• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drake is just Drake. I mean, I've grown to appreciate the guy but if I'm looking to here some rap music, he's the last person I think of. I can understand how someone looking at the state of hip hop might completely ignore that he's a part of it. Drake doing big numbers doesn't mean that the rap game is healthy right now. He's so far ahead of any of his peers there has to be something else at play.

Sales+highly sought out features is something. KDot has one album people broadly talk about. Unless he's leading from the rear, it's not even a debate that Drake is the face of that class. Now, you guys can argue about who is better, I think that's different than who is the leader.

Dereck

iGv9SWBHa4FV6.gif
Right click, save as

Sales+highly sought out features is something. KDot has one album people broadly talk about. Unless he's leading from the rear, it's not even a debate that Drake is the face of that class. Now, you guys can argue about who is better, I think that's different than who is the leader.

agreed.

I'd love for someone to confront Drake on sales. Vanilla Ice sold more albums than Kool G Rap, does that make him more important to the culture?

HiResDes

agreed.

I'd love for someone to confront Drake on sales. Vanilla Ice sold more albums than Kool G Rap, does that make him more important to the culture?

Then you don't agree...LOL

Anyway, was blazing through my old library, what the fuck happened to Quest???

...Also some new Thurz would be nice!

Oh and U-N-I???

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
agreed.

oddly enough, maybe so.. VI helped to bring hip-hop mainstream. Made it more acceptable for white America, and even more accepted as a legit form of music. If you remember around that time there was music and then "oh, hip-hop"

Not to say that it wouldn't have happened without him, but he did help in that regard quite a bit..

Esch

Banned
Sales do matter.

Just depends on what angle you're looking at imo.

Fuck Drake though. Kendricks music is on a different level tbh. Dont know what Dom is talking ahout when he says k dot is only a little bit ahead of dude in lyricism. Its a pretty wide gulf tbh.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
now ive heard it all

Oh no, VI contributed to hip-hop's success.. Denying the fact that he sold godly amounts of records and helped bring hip-hop to mainstream is just being silly..

7x plat.. basically from one song. lol.

Him and Hammer are a real big part of hip-hop being a commercial success...

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Sales do matter.

Just depends on what angle you're looking at imo.

Fuck Drake though. Kendricks music is on a different level tbh. Dont know what Dom is talking ahout when he says k dot is only a little bit ahead of dude in lyricism. Its a pretty wide gulf tbh.

They're oceans apart man. Anyone ever seriously considering comparing them on that level needs to get their heads checked.

If this was Civ V K.Dot would already be in a renaissance and Drake is stuck in the dark ages.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

But, I also fear that he won't top GKMC. He had a great debut and decent guest verses here and there in other projects.

I wouldn't want him to mess up his momentum.
I thought he wasn't going to be able to top Section 80.

Then he did by a long shot.

HiiiLife

Drake isn't built for beef. Sad too. Aubs and Kendrick would've made a killer combo. But the former was acting too sensitive. Even by Drake standards.

I still stick with whoever said Drake is an R&B artist that happened to be able to rap.

That's why he's making music with his brother, Chris "Oooh Kill Em" Brown

codhand

kool g rap's lisp, pioneered the way for the mainstream acceptance of other rappers with lisps such as Lil Dap, and Rza, truly he was ahead of his time.

Esch

Banned
I still stick with whoever said Drake is an R&B artist that happened to be able to rap.

That's why he's making music with his brother, Chris "Oooh Kill Em" Brown
He was marketed as a rapper, he associates himself with rappers, hes on a label with rappers, rap is the base of his music.

He was marketed as a rapper, he associates himself with rappers, hes on a label with rappers, rap is the base of his music.

If he actually made an album where he only raps instead of crooning all over the place, then maybe he'd be two stages below Kendrick on the Rap totem pole.

HiiiLife

I consider Drake a rapper that can do R&B, not the opposite tbh. Because one, he's a studio singer. Lol. Whether he's a better rapper than Kendrick is a different story. Which he's not. But going back to his first tape, he was obviously rapping more than singing. I'm a fan of him mixing both. Only reason I listen to him in the first place.

HiiiLife

I never heard him sing live so I don't have a particular care for his actual singing talent. All I know is I listen to his albums, and well, he can be melodic and hold a note on his tracks. Lol. I'm not looking for any Marvin Gaye vocal chords when I listen to him. Just, nice music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom