• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detox

I don't even think GZA is trying to educate, I think he is trying to show he is on some higher level compared to 'simple' raps. Except the size of an atom and the periodic table aren't exactly enlightening. I also feel like it lacks emotion and GZA himself comes across jaded and robotic.

Esch

Banned
I don't even think GZA is trying to educate, I think he is trying to show he is on some higher level compared to 'simple' raps. Except the size of an atom and the periodic table aren't exactly enlightening. I also feel like it lacks emotion and GZA himself comes across jaded and robotic.
Thats how I felt about it as well. It just feels a little forced. Now, I think it would be better if he just included some more bits and pieces about it in his lyrics and metaphors that'd be fine... but a whole album themed around this shit? Nah.

Kimosabae

Banned
Yeah. I never found it to work well for myself or most kids because I dont believe that its the right attitude; you can't coat the bitter medicine and hard work of learning in sugar. As a kid I had tons of edutainment software etc. It was very rarely fun or good at actually conveying the material. I feel that this is doubly so for rap; because it lacks even the visual advantages those programs had. Here's what I believe in; small class sizes, no rankings or standardized tests; basically the Finnish system.

Rap is not going to make kids pick up books man.
The knowledge shit was tried before and it failed. At the most, ypu might get someone to google search some physics concepts or something. Song just isnt that powerful of an educational tool. Its great for a quick mnemonic hack but thats it.

Yeah, this is demonstrably false. Myself, GZA himself, and many others are a testament against that. I'm passionate about the sciences and education in large part because of artists that presented the associated values to me through hip hop. Everything I learn, I make an association to that culture, in hopes that one day, I can give back, and add even a little bit to what I've gotten from it.

It's not even "Edutainment" that GZA or "conscious rap" presents. It's "tangential learning". They're not the same. One is conscious pedagogy and the other is art/culture. The GZA piece is merely poetry regarding the qualitative aspects of the sciences of motion and the personal meaning he's attributed to them. The hopeful aspect of what he's produced is that it will inspire someone in tune with the culture to hit up a Google search - at the very least - to better understand why he finds the material inspiring. Even if that is the least a listener does - their experience in life has been objectively enriched by the product. Even if by a tiny bit.

This notion that rappers rapping about things important to them, that have rigorous associations to them, originating outside hip hop culture, are merely trying to "educate" you: is horrifyingly cynical and limiting to me. Poetry is about creating and providing an enriching experience and rap is a form of poetry. That's the difference between disposable and non-disposable art. It's not "commercial vs. underground" or "conscious vs. unconscious". What gives art staying power is how enriching it is to the consumer.

You might not personally look for enrichment in hip hop music - but I have to imagine that you look for it somewhere. You seem like a reasonably intelligent guy. I just can't help but think there's an egocentric defense mechanism involved that's just purely reactionary, here.

The first criticism comes across as a symptom of the competitive nature of the culture. No way GZA could be rapping about this stuff merely to provide a comprehensive visualization of something he finds inspiring: he's clearly just trying to impress you.

Second criticism I don't necessarily disagree with, but it seems to lack context. GZA's a musician, not a slam poet, and this doesn't seem to be his element, exactly. GZA comes across drily even in his music.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
236916e855e911e3a778129d8c452bbe_7.jpg

@cthagod
SMH. What's my name? RT @xMinaj_iadore: @cthagod I doubt u called him kanye kardashian to his face.

kttcoliwhew

It's happening. This interview will be a fucking bloodbath. I would've thought Kanye would never do this, but I guess dude['s ego] really is in a better place.

James Franco ft. Seth Rogen - Bound 3.

EDIT: A lot of other interesting nuggets in that Kanye interview posted above.

- Pusha's label shipped 1/3 of the numbers he did
- Ye linked up with 2 Chainz after hearing Codeine Cowboy
- Cruel Winter is an ongoing thing, "but we keep missing the Winter"
- Either next solo or Cruel Winter out before next summer
- Confirms Miley Remix
- WTT2 might happen, not focus ATM because Kanye's focus is the cheap clothing product line
- Kanye says Kendrick freestyles his raps, compares his process to Jay and 3000
- Kanye is executively producing the Charlie Wilson album
- Doesn't care about the Control verse, doesn't understand the emotional reactions to the verse
- Calls Kendrick a creative and visionary
- Hints at something changing when it comes to the Yeezys, seems like he's hinting at the Adidas deal
- Calls out Obama for supporting him when he spoke out on Katrina but then changing the relationship when he ran for office

effzee

- Calls out Obama for supporting him when he spoke out on Katrina but then changing the relationship when he ran for office

I haven't heard the interview yet so maybe it will sound better in context but why can't Obama do both?

Why can't he support you when you know do something good and speak out about Katrina but then call you a jackass for acting like a jackass?

Esch

Banned
Yeah, this is demonstrably false. Myself, GZA himself, and many others are a testament against that. I'm passionate about the sciences and education in large part because of artists that presented the associated values to me through hip hop. Everything I learn, I make an association to that culture, in hopes that one day, I can give back, and add even a little bit to what I've gotten from it.
Fair enough...but you asked about how I responded to this sort of thing. As a gainfully employed scientist and researcher myself I can't say that media or art has had a large effect on my decision to pursue the field. I would attribute my interest to mentors and teachers instead.

It's not even "Edutainment" that GZA or "conscious rap" presents. It's "tangential learning". They're not the same. One is conscious pedagogy and the other is art/culture.
I was under the impression that the aim of 'Dark Matter' was pedagogical. If not, fair enough.

This notion that rappers rapping about things important to them, that have rigorous associations to them, originating outside hip hop culture, are merely trying to "educate" you: is horrifyingly cynical and limiting to me. Poetry is about creating and providing an enriching experience and rap is a form of poetry. That's the difference between disposable and non-disposable art. It's not "commercial vs. underground" or "conscious vs. unconscious". What gives art staying power is how enriching it is to the consumer.
GZA can rap about whatever he feels like, thats up to him. If you're talking about staying power, what matters there is not 'enrichment', which is wholly subjective. Whether something endures is up to the continued acclaim of the intelligentsia and historians that support and document an art form, and the assent of the consumers and public that digest the opinions of said intelligentsia.

You might not personally look for enrichment in hip hop music - but I have to imagine that you look for it somewhere. You seem like a reasonably intelligent guy. I just can't help but think there's an egocentric defense mechanism involved that's just purely reactionary, here.
Fair enough, whats you is you and whats me is me. I much prefer to keep work and fun distinctly separated though.Next time ill have the argument without the two bit psychoanalyses and condescension, thanks.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
yo did y'all see when Busta grabbed the screen and balled it up?

this is some next level shit right hurr

EDIT: Has there been a bigger waste of a beat ever in the history of hip-hop than this Future joint?

I haven't heard the interview yet so maybe it will sound better in context but why can't Obama do both?

Why can't he support you when you know do something good and speak out about Katrina but then call you a jackass for acting like a jackass?
Well he sorta was talking about it at the relationship level rather than the just incident level, even though what you say is legitimate for incidences.

Esch

Banned
Lol @ Killa Sin getting booked for attempted murder. So much for that new Killarmy. Bust your guns when you're middle aged, brehs.

overcast

Who's hater of the year 2013? It's gotta be between Esch and Toku. Esch doesn't like Q or Outkast. That's 2 huge no-no's. But he hosts plug sessions often.

Toku doesn't like the king.

Dereck

This is war, gentleman
My flow is filled with more venom
Than George Zimmerman in his car chillin'
With a loaded 44 tucked into his drawers
Fitchiting, Itching to find a brand new casket to store n***** in

OOOOO, GET EM HOP, LEHGO

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Who's hater of the year 2013? It's gotta be between Esch and Toku. Esch doesn't like Q or Outkast. That's 2 huge no-no's. But he hosts plug sessions often.

Toku doesn't like the king.
It's definitely Esch. Esch hates just to cause commotion and/or uses that as an easy out when the hate is that strong.

Toku isn't really a hater, he's just misguided. It's like trying to explain to your son why he shouldn't put his finger in the electrical socket, but he never listens and keeps doing it anyways. It might not be the electrical socket that gets him, but we know the path he's going down isn't the right one.

Esch

Banned
Excuse me, I dont hate on outkast. I may not care for them, but thats not hate.. Q maybe, and definitely Kanye and Childish..Anyway any Q 'hate' I dish out is justified by yalls unrelenting jizz gargling of the guy.

Edit: Toku is a hater. I know my own kind when I see them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Excuse me, I dont hate on outkast. I may not care for them, but thats not hate.. Q maybe, and definitely Kanye and Childish..Anyway any Q 'hate' I dish out is justified by yalls unrelenting jizz gargling of the guy.
If that's jizz gargling, are you doing the spitta slurping marathon or something?

Spitta probably has the largest stannery:critique ratio in GAF-Hop. Kanye probably gets 5x the critique from stans than Spitta.

cdyhybrid

If that's jizz gargling, are you doing the spitta slurping marathon or something?

Spitta probably has the largest stannery:critique ratio in GAF-Hop. Kanye probably gets 5x the critique from stans than Spitta.

A guy who knows his strengths and stays in his lane doesn't get a ton of haters? You don't say.

Esch

Banned

Who's hating now? I feel like emperor palpatine converting yall to the dark side.

Anyway the nice thing about being a spitta stan is you can just be like meh whatever this project sucks and KIM. Stanning Spitta is like being a baseball fan. Really boring 70% of the time and dope as fuck 30% of the time. Except baseball sucks.

Edit: and no. Kanye stans are the biggest dick suckers in hip hop history.

effzee

Well he sorta was talking about it at the relationship level rather than the just incident level, even though what you say is legitimate for incidences.

Well then. I never knew he had any relation with Obama other than being the dude who hops along whenever Jay Z met Obama.

But you talking about a dude who drone attacks a region on the daily. You think he gives a fuck about sensitive ass Kanye?

DJ Green Lantern - Bhangra Bounce. Brown-GAF-Hop I see you.

i8iGTJj83LeQB.gif

Also one that doesn't know his weaknesses and takes sticking to his lane to monotony.

For the life of me I don't understand why more producers don't mine through Indian movie in general. Maybe cause I am brown and my ears love the shit, but I just think it can translate really well to rap music.

Like a tabla beat instead of 808s. Fuck someone pass this idea along to Kanye. He can do it justice. Timbaland set the possibility back a decade + with this atrocity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUL7OsH7v5s

overcast

EDIT: A lot of other interesting nuggets in that Kanye interview posted above.

- Cruel Winter is an ongoing thing, "but we keep missing the Winter"
- Either next solo or Cruel Winter out before next summer
- WTT2 might happen, not focus ATM because Kanye's focus is the cheap clothing product line
This is all great news. Honestly, I don't need WTT2. He should give it until 2015 for the solo, maybe drop Cruel Winter at some point in 2014. That before summer date sounds perfect.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ashamed to say D Pryde is from my hoodsuburb.

Dude somehow has even less identity now than he did before. Fam also definitely both shot and uploaded the video in a day if that was shot here.

Ashamed to say D Pryde is from my hoodsuburb.

Dude somehow has even less identity now than he did before. Fam also definitely both shot and uploaded the video in a day if that was shot here.

D PRIZZZZZY

I saw him when he opened for J cole a couple years ago. Not a fuck was given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom