• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRS

man, im cool with smokin' it anyway I can. Sometimes a blunt hits the right spot.

I'm smokin a hand pipe right now. might do bong rips on friday. edibles on sunday.

I'm with you there. I'm not trying to hate here. Hey, if you got it, fuck it, why not. More power to you.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
yea i aint fuckin with wax anymore. that high was not comfortable and then when i learned how the shit is made... that didn't sit right with me.

kief tho, i love kief. having a catcher on my grinder now is pretty great.

HiiiLife

Tell me what happened HiiiLife

Lol. I'm really thinking about changing my name because of that.

But it was pretty much three hits of straight kief out of a bowl. Everything seemed so loud and I lowkey wanted to cry because I wanted the high to come down already. That was the first and last time I tried kief.

Edit: I just crashed in my homies guest room while everyone else partied because I was done that night.

njean777

Man I wish I could still smoke or drink, but after doing it during middle school and high school for so long I just started hating the way it made me feel. Now I do not do anything anymore. Anytime I get drunk or high now I just feel like complete shit and want to go lie down, neither does anything for me anymore.

HiiiLife

I should clear it up that I'm not a pothead lol. I smoke and drink occasionally. I just chose HiLife because Hawaii is my home state and decided to add two more ii's because I dig Black Hippy's music.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
The deals the US military makes with Hollywood are so beneficial to both parties. Hollywood gets authentic looking shit in their movies and the US gets to instill fear into the rest of the world. Come on, seen the latest Captain Phillips trailers? Yes the story is about captain Phillips but spoilers :
the US military then comes and fucks pirates up
Seven Dark Thirty? transformers?
Everybody watches Hollywood films andthey all see the military just killng people.
And they also get people to sign up for their army! Top Gun spiked enlistment.
I bet new films do the same!

Such a great idea.

Captain Phillips looks great.

Its propaganda Broheims, plain and simple.... also Captain Philips is kind of what I do career wise. Fun little fact most pirate attacks would be avoidable if the ships went maybe 12 knots faster on average. The only reason they don't is it would cost about an extra $30, 000 a day on average on bunker (fuel). Literally its cheaper to either pay the pirate insurance to cover the ship and crew or put a couple of ex marines with high powered rifles on the ship instead. On another note the threat of piracy has moved so far out of the suez canal the whole indian Ocean is now a higher premium for insurance.

Mr.Swag

Banned
I need to make firecrackers again.
One of the only times I did it was back in high school when I went to a dance show.
My sis was performing so my moms came.
Little did she know that I was high a fuck tho sitting next to her.
Music was great. And since it was dark for a long time I was pretty much safe to just sit and chill stones out my mind.

HiiiLife

How do you guys feel about people claiming Kendrick as one of the greats along with Nas in their all time lists? Does he deserve it? Should they give him more time considering he just barely released his major label debut? And do you feel he IS the leader of the new school? Is there really any competition between him and his peers?

Just curious. Because the K. Dot sensation will begin again soon. Lol.

cdyhybrid

How do you guys feel about people claiming Kendrick as one of the greats along with Nas in their all time lists? Does he deserve it? Should they give him more time considering he just barely released his major label debut? And do you feel he IS the leader of the new school? Is there really any competition between him and his peers?

He's not there yet. Has the talent, doesn't have the track record (yet).

overcast

He absolutely needs to drop more stuff, and it needs to be years after his material has been out. He's my favorite rapper, but there is no way he is a "great" or even close as of now. I think he is the leader, but Drake's sales numbers don't lie.

It impressed me that he was able to attract mainstream success and praise across every single platform essentially, but he needs to keep it up. I would say he's the best of the new school by quite a bit though. I don't consider Danny new school, and GKMC is easily the best work any of these "new" dudes have put out.

HiiiLife

I love Kendrick and the TDE movement and if anything, they got me back into newer hip hop. I can't say that for any other of rap's newer acts. But some people can't let the mans nuts breathe. Haha. So, a certain amount of hype is justified? And people proclaiming him the King of Rap? (Not to be confused with King of NY).

See I agree with y'all saying he needs a bigger résumé and more time. And GKMC is definitely my favorite album from the newer generation. But man, I cannot tell my friends ANYTHING when it comes to TDE.

DominoKid

iGv9SWBHa4FV6.gif

not yet.

he aint the leader as long as Drake pulling in the numbers he is either.

HiiiLife

I obviously shouldn't be getting bent over my own friends opinions but man, I just gotta say something when Kendrick is brand new. Lol. Of course I'm excited.. Yet at the same time I'm loathing the cypher because after he kills it, the statements will once again come out the woodwork that led me to ask these questions in the first place. Haha. Clearly it's a me problem and I need to stop bitching over trivial things but.. Smh.

A Toronto DJ tweeted a link to the Control 2 snippet, saying 'Kendrick Lamar DISSES DRAKE'

first comment:

"that was so rude, he's so unprofessional"

Funny thing is Drake will probably say the same.

Weird, my first time seeing Drake live was at a Kendrick concert

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

Well his first album was dope, but still sold less than the Documentary

overcast

Well his first album was dope, but still sold less than the Documentary
Documentary had some good hits on it, and it's a cool album.

I actually do feel like sales don't tell the whole story like they used to, given the multitude of ways people are getting these albums.

Blackace

Documentary had some good hits on it, and it's a cool album.

I actually do feel like sales don't tell the whole story like they used to, given the multitude of ways people are getting these albums.

Documentary is a classic, but one great album tells less than sales..

HiiiLife

Your post makes a lot more sense now.

Haha. If anything it's right there in your face seeing people's statements on social networks, especially when it's trending. Sure they can give their opinions just like we can give ours, but their opinions are wrong so fuck em. Lol.

IrishNinja

He's not there yet. Has the talent, doesn't have the track record (yet).

yeah, im with this. if idve dropped GKMC id talk that talk too but he just needs to keep at it

he aint the leader as long as Drake pulling in the numbers he is either.

was just addressing this mess in the drizzy cheerleader thread - fuckouttahere with this popgaf sales-age shit; the top MC is who sells best? bout to fuck around and put some KRS up in this thread cause that's nonsense

how's drake leading shit when only weekend arguably trynna sound like him? ya'll just got done talmbout is kendrick on nas' king level, like nas, big etc ever put up those kinda #'s either

HiiiLife

I wish I was into hip hop back then like I am now. I remember fucking with The Documentary (like everybody else in middle school) when it dropped but I'd be lying if I had the thought process of saying, "Oh this dude has potential. I can see him killing it in the future if he keeps it up." Instead I was just some little shit that thought the album sounded nice. And that goes for a lot of rap albums when I was in middle school. Lol. It wasn't until HS that I really wanted to get into the genre and started from my uncles old De La Soul, Jurassic 5 and Bone Thugs tapes and gradually worked my way up and fell in love with a lot rappers music.

And to me, The Game still hasn't topped The Documentary.

For the GAF Hop veterans, the "potential/promise" that Jayceon showed back when his debut dropped, like at the point in time, is it reflective of Kendrick's "potential" right now?

I mean.. Can you imagine the reaction if K. Dot will never top GKMC. Lol.

Dereck

I wish I was into hip hop back then like I am now. I remember fucking with The Documentary (like everybody else in middle school) when it dropped but I'd be lying if I had the thought process of saying, "Oh this dude has potential. I can see him killing it in the future if he keeps it up." Instead I was just some little shit that thought the album sounded nice. And that goes for a lot of rap albums when I was in middle school. Lol. It wasn't until HS that I really wanted to get into the genre and started from my uncles old De La Soul, Jurassic 5 and Bone Thugs tapes and gradually worked my way up and fell in love with a lot rappers music.

And to me, The Game still hasn't topped The Documentary.

For the GAF Hop veterans, the "potential/promise" that Jayceon showed back when his debut dropped, like at the point in time, is it reflective of Kendrick's "potential" right now?

I mean.. Can you imagine the reaction if K. Dot will never top GKMC. Lol.
Kendrick not topping GKMC is a big fear that I have.

DominoKid

yeah, im with this. if idve dropped GKMC id talk that talk too but he just needs to keep at it

was just addressing this mess in the drizzy cheerleader thread - fuckouttahere with this popgaf sales-age shit; the top MC is who sells best? bout to fuck around and put some KRS up in this thread cause that's nonsense

how's drake leading shit when only weekend arguably trynna sound like him? ya'll just got done talmbout is kendrick on nas' king level, like nas, big etc ever put up those kinda #'s either

kendrick's music isn't so much better (IMO it isnt better at all) to negate the massive numbers advantage that drake has. it matters.

IrishNinja

And to me, The Game still hasn't topped The Dounentary.

ninja that's not "to me" up there, that's everybody

and no because dre co-sign that ace was on (did k-dot have that? i dont think he did) plus look at that album's production, its dre, just blaze, ye, storch, timbaland, cool & dre etc.
now look at section 80...there's some names but not nearly on that level. id argue game got hooked up, not as much as say 50 did with GRODT but way closer to that. k-dot showed range on features & his sophmore album, game's done some great tracks but lacks a solid album since that gift so i can't say it's the same.

Blackace

Then why has album sales dropped so much from what it used to be?

Documentary is one of my favourite albums though. Doctors Advocate was great too.

well now you can buy singles, and it has been more accessible to download stuff... but harder in 2005? Come now.. Pirate Bay had been full steam ahead about that time, p2p laws have yet to be passed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom