• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

kendrick's music isn't so much better (IMO it isnt better at all) to negate the massive numbers advantage that drake has. it matters.

1) no, it doesn't, because sales = quality
shit's entirely subjective, but if you asked me top 10 id say names like rakim, tribe, method, redman, pete rock & CL, etc etc and none of them did big #'s but added way more to the medium so, again, fuckoutta here with sales-age
2) there's a great difference between what these two are doing but even so? drizzy can paint you 2 pictures: a) these people didn't love me when (x) and b) here's this hoe that got away but she deserves better than (y) because reasons. k-dot has wider range & technical ability, plus your opinion is objectively booty buttcheeks so QED

HiiiLife

Kendrick not topping GKMC is a big fear that I have.

He's supposedly releasing his album in 2014 or is it just heresay? If so, we'll be finding out soon..

I would love for him to stay consistent and just drop his magnum opus as his next album or maybe even his third major label album. But yeah, that'd suck if GKMC is never topped.

Beezy

well now you can buy singles, and it has been more accessible to download stuff... but harder in 2005? Come now.. Pirate Bay had been full steam ahead about that time, p2p laws have yet to be passed...

Spotify which lets you listen to albums on their release date and all these other music streaming services weren't around in 2005. It's really easy (and legal!) for anyone to listen to new albums without paying for them now.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
ninja that's not "to me" up there, that's everybody

and no because dre co-sign that ace was on (did k-dot have that? i dont think he did) plus look at that album's production, its dre, just blaze, ye, storch, timbaland, cool & dre etc.
now look at section 80...there's some names but not nearly on that level. id argue game got hooked up, not as much as say 50 did with GRODT but way closer to that. k-dot showed range on features & his sophmore album, game's done some great tracks but lacks a solid album since that gift so i can't say it's the same.

Guess being signed and released as an Aftermath artist isn't a co-signing by Dre

HiiiLife

Shit. I had burned copies of all the albums in middle school because I couldn't purchase explicit ones at the time. And when I managed to actually purchase an explicit one, it ended up being T.I.'s Urban Legend. That joint is still my favorite T.I. album. Lol.

CRS

Spotify which lets you listen to albums on their release date and all these other music streaming services weren't around in 2005.
Which has nothing to do with Ace's point.

I think Ace was trying to say that it WAS easy back in 2005 to get music for free. Is it easier now? Sure. Was it hard back then? No.

And yeah, streaming services, YouTube, etc. have affected sales. There's no question about it.

IrishNinja

Guess being signed and released as an Aftermath artist isn't a co-signing by Dre

is it necessarily though? i know dude's mad picky but you were just in here talkin bout how important an actual dre co-sign is even today, and how some stuff released under him didn't necessarily get that. if i don't see his fingerprints on the album (soundwise etc) it seems fair to assume he was selling headphones instead no?

i didn't really think he was on board with shit till Recipe personally but you keep up with that angle more, so you tell me m'man

And yeah, streaming services, YouTube, etc. have affected sales. There's no question about it.

big time
again not really following sales-age but ace's point on singles going plat being its own thing is also something i'd abide, you have artists like rihanna who pretty much style their whole shit around that as far as i understand it

He's supposedly releasing his album in 2014 or is it just heresay? If so, we'll be finding out soon..

I would love for him to stay consistent and just drop his magnum opus as his next album or maybe even his third major label album. But yeah, that'd suck if GKMC is never topped.
Kendrick said he was planning to make a GKMC short film and use music from the album in the movie.

Get Kanye to help him with ideas and direction on tour and just like that.. GKMC double plat.

Also, King is T.I.'s best album brah

DominoKid

1) no, it doesn't, because sales = quality
shit's entirely subjective, but if you asked me top 10 id say names like rakim, tribe, method, redman, pete rock & CL, etc etc and none of them did big #'s but added way more to the medium so, again, fuckoutta here with sales-age
2) there's a great difference between what these two are doing but even so? drizzy can paint you 2 pictures: a) these people didn't love me when (x) and b) here's this hoe that got away but she deserves better than (y) because reasons. k-dot has wider range & technical ability, plus your opinion is objectively booty buttcheeks so QED

never said sales equal quality. but lets not pretend like they don't both matter when determining who's running it. acting like numbers dont matter is flat out denial. there's a reason why Hov is #1.

HiiiLife

So I guess a couple more years until another Kendrick album then. More time to work on a potential "classic" I guess.

Nahhhhhh man. Motivation and ASAP are some goooooooood shit. Urban Legend is that lick. Haha.

But if I had to pick one that I'd pick as his best then I guess Paper Trail. Then he just got shitty. Lol.

IrishNinja

never said sales equal quality. but lets not pretend like they don't both matter when determining who's running it. acting like numbers dont matter is flat out denial. there's a reason why Hov is #1.

yeah, he was a technically gifted rapper with an excellent ear for beats that made tons of great tracks/guest features up till nearly a decade ago

if MGHC outsold reasonable doubt, blueprint & black album on a 10:1 level would that make it the best album, or simply the most commercially viable?
sure, #'s matter just like tons of other factors, but some of ya'll blow it up to be way more than they are. if illmatic dropped tomorrow and went wood, would it not be a classic? i'm saying, if you're bout that pop-gaf life than let's look at billboards every week and talk bout who's fave slayed who with gifs and stan wars. a minute ago you were talkin bout who made better music and ran this shit...if not, according to this we should also be talkin bout Cole and Mackelmore

Just finished listening to MNIMN really enjoyed it a lot the productions really shines and there's a couple of stand outs I really like King Push, Numbers on the boards, Hold On, Nostaglia, Pain and SNITCH.

DominoKid

yeah, he was a technically gifted rapper with an excellent ear for beats that made tons of great tracks/guest features up till nearly a decade ago

if MGHC outsold reasonable doubt, blueprint & black album on a 10:1 level would that make it the best album, or simply the most commercially viable?
sure, #'s matter just like tons of other factors, but some of ya'll blow it up to be way more than they are. if illmatic dropped tomorrow and went wood, would it not be a classic? i'm saying, if you're bout that pop-gaf life than let's look at billboards every week and talk bout who's fave slayed who with gifs and stan wars. a minute ago you were talkin bout who made better music and ran this shit...if not, according to this we should also be talkin bout Cole and Mackelmore

if ifs were fifths...

i'll put it like this. kendrick is slightly better lyrically but drake makes better music. i place a lot more stock in the latter.
cole and macklemore make mostly shitty music so they aren't even in the picture for me. somewhere along the line you got the impression that i'm talking SOLELY about numbers. and i'm not.

kendrick will be firmly planted at #2 in the new school for me until he outsells drake or makes music that i like more than drake's. it's not a bad position to be in or a slight.

VVV suicide is dope.

HiiiLife

Feel like everybody mentioning every song but Suicide off MNIMN. Lol. Feeling people think that song is wack and I need to get my ears checked. I get Clipse vibes with that Pharrell beat.

Beezy

Which has nothing to do with Ace's point.

I think Ace was trying to say that it WAS easy back in 2005 to get music for free. Is it easier now? Sure. Was it hard back then? No.

Yeah I know it wasn't hard back then, but it still isn't comparable to how quick, easy and widespread it is today. Like you said, all these things have definitely affected sales and make a big difference. So saying that GKMC didn't sell as much as The Documentary doesn't really prove anything.

Serious question: Who else in hip hop today puts up numbers like Drake? I don't follow sales so I honestly don't know.

HiiiLife

I don't mind cocky Kendrick because he's backing it up. I just don't want him to slip up skill wise and be the guy that talks shit when his albums no longer speak for it. Aka The Game. Lol.

IrishNinja

i get you dom
im just half drunk and prolly shadowboxing with drake thread herbs talmbout leaders of the new school based solely on sales-age shit i guess

i'm strictly about skills and dope lyrical coastin/relying on talent, not marketing and promotion

is like the other side of saying ad populum is a logical fallacy, read a book ninja

Blackace

Yeah I know it wasn't hard back then, but it still isn't comparable to how quick, easy and widespread it is today. Like you said, all these things have definitely affected sales and make a big difference. So saying that GKMC didn't sell as much as The Documentary doesn't really prove anything.

Serious question: Who else in hip hop today puts up numbers like Drake? I don't follow sales so I honestly don't know.

Wayne

CRS

It is comparable. I'm sure there isn't that much difference between the number of users back then and now. Pirating music through torrents and file sharing networks (Napster, Kazaa, etc) was huuuuuge since those services didn't have the spotlight on them yet. They had around the same amount of people, just different and easier methods. People had to install clients to download music, now people go to a website in their web browser.

RIAA counts iTunes sales, right? I know there was a recent article mentioning the RIAA including digital retailers in their album sales.

Also, legal ways of getting music has affected album sales since people can download just the single and forget about the album. In the past, if you wanted a certain track, you had to get the entire album unless you were a DJ and/or played vinyl records, since singles only came out on wax.

Blackace

is it necessarily though? i know dude's mad picky but you were just in here talkin bout how important an actual dre co-sign is even today, and how some stuff released under him didn't necessarily get that. if i don't see his fingerprints on the album (soundwise etc) it seems fair to assume he was selling headphones instead no?

i didn't really think he was on board with shit till Recipe personally but you keep up with that angle more, so you tell me m'man

Shit Dre is like Sid Meier.. just slapping his name on shit works, if the product is good.

The track record speaks for itself..

Blackace

It is comparable. I'm sure there isn't that much difference between the number of users back then and now. Pirating music through torrents and file sharing networks (Napster, Kazaa, etc) was huuuuuge since those services didn't have the spotlight on them yet. They had around the same amount of people, just different and easier methods. People had to install clients to download music, now people go to a website in their web browser.

RIAA counts iTunes sales, right? I know there was a recent article mentioning the RIAA including digital retailers in their album sales.

Also, legal ways of getting music has affected album sales since people can download just the single and forget about the album. In the past, if you wanted a certain track, you had to get the entire album unless you were a DJ and/or played vinyl records, since singles only came out on wax.

Also buying only the singles doesn't count to the sale of a record..

codhand

it's brings back my inner backpacker rage whenever i hear that flow

old god flow

also big sean's slightly behind the beat:

"im winnin, wheels spinnin, neva endin,"

etc flow is getting tired too

How could you not like Heel Kendrick? This turn of events is amazing. I hope he remains this aggressive and arrogant just to stir up his peers.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

But, I also fear that he won't top GKMC. He had a great debut and decent guest verses here and there in other projects.

I wouldn't want him to mess up his momentum.

LMAO at the salt from these Drake haters aka undercover real hip hop stuck in the 90s ninjas

I've seen KDot stans throw this around in here, now Drake stans. Maybe people just like different stuff, without any ties to any specific time period. Just a thought.

Anyway, K.Dot done goofed. But he's going all in, so let's see how the full cypher goes and what the response is.

JohnDoe

Banned
LMAO at the salt from these Drake haters aka undercover real hip hop stuck in the 90s ninjas

What? lol
You know there are some complaints people (including me) have about Drake's music which are valid and have nothing to do with don't all boil down to being stuck in the 90s?

Blackace

I want one thing that shows me if someone dislikes Drake you are stuck in the 90s..

Grzi

Just give credit where it's due.
I mean, I like GKMC a LOT more than NWTS, but I'll still never be so delusional not to see how much bigger Drake is than Kendrick.
You got people basically celebrating when the first results showed NWTS might do around 350k, come on brehs, really?

I mentioned people stuck in the 90s because you got members here making fun of "real hip hop dudes" when they themselves are basically the same, except they think it won't get noticed if they acknowledge that those types of people exist and troll them.

I mentioned people stuck in the 90s because you got members here making fun of "real hip hop dudes" when they themselves are basically the same, except they think it won't get noticed if they acknowledge that those types of people exist and troll them.
This is true.

Blackace

Just give credit where it's due.
I mean, I like GKMC a LOT more than NWTS, but I'll still never be so delusional not to see how much bigger Drake is than Kendrick.
You got people basically celebrating when the first results showed NWTS might do around 350k, come on brehs, really?

Wait... people who stan for Kendrick and dislike Drake are stuck in the 90s?

lol..

HiResDes

Why are you acting like sales equates to respect in the game? When R&B was talking over rap in the early 2000s, no one was claiming that Ja Rule, Bow Wow, or Nelly were the leaders of the new-school of hip-hop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom