• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

codhand

70l.gif

lol, bronson woulda helped her into the crowd

Gotta say that Wiki shit turns me off. I heard the Wikispeaks track a couple years ago and blew it off as Em dick riding. But when Esh and HRD agree on something it's impossible for it to be wack...I'll peep it this week.

Esch

Banned
Gotta say that Wiki shit turns me off. I heard the Wikispeaks track a couple years ago and blew it off as Em dick riding. But when Esh and HRD agree on something it's impossible for it to be wack...I'll peep it this week.
Like I said I enjoy the project but I have reservations about Wiki. He really did scale back how annoying his voice is, but technically hes dope and its an interesting project musically. Its a big melange of sounds from different genres over a 90s rap template with millenial sensibilities. Its kind of a weird album. But its interesting, not afraid to be different and is an enjoyable listen I think.

mooooose

druggys wit hoes 3 sounds cool, hopefully cdq is released eventually

edit - ratking album is just dope. i could go on for days about it but im kinda lazy. the way it respects wu, dipset, and nyc rap in general is just amazing. one of the more progressive albums in hip hop but i dont think it will make the waves it deserves because its not a sound that can be replicated. these dudes are truly original and that's not how you get over in hip hop, especially considering where the underground is

i never thought wiki had an annoying voice, it doesnt sound like something he "puts on" like other rappers with similar delivery. it just strikes me more that this is his voice and it's obvious on his hooks. dude really spits from the soul. it's awesome

having said that it'd be cool to hear him over a classic soul sample beat or something. something that isn't so dense. this album is DENSE.

snow beach, so it goes, so sick stories are highs to me. i havent given the second half enough attention to really pick favorites. * reminds me of something tyler the creator tried to do on goblin and failed and sounded like a cornball.

HiResDes

Yep Moose. Also working on the wrap-up right now. Gonna be some surprises, and I might leave out something, make suggestions after it's done to see if something just might of slipped my mind.

Esch

Banned
Original is the wrong word; its still a composite of sounds from x and y. It is good, and packaged in a refreshing way though.

mooooose

Original is the wrong word; its still a composite of sounds from x and y. It is good, and packaged in a refreshing way though.
nah i disagree

there are literally so many elements and influences, at some point, it reaches the otherside of the curve and becomes its own thing

Esch

Banned
nah i disagree

there are literally so many elements and influences, at some point, it reaches the otherside of the curve and becomes its own thing
Fair enough, I dont agree with this Kanye/Between the Buried and me esque evaluation of 'progressive' though. Its a continuation of previous things with bits and pieces from here and there added in, its unfocused

mooooose

Fair enough, I dont agree with this Kanye/Between the Buried and me esque evaluation of 'progressive' though. Its an evolution of previous things with bits and pieces from here and there added in, its unfocused

i dont always either but here i do

the kanye example i never understand because he orchestrates a large group of talented people but for the most part is just expanding on current sounds. hes able to take the best of things and package them but it feels shallow and even when new, it sounds like he's trying to make the "new thing".

with something like ratking i don't see it as much. their ability to weave sounds shows an obvious passion for the sources. they do them justice and at the end of the day, i don't know many songs that sound like eat or so it goes. the album sounds organic and not contrived.

edit - tho ill agree the album is kinda unfocused. sonically cohesive and bound together by their influences but they want to do too much. it doesnt really hinder the album IMO but its just a fact

so yea i see u and yea i make the decisions based on whether or not its original based on what i like so a certain degree i guess i dont really have an argument at all this would be a B- on a paper prolly

Esch

Banned
i dont always either but here i do

the kanye example i never understand because he orchestrates a large group of talented people but for the most part is just expanding on current sounds. hes able to take the best of things and package them but it feels shallow and even when new, it sounds like he's trying to make the "new thing".

with something like ratking i don't see it as much. their ability to weave sounds shows an obvious passion for the sources. they do them justice and at the end of the day, i don't know many songs that sound like eat or so it goes. the album sounds organic and not contrived.

edit - tho ill agree the album is kinda unfocused. sonically cohesive and bound together by their influences but they want to do too much. it doesnt really hinder the album IMO but its just a fact

so yea i see u and yea i make the decisions based on whether or not its original based on what i like so a certain degree i guess i dont really have an argument at all this would be a B- on a paper prolly
Yea ill agree that they do it justice and its dope. It sounds like im unfairly criticizing it and I am. Being really 'original' is hard. It definitely doesnt feel overly calculated or anything like that, I simply have recently come to dislike that conflation of having a bunch of different sources or 'sounding' new with actually being something fundamentally different. I dont think something being original is necessary for it to be good or even straight up classic level material. Basically its a bunch of kids who like a lot of music trying to flow over it. Doesnt have to be deeper than that to be dope. And I dont think theres anything wrong with being a 'calculating' type of content creator. I actually believe on some level its harder than being a so called 'natural'

overcast

Man, fucking lame that we won't get an MP3 of that.

On another note, when are the horns going to stop at concerts. Things are really corny haha.

DJ Mustard plays the original Sanctified beat. Damn, Kanye turned that into some whole other shit.

god, Mustard is trash. Don't get me wrong, he has some great beats but it's the simplest Dr. Seuss production on the radio. Listen to that original Sanctified brehs, and then listen to Kanye's. One was done in 5 minutes on a laptop, the other was down over the course of 5 days probably, with the help of a collection of petite white nerds no doubt.

HiResDes

god, Mustard is trash. Don't get me wrong, he has some great beats but it's the simplest Dr. Seuss production on the radio. Listen to that original Sanctified brehs, and then listen to Kanye's. One was done in 5 minutes on a laptop, the other was down over the course of 5 days probably, with the help of a collection of petite white nerds no doubt.

Thank you, been saying Mustard is trash for a while now

Retail List

Thank you, been saying Mustard is trash for a while now

Retail List

Didn't really see what you guys were talking about until I heard a friend pointed out a sample he used and after that I started noticing the same elements he uses over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom