• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Dark Souls is a trial-and-error game only if you don't know how exercise caution. It's not punishing because it's punishing, it's punishing because you are eventually supposed to learn.

You can get pretty far without dying if you try to play it not thinking you are invincible and padding in the gameplay will cushion your mistakes.
Ah, the you're not good at this game argument.

I can do hard if its rewarding and fast paced like dmc, ng, shinobi etc. If im clunking around and dodgerolling... nah.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Dark Souls is a trial-and-error game only if you don't know how exercise caution. It's not punishing because it's punishing, it's punishing because you are eventually supposed to learn.

You can get pretty far without dying if you try to play it not thinking you are invincible and padding in the gameplay will cushion your mistakes.

I like a little story and lore with my RPGs
Thanks

Also the fighting mechanics are fairly clunky as are Dogma's crap controls

This is going to fall on deaf ears, because people love to hate a king, but none of those games are comparable to skyrim as far as design. The physics and geometry involved in skyrim guarantees that it will always be behind other games in terms of how fluid things are. Im surprised they even got it to look and feel as good as it did given the types of things that can happen in the course of a fight in skyrim.

And I disagree. The archery feels great.

Man I hear you, and I understand what the Elder Scrolls does and attempts to do, but they can't craft a mechanically satisfying game whatsoever, IMO. If the mechanics aren't up to snuff, I can't even bother with gawking at the rest of the game. It's the GTA of WRPGs complete with terrible feeling gameplay and overrated critical response.

EDIT: Really want to try Dragon's Dogma. Seems like an interesting concept with how party members are handled and all, but I get the same allure feelings as I did for Skyrim.

Dragon's Dogma has the base for an amazing "high adventure" game. Capcom can take that combat engine with the AI companions, crazy animations, great boss fights + enemy animations and make the Conan The Barbarian game this industry deserves. It's one of the few games I've ever played that actually feels like a group of warriors out on a quest having haphazard skirmishes with wild beats. Unfortunately, they get a lot of the presentation and world building wrong so it's a borefest when you aren't fighting stuff. The game has no character, no mood, no charm. It's ultra vanilla standard medieval fantasy

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ah, the you're not good at this game argument.

I can do hard if its rewarding and fast paced like dmc, ng, shinobi etc. If im clunking around and dodgerolling... nah.
No. It's not about you not being good, it's about consequences and fun being directly linked with your decisions rather than some shitty choice by developers to just swarm you with a trillion enemies, suddenly make all enemies absorb a shitload of bullets etc.

That's why people say the game gives an old school sort of feel. Almost every single time you fuck up, you know YOU did something wrong. You made the wrong decision, and you knew it. You knew you shouldn't have just ran into that corridor without being cautious. You know you should have been more patient and not as vehemently aggressive. And it's rewarding because at the end of the day you know stats mattered less than your instincts and decision making when it came to earning your Ws.

I'm terrible at video games in general. I can't handle Ninja Gaiden on most difficulties. I guess the pacing just isn't fast enough for you to care, but the core mechanics of Dark Souls are nearly flawless design-wise. The fact that someone can do no-gear runs of that game and be rewarded based off of top class decision making is a testament to why that game is as good as it is.

Dragon's Dogma

Are they working on a sequel? Played the demo of the first and LOVED how dynamic the combat was, but the survival-horror mechanic kinda put me off.

Unfortunately, they get a lot of the presentation and world building wrong so it's a borefest when you aren't fighting stuff.

This was the other issue I had, the reason I loved Skyrim was how deep the world was, I didn't get the impression DD had any of the same kind of attention to detail in the lore.

Esch

Banned
Man I hear you, and I understand what the Elder Scrolls does and attempts to do, but they can't craft a mechanically satisfying game whatsoever, IMO. If the mechanics aren't up to snuff, I can't even bother with gawking at the rest of the game. It's the GTA of WRPGs complete with terrible feeling gameplay and overrated critical response.
Sure, as long as you admit that making a game like elder scrolls is harder to execute than any other kind of game out there. Actually, its kind of a wonder TESV is as functional as it is.

Theres a reason Bethesda+Obsidian have no competitors.

Although CDProjekt may indeed meet the mark and exceed it.

Tokubetsu

Dragon's Dogma has the base for an amazing "high adventure" game. Capcom can take that combat engine with the AI companions, crazy animations, great boss fights + enemy animations and make the Conan The Barbarian game this industry deserves. It's one of the few games I've ever played that actually feels like a group of warriors out on a quest having haphazard skirmishes with wild beats. Unfortunately, they get a lot of the presentation and world building wrong so it's a borefest when you aren't fighting stuff. The game has no character, no mood, no charm. It's ultra vanilla standard medieval fantasy

This is a lot of how I feel too. Some combat tweets and more interesting flavor would be cool.

Esch

Banned
Meh. Pace aside. I strongly agree eith Blackace on the subject of the world of Dark Souls. I like my rpgs with a lot of lore, moments to admire scenery and npcs, a feeling of real immersion with the world. Dark Souls is just like getting thrown into one giant shitty looking hard dungeon and getting out of it. I like how it flirts with minimalism, but is bogged down by all the moments of frustration.

I remember when I bought it and started it up Toku immediately imed me on steam and told me not to play it and that it was wack. Praise toku.

Are they working on a sequel? Played the demo of the first and LOVED how dynamic the combat was, but the survival-horror mechanic kinda put me off.

You mean the "dangerous nighttime" stuff? After a certain level, all of that goes out the window and you start trampling most low ranking enemies. The first ~20 levels are a lot harder than the game actually turn out to be once you level up + get gear. The Dark Arisen expansion, though? No thank you. They got the wrong message and damage sponged the eff out of those enemies.

As for a sequel, not anytime soon. They chose to bite Dark Souls instead with that Deep Down game. Who knows how that'll turn out.

Sure, as long as you admit that making a game like elder scrolls is harder to execute than any other kind of game out there. Actually, its kind of a wonder TESV is as functional as it is.

Theres a reason Bethesda+Obsidian have no competitors.

Although CDProjekt may indeed meet the mark and exceed it.

I completely understand the scale of those games and how crazy that undertaking is. But the mechanics doe. In the end, I don't care about how much of an "achievement" the game is because it feels like bleh.

Again, it's like the GTAV arguments I have on Gaming side. Everything about that game's theme is tailor made for me. It's half Michael Mann + half dumb buddy comedy with the most detailed world in open world crime games so far, but I honestly don't like like playing it because it feels bad. Janky core gameplay is pretty much the worst crime a game can commit aside from not running properly. In 99% of cases, I can't forgive it.

That 1% I forgive is Red Dead Redemption because westerns.

And y'know, Kanye, Childish Gambino, and kilts. #hiphop

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
R. Kelly's kilt is pretty dope. On some Emperor shit. The baggy leather garments underneath fuck up the look doe

loved the witcher 1. it had some shit ass combat but the quests and characters really got me through it.

witcher 2 is godly. flaws and all.

i put more hours into skyrim because bethesda games really take so much of your time but...eh. was aiight.

The Elder Scrolls games have abysmal feeling combat. Straight turrrble. If your game is going for realtime combat, it damn well better feel amazing, even if it's simple as hell. Bethesda fails on all fronts when it comes to that. Melee, range, and firearms all feel bad in their games. I don't even want to hear that "But but but RPG" excuse. Nope. It's real time. Even Bioware managed to un-jank Mass Effect for the most part. Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma are on another planet. The Witcher is catching up.
Man your posts on gaming side cause me to delete mine. You always say exactly what I'm about to post. :wow:

loved the witcher 1. it had some shit ass combat but the quests and characters really got me through it.

witcher 2 is godly. flaws and all.

i put more hours into skyrim because bethesda games really take so much of your time but...eh. was aiight.

btw, whoever said the Can Ox album was wack is smokin on something.

Trey

I'm going to have to get much farther into Witcher 2 to see the Zelda comparisons cuz that shit ain't analogous at all in the early game.

Man your posts on gaming side cause me to delete mine. You always say exactly what I'm about to post. :wow:

You're like the 3rd person to tell me this :lol. Good to know there are like minded people around GAF. Reminds me that I'm not crazy (or not the only crazy one :shrug:)

Kiss Land and Built To Fade on repeat. I haven't listened to a hip-hop project in weeks. MMLP2 killed me.

kodecraft

Been playing the hell outta this since I discovered it.

tumblr_mtyv29dRNI1qff46jo1_500.gif

IrishNinja

wow, as bad as gaming side is, some of ya'll don't even hang on that level

Agreed lol

More like an ugly, depressing exercise in trial and error boredom... souls games are lame as shit.

see at least with toku i can cite a point when his taste in games was worth consideration; nonsense like this reminds me that's not the case here. prolly got this opinion watching a YT vid

also

because people love to hate a king

that tied together nicely

I like a little story and lore with my RPGs
Thanks

Also the fighting mechanics are fairly clunky as are Dogma's crap controls

minimal = better if your lore is tolkein ripoff 101 with a drab world devoid of good art design, uninteresting quests & NPCs etc

though if Souls' combat was nearly as piss-poor i'd prolly try to focus on other elements too

I remember when I bought it and started it up Toku immediately imed me on steam and told me not to play it and that it was wack. Praise toku.

damn, i take back my prior respect for dude, this is like hearing someone say they only fuck with ringtone rap
also congrats on forming your own opinion

Tokubetsu

To be fair, I always tell people the shit they play on steam is garbage. Dark Souls is alright in my book but GAF like so many things gaming wise hype shit to ridiculous levels. I don't think DS deserves half the love it gets. It's a very peculiar game. It's not for most people and on that basis I think it's not fair to just blindly recommend it to people.

I think X-COM is an amazing game and great experience but I wouldn't recommend it to a dude like Irish nahmean? Like, odds are that isn't in his wheel house you know?
we're all just not gonna mention how garbage the beat they forced clams to make is right

aight cool

It's not Clams fault that Vic is a struggle D-list bro rapper who wouldn't know what flow was if he was hit in the head with a period pad.
Whenever I see dudes like Vic rap and have nice things I always think to myself "I could do this."

IrishNinja

nah, and not that it doesn't look interesting, just not my kinda thing...it's one of those ill prolly check out on the cheap when i clear up my backlog at some point (lotta good word of mouth from some around here) but its not the kinda title i line up & pay full price for day 1, is all

was simply agreeing with tokus separating from esha's take because i think it's a lot more mature/better when someone can recognize that not every experience appeals to them/others, is all. there's numerous links on here that get posted that i might not feel but can respect what it's doing all the same...what's that line from jitters? "its a classic, just not my classic"

*modern one; i did have friends that played the old stuff inna day but we ain't had a PC

Blackace

nah, and not that it doesn't look interesting, just not my kinda thing...it's one of those ill prolly check out on the cheap when i clear up my backlog at some point (lotta good word of mouth from some around here) but its not the kinda title i line up & pay full price for day 1, is all

was simply agreeing with tokus separating from esha's take because i think it's a lot more mature/better when someone can recognize that not every experience appeals to them/others, is all. there's numerous links on here that get posted that i might not feel but can respect what it's doing all the same...what's that line from jitters? "its a classic, just not my classic"

*modern one; i did have friends that played the old stuff inna day but we ain't had a PC

So you didn't like FFT back in the day also?

IrishNinja

Ehh i did, but it was a rare exception, consolized strategy RPGs (Shining Force, Vandal Hearts, FFT) i'd indulge once in a while but even those aren't a go-to for me. consolized RTS stuff like Herzog Zwei, Pikmin etc i'd mess with too but rarely see to completion - the former being a competitive one anyway.

by the time i finally got my own PC in '97, most dudes i knew were still fucking with Diablo, Quake 2/etc, and i had a backlog of adventure stuff i wanted to play. a little while later you had stuff like Deus Ex and i wasn't really inclined to revisit stuff like X-com, though i did fuck with C&C and Warcraft II a lot more

Blackace

Ehh i did, but it was a rare exception, consolized strategy RPGs (Shining Force, Vandal Hearts, FFT) i'd indulge once in a while but even those aren't a go-to for me. consolized RTS stuff like Herzog Zwei, Pikmin etc i'd mess with too but rarely see to completion - the former being a competitive one anyway.

by the time i finally got my own PC in '97, most dudes i knew were still fucking with Diablo, Quake 2/etc, and i had a backlog of adventure stuff i wanted to play. a little while later you had stuff like Deus Ex and i wasn't really inclined to revisit stuff like X-com, though i did fuck with C&C and Warcraft II a lot more

Me personally... X-Com the OG one and the TFtD are like in my top 5/8 games of all time.. (as one game not both taking 2 slots...) and pretty much shits all over FFT (which I loved as well)

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I fucking hated dark souls first time I played it. I wasn't enjoying it at all, and thought it just appealed the that "self torture" crowd of gamers who like playing games on ultra murder death hard difficulty with one hand behind their back and a dick up their nose. But second time through a few months later I kind of got the hang of it and managed to advanced through more smoothly, with less deaths and got to see the world open up a bit more. Until I rolled off a cliff and lost 5 hours worth of collected souls. Suddenly I just wanted to do something else. Never really came back to the game.

Skyrim's only real issue to me is the completely shitty weapons/armor system. There is no excitement in finding a chest anymore since you aren't going to get some badass holy shit weapon. Especially if you've pimped yourself in some dragon or draedic armor. At that point nothing you pick up is worth anything except to sell off. If it had a borderlands/diablo type loot system where you never know what you might get and there are tons of different possible combinations that continue to get better and better the longer you play and farther you advance, I might not ever stop playing skyrim. Instead within the first few days of playing I had the best armor and weapons I was ever going to get and was going immortal killing machine on dragons and giants without breaking a sweat. Still love the world though, and that exploring is actually rewarding...which is why...

The GTA games can go suck a bag of dicks. Their obsession with scope rather than detail pisses me off and makes me think they don't know what the fuck they are doing. I don't want 80000 mini games that let me do stupid mundane bullshit. I want a reason to go exploring through that complex. Or climb that mountain. Or check out that patch of forest. Or head down to the underside of that dock. Every goddamn edition I play, I keep waiting for them to start giving me a good reason to explore. More guns, money, or just collectables scattered around. Make a basic loot system where you can trade in random items you find for cash or weapon upgrades. Something goddamnit to make my desire to explore be rewarded. Instead I end up spending hours checking out every nook and cranny I see for absolutely nothing until I decide fuck all that, lets just finish this stupid game and be done with it.

X-Com was fun for a while but I just kind of hit a wall and gave up. But I did enjoy the hell out of it for a while. FFT still the second best FF game ever made (behind 6).

Blackace

X-Com was fun for a while but I just kind of hit a wall and gave up. But I did enjoy the hell out of it for a while. FFT still the second best FF game ever made (behind 6).

The OG games were better, because they were super random and had better tech trees.. the expansion was basically what the new version of the game should have been off rip.. but oh well

and really FFT is maybe my favorite FF or tied with 4 for me

IrishNinja

^ya'll ever get a chance to check out FF XII? Its not for everyone but the gambit system made the combat actually enjoyable for me, which is a rarity in RPG's. huge interconnected world with lots of lore, and it's in Ivalice (Matsuno - Vagrant Story/FFT) so that's a plus, but yeah the story doesn't hold up to say VI or even IV overall...still in my top 3 for the series

The GTA games can go suck a bag of dicks. Their obsession with scope rather than detail pisses me off and makes me think they don't know what the fuck they are doing. I don't want 80000 mini games that let me do stupid mundane bullshit. I want a reason to go exploring through that complex. Or climb that mountain. Or check out that patch of forest. Or head down to the underside of that dock. Every goddamn edition I play, I keep waiting for them to start giving me a good reason to explore. More guns, money, or just collectables scattered around. Make a basic loot system where you can trade in random items you find for cash or weapon upgrades. Something goddamnit to make my desire to explore be rewarded. Instead I end up spending hours checking out every nook and cranny I see for absolutely nothing until I decide fuck all that, lets just finish this stupid game and be done with it.

this, all day - i totally play a bit & blow stuff up/fuck about but nearly every damn time there's nothing compelling me to return to the game proper. and despite Macca's wishes i'll avoid a Shenmue aside on detailed worlds, so...did you play Read Dead Redeption? this was the sole exception for me this last gen, shit had some pacing issues but overall balanced sidequests/the world with a desire to see the game through, totally raised the bar for me on western sandbox games

*caveat: i have not yet played GTA V so i dunno if that'll end up another exception or not

siddx

The OG games were better, because they were super random and had better tech trees.. the expansion was basically what the new version of the game should have been off rip.. but oh well

and really FFT is maybe my favorite FF or tied with 4 for me

FFT really is amazing. I've owned that game so many times over, most recently the ipad version. Just love being a spamming ass fool and sitting around a map after turning the last enemy into a chicken while the rest of my team beats the shit out of each other to gain jp and xp.

siddx

^ya'll ever get a chance to check out FF XII? Its not for everyone but the gambit system made the combat actually enjoyable for me, which is a rarity in RPG's. huge interconnected world with lots of lore, and it's in Ivalice (Matsuno - Vagrant Story/FFT) so that's a plus, but yeah the story doesn't hold up to say VI or even IV overall...still in my top 3 for the series

this, all day - i totally play a bit & blow stuff up/fuck about but nearly every damn time there's nothing compelling me to return to the game proper. and despite Macca's wishes i'll avoid a Shenmue aside on detailed worlds, so...did you play Read Dead Redeption? this was the sole exception for me this last gen, shit had some pacing issues but overall balanced sidequests/the world with a desire to see the game through, totally raised the bar for me on western sandbox games

*caveat: i have not yet played GTA V so i dunno if that'll end up another exception or not

Yeah I really enjoyed red dead redemption. Far Cry 3 got a lot of play from me, and of course Fallout NV and 3. Sleeping Dogs was good as they did a decent job of having enough collectibles to make me want to explore to some degree. Saints Row 2 was awesome, 3 was alright, 4 was fun but I hated how they made you superman right off the bat, making half the game irrelevant. Why the fuck am I going to care about the vehicles when I can just superspeed my ass across the map? Borderlands 2 still gets constant play from me. I really love open world games, I just hate that so many of them don't put enough time and effort on making the world interesting and worth exploring.

Don't remind me. Matsuno getting cancer injected into his eye was the worst thing to happen. It was mostly downhill for Final Fantasy and him after that.

Blackace

Yeah I really enjoyed red dead redemption. Far Cry 3 got a lot of play from me, and of course Fallout NV and 3. Sleeping Dogs was good as they did a decent job of having enough collectibles to make me want to explore to some degree. Saints Row 2 was awesome, 3 was alright, 4 was fun but I hated how they made you superman right off the bat, making half the game irrelevant. Why the fuck am I going to care about the vehicles when I can just superspeed my ass across the map? Borderlands 2 still gets constant play from me. I really love open world games, I just hate that so many of them don't put enough time and effort on making the world interesting and worth exploring.

V was pretty good, tho.. closer to RDR than to GTAIV..

I wish it had more heist tho..

And SR 2 and 3 were awesome sauce.. 4.. not so much, but at least it was the ultimate fan service

IrishNinja

Tactics was that game that shitted on your efforts, though...i had this squad, they were masterfully equipped/paired (even got the zodiac affinities right), and then bam, the game introduces Orladu, that dude who can do 2 skills better than the 2 individuals you had handling them.

it keeps doing it too, plot people show up and bench ya whole team - oh, you're A-level at summoning? how quaint; I'm S-rank at that and healing too, please have a seat

Don't remind me. Matsuno getting cancer injected into his eye was the worst thing to happen. It was mostly downhill for Final Fantasy and him after that.

wait say what now, i thought he just left or something
and yeah i mean i hope XV goes well but i havent been hyped about an FF worth talking about since...XII, and it's been a minute since '06...thank god SMT/Persona replaced that for me a while back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom