• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTV| 2Chainz on my neck, 1Finger in my anus

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiiiLife

What is everyone's top 3 albums of the year so far? Doesn't need to be in order.

1. Napalm [Xzibit]
2. Life is good [NaS]
3. Undisputed [DMX]

Good Kid Maad City
Live From The Underground
Stoned Immaculate

In that order lol.

Killer Mike isn't for everyone, I honestly wasn't a big fan until RAP Music. So if it ain't your thing, it ain't your thing.

Part of the reason why I wanted to give it a spin was because of Gaf-Hop. But I just wasn't feeling it tbh. I do agree with your statement about him not being for everyone.

Also hoping that Kendrick x Cole mixtape dropping soon. Like before 2013. Haha.

Ok gaf hop, i finally got around to hearing the new kendrick lamar album and DAMN! Im seriously like geeking over this shit. Its SO good. I dont like some of the beats, but kendrick is naslike in the sense i will still like his song even tho i dont like it musically cause of how dope he is spittin.

That m.a.a.d. City track is so damn dope. This might be my album of the year.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Artwork for Game's next album, Jesus Piece:

jesuspiece-450x450.jpg

iEzPiNNwx99pA.gif
iEzPiNNwx99pA.gif
iEzPiNNwx99pA.gif

I unno what you people are talking about, that cover is great. One look at it and it stirs up emotions and thoughts I never knew I was capable of. Game's a genius, and this album will change the landscape of religion and hip-hop. In that order.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
1. RAP music
2. Live from the underground
3. mAAD city
4. Freebasin with kevin bacon
5. Skelethon
6. Sex drugs and video games
7. Habits and contradictions
8. Napalm
9. Breakfast
10. west1996

HiResDes

I unno what you people are talking about, that cover is great. One look at it and it stirs up emotions and thoughts I never knew I was capable of. Game's a genius, and this album will change the landscape of religion and hip-hop. In that order.

BASEDGOD already did that fam

So I'm listening to We Don't Even Live Here and was enjoying it immensely at first, but then it completely shat all over itself in the latter half. What. The. Fuck.

Gonna try and cleanse my ears off with this Skeme album.

Edit: Skeme ain't really helping either..

So had to take a pretty long drive today. Good news was i finally got a chance to listen to Kendricks and RZAs albums.

Kendricks is great. Didnt expect it to be that good. Only bad thing about it was the Poetic Justice track. That was awful. Heard people complaining about the beats? Fuck outta here, get off the bus and buy yourself a car you bitches. The whole album bumps.

And that beat change on Mad city?? Oh Gawd. I though a tank dropped out the sky on the roof of my car. Shit came outta no where. Legit made me do the Oh shit!? face.

Really well put together album. Kendrick deserves success off this.

Oh and Eight bodied his verse. Was happy to hear that.

Iron Fists has more tracks i can cut out and throw into playlists where Good Kid is an album you gotta take altogether. Dont understand the hype over White Dress. I mean its good but some of yall were saying yeezy found a time machine and went back 6-7 years. It aint that good.

Rivers of Blood, well shit. Finally got to hear this in the car. Fuck that track bangs. Kool G still as sharp as ever on the Mic. Loved the Idle Warship track too.

Between these two its a toss up for AOTY no doubt. Gonna take a few more listens to pick.

What a fucking year for Hip Hop.

cdyhybrid

So had to take a pretty long drive today. Good news was i finally got a chance to listen to Kendricks and RZAs albums.

Kendricks is great. Didnt expect it to be that good. Only bad thing about it was the Poetic Justice track. That was awful. Heard people complaining about the beats? Fuck outta here, get off the bus and buy yourself a car you bitches. The whole album bumps.

And that beat change on Mad city?? Oh Gawd. I though a tank dropped out the sky on the roof of my car. Shit came outta no where. Legit made me do the Oh shit!? face.

Really well put together album. Kendrick deserves success off this.

Oh and Eight bodied his verse. Was happy to hear that.

Iron Fists has more tracks i can cut out and throw into playlists where Good Kid is an album you gotta take altogether. Dont understand the hype over White Dress. I mean its good but some of yall were saying yeezy found a time machine and went back 6-7 years. It aint that good.

Rivers of Blood, well shit. Finally got to hear this in the car. Fuck that track bangs. Kool G still as sharp as ever on the Mic. Loved the Idle Warship track too.

Between these two its a toss up for AOTY no doubt. Gonna take a few more listens to pick.

What a fucking year for Hip Hop.

E-40 and Too $hort joint drops Nov 6th too. Crazy 2-3 weeks.

DominoKid

^^^^thats from his old cartoon. the show was pretty good. some of the music is too, but its kids stuff.

confession: i kinda wanted gkmc to suck just so i could troll :p. i really resent the idea that hip hop has (or needs) a savior. so it irks me when rappers get crowned (cole, krit, etc), even if i do like them. for this reason some of the stuff he says on The Heart Pt 3 is corny as fuck to me.

i was gonna give it the full blown review treatment (you guys would like my reviews) but im lazy and i have papers to write so i'll drop my main point at least...

- it reminds me of my childhood
a lot of rappers try to make you relate to their story. kendrick makes you relate to everybody's story. the gangbanger, the prostitute, etc. you want to know what this album really reminds me of? all of those bored hours i spend on facebook looking up the kids i grew up with to see what their doing, or reconnect with, or if they're even still alive anymore. its the portrait of a generation lost.

i still dont really like backseat freestyle though, but i can tolerate it in context.
poetic justice cracks me up. i really like it but i think im gonna hate it in a few weeks. college girls are gonna eat that shit UP.

Yeah I love that new Skeme album. Top 10 is gonna be really hard because all these fucking albums keep dropping. There's so much more to look forward to as well like Big Boi, Ghostface, Pac Div etc.

Depending on my criteria for AOTY (best cohesive album vs. most quality tracks) GKMC is either 1 or 3/4. Atm Vodka & Ayahuasca, Black Belt Theatre, R.A.P. Music and OhNoMite are the other records in my Top 5 but since both Ghost and Guilty Simpson (with Apollo Brown) are releasing albums this year as well it still might change.

If I rated albums by cohesiveness and the overall experience then yeah GKMC would be my number 1. But I don't. It's easily in my top 10 though, possibly top 5 when december 31st hits.

PBY

Banned
If I rated albums by cohesiveness and the overall experience then yeah GKMC would be my number 1. But I don't. It's easily in my top 10 though, possibly top 5 when december 31st hits.

Damn. You articulated what I've been feeling since I first listened to the album.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Yea, co-sign hating the hip hop savior bullshit. I really like The Heart Pt3, but I'm glad it's not on the album. His entire, "will you let hip hop die" rhetoric would easily detract from it, for me.

It's kinda nice that I can't really side-eye anybody to hard for being a little hyperbolic* in their praises of it. Solid album, minus a few songs (even if they are apart of the narrative).

*definitely can't agree with it being the most important anything tho...

Detox

While I would agree with saviour sentiments part of me thinks a new artist has just been given the backing to do what he wants and has produced an amazing product if this doesn't sell then the A&R's are going to justify butchering creative works.

DominoKid

While I would agree with saviour sentiments part of me thinks a new artist has just been given the backing to do what he wants and has produced an amazing product if this doesn't sell then the A&R's are going to justify butchering creative works.

i used to think the rap game was that reactionary. not so much anymore.

Trey

RAP Music is the early favorite it seems. I'm honestly surprised C4C isn't making any lists. It's definitely in my top ten, mostly because the majority of albums I heard this year I didn't like.

Iron Fists has a good chance making top 5.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yep.

It doesn't have great replay value either, compared to a lot of other albums that have come out this year. I still think it's super high though, probably top 3 for me.

Good shit having Pictures On My Wall on the album, definitely the best record he's ever done.

Thought I was crazy after seeing all the superlative comments in the OT, but I agree with the last couple posts about GKMC, it's good, but I skip more songs than I'd like too and the second half is disappointing after the strong first half. LIG, Control System and Skelethon are still my favorites of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom