• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTV| 2Chainz on my neck, 1Finger in my anus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Plies is amazing tho

izKG4jIqZralt.gif

So I'm at Big Ghost's blog and I'm reading the Life Is Good review...

Big Ghost said:
7. World's An Addiction ft. Anthony Hamilton - Personally yo...the god woulda pushed this shit more to the end of the album to like track 12 maybe...cuz the shit is type depressin b. I aint sayin I dont like the joint. But forreal son it kinda fucks up the good mood of this shit so far. Like you at a pool party n Lupe Fiasco jus walked in on some "Yo...hol up...yall females dont gotta be disrespectin yallselves like THIS..." type shit. But I fucks widdit. Son definitely kinda lookin at the glass half empty on this joint...but its cool.
...and I died. Holy fuck :lol

edit: Charles Hamilton scares the fuck out of me real talk

Esch

Banned
i know you're stanning, but Big Ghost is actually pretty big on Ross. He has spoken favorably on dude before in the past quite often. GFiD is just a really remarkably mediocre piece of music. Paint dry boring and transparent except for like 4-5 tracks.

Grzi

i know you're stanning, but Big Ghost is actually pretty big on Ross. He has spoken favorably on dude before in the past quite often. GFiD is just a really remarkably mediocre piece of music. Paint dry boring and transparent except for like 4-5 tracks.

I don't think it's amazing either, definitely above average though, better than a lot of stuff that came out this year.
I just feel people have the need to like Nas because he's, well, Nas, out of some backpacker's duty or whatever you know. Nas is hip hop, and at a time when hip hop is at a very high level, higher than it has been for a long time, when you've got up and coming artist (who are kids basically) making some dope shit, what does it mean if Nas puts out a really boring album, with mediocre production and uninspired raps for the most part? Does it mean that the legend is dead?

"NO! We must praise the album, hip hop can't survive without Nas!"
That's what every positive review about the Nas album sounds like to me.

Esch

Banned
For a rapper at his stage of the game Nas sounds amazing, and is spitting on tracks with more energy than dudes less than half his age. But thats just me. I'm not even a Nas stan, i acknowledge that he can be wooden at times... But he's doing pretty good now. If i was a stan i'd be pretty happy, especially since Jay sucks big veiny cock right now (see: PhoenixDark). I agree that LiG is not a cohesive project in the way of his classic work, but there are tons of songs on there that are dope and he snaps on enough tracks. i aint even disappointed

IrishNinja

but the last 2 or 3 albums aint really caught praise around here though, that oughta tell you soemthin

that GFID review was amazing though, i think ima stick with "sci-fi stuntin" for a minute cause im kinda tired of that shit. its ironic too cause that was Ghosts' shit for a while there, describing exotic shit i had to look up and shit, but at least he made it interesting for me.

"Encore" came on when i was training today and shit helped, so i gotta ask: if Jay had stayed retired after Black Album (let's say he did features here & there but no albums) ya'll think that wouldve cemented him as top 5/higher up on a lotta lists?

Trey

I don't think it's amazing either, definitely above average though, better than a lot of stuff that came out this year.
I just feel people have the need to like Nas because he's, well, Nas, out of some backpacker's duty or whatever you know. Nas is hip hop, and at a time when hip hop is at a very high level, higher than it has been for a long time, when you've got up and coming artist (who are kids basically) making some dope shit, what does it mean if Nas puts out a really boring album, with mediocre production and uninspired raps for the most part? Does it mean that the legend is dead?

Nas put out a good album. It actually had a spine unlike most of the major releases this year. Outside of a few lines and verses where Ross somehow slips out of mediocrity, he's just playing a front. Most heads don't care to a point (the beats are the main attraction, anyways), which is the main theme Big Ghost conveyed in the review. Ghost even said something along the lines of "Ross is just spitting his same old shit/isn't really saying shit on the track but I fucks with it" a few times throughout the piece, and even went so far as to compare Ross' output and quality as an MC to Nas' using TBD as context.

Bishman

I was going to post this in the pop thread, but with the grimey ass rap beats in the background I think this little R&B gem from last year is better suited here. She doesn't have a very good range, but somehow this still turned out pretty fire.

Stay dropping that heat bro! :)

I'll be keeping an eye on her.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Her eyebrows are upsetting me.
And judging by the "just got it in the butt" look on her face, they are upsetting her too.

siddx

They are seriously tripping me the fuck out. Looking like two bolded comas with the font turned up to 72.

DominoKid

LiG is a 5/10 album if i've ever heard it.
It aint terrible but it aint good either.

To put it in perspective I'll drop some numbers on other shit that came out this summer.
GFID: 7/10
Kiss The Ring: 6/10
BoaTS: 9/10
HITstory: 7/10
Cigarette Boats: 10/10 (HNNNNGH so good)
Stoned Immaculate: 9/10
Live From the Underground: 5/10 (veeeeeeeery disappointed in this)
I'm Up: 8/10

I probably have a much different method of rating things than you all do though.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Or hear me out here this is the best album Nas has dropped in a while and I appreciate him putting the effort in when he could of half assed cause he is Nas and at this point he could of dropped a snoop lion album and idiots would still give him props.

But hey thats my opinion broheim.

siddx

BOATS - 8/10 but will probably drop as titty chainz is like cocaine, great at first but wears off quick
GFID - 5/10 thoroughly underwhelming and Ricky is getting tiresome saying the same fucking thing in every verse in every song on every album. I feel like I've been listening to the same song remixed over and over and over.
LIG - 7/10 I really liked it at first but it hasn't had much legs. Score might drop more
C4C - 6/10 Don't like El-p the rapper, do like El-p the producer
RAP music - 10/10 the more I listen the more I realize this is the best album released this year, perfect from start to finish.
Freebasing with Kevin Bacon 9/10 Best mixtape this year, only a few mediocre tracks and endless amounts of bangers. Everyone fingering their brown eyes over titty chainz and ross's ignorant stuff should have this damn album on constant repeat.
Kiss the ring - 6/10 Can't imagine it having much legs but a few of the tracks will get on the "megamix" playlist.
HITstory - 2/10 Busta Ass Niggas is the only thing worth a damn, chuck everything else
Skelethon - 9/10 Second best album I've heard this year
Bottoms up - 8/10 Great production, Obie comes correct throughout, eminem gives his best guest appearance in years, and it has a verse from MC Breed.
Live from the underground - 9/10 Third best album, haters sucks a herp dick
Sex Drugs and Video Games - 8/10 The god preaching is a turn off but can't deny the production.
Block Brochure - 8/10 Never thought I'd say this but this needed to be a double album not a quad release
Breakfast - 8/10 Filled most of my pop rap itch
Habits and Contradictions - 7/10 So many highs (hands on the wheel, druggies with hoes, there he go, nightmare on figg st, gansta in designer) but a lot of boring shit too. Better than ab nobody cares-soul.

Why am I so wise

Esch

Banned
"Encore" came on when i was training today and shit helped, so i gotta ask: if Jay had stayed retired after Black Album (let's say he did features here & there but no albums) ya'll think that wouldve cemented him as top 5/higher up on a lotta lists?

Jay is easily top 5 material, people just dont like admitting it. 3 classic albums with a few good efforts, commercial relevance for 2 decades in terms of output, some of the best rap singles ever made, an game-changer in collaborations with musicians outside of rap, and arguably the most versatile emcee of all time.

In time, people will come to know that he was really that dude, maybe the most dominant rap artist of all time.

Esch

Banned
He's already on most top five lists, no need for time to cement anything. So no...

Yeah, from like MTV. The underground and heads dont give the same love. I was one of like 2 people in here with Jay in their top 10 when we listed it earlier, and i see similar rankings and sentiments on other sites.

HiResDes

When I'm honest with myself I listen to Ready to Die more than any Tupac or Jay-Z album, although when I was younger I would have ranked Pac higher. In fact out of the three I probably have listened to Pac the least. : (

In other news Kiss the Ring is good guys, but most of this shit is going to get annoying really quick. I can already tell it won't have any staying power. Ace Hood's last mixtape is probably better.

T Dollarz

I wonder, now that we're more than halfway through the year, if we did like a midway album/mixtapes of the year roundup from everyone (like a top 10) for the purpose of everyone getting a feel for what are the consensus best releases this year and if there's anything we haven't heard then we can clue ourselves in.

T Dollarz

When I'm honest with myself I listen to Ready to Die more than any Tupac or Jay-Z album, although when I was younger I would have ranked Pac higher. In fact out of the three I probably have listened to Pac the least. : (

In other news Kiss the Ring is good guys, but most of this shit is going to get annoying really quick. I can already tell it won't have any staying power. Ace Hood's last mixtape is probably better.

Ready to Die = Reasonable Doubt = The Blueprint > All Eyez on Me >>> anything else they've done. Other good to great albums, but these are the classics imo. Me Against the World and The Black Album are borderline.

PBY

Banned
The album this year that I've listened to the most, and I still go back to if regularly is Habits and Contradictions. And it's not even close.

Esch

Banned
kiss the ring is aight. I'm not gonna lie a lot of this sounds like the pop rap formula of 2006 to 9 but at least its catchy. better than 2 chainz maybe and it whips gfid

T Dollarz

I think I forgot to post in here that I finally listened to 2 Chainz. I came to the conclusion that he can't carry an album. Listening to him rap song after song just got so tiring. The production was straight, but yeah I just wasn't down with the rapping. Second half sounded better than the first to me. I'd give it a 6/10 or so.

And I think that 6 is pretty generous.

DominoKid

Yeah, from like MTV. The underground and heads dont give the same love. I was one of like 2 people in here with Jay in their top 10 when we listed it earlier, and i see similar rankings and sentiments on other sites.

The heads don't write hiphop history.
White people do. I dont mean this so literally as that. What underground fans think/feel doesnt matter because they are an extreme minority. If it did the DOOM would be the GOAT. Or some other rapper nobody really listens to would be.
Thats one of the reasons Eminem is so lauded.
Hov is top 5 easily and maybe the GOAT.

Btw that JJDOOM album is tight while im mentioning him.

Tokubetsu

BOATS - 8/10 but will probably drop as titty chainz is like cocaine, great at first but wears off quick
GFID - 5/10 thoroughly underwhelming and Ricky is getting tiresome saying the same fucking thing in every verse in every song on every album. I feel like I've been listening to the same song remixed over and over and over.
LIG - 7/10 I really liked it at first but it hasn't had much legs. Score might drop more
C4C - 6/10 Don't like El-p the rapper, do like El-p the producer
RAP music - 10/10 the more I listen the more I realize this is the best album released this year, perfect from start to finish.
Freebasing with Kevin Bacon 9/10 Best mixtape this year, only a few mediocre tracks and endless amounts of bangers. Everyone fingering their brown eyes over titty chainz and ross's ignorant stuff should have this damn album on constant repeat.
Kiss the ring - 6/10 Can't imagine it having much legs but a few of the tracks will get on the "megamix" playlist.
HITstory - 2/10 Busta Ass Niggas is the only thing worth a damn, chuck everything else
Skelethon - 9/10 Second best album I've heard this year
Bottoms up - 8/10 Great production, Obie comes correct throughout, eminem gives his best guest appearance in years, and it has a verse from MC Breed.
Live from the underground - 9/10 Third best album, haters sucks a herp dick
Sex Drugs and Video Games - 8/10 The god preaching is a turn off but can't deny the production.
Block Brochure - 8/10 Never thought I'd say this but this needed to be a double album not a quad release
Breakfast - 8/10 Filled most of my pop rap itch
Habits and Contradictions - 7/10 So many highs (hands on the wheel, druggies with hoes, there he go, nightmare on figg st, gansta in designer) but a lot of boring shit too. Better than ab nobody cares-soul.

Why am I so wise

I feel bad because everyone and their mother is in love with R.A.P. Music but I'm just not that into it and I love Killer Mike.

DominoKid

I feel bad because everyone and their mother is in love with R.A.P. Music but I'm just not that into it and I love Killer Mike.

I would also give RAP Music a 9/10, but it's not something I can listen to all the time.

listened once, probably won't listen again. couple good songs but DOOM is out of his element. Danny Brown would turn those beats into a solid album

you just aint tuned to DOOMspeak. Danny Brown might be more immediately entertaining, but not nearly as gratifying.
let that shit take in. it'll take a few listens. DOOM is one of the few rappers that legitimately requires you to spend time w/ the music to like it.
if you only listen once, thats just like not listening at all.

Tokubetsu

I would also give RAP Music a 9/10, but it's not something I can listen to all the time.

So why give it a 9/10? If you really felt that strongly about it, regardless of content, you should be able to get into it anytime. Music can be fun and challenging at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom