• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

Kanye absolutely disintegrating on sway in the morning

This guy really taking out his frustrations from Charlemagne on Sway.

jEaaUFYOZPiFa.png
a poor day for Kanye stans all around.

this shit is painful right here, like we all saw it coming but still

Sway: Let me finish my question
Kanye: No, you don't have the answers
Sway: I'm asking you for the answers, it's a question

perfect example, i had to rewind that bit tho

enzo_gt
Y'all putting me #6 on the list after Big Sean!
(Today, 11:30 AM)

haha i know enzo's the go-to ye stan but someone gotta hold that tag

This pent up aggression towards Sway, god fucking damn. Oh god I hope they release the video of this foolishness so we can get some good GIFs out of it. Sway being level headed as fuck and Kanye just going mad. The "slaves" angle comes off as a goddamn scapegoat when dude can't articulate any of it properly and just starts yelling instead.

Kanye just needs to go all the way and do the SEVEN ROLLS ROYCES OUTSIDE thing.

WHATS THE NAME OF YOUR CLOTHING LINE SWAY
WE DON'T KNOW

C2xkH.png

for real, it's not like the consumerism = slavery hasn't been said for years by much more eloquent men, at least go read some beatnik stuff and regurgitate that cause no one's buying the not free/not safe until you go ta billie line man (which is a really weird place to take that line of logic to begin with)

Kanye went from his big cucumber in the pants oppressed voice to Peter Parker in about a half minute.

Have untreated bipolar disorder brehs.

i think he went from peter parker to superior octavious is what happened, otto's biggest problem has been his PR as well

Kanye continuing to get butthurt about MTV year after year is astounding to me and I guess I can call myself a stan.

It's like, dude, you're Kanye West. Why worry about that list?

precisely because he's ye, and gives a fuck about that validation shit - taylor wasn't even the first stage he bumrushed
looking back im sure there were rappers i dug who wanted grammy's/etc but i dont recall any of them making it nearly as known

this

Sounds like his next album will be commercial btw. Gotta make more money to be a revolutionary, after all.

yeah, that was my take as well - yeezus as a vanity/whatever project is one thing, this talk sounds like big pop crossover comin.
the one thing i will give him - and shinobis is always on this about conway - 808s did make/popularize a sound that got big, i imagine he thinks the same of yeezus but even if that pans out, how's he gonna capitalize on it?

Kreed

I've listened to Sway's show for a couple of years now and before today I'd never heard him lose his temper on the air. Come to think of it I don't think I'd ever heard him swear, either. He was ready to cut the mics and settle things outside. The way he said "FUCK this" made me jump back in my seat like it was me he was talking to. Kanye needs someone to check his ego like that more often. Right before Sway went off Kanye was rambling about how he's Warhol, Shakespeare, etc.

For those who want to watch the full interview with Sway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S78tT_YxF_c

Kreed

Can't watch on my phone but does this vid have today's fight in it?

Yep. He starts the interview off early complaining about Charlemagne and Power 105 in the interview, and just gets more and more upset as he goes on and on. Sway just interrupts dude as he's getting more and more upset and tries to calm him down but Sway did nothing to set him off.

Yep. He starts the interview off early complaining about Charlemagne and Power 105 in the interview, and just gets more and more upset as he goes on and on. Sway just interrupts dude as he's getting more and more upset and tries to calm him down but Sway did nothing to set him off.
Yeah dude is nuts

Pretty much. Danny Brown and Kanye interviews are some of the only ones I need to watch.

yeah. but while danny brown looks like a fucking hobo he is VERY articulate and his ideas come across well.

kanye west just sounds like he's off his meds. the sad thing is that he doesn't even know why he's angry. every point he makes gets shot down instantly and he moves on to another complaint.

edit: both made rap aoty contenders though.

Esch

Banned
Making fun and watching Kanye do bullshit like today is part of the experience. He also makes good music, so it works for me.

"I like kanye because of his inane, bipolar and myopic social commentary. Hes such a character. I love watching him demonstrate the necessity of mental public health initiatives"

Fucking stans lol

effzee

yeah. but while danny brown looks like a fucking hobo he is VERY articulate and his ideas come across well.

kanye west just sounds like he's off his meds. the sad thing is that he doesn't even know why he's angry. every point he makes gets shot down instantly and he moves on to another complaint.

edit: both made rap aoty contenders though.

Yeah LOL I used to think he couldn't express his feelings properly in lyrics because they can be limited. Somehow he sounds even less coherent when he goes on these rants where he has 10 + minutes to answer the questions.

WTF he is talking about the French Revolution....and Sway goes "....ok" LMAO.

Again its like he reads the headlines of a lot of different articles or titles of books and then just says it over and over to sound smart or profound. It simply seems like he wants more money and doesn't want anyone to ever say no to him for anything.

The worst thing that happened to him is I think that everyone loves his music now. Back when his biggest obstacle was people denying him to make music or questioning his ability to make music, he was laser focused on making music. Now he seems bored by it and really into his fashion stuff which basically his new goal to keep him moving and a means to make more money.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
"I like kanye because of his inane, bipolar and myopic social commentary. Hes such a character. I love watching him demonstrate the necessity of mental public health initiatives"

Fucking stans lol
I should turn this into a "wacky black guy" joke, but I won't. I'm far too intoxicated for that. Like 6 screwdrivers I've had tonite....

Thanksgiving is coming. I'm just getting ready.

wenis

Can Luda be a "thing" again? To the mainstream at least? Like I know there are some dudes here that'd fuck with a new Luda album but does his name carry any new cache with the potential tween crowd he was popular with a decade ago?

Esch

Banned
Can Luda be a "thing" again? To the mainstream at least? Like I know there are some dudes here that'd fuck with a new Luda album but does his name carry any new cache with the potential tween crowd he was popular with a decade ago?
Nah. And some careers should just stay dead. Like Cubes. DMX too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Real talk time.

I think this Sway interview is the most coherent Ye has been outside of him having the temper tantrum. I don't think he's expressed his concerns and roadblocks as well as he has here. But still nobody probably listened to it, from the looks of how Kreed said he went in on Charlamagne, when nothing of the sort occurred.

The problem here is at some point Sway gives up just to tell Kanye to chill. He keeps pushing, keeps pushing, but at some point he just says "I understand" because Kanye is on attempt #3 trying to explain why relevancy is integral to his plan. He talks about this ecosystem between money/music or product/relevancy/time but none of the shit he says rebuts the examples of Buckwild, etc. It's not really the money I think, money is just a conduit and comes with the territory. He wants the lump sum of respect and relevancy, not to grind it. I mean that's how his entire career has been right? Drop TCD, bam he's on top of the world. Drop Gold Digger. Bam, new heights. Drop Stronger. Bam, become a cultural icon. Drop the Yeezys. Bam, fashion icon and jumped over the jumpman. Drop MBDTF. Bam, inducted yourself into the hip-hop hall of fame and are a legitimate GOAT contender. Drop WTT. Bam, every single one of your haters is singing your song once again. Controlled drops.

The weird thing is, DONDA is doing the exact opposite. It's the super slow grind. It's slowly infiltrating everywhere in places nobody realizes until later. Why can't he build his brand? That was the billion dollar idea. He has a brand already to work with. Marc Ecko said it best, he was just some white kid on the corner selling T-Shirts and he made his name. Yeah he's white so there is that white privilege, but again, all the black revolutionaries Charlamagne brought up suffered arguably more than Ye. Charlamagne stood down against Ye too.

No surprise to anyone here but I genuinely believe this dude wants to do good in the world but he's either implicitly or consciously convinced himself the relevance pillar can't be moved when it comes to infrastructure. Maybe I'm just sympathetic for my artbros. He's saying fuck the system but is acutely aware it's everpresent. If he really said fuck the system, he would not try to weave into it to try to blow it from the inside out the hard way. Now he's out announcing his shots before he takes them. It's a cocktail of all of the above, mixed with not thinking before you speak and having those outbursts of grandeur.

If you take relevance out of the ecosystem and Ye wasn't talking about being all de wai turnt, maybe he'd be talking about this instead of whatever other current exploits he has.

tl;dr: Kanye is the 2ndGOAT behind Pac.

effzee

Who cares what he can be. As long as he puts out an album or some solid work I'll be there.

I always thought he was one of the most underrated rappers from the early 00s.

And was he ever popular with the tween crowd? I just thought he made good mainstream singles, some bangers, but never a full coherent album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Who cares what he can be. As long as he puts out an album or some solid work I'll be there.

I always thought he was one of the most underrated rappers from the early 00s.

And was he ever popular with the tween crowd? I just thought he made good mainstream singles, some bangers, but never a full coherent album.
Tween crowds care the least about coherent albums, no? No purchasing power, going off of whatever is hot at the moment, etc.

Growing up Luda always had his own sort of lane for me. He was like Busta to me. He came and went but he left a footprint that made your ass didn't forget he was still a problem every time. Welcome to India Atlanta was a regular on ever CD I burned. I still have the same file with Flex talking all over the shit from front to back, echoes and all of that.

Personally never thought he was underrated. I never thought he was really GREAT either, though he was obviously very talented. To borrow from Tguy (I think?): a legend, just not my legend.

wenis

Personally never thought he was underrated. I never thought he was really GREAT either, though he was obviously very talented.
That's exactly where the tween crowd lives. They artists they love ain't exactly talented, an they ain't really great, but they can sell the fuck out of a record.

They're surprisingly average. With enough gusto to make them "unique".

effzee

Tween crowds care the least about coherent albums, no? No purchasing power, going off of whatever is hot at the moment, etc.

Maybe so but I didn't know that was his crowd. I never saw him a tween attracting artist. That's bow wow to me.

Growing up Luda always had his own sort of lane for me. He was like Busta to me. He came and went but he left a footprint that made your ass didn't forget he was still a problem every time. Welcome to India Atlanta was a regular on ever CD I burned. I still have the same file with Flex talking all over the shit from front to back, echoes and all of that.

Personally never thought he was underrated. I never thought he was really GREAT either, though he was obviously very talented. To borrow from Tguy (I think?): a legend, just not my legend.

Underrated because around that time a lot of the southern acts were discredited just cause. I mean I don't even like 90% of the music that comes from the south but Luda always stood out. He was just a rapper, not just a southern rapper. Underrated cause he was never mentioned as a top 10 MC when he was very active.

I always thought he killed every feature.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Underrated because around that time a lot of the southern acts were discredited just cause. I mean I don't even like 90% of the music that comes from the south but Luda always stood out. He was just a rapper, not just a southern rapper. Underrated cause he was never mentioned as a top 10 MC when he was very active.

I always thought he killed every feature.
I feel you with the bolded, but I feel like (for me) the stigma with the south and all that wasn't really fully formed. Lil Jon was after Luda and Outkast was before. Those were my landmarks at like age 12. I guess Big Tymers carried a pretty distinctly southern sound and I didn't really look at them and Luda as being cut from the same cloth.

It's weird, but then again I was fucking 12, I didn't really "care" about music until I heard TCD and The Documentary.

Infinite

sup gaf hop. Although I been lurking for a minute it's my first post here so I'll go through the initiation gauntlet. I hope I don't detract too much from the routine kanye west controversy.

Pick a coast to rep - East Coast
Favorite Artist - atm it's Blu all time it would be A Tribe Called Quest
Favourite producer - tie between Kanye West, Madlib, and Nujabes. Tofubeats is up there though
Favourite album - Midnight Marauders
What's in your playlist right now? - Give Me Flowers While I can Still Smell Them, Yeezus, Government Plates, My Name is My Name, My Room my Stage

Rank Kanye's albums: Late Registration > College Dropout > MBDTF > 808s and Heartbreaks > Graduation
Who is the best Wu-Tang member? Gza
Optional: Raekwon or Ghostface? Ghostface
Is Illmatic > Nas' whole life? lol I guess
Who won? Nas or Nas? umm Nas
Biggie or Pac? Biggie
Lil B? Is he a genius or mentally challenged? I'm leaning towards genius but idk
How do you feel about Macklemore? He's a real life white savior trope. Like Tom Cruise in the Last Samurai, Daniel Day-Lewis in last of the mohicans, or the dude in Avatar.
Best odds on coming out before you die: Dre's Detox, GZA's Liquid Swords 2, or Jay Electronica - whatever? trick question right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom