• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTV| 2Chainz on my neck, 1Finger in my anus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Do you guys listen to any British hip-hop like The Streets or Dizzee Rascal?
Not really actually.

Despite being born and raised in London, I've always been way more into American hip-hop.

Unless we can count DOOM and Slick Rick as British hip-hop :lol

Satch

Banned
Both are worthless.

iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif

Satch

Banned
i hate to take attention away from the perpetually-pressed-and-bothered Recon (
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif
), but i'm listening to this Danny Brown dude right now and...

he's strange and i'm not even completely sure if i should be taking him seriously, but it's making him interesting for me so far.

Esch

Banned
i hate to take attention away from the perpetually-pressed-and-bothered Recon (
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif
), but i'm listening to this Danny Brown dude right now and...

he's strange and i'm not even completely sure if i should be taking him seriously, but it's making him interesting for me so far.

soon you will come to know..

20110809-DANNYBROWN.jpg

Satch

Banned
i'm going through XXX right now, and i'm actually kinda loving it so far

i've only made it through seven tracks out of the 22. hopefully it keeps up the pace.

You know there were days when i called XXX very superior over Hybrid, but nowadays Hybrid has grown on me so much, it all depends on my mood on which I prefer.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Can't. stop. bumping. that Ethelwulf.

Gatdamn that's my type of shit.

You know there were days when i called XXX very superior over Hybrid, but nowadays Hybrid has grown on me so much, it all depends on my mood on which I prefer.

The Hybrid really is such a strong fucking album though.

XXX was my #1.5 from 2011 (tied with Bronson's Well Done), but I still find it hard to choose it over The Hybrid (which was my #1 for 2010 btw).

Satch

Banned
ok, i just finished listening to XXX and wow

it was smooth the whole way through. i don't think i hated a track on it.

my ONLY complaint (and this is such a super small thing) is that it's too long. 22 tracks is a lot of music for one album for me, so i was encountering some listening fatigue towards the end.

in PopGAF (hey Recon boo
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif
) the albums we get are usually a bit shorter. i don't know how long hip-hop albums typically are, so this is probably either an unusual case, or i just need to build up some stamina.

anyway, two thumbs up!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Got any Canadian artists/tracks I should know? Interested to compare them with British ones if this is true.
Shad, Classified, K-OS are the big, most popular names, on top of Weeknd and Drake.

Then you have people like Belly and such far below.

my ONLY complaint (and this is such a super small thing) is that it's too long. 22 tracks is a lot of music for one album for me, so i was encountering some listening fatigue towards the end.

in PopGAF (hey Recon boo
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif
) the albums we get are usually a bit shorter. i don't know how long hip-hop albums typically are, so this is probably either an unusual case, or i just need to build up some stamina.

anyway, two thumbs up!
Hip-Hop albums vary a ton. Usually anywhere from 10-20 is normal.

I personally find closer to the lower end of the spectrum is better and makes for far more consistent albums. A lot of rappers try to shove 20 tracks at you and it only emphasizes the mediocrity more than the high points.

in PopGAF (hey Recon boo
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif

anyway, two thumbs up!
I'd say the average is about 16 songs. I don't like rap albums with a lot of songs either, but that is why XXX gets more love from me.

XXX is the perfect length IMO (normal version). 45-55 minutes is the sweet spot. Anything longer than that, it better be an absolute classic.

Tokubetsu

Shad, Classified, K-OS are the big, most popular names, on top of Weeknd and Drake.

Then you have people like Belly and such far below.

Hip-Hop albums vary a ton. Usually anywhere from 10-20 is normal.

I personally find closer to the lower end of the spectrum is better and makes for far more consistent albums. A lot of rappers try to shove 20 tracks at you and it only emphasizes the mediocrity more than the high points.

I think a lot of the bigger albums died a bit with the 90s. Doesn't feel as common but then again, 20+ track mixtapes have kinda become the norm.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Saukrates is pretty decent too. I think Danny! is from Canada too. Oh and JD Era
Yeah Saukrates is pretty dope. Didn't know he still made music though.

I don't think I've heard anything from dude in nearly a decade.

EDIT: From his wiki now it says he was on I Wish I Knew Natalie Portman, makes sense, I thought it sounded like dude. I absolutely love that song.

IrishNinja

damn, that drizzy thread got locked too quick. i need more kentpualisms in my life.

TODAY IN GAF-HOP: THE GOOD POSTS

@ Prince Paul mix:

Don't see why not...

Found this work of art in a little shop here in Saigon. Had to buy that motherfucker right up and take it home. Still needs a frame but I had to hang it up first to see it's pimpness in my apartment.

try this shit again

ifXPYF6fDsltT.jpg

...Irish hasn't gone anywhere tho.

MIKE JONES

I think Canada > Britain

^after Shad, i think shinobis was the one showing me how much that scene is/was blowing up with the kinda sound i like too, need to find a good spotify playlist or something

AND THE DUMB SHIT

LOL DJ Premier, kill yourselves please, cot damn

Nas lost

That is all

Honestly, does anyone really want a new Wu album? I would be more happy with more individual albums from certain members with features from other wu members.

Ghostdini>Wu-Tang Forever.

Fuck Pop gaf and fuck mumei. That is all.

tune in tomorrow!

Recon

Banned
damn, that drizzy thread got locked too quick. i need more kentpualisms in my life.

TODAY IN GAF-HOP: THE GOOD POSTS

@ Prince Paul mix:

^after Shad, i think shinobis was the one showing me how much that scene is/was blowing up with the kinda sound i like too, need to find a good spotify playlist or something

AND THE DUMB SHIT

tune in tomorrow!

Oh look, Irishninja being a dumbass again. Shocking!

Satch

Banned
you know, they say that Lake Don Juan is the saltiest body of water on Earth, but i think that honor actually goes to Recon

XXX is one of my favorite hip hop albums. And not just from last year...

But I agree with the 45~ min sweetspot and know that a lot of hip hop albums could have benefited from some cut tracks.

IrishNinja

Oh look, Irishninja being a dumbass again. Shocking!

i shall elaborate

point the first: perhaps i simply desire a wu album so greatly, the thought of another not sharing this inclination left me bereft; lacking a proper outlet for this melancholy, i targeted mine brother: which is to say, myself. i apologize to us both.

point the second: ghostdini was straight booty, that track where he shot fabulous in the ass was aight tho

point the third:
while i wasn't always blessed by our pop-gaf brethren either, they're good people - so while i'll go out with you to the sea, i just don't know about all this salt.

may this post find you in good health~

Recon

Banned
i shall elaborate

point the first: perhaps i simply desire a wu album so greatly, the thought of another not sharing this inclination left me bereft; lacking a proper outlet for this melancholy, i targeted mine brother: which is to say, myself. i apologize to us both.

point the second: ghostdini was straight booty, that track where he shot fabulous in the ass was aight tho

point the third:
while i wasn't always blessed by our pop-gaf brethren either, they're good people - so while i'll go out with you to the sea, i just don't know about all this salt.

may this post find you in good health~

1.Last two wu albums sucked. So applying the Lupe principle, we shall not desire another one no matter how good the first couple were.

2. That was pure sarcasm/joke/troll. Although, I liked Ghostdini well enough.

3. I find 1 or 2 people from Pop gaf ok, like a our friend satch. I think the rest of that thread is a plague to all mankind. Similar to Pony-Gaf. Also, Mumei has twisted my words and called me homophobic because of the PD comment. Not in as many words, but he heavily implied in during several PM's that were had between us even though I explained my joke, and though in bad taste, it was simply a joke. So, fuck him and his precious thread.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
i like the Neptunes production but i just cannot make myself like Robin Thicke on anything

he's like a semi-kinda-wannabe Justin Timberlake

yes, i'm still bitter about Justin leaving the music game to do acting
Allegedly he's working on a new album.

...or we can only hope.

DominoKid

listening to 808s randomly right now, in time this will be Kanye's most loved album because its sorta timeless compared to the rest of discography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom