• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

More than okay to wait for the 7 tracks that will come with that TARGET DELUXE.

I fuck with Los Awesome more than I thought I would. Though the beat is a little ehhh. Hook is dope.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
need to find out what that Hoover Street sample is... my brain is racked up trying to place it. really like this sample.... ugh.

injurai

Banned
Pretty mixed on the album. I love half of the songs, kind of bored by the rest. Need more listens.

more listens fixes everything

btw I got shit drunk and warmed up to sex drive, oxy music, and sexting over the weekend. Still a sober listen is more succinct with them excluded.

I probably won't pick this up until saturday :|

only listened once, but I enjoyed. The only thing I had heard off it was man of the year, which bangs imo. actually the last 4-5 tracks are straight fire

Standard is 15. Deluxe is 17.

Fuck it, gonna go to bed. Better see that full drip when I wake up or somebody gonna get a hurt real bad.
kttcolisitdown

exarkun

I was thinking about hype leading up to albums, and really the GOOD Music/Friday shit Kanye did was too nice. Got spoiled. We haven't gotten much from Rozay or Q, not in the way Kanye was just directly injecting that ish into fan's veins. So Appalled? Christian Dior Denim Flow? Lord Lord Lord? I mean, I loved Appalled so much I didn't even mind RZA's "FUCKKING RIDICILUS" bong-bong shit.

I know Kanye went waaay above the all of duty, just wish big artists would do a hype track or two like that.

I was thinking about hype leading up to albums, and really the GOOD Music/Friday shit Kanye did was too nice. Got spoiled. We haven't gotten much from Rozay or Q, not in the way Kanye was just directly injecting that ish into fan's veins. So Appalled? Christian Dior Denim Flow? Lord Lord Lord? I mean, I loved Appalled so much I didn't even mind RZA's "FUCKKING RIDICILUS" bong-bong shit.

I know Kanye went waaay above the all of duty, just wish big artists would do a hype track or two like that.
RZA's FUCKING RIDICULOUS is the most memorable thing about that song.

Detox

LMAO.

Wasn't he always threatening to leave way back then too? About how they don't promote his work so he will leave and sign a 100 million deal with so and so?

Good luck now.
He has already signed an indie deal with universal and his album is dropping in March. It will sell more than Oxymoron.

He has already signed an indie deal with universal and his album is dropping in March. It will sell more than Oxymoron.

I really liked some of the songs he dropped before BISD and half that album was solid. I hope this is 50s return to relevancy...but then again he's got so much money at this point I doubt it's even a priority for him.

HiResDes

Album is a 3/5, and I think I'm being a bit generous:

Here are my full impressions:

The beginning of the album is garbage besides the opener "Gangsta," and that doesn't even really wow me. The songs just sound forced, the 2 Chainz collab sounds a bit forced, and Los Awesome sounds like a Swizz track in the worst way possible. Right from the start the album's weaknesses become most apparent. The structure of the songs and the way they are composed just sound so artificial. The album is so formulaic, predictable, and seems to be yet another offender of unabashed pandering, but even the pandering is archaic.

The middle of the album gets a bit better, Hoover Street sounds like classic grimey Q, and even if it's a bit predictable, it's exactly what I wanted and expected to hear out of a Q's first major retail push. Studio is decent, but the hook already seems quite overbearing, and I can tell that this song will not age well at all.

Prescription/Oxymoron is probably the first genuinely great track on the album. and that's sad because we're already halfway through. It sounds so genuine, features a great beat switchup, and allows the listener the closest glimpse into who Q really is and what sets him apart from the other TDE rappers. It's one part confessional, one part swagged out grimey trap shit. Not many other people can make the transition sound so natural.

The Purge features a really weak beat, that outstays it's welcome well before its nearly five minute mark. It sounds like a Goblin b-side, Q's verse is nice, but man Tyler doesn't hold up his own at all, and those horns get kind of annoying. Just a really middling track.

Blind Threats is fantastic. Raekwon's verse is so classic Wu-Tang, and that beat features these fast, yet somewhat soft drums reminiscent of those found in Nas' Like a Man. Q has a great verse, doing his flawed remorseful gangsta rap thing. And the verse is littered with enough humor to not make it sound too one-dimensional. Q just sounds so aware of his immorality and mortality on this joint.

Hell of a Night sounds like a track the record executives force fed to Q.

The album ends well. Break Da Bank, and Man of the Year are strong tracks, especially the former, but you've already heard them so I won't waste time on them. I will just say I absolutely love the chorus and beat on Break Da Bank, he's doing this raspy singing thing that sounds like a grimier version of Ja Rule's junt, and man he's spitting with such an creative flow that fits the song perfectly.

effzee

I don't doubt he will sell more than Q. But is that really some great statement? This dude dropped from being the top mainstream guy selling millions week 1 to now being almost irrelevant both on the street and radio level.

Maybe this will be new motivation but I doubt it. I loved his first major 1.5 albums but since then he has been super lazy and boring.

Didn't he also diss Cam for being on an indie label and now ended up on one himself?

Detox

I've liked the songs he's dropped so far: new day, major distribution, that GRODT anniversary one. I'm interested in what he is going to do now that G-Unit is independent. He has been going on for the past few years that nobody should sign with a major with the internet and labels don't do shit anymore, I suspect he has been waiting to be a free agent. Labels don't help and he wasn't going to put in the time and effort if they were going to sit on their hands. I'm interested in how he promotes this album and if he really will get back on his grind.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
On a related note, am I the only one who thought Cilvia Demo was not-good?

I mean it has a good vibe at times, and production is sort of lush but for most of the album it sounds like a struggle Blu project. The vibe it was keeps me from calling it a bad album, but the amount of good songs keeps me from calling it a good one. Cilvia Demo, R.I.P. Kevin Miller and Soliloquy are the only songs I am going back to. Rashad is mostly forgettable on the mic on every other song.

beanman25

I mean it has a good vibe at times, and production is sort of lush but for most of the album it sounds like a struggle Blu project. The vibe it was keeps me from calling it a bad album, but the amount of good songs keeps me from calling it a good one. Cilvia Demo, R.I.P. Kevin Miller and Soliloquy are the only songs I am going back to. Rashad is mostly forgettable on the mic on every other song.

I really enjoyed Cilvia Demo. My favorite tracks include the ones you mention, but I also really enjoyed Modest among others.

Grzi

It's still better than Oxymoron.

mooooose

The best song is Prescription/Oxymoron.

Gangsta is the second best song.

Break the Bank is great, Man of the Year is also really great.

Hoover Street is pretty good. Los Awesome is good for what it is.

The rest of the album is literally ass.

Yay Yay and Banger are more exciting than this. Whatever vaults have the 50 tracks, Californication, EAT, and Druggy Wit Hoes Part Trois... man, that's already better than what we got.

This is so mediocre.

Hell of a Night sounds like a track the record executives force fed to Q.
Nah, it sounds like Party pt 2. Except Party was better.

I might take Setbacks over this.
Kamikaze, Figg Get Da Money, Cycle, and Birdz & The Beez feel more inspired than this entire album.. and I'm not even sure if that's a good thing.. HnC is the only album where Q came into his own.

He's too good at shit talking and being a drug addict to try this hard on an album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom