• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTV| 2Chainz on my neck, 1Finger in my anus

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

So why give it a 9/10? If you really felt that strongly about it, regardless of content, you should be able to get into it anytime. Music can be fun and challenging at the same time.

I think of some albums as mood albums. I have to be in (or trying to bring myself into) a certain mode to listen to it.
My main mode is trap/go hard. I can wake up to it, drive around to it, party to it, go to sleep to it, study to it, etc.

RAP Music i just kinda have to be chilling around and want a change of pace to listen to it.
Spin it once and I'm good. I'll come back to it later.

Lil B is a mood artist to me. I'll never put his shit in my mixes or playlists, but theres times that I just want to hear some Based God for like an hour or two. Although that happens pretty often.

PBY

Banned
Holy shit. Just listening to the Slaughterhouse tape now. Aside from the fact that I'm finding it kinda boring... is it just me or does it sound TERRIBLE? Muddy, levels all over the place, wow. I'm scared to play this loud, and thats not a good thing. Also, I'm the furthest thing from an audiophile.

I dled from Datpiff, is there a better version out there?

edit: Just hit track 9 tho. that one's pretty nice.

Also, this is great,
tWyq5.jpg

you just aint tuned to DOOMspeak. Danny Brown might be more immediately entertaining, but not nearly as gratifying.
let that shit take in. it'll take a few listens. DOOM is one of the few rappers that legitimately requires you to spend time w/ the music to like it.
if you only listen once, thats just like not listening at all.

I was listening to DOOM when you were stanning Lil Bow Wow in 2002. Fall back

Jay is easily top 5 material, people just dont like admitting it. 3 classic albums with a few good efforts, commercial relevance for 2 decades in terms of output, some of the best rap singles ever made, an game-changer in collaborations with musicians outside of rap, and arguably the most versatile emcee of all time.

In time, people will come to know that he was really that dude, maybe the most dominant rap artist of all time.

Esch, This the truest shit ive ever heard. Jay is on top of hip hop. People just dont like this fact and hate on him.

Theres not 1 jigga album that i dont like. Kingdom Come was fly, get off me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Holy shit. Just listening to the Slaughterhouse tape now. Aside from the fact that I'm finding it kinda boring... is it just me or does it sound TERRIBLE? Muddy, levels all over the place, wow. I'm scared to play this loud, and thats not a good thing. Also, I'm the furthest thing from an audiophile.

I dled from Datpiff, is there a better version out there?

edit: Just hit track 9 tho. that one's pretty nice.
Not a good look, was kind of looking forward to it :/

PBY

Banned
Word to Jimmy if peterboy finds slaughterhouse boring then...
Nah I like slaughterhouse. This tape was clearly just rushed, and full of throwaway tracks. I actually reall like their first album. But the mixing/sound... How does this happen on a major label.

Nah I like slaughterhouse. This tape was clearly just rushed, and full of throwaway tracks. I actually reall like their first album. But the mixing/sound... How does this happen on a major label.

I thought the same. Even mixtapes take time and need to be good quality. Looking forward to the album though.

OG Kush

I think of some albums as mood albums. I have to be in (or trying to bring myself into) a certain mode to listen to it.
My main mode is trap/go hard. I can wake up to it, drive around to it, party to it, go to sleep to it, study to it, etc.

RAP Music i just kinda have to be chilling around and want a change of pace to listen to it.
Spin it once and I'm good. I'll come back to it later.

Lil B is a mood artist to me. I'll never put his shit in my mixes or playlists, but theres times that I just want to hear some Based God for like an hour or two. Although that happens pretty often.

do u even dream about trapping? "BITCH ALL I DO IS TRAP!"

Trey

I just took a look at that "alt Hip Hop" thread and I must not quite understand what alt Hip Hop is. I can buy C4C and Kid Cudi to some extent, sure, but Blu and the Roots? Nah, I can't see those being considered alternative.

What's the distinction, if there truly is one?

Macca

I just took a look at that "alt Hip Hop" thread and I must not quite understand what alt Hip Hop is. I can buy C4C and Kid Cudi to some extent, sure, but Blu and the Roots? Nah, I can't see those being considered alternative.

Anything Coldvein likes.

I think it means anything that general hip hop heads arent into much. Like people who aren't into Nas, Wu tang, etc. Anyone i know who says they like alternative Hip hop (Very few) Like rappers that arent strictly hiphop, as in they incorporate other genres etc.

Its kinda like the dance music scene, there's tonnes of sub genres but really there's very little difference.

What does GAF-Hop think of Blaq Poet??

Tokubetsu

There's an alt hip hop thread?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

IMO Hip-Hop that has much stronger influences from other, unconventional genres you see influential in Hip-Hop.

Most of the stuff in that thread isn't alt hip-hop (including Gambino), IMO, and the stereotypical distinction of hip-hop as only gangsta rapper shit is misleading and a bad way to segregate the two (if you must, I think its still pretty silly to make cut/dry distinctions in such a diverse genre).

CRS

I don't think alternative hip-hop even exists anymore, that's if it even did. Hip-hop today is so vast that there's no room left to call something alternative hip-hop. There's plenty of sub-genres that it can fall under one of those categories.

Looking at the alt hip-hop thread, and I don't see anything that I would consider alternative.

njean777

When I'm honest with myself I listen to Ready to Die more than any Tupac or Jay-Z album, although when I was younger I would have ranked Pac higher. In fact out of the three I probably have listened to Pac the least. : (

In other news Kiss the Ring is good guys, but most of this shit is going to get annoying really quick. I can already tell it won't have any staying power. Ace Hood's last mixtape is probably better.

Same with me Biggie and Nas are the two I return to most, along with Kendrick, Ab-soul, and School Boy Q. Those 5 are my main go to artists to listen to. I like 2 pac but I have to be in the mood to listen to him unlike all the artists mentioned above.

BOATS - 8/10 but will probably drop as titty chainz is like cocaine, great at first but wears off quick
GFID - 5/10 thoroughly underwhelming and Ricky is getting tiresome saying the same fucking thing in every verse in every song on every album. I feel like I've been listening to the same song remixed over and over and over.
LIG - 7/10 I really liked it at first but it hasn't had much legs. Score might drop more
C4C - 6/10 Don't like El-p the rapper, do like El-p the producer
RAP music - 10/10 the more I listen the more I realize this is the best album released this year, perfect from start to finish.
Freebasing with Kevin Bacon 9/10 Best mixtape this year, only a few mediocre tracks and endless amounts of bangers. Everyone fingering their brown eyes over titty chainz and ross's ignorant stuff should have this damn album on constant repeat.
Kiss the ring - 6/10 Can't imagine it having much legs but a few of the tracks will get on the "megamix" playlist.
HITstory - 2/10 Busta Ass Niggas is the only thing worth a damn, chuck everything else
Skelethon - 9/10 Second best album I've heard this year
Bottoms up - 8/10 Great production, Obie comes correct throughout, eminem gives his best guest appearance in years, and it has a verse from MC Breed.
Live from the underground - 9/10 Third best album, haters sucks a herp dick
Sex Drugs and Video Games - 8/10 The god preaching is a turn off but can't deny the production.
Block Brochure - 8/10 Never thought I'd say this but this needed to be a double album not a quad release
Breakfast - 8/10 Filled most of my pop rap itch
Habits and Contradictions - 7/10 So many highs (hands on the wheel, druggies with hoes, there he go, nightmare on figg st, gansta in designer) but a lot of boring shit too. Better than ab nobody cares-soul.

Why am I so wise

You were doing so well until you said that line about Ab-Soul, now you done goofed right there. Although I don't care for Killer Mike at all either.

Hip-hop has moved past just being boom-bap so it's hard to draw a distinction anymore. Even if there was a scale of from bad to good, lot of people are into wack shit so even that has an audience.

It's all hip-hop

I need something new to listen to now, bumped the shit out of RAP music for the last couple months. Anything else that goes hard with a bit of sensibility here and there?

cacophony

I used to fuck with Currensy but now I just find him boring as hell. Nothing has been on par with PT1&2. He can release 20 projects a year but the fact is all of them will be forgettable as hell

I used to fuck with Currensy but now I just find him boring as hell. Nothing has been on par with PT1&2. He can release 20 projects a year but the fact is all of them will be forgettable as hell
Cigarette Boats is fly is fuck, though... If that was a full project, I would rate it greater than PT1 and 2.

Well, maybe at the same level as 1, lol.

IrishNinja

gonna check that warren G & nate thing with caution

Jay is easily top 5 material, people just dont like admitting it. 3 classic albums with a few good efforts, commercial relevance for 2 decades in terms of output, some of the best rap singles ever made, an game-changer in collaborations with musicians outside of rap, and arguably the most versatile emcee of all time.

In time, people will come to know that he was really that dude, maybe the most dominant rap artist of all time.

He's already on most top five lists, no need for time to cement anything. So no...

okay, but i think ya'll are missing what i was asking for - can you fuck up your legacy by dropping nearly a decade of garbage after it, or should you always get a pass? this is literally the core of most Nas debates pre LIG.
i agree with both of ya'll generally, but you don't think shit would've been a lot stronger leaving on black album, one of his best? his ratio would've been hard to fuck with, i think. that's gotta count for something.

I feel bad because everyone and their mother is in love with R.A.P. Music but I'm just not that into it and I love Killer Mike.

which is weird cause ive heard Mike forever on features but this is literally his first album ive fucked with

I was listening to DOOM when you were stanning Lil Bow Wow in 2002. Fall back

i was sharing a sandwhich with dude in the bay area when you were watching House Party 2 in slow mo trying to cop moves dun

Theres not 1 jigga album that i dont like. Kingdom Come was fly, get off me.

see, the albums so bad it hurts jay's credibility a bit and even those that support it
its aight but definitely better in light of BP3

Let me guess, Lupe will ask us what really happened on September 11th

oh, i think he's got theories
and he gon share em, even if the man dont want that

Cigarette Boats is fly is fuck, though... If that was a full project, I would rate it greater than PT1 and 2.

Well, maybe at the same level as 1, lol.

id vouch for this last alchemist one too but yeah, agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom