• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

T Dollarz

I'm watching the Justified finale right now. Man this season was the worst. Ugh. Huge letdown. At least I have both Game of Thrones and Mad Men back on Sundays!

Macca

25 Bucks video is damn good.
Just watched it. Thought Danny was really good, but overall didn't like it. Didn't like the white chick, and didn't like a lot of the editing.

Even thought purity ring did the chorus, I felt that was Danny's story to tell, and would've enjoyed it more if it was just him.

HiResDes

I don't understand the So It Goes complaints, there's definitely enough homage to dusty NY hip-hop to satisfy most traditionalists I would think.

T Dollarz

I don't understand the So It Goes complaints, there's definitely enough homage to dusty NY hip-hop to satisfy most traditionalists I would think.
Yeah I was just thinking that while I was listening to it last night. Perfect balance of 90s NYC callbacks and a very progressive sound. Gonna be listening to it for a while.

I'm watching the Justified finale right now. Man this season was the worst. Ugh. Huge letdown. At least I have both Game of Thrones and Mad Men back on Sundays!

Haha, yeah. I enjoyed the season, but even I'll admit it was weak compared to the other ones.

Also Fargo starts up on Tuesdays. I'm definitely curious to see that.

Dereck

2013 project nostalgia in the whip

DaH_Vices-front-large.jpg
denzelcurryN64.jpg
mrmfnexquirekismetcover.gif

HiResDes

I bump V.I.C.E.S. all the time. Super under appreciated release.

...I had an epiphany today after going through 2013 releases, and I think Billy Woods is my favorite lyricist in the game today. And I'd probably rate Armand Hammer's Race Music in my twenty rap albums of all time list. So rewarding, though I guess a bit inaccessible.

Dereck

I bump V.I.C.E.S. all the time. Super under appreciated release.

...I had an epiphany today after going through 2013 releases, and I think Billy Woods is my favorite lyricist in the game today. And I'd probably rate Armand Hammer's Race Music in my twenty rap albums of all time list. So rewarding, though I guess a bit inaccessible.
monta-ellis-handshake.gif

mooooose

VICES, N64, and Kismet were all pretty rough for different reasons. All of them were very much C efforts. N64/Denzel Curry shows the most promise. Kismet was a step back for Exquire.

HiResDes

I disagree, Vices is way better than Oxymoron breh. Definitely at least a B project.

...Unrelated, and I know I'm late, but man I've just started stanning Wave Racer. Dude is so good, almost Hemsworth tier for me.

Cudder

I recently finished Orange is the New Black (great show), and Broadchurch, which was one of the best pieces of drama I've ever seen, TV or film. I'd recommend it to anybody.

Just started watching Arrow with the gf, and Californication on my own for the times when I can't get to her place to watch Arrow. Calif. seems pretty dull so far, Entourage did the whole playboy lifestyle way better IMO, at least so far. I'll keep with it though, as I can't stand stopping something once I've started.

I recently finished Orange is the New Black (great show), and Broadchurch, which was one of the best pieces of drama I've ever seen, TV or film. I'd recommend it to anybody.

Just started watching Arrow with the gf, and Californication on my own for the times when I can't get to her place to watch Arrow. Calif. seems pretty dull so far, Entourage did the whole playboy lifestyle way better IMO, at least so far. I'll keep with it though, as I can't stand stopping something once I've started.

Orange is alright. I found myself liking all the sideplots and characters and disliking the main girl and her storyline.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Orange is alright. I found myself liking all the sideplots and characters and disliking the main girl and her storyline.
If there were ever more an overrated show right now, OitNB is definitely it. I want all that time I spent watching it back.

HiResDes

Agreed. And considering they're getting rid of Prepon for season 2, they're probably gonna focus more on her relationship with the guy from American Pie. /shudder

Are they really? If so I'm done, Preppon has aged like a fine wine, she's one of the main reasons I tuned in.

Courage

Even though her acting isn't as good as some of the other side characters on the show, her arc with Piper is the best part of the show so far.

Scust at the Troy ave and Ross thing... But I guess MMG is paying.

lol wasn't Troy Ave taking shots at Rozay a couple weeks ago?

Ave is a pudgy version of Meek Mills, why would Ross want him. But then again Ross signed Stalley, which means he'll sign anyone.

Stally is so boring, I've been hearing his verses for about 5 years and just now realized he doesn't curse.

Hellion

lol wasn't Troy Ave taking shots at Rozay a couple weeks ago?

Ave is a pudgy version of Meek Mills, why would Ross want him. But then again Ross signed Stalley, which means he'll sign anyone.

Stally is so boring, I've been hearing his verses for about 5 years and just now realized he doesn't curse.
Wow lol stally is like milk carton status.

Kimosabae

Banned

Wasn't looking for an homage, I was looking for Wiki to help bring that sound/style back around. Him rapping 32 bars on a 5-6 minute track isn't good for me.

Wiki explains it like this: "Punk sounds great live but it can often come up short on record. Rap sounds great but is not the dopest thing to see live. We're a rap group but we want to be part of the culture of punk; people coming to know songs live before they hear them on record, so they can really wile out."

And honestly, I don't like Hak.

Then there's Hak. Hak should never have been in a rap group. Until recently, he'd never even listened to music. He speaks with the gentle, sweet voice of a New England art student. "I was about the ethics of seeing," he says, opaquely. "I was drawing, experiencing everything on a visual level. I didn't give music any mind, any attention, any consciousness. I didn't give a fuck about music."

But that wasn't good enough for Wiki. "Hak was like my best friend, so in my ideal world I wanted us rapping together. But Hak didn't rap, so I had to make him rap." Once Hak had seen an early incarnation of Ratking, he was onboard. "Hearing them start made me want to open my mouth," he says, staring into the middle-distance as if he's playing a part in a Beat Generation movie. "For me, I had to learn to hear."

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/apr/12/ratking-rap-culture-of-punk

HiResDes

There are enough dusty NY guys still rapping that no one cares about, so if you're asking RATKING to abandon all of the touches that make their music interesting I can't say I agree at all. If you want to listen to 90s NY boom bap pull out Only Built 4 Cuban Linx or The Infamous, but the only thing that is going to make people start caring about the region again is musical advancement. RATKING doesn't abandon the classic NY sound, but rather incorporates it and builds.

mooooose

TBH I know what he means and I would also not mind if Wiki released a solo EP or something that is more straight forward but I like what RATKING is doing a lot.

Courage

I'd say they're rejuvenating that whole subgenre. We've heard those traditional sounds how many times now? Something experimental should hopefully spring a lot of emulations or at least incentivize more groups to try something different, seeing how good the reception for this album is.

mooooose

This album is dense and hard to emulate. I doubt much music will come out of RATKING's existence. Maybe just more attempts at experimentation in rap in general, but their sound is uniquely their's through obscurity.

HiResDes

This album is dense and hard to emulate. I doubt much music will come out of RATKING's existence. Maybe just more attempts at experimentation in rap in general, but their sound is uniquely their's through obscurity.
Dude it's not even that experimental, just not dusty.

Kimosabae

Banned
C'mon, Res. Don't go trying to fit your framework for dismissal upon what I openly admit is a subjective desire for something potentially unrealistic. Telling me to listen to 90's groups is pointless when part of my desire is to hear the voice of newer generations inspired by an old aesthetic. Havok has no new or interesting thought to express and for good reason - he's old. Wiki 93' is a new, young voice; with a raw, lyrical aesthetic I've bee clamoring for. "Wikispeaks" was an "the old is new once again" approach, almost literally embodied in a 15 years old urban mutt. That was progressive enough for me.

I've admitted the music on SiG is good; it just isn't building towards any sound I can appreciate and Wiki being forced to share so much of the spotlight with Hak and Sport is a frustrating proposition for me.

It just isn't what I wanted. It's still good stuff and I supported their endeavor with money. I just won't be listening to this album in a week.

*shrug*

Tokubetsu

I listened to that track with Krule and the black dude who raps after Wiki is fucking garbage. Y'all really bout that nonsense mumble rap life? Wiki is good but this other guy is fucking garbage, no energy, mumbles and the shit you do catch is nonsense.

HiResDes

I think the production, change of rap tone, and King Krule feature on the hook really benefit Wiki, who is technically the best but could become a bit grating to listen to in isolation

Esch

Banned
C'mon, Res. Don't go trying to fit your framework for dismissal upon what I openly admit is a subjective desire for something potentially unrealistic. Telling me to listen to 90's groups is pointless when part of my desire is to hear the voice of newer generations inspired by an old aesthetic. Havok has no new or interesting thought to express and for good reason - he's old. Wiki 93' is a new, young voice; with a raw, lyrical aesthetic I've bee clamoring for. "Wikispeaks" was an "the old is new once again" approach, almost literally embodied in a 15 years old urban mutt. That was progressive enough for me.

I've admitted the music on SiG is good; it just isn't building towards any sound I can appreciate and Wiki being forced to share so much of the spotlight with Hak and Sport is a frustrating proposition for me.

It just isn't what I wanted. It's still good stuff and I supported their endeavor with money. I just won't be listening to this album in a week.

*shrug*

n****s want old shit buy old albums

and yeah the other dudes are garbage. wiki should go solo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom