• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldvein

Banned
p_diddy_1.gif

luv that gif. bahahah

oh, hey, top of the page, whats up guys?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Esch

Banned
I know but I don't want to run a plug with y'all running one at the same time.

Doesn't feel kosher.

Go ahead man, it's all good. Ironically enough, I made the alternate room so people would stop bitching and complaining, but I guess there's no helping some of you boys.

Cheddahz

Banned
Battles are fun as hell to watch. I don't follow them like some people here do, but I always get a kick out of them (URL > KOTD)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Go ahead man, it's all good. Ironically enough, I made the alternate room so people would stop bitching and complaining, but I guess there's no helping some of you boys.
Yeah it's just me and Esch in there now, so it's no big deal.

I've been thinking about making a separate room too, glad you made one.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is battle rapping getting popular or is just this thread?????
There has been recent growth. It's still pretty damn niche I think, but there has been steady growth since the modern era started about 4-5 years ago. Things are getting bigger within the culture though, better pay, bigger venues, better production (4K!).

You're just hearing about it now because people like Daylyt and Lux are getting attention for doing exceptional things.

Then there's stuff like Smack getting partnerships with BET, more actual industry rappers following the culture, musicians sponsoring and hosting events, the Slaughterhouse show, etc. that is a bit more explicit, but I don't think there has been a spike in popularity in general.

Maybe just this thread, but even still it's not like I helped put on maybe more than 3 people.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
There has been recent growth. It's still pretty damn niche I think, but there has been steady growth since the modern era started about 4-5 years ago. Things are getting bigger within the culture though, better pay, bigger venues, better production (4K!).

You're just hearing about it now because people like Daylyt and Lux are getting attention for doing exceptional things.

Then there's stuff like Smack getting partnerships with BET, more actual industry rappers following the culture, musicians sponsoring and hosting events, the Slaughterhouse show, etc. that is a bit more explicit, but I don't think there has been a spike in popularity in general.

Maybe just this thread, but even still it's not like I helped put on maybe more than 3 people.

8 mile Enzo

Esch

Banned
Is battle rapping getting popular or is just this thread?????
I dunno man. I just live off laughter man. I just want that shit that will have me dying. Id say that about 30 to 40 percent of the reason I wake up in the morning is because life is really entertaining. Im in it for the jokes and laughs man.

So when I see hilarious ancillary aspects of battle rap culture, I end up enjoying it a lot overall. Even if battles might come up short or maybe even a little generic.

'HE TOOK YOU OUT YOUR COMFORT ZONE, DANJA ZONE.And he swagged on you. I told you he was gon' swag on you. You think im out here saying random shit? No. Real shit my ninja.'

Perfect.

What drove me away from the battling stuff was that as match ups got more and more hype, and the videos started pushing into the 20+ minute range, like half of the battle is people going "Aight, yo chill. Aight aight yo calm down. YO SSHHHHHHHH. QUIET DOWN Y'ALL."

Like, can we have some decorum so I can hear these 2 people character assassinate each other in a reasonable amount of time?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What drove me away from the battling stuff was that as match ups got more and more hype, and the videos started pushing into the 20+ minute range, like half of the battle is people going "Aight, yo chill. Aight aight yo calm down. YO SSHHHHHHHH. QUIET DOWN Y'ALL."

Like, can we have some decorum so I can hear these 2 people character assassinate each other in a reasonable amount of time?
This is a legitimate problem with rowdier crowds like Summer Madness 3 and NOME's, but doesn't represent the majority of battles at all. I can only think of those two events where it was on the scale of being an issue. When people are reacting to hard punches though, it generally adds to the battle. It's kind of awkward, some of the latest Smack battles have extended reactions edited out and it feels weird even though it's more conservative on time.

There's a lot of battles I want to play in plugs, but they're just way too fucking long because of loosely regulated time limits and like 7+ minutes of ads at the start. Tests anyone's patience. That said, I do like 3+ minute rounds more than 30s/1m/90s rounds. It's a lot of time to put away to watch something and that's what drives people away from it most IMO, especially when you really need to watch more than one battle to get an idea of what someone was talking about in another battle.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Major Lazer ft. Pharrell - Aerosol Can.

This OG Bobby Johnson on this Hemsworth tape...

tumblr_mzvzz1OcWn1r14t54o1_400%5B1%5D.gif

Nothing makes me feel more Poindexter than battle rapping.
Don't get all Toku on me and get scared by the paragraphs, it really can be enjoyed at any level of depth, it just may be hard to find those battles without knowing who any of these dudes are. For instance, I think anyone watching Real Deal vs. B Magic without prior knowledge of other battle shit will have a good time and be entertained. I approach battles like I would comedy sketches more often than not.

Not understanding stuff usually comes down to references to other battle rappers they make to clown them, thats all. Like Arsonal acting like a hard crip but driving a schoolbus for a living, etc.

Musical Taste:

Pick a coast to rep - West
Favorite Artist - Outkast
Best feature killer - 2 Chainz
Andre 3000
Favourite producer - At the moment it's DJ Dahi
Favourite album - Aquemini
What's in your playlist right now? - Danny Brown, Isaiah Rashad, Q, Kendrick, Run the Jewels

GAF-Hop Discusses:

Rank Kanye's albums: MBDTF, LR, Yeezus, CD, Graduation, 808s
Who is the best Wu-Tang member? Raekwon
Optional: Raekwon or Ghostface? Raekwon
Is Illmatic > Nas' whole life? Nah he's made tons of great records since then
Who won? Nas or Nas? Nas
Jay-Z
Biggie or Pac? Pac
Lil B? Is he a genius or mentally challenged? Haven't bothered listening to him
How do you feel about Macklemore? I think he makes great songs however a lot of his fans do suffer from the "I hate rap music but I love [white rapper]" thing. But that's not his fault lol
Best odds on coming out before you die: Dre's Detox, GZA's Liquid Swords 2, or Jay Electronica - whatever? Jay Electronica

By the way you guys are sleeping on Cilvia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom