on their position. They wasted 2013 doing nothing. In fact if it wasn't for Kendrick's Control verse, no one would be talking about them this year.

wenis

I'm just gunna pop in here and endorse Stella Artoise Cidre. This is a tasty as fuck brew that if yo can find it, you should buy it and consume it.

But only one person is putting out grade A "popular" music; YM has Nicki, Drake, and Wayne plus Tyga getting some play. TDE is not sustainable IMO. And also, I think Kendrick is going to see a drop in popularity with his second album regardless of how good it is, simply because he's not really a "hit maker."

Obviously TDE has Jimmy Iovine in their corner which goes a long way, but they need to capitalize on their position. They wasted 2013 doing nothing. In fact if it wasn't for Kendrick's Control verse, no one would be talking about them this year.
Yea 2013 wasn't their biggest year, but it does setup a great 2014.

Oxymoron Q1.
Ab-Soul's project is pretty much done so that could come whenever they think it's right to drop it.
Isaiah Rashad's project Cilvia (debut mixtape lol) is supposed to drop too. Shot you Down and Ronnie Drake are two tracks from the tape, and I think they're both dope.
Jay Rock gotta do something instead of scratchin his ass.
SZA will probably have a project too. Her TDE debut song Teen Spirit was dope.

As for Kendrick, I don't know how he'll try to top GKMC. I know he mentioned wanting to make a short film out of the Album using the album as a soundtrack for the film. All I'm seeing is maybe a single then the album coming Q4 or 2015.

Should throw in that as far as Ciders go its supposed to be pretty good, I just cant drink cider. Shit destroys my stomach.

People are bugging if they think Ab soul and Q have any prospects. Albums will be trash and the only time people will mention them is pity features on K. Dots next CD

Esch

Banned
That's kind of lame to pull out of a performance for perceiving a slight where there wasn't one.

Plus, it's the entertainment industry breh. It sounds bad to say this, but part of living in america as a colored person is having to suck up and take some :mjpls: paternalistic shots once in a while. It's like 500000x times the case for entertainers. Unless you're really trying to get blackballed out here.... You gotta have a little more bread and respect before you start pulling some corny azealia banks shit like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom