• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTV| 2Chainz on my neck, 1Finger in my anus

Status
Not open for further replies.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif

<3

edit: but Tguy it's sunday right now yo

We good. Welcome to the thread. Stick around for atleast 5 Nas cycles.

Something something, birth of rap, something something ignorant south something something fuck tguy something something.
I was expecting a response post similar to this.
i edited it out because retroactively reading it made me think you just aimed it at pd
JgsPS.png

either way....

iFr6fIPbMtCWc.gif

lol hardly mad, but PD's post is what made me lay that bait.
edit: but Tguy it's sunday right now yo

:( forgot about that

I got love for the south and west. Fuck Dre tho

No shit??

Yup he produced most of Follow the Leader and Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em. Rakim actually produced all of Paid in Full, interestingly.

That's also how Nas first hit the radar. Large Pro would bring him to studio sessions and he'd rap in front of Rakim, who thought he was super dope.

I got love for the south and west. Fuck Dre tho

Yup he produced most of Follow the Leader and Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em. Rakim actually produced all of Paid in Full, interestingly.

That's also how Nas first hit the radar. Large Pro would bring him to studio sessions and he'd rap in front of Rakim, who thought he was super dope.

I knew the Rakim doing Paid in Full thing. But i had no idea about the Follow the Leader and Let the Rhythm hit em. Damn. Dude just shot up in my books.

T Dollarz

Gotta have Neptunes my boys!

HiRes, how about some examples of what you think is the best work from each producer? Either album or just a tune

Why Fuck Dre? I agree, but wanted to know your reasons.

I just think he's overrated as a producer, and has lived off image for 15 years if not more. Dude has tons of ghost producers and writers who do everything while he "orchestrates" it all. He has certainly produced more than someone like Diddy, but overall is largely a giant myth

So these guys make all this shit for him and is never released, so multiple people don't get paid

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I just think he's overrated as a producer, and has lived off image for 15 years if not more. Dude has tons of ghost producers and writers who do everything while he "orchestrates" it all. He has certainly produced more than someone like Diddy, but overall is largely a giant myth

So these guys make all this shit for him and is never released, so multiple people don't get paid

Agreed there. Dre is nothing more than a brand at this point. A brand made up of a lot of hard working people who get little credit.

I love how nowadays he is on verses instead of producing lol.

To be fair, Hip hop has fucked up the perception of what a producer is. The producer is meant to assemble all the components to a song.

"the person who supervises the arrangement, recording, and mixing of a record"

Look at all the dope ass music hes been associated with. He might not have composed all the beats by himself, but you cant argue that he hasnt been involved with some heat over the years. This long in the game and still making heat. The amount of classics hes been involved with surely secures his spot at the top.

To be fair, Hip hop has fucked up the perception of what a producer is. The producer is meant to assemble all the components to a song.

"the person who supervises the arrangement, recording, and mixing of a record"

Look at all the dope ass music hes been associated with. He might not have composed all the beats by himself, but you cant argue that he hasnt been involved with some heat over the years. This long in the game and still making heat. The amount of classics hes been involved with surely secures his spot at the top.

You're right about the difference between a producer and a beat maker, but I don't think Dre deserves much acclaim for taking finished tracks and simply turning them into a robotic, perfectly clean sounding product devoid of any soul or energy. That's why most of his stuff has sounded stale and empty over the last decade plus.

Plus everyone else on these lists creates their own music. Sure they have people help in some cases, but even Kanye is in the studio creating shit.

You're right about the difference between a producer and a beat maker, but I don't think Dre deserves much acclaim for taking finished tracks and simply turning them into a robotic, perfectly clean sounding product devoid of any soul or energy. That's why most of his stuff has sounded stale and empty over the last decade plus.

Plus everyone else on these lists creates their own music. Sure they have people help in some cases, but even Kanye is in the studio creating shit.

Ive never heard of him taking full tracks or anything like that. Dont know enough details about his process or what they actually do in the studio to make claims saying otherwise either. Ive liked most of the music hes put out over the last decade. Just me personally but i like that clean sound hes on at the moment. I dont think it lacks soul, its just more-so a style.

I give him credit for what he actually does. Their are people who believe he makes all the beats himself. Hes not on the level of RZA or Preemo ill give you that but you gotta admit he has something to still be around. Alot of 90s producers have fell way the fuck off or just stopped producing. Dre is still at it to some extent.

Esch

Banned
dre is just a legend. I dont even like his music much but i have to put him on there because he is simply the most famous producer in the history of hip hop whether you like it or not

ye 2nd.

Ive never heard of him taking full tracks or anything like that. Dont know enough details about his process or what they actually do in the studio to make claims saying otherwise either. Ive liked most of the music hes put out over the last decade. Just me personally but i like that clean sound hes on at the moment. I dont think it lacks soul, its just more-so a style.

I give him credit for what he actually does. Their are people who believe he makes all the beats himself. Hes not on the level of RZA or Preemo ill give you that but you gotta admit he has something to still be around. Alot of 90s producers have fell way the fuck off or just stopped producing. Dre is still at it to some extent.

That's the thing though. Dre basically buys a bunch of the very best production of an entire coast; it's impossible to completely "fall off" when you're just buying the best shit available and putting your name on it. I can't think of any other artist who so completely dominates a region through influence and hype; you don't see Jay-Z dominating everything about the east coast for instance. Sure the west coast has sounds that have nothing to do with Dre like hyphy and other Bay area stuff, but overall Dre is still seen as That Dude. If someone has his backing, all of a sudden they're The One. And when Dre stops fucking with them, they disappear for the most part. How many major west coast artists have come up since the late 80s/mid 90s movement (Dre, Snoop, Ice Cube) and are lasted more than a couple years?

He invites multiple producers, musicians, and rappers to his studio to jam basically. They create beats and rhymes, he orchestrates everything...then the music is never released.

IMO I Need a Doctor tells you everything you need to know about Dre. He has been living in a bubble for a decade, and when he ventures out he realizes the stuff he's been working on isn't hot anymore. So he grabs a track from someone else, puts his name (and Eminem's) on it, puts the hottest hook chick on it, and boom: a hit.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Dre is 47 years old. Like most people that age, what they think is hot shit, isn't. Can't be helped. Cycle of life.

Fjordson

He invites multiple producers, musicians, and rappers to his studio to jam basically. They create beats and rhymes, he orchestrates everything...then the music is never released

That shit is annoying.

Speaking of forgotten buddies of Dre, I wonder what Hittman is up to. Feel like I never heard about him after 2001.

T Dollarz

I miss the idea of having a listening party right after Breaking Bad. Why did that die down? The MBDTF deal was dope...

plug dj doesn't work for me on any of my browsers
I miss the idea of having a listening party right after Breaking Bad. Why did that die down? The MBDTF deal was dope...

it didn't die down at all....you weren't paying attention, there was one last week and one within a hour from now with Nas.

Actually, I don't know what's this week

Esch

Banned
im not having one tonight, feeling lazy as a mug and you really do have to hype it for the full week if strangers are gonna show up

basically no one really cares about showing up to the parties much, or at least doesnt try to actively promote em

T Dollarz

I think you gotta do it like you did for Yeezy, create its own thread early in the week and continue to hype it up all week. Let's get one for next week.

well that fucking sucks lol. the one sunday I have off to join in on the listening party, we ain't doing it. Oh well, plug dj doesn't seem to be working anyway, so fuck it.

Macca

On that NERD shit, I really dug that track with Santigold and Mattew Santos off their last album. Shit was nice.

Recon

Banned
Yeah, I don't know you.

dskillzhtown hew??? idontknowher.gif

That's why I asked the fucking question.

I mean, if you don't understand the fundamental difference between somebody who birthed Tupac from their womb making paper on her son's stuff, and somebody Aaliyah didn't even know (and didn't even try to get Tim or Missy on this project from the word GO), then whatever. Stay salty with that post though.

Seriously, don't try to act all hard. I may be Brand New to the thread, but I'll still read you like a Christian reads the Chick-Fil-A menu on a Wednesday.

Now SIT

That was beautiful.

IrishNinja

nobody in the gaf-hop room

08/11 – Fort Lauderdale, FL @ Revolution Live

damn...anyone down to see K.R.I.T.?

Liquid Swords 2 : Return of the Shadowboxer IS coming.

Its coming after his next album Dark Matter.

This interview is from 2 years ago. Keep the faith kids. Its coming. Someday.

“I am definitely a relatively slow writer,” he said in the interview. “I’m fastidious and a perfectionist.” - From AboveGround magazine

can one of ya'll take the GZA logo and put GAF's "BELIEVE" under it? we need to start a movement here. as a shenmue fan, this is important.

He's also greatly underused on hooks. Without heydey NERD production the Clipse would have been really mediocre.

the last sentence is 100% truth, its what made me a clipse fan too

Yeah. Drake is the producer for this posthumous album. Aailyah, Missy and Timbaland record label is on board but not Timbaland and Missy they weren't notified.

Timb and missy should definitely because of how close they were, but it's 2012 and I wouldn't miss em if they weren't on it.

what the...how the fuck you gonna do an Aaliyah tribute without them? i would definitely miss them cause a) missy's back in the studio apparently and b) it's weird as fuck without them, like i woudlnt've wanted No Limit doing a posthumous ODB album.

1) RZA
Preemo
Dre
Just Blaze
Havoc
Pete Rock
Kanye
Dame Grease
Eric B

Besided RZA and Preemo, no order.

damn, you're an old-school head through and through, haha. that said, no orders cause FUCK NUMBERS:

Seba/Nujabes
RZA
Preemo
Dilla
Large Professor
Just Blaze
Madlib
No I.D.
Pete Rock
Ye

nods to:
Quik
The Ummah
Prince Paul
Kno
Eric B
Dre
9th Wonder (i love him but not consistent enough for top 10)

Seriously, don't try to act all hard. I may be Brand New to the thread, but I'll still read you like a Christian reads the Chick-Fil-A menu on a Wednesday.

Now SIT

best invasion? best invasion

spiritual state is also still the PGOAT

ibbQ2uByACJ5vC.gif

Something something, birth of rap, something something ignorant south something something fuck tguy something something.

something let em know something something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom