• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Replaying Skyrim. Still game of the generation. Got them mods going, whew
Maybe with mods.

Without mods I don't think I've dropped any game I've played this generation faster. Probably up there for most overrated game alongside Saints Row 3.

Trey

Hey guys, Yeezus is taking over the music industry

tumblr_mwspb9W2c71s3o6xlo1_400.jpg

cousin look like somebody pressed random on create a character in an MMO. This kilt wave really a thing?

Without mods I don't think I've dropped any game I've played this generation faster. Probably up there for most overrated game alongside Saints Row 3.

The Third slaps, great game for people who want to have fun. IV is even better.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The Third slaps, great game for people who want to have fun. IV is even better.
Open-world game with a boring open-world. All the dildoes in the world to slap folks with and there's no character in the world to make it fun. Some of the story and side missions are fun, but everything else is just dreary, only made it halfway through the game.

overcast

Damn Im loving this new Gambino.

So emotionally manipulative, but it works for me

#souljagirlanthems
Haha. Haven't listened to it yet. Heard there is more singing on it.
Maybe with mods.

Yeah, i didn't have fun with Skyrim at all. Saints Row the third looked fun, but I never played it.

Bout to listened to the new Gambino for the first time. Expecting AOTY material. Lets go.

Oh wow how come no one told me the new Can Ox dropped too. *sigh* I need to stop slippin.

Thabiz mentioned Cannibal Ox new album, but I couldn't even find any info on a new album being released so I just forgot about it. That gotham stuff they did earlier this year wasn't all that hot anyway

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Enzo is definitely the type of dude to play a TES game with no mods and go straight to the main quest all the way through.
Don't remember there being gameplay mods out when I played.

That said, if your game is so shit that you need the community to fix it to be worthwhile well..

That said, if your game is so shit that you need the community to fix it to be worthwhile well..

dude you should already know the deal with a Bethesda game before you even hit the start button. its not like they're a new kid on the block.

IrishNinja

Replaying Dark Souls. Still game of the generation. Got them mods going, whew

fix'd

Maybe with mods.

didnt play SR3 yet but i'll cosign the rest of this

I heard it wasn't good though.

kinda sad but then if a can ox album in 2013 was solid at least a few heads here would've been screaming it from the rafters, so i gota expect as much

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
dude you should already know the deal with a Bethesda game before you even hit the start button. its not like they're a new kid on the block.
Yeah, that was my first TES or Bethesda game though. Then I played Fallout 3. Then I decided it was better I not check out anything from them ever again.

Yeah, that was my first TES or Bethesda game though. Then I played Fallout 3. Then I decided it was better I not check out anything from them ever again.

well there ya go. Bethesda games aren't bad without mods. Its just that...They're SO MUCH BETTER with them.

cdyhybrid

The mods will always be there so not a big deal to me. As long as they keep giving modders the necessary tools the games just need to be functional.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The mods will always be there so not a big deal to me. As long as they keep giving modders the necessary tools the games just need to be functional.
Yeah I commend them at least for that. Giving people new ways to play or create new ways to play is always a plus.

Generally, I'm not big into RPGs either. Prefer pseudo-RPGs or at least RPG mechanics integrated into other genres. I get way too cognizant of the tropes and everything becomes a bit less novel for me.

Esch

Banned
Game isnt bad without mods, its an 8 something. Get some custom loot, add better magic, streamline the UI and you have one of the best games ever made. Just based on interactivity and exploration alone.

You also kinda have to play TES as the right class though. Assassin playthroughs are the best but tank and modded mage are also great.

Game isnt bad without mods, its an 8 something. Get some custom loot, add better magic, streamline the UI and you have one of the best games ever made. Just based on interactivity and exploration alone.

You also kinda have to play TES as the right class though. Assassin playthroughs are the best but tank and modded mage are also great.

cat thief all day.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Everything looks dope about Skyrim to me...except the combat. Just looks clunk as fuck.

Skyrim has that allure. You know when you see a game that looks dope, great visuals, some nifty mechanics or features; maybe that one feature that looks like it could go either way. And then you play the game and that feature you were iffy about ends up bringing everything down with it, then compounds with some tragically boring dungeons which you couldn't foresee, etc. It's the buildup and then the build down.

IrishNinja

enzo, you ever play Demons/Dark Souls? the structure/combat is way more satisfying, and the lovecraftian feel is some berserk level darkness that makes overcoming shit really satisfying...it's the refined man's TES, really. give either a go if you get a chance man, PvP scene is also crazy awesome but largely optional if that's not your thing

The Elder Scrolls games have abysmal feeling combat. Straight turrrble. If your game is going for realtime combat, it damn well better feel amazing, even if it's simple as hell. Bethesda fails on all fronts when it comes to that. Melee, range, and firearms all feel bad in their games. I don't even want to hear that "But but but RPG" excuse. Nope. It's real time. Even Bioware managed to un-jank Mass Effect for the most part. Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma are on another planet. The Witcher is catching up.

IrishNinja

yeah i really gotta take 2011 era tokus' advice and finally give Witcher 2 a proper go sometime, i just really couldn't get into part 1...combat, sidequests, i think i made it halfway through that marsh area or whatever it was early on and kinda lost interest, but he & others sang 2's praises from the heavens back then

Refined man's TES?

lolololololol

you heard

iavi

Yeh, The Witcher 2 is a completely different beast from Tw1, mechanically, for better AND worse. Much worse, in aspects.

Amazing game, still. And if combat and pacing was your issue in 1, that's fixed in 2.

Esch

Banned
The Elder Scrolls games have abysmal feeling combat. Straight turrrble. If your game is going for realtime combat, it damn well better feel amazing, even if it's simple as hell. Bethesda fails on all fronts when it comes to that. Melee, range, and firearms all feel bad. I don't even want to hear that "But but but RPG" excuse. Nope. It's real time. Even Bioware managed to un-jank Mass Effect for the most part. Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma are on another planet. The Witcher is catching up.
This is going to fall on deaf ears, because people love to hate a king, but none of those games are comparable to skyrim as far as design. The physics and geometry involved in skyrim guarantees that it will always be behind other games in terms of how fluid things are. Im surprised they even got it to look and feel as good as it did given the types of things that can happen in the course of a fight in skyrim.

And I disagree. The archery feels great.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
enzo, you ever play Demons/Dark Souls? the structure/combat is way more satisfying, and the lovecraftian feel is some berserk level darkness that makes overcoming shit really satisfying...it's the refined man's TES, really. give either a go if you get a chance man, PvP scene is also crazy awesome but largely optional if that's not your thing
Yeah, I have Dark Souls. Now THAT is a game that met the [GAF] hype for me. What I love most about the combat in that game is that when I fuck up I never blame the game or ineptitude of the design/developers, only for not trusting my instincts, overstepping myself or not being good enough.

It's not exactly the same kind of game as TES though, I would say it's more focused story/exploration-wise. I haven't touched it in a while though because I am legitimately terrified of going into Sen's Fortress.

EDIT: Really want to try Dragon's Dogma. Seems like an interesting concept with how party members are handled and all, but I get the same allure feelings as I did for Skyrim.

yeah i really gotta take 2011 era tokus' advice and finally give Witcher 2 a proper go sometime, i just really couldn't get into part 1...combat, sidequests, i think i made it halfway through that marsh area or whatever it was early on and kinda lost interest, but he & others sang 2's praises from the heavens back then

you heard
Yeah I have still yet to play Witcher 2 but I attempted to playthrough the first game like 5 times. Just wasn't for me at all.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Agreed lol

More like an ugly, depressing exercise in trial and error boredom... souls games are lame as shit.
Dark Souls is a trial-and-error game only if you don't know how exercise caution. It's not punishing because it's punishing, it's punishing because you are eventually supposed to learn.

You can get pretty far without dying if you try to play it not thinking you are invincible and padding in the gameplay will cushion your mistakes.

Esch

Banned
Yeah I have still yet to play Witcher 2 but I attempted to playthrough the first game like 5 times. Just wasn't for me at all.
Totally different games. Witcher 1 is a somewhat fun eurojank rpg, witcher 2 is zelda for big boys.

Tokubetsu

Archery was garbage in Oblivion without mods (the arrow velocity mod was mandatory) but its fine out of the box in Skyrim for me. I only play sneaky dagger archer rogues in these games.

Dragon's Dogma is cool but combat can be punishing in a way that Dark Souls isn't. In DS you die because you fucked up, or something got the jump on you. In DD you will routinely have to make your way through areas that aren't your level to get to a quest that is. A lot of fights feel like WoW raid fights with you just barely doing any damage even when exploiting weaknesses. Game is fun when you can actually kill things at a decent pace though.

And don't listen to Iavi. There is nothing Witcher 1 does that isn't totally removed or better in Witcher 2. Combat in TW1 is pure ass. You should straight up only be playing TW1 because you like the story/dialog.
Totally different games. Witcher 1 is a somewhat fun eurojank rpg, witcher 2 is zelda for big boys.

Lol I'm stealing this. Apt description.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom