• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooooose

The Deluxe didn't even sound good from the snippets besides Fuck LA so there is no reason to be excited. This album was mediocre.

Gangsta is wonderful.

njean777

On a related note, am I the only one who thought Cilvia Demo was not-good?

I mean it has a good vibe at times, and production is sort of lush but for most of the album it sounds like a struggle Blu project. The vibe it was keeps me from calling it a bad album, but the amount of good songs keeps me from calling it a good one. Cilvia Demo, R.I.P. Kevin Miller and Soliloquy are the only songs I am going back to. Rashad is mostly forgettable on the mic on every other song.

No, I thought it was boring as fuck. I listened to it and got halfway through and was questioning what TDE saw in him.

HiResDes

One thing I forgot to speak is the lack of skits and connectivity between the songs. It had to of been a conscious decision to distance the album from GKMC, but still if you're gonna go this route every song needs to be a banger, and in the end it hurts the album even more on the whole.

Jitters

No, I thought it was boring as fuck. I listened to it and got halfway through and was questioning what TDE saw in him.

Yeah, I didn't like it at all. Everyone else seems to though. Its like people will jump on anybody that seems like he could be a big deal. Like Quelle Chris and Ka.

HiResDes

Quelle Chris and KA are never going to be big deals, and they both even know that...Rashad has absolutely nothing in common with either, and he could actually potentially have some mainstream appeal. We like Chris and KA because they make great albums, not just great songs, something you wouldn't know about.

overcast

I don't feel like it needs skits. Isn't a story being told outside of the tracks, nor a connection track to track.

I'll review after a work out and my shift, maybe just later this weekend. I like it though. Has to sit a while either way.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Rashad has no lane. There's nothing or any niche he does better than anyone out there or well enough to justify a spot in the mainstream.. let alone someone exceptional even in the indie scene.

Jitters

Quelle Chris and KA are never going to be big deals, and they both even know that...Rashad has absolutely nothing in common with either, and he could actually potentially have some mainstream appeal. We like Chris and KA because they make great albums, not just great songs, something you wouldn't know about.

Are you giving me sass.

HiResDes

Rashad has no lane. There's nothing or any niche he does better than anyone out there or well enough to justify a spot in the mainstream.. let alone someone exceptional even in the indie scene.

I'm not crazy about him, but he could ride that J. Cole lane.

PBY

Banned
Des- agree w all your points except Gangsta. It's a great opener. Slaps you on the mouth. Qs energy is great. Ad libs are going. Flows all over the place. Grimey and raw. Then it's mehhh going forward.

HiResDes

I think if you're one of those people that had Rocky's album in your top ten last year, you might be one of the people that really like Oxy.

PBY

Banned
I think if you're one of those people that had Rocky's album in your top ten last year, you might be one of the people that really like Oxy.
Willing to bet a lot it ends up in Gaf Hops top 10 of 2014. I liked LLA slightly more- but they're kinda glossier, less personal versions of the artists themselves, that fail to reach the bar of the prior tape. LLA just sounded more expensive/used better features imo

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jumping into Deluxe now.

Agree with peter about Gangsta. I'm not crazy about the song, but it sets the tone immediately and for some reason during this fresh listen, I'm liking it MUCH better than the snippet we got before.

HiResDes

Willing to bet a lot it ends up in Gaf Hops top 10 of 2014. I liked LLA slightly more- but they're kinda glossier, less personal versions of the artists themselves, that fail to reach the bar of the prior tape. LLA just sounded more expensive/used better features imo

I agree. LLA edges this out. Perfect comparison. We're actually really in sync, I think you're right about Gangsta too.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
The entire shebang is out there.

yuuuupppp, still gotta agree with des-drop on this one though. got my expectations up
phYXvgI.png

overcast

Still don't like Hell of a Night at all. Shit sounds so forced. I feel like once you hit this track it's like, "did I switch albums?". Doesn't even make sense to me.

Break the Bank after though. Jesus, so good.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Still don't like Hell of a Night at all. Shit sounds so forced. I feel like once you hit this track it's like, "did I switch albums?". Doesn't even make sense to me.
Studio and Hell of a Night both sound hella forced onto the album, either through some perceived need for diversity by Q or the label.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Posted my first impressions/initial review of Oxymoron in the OT.

Super disappointing, but the writing was sort of on the wall. I think Q let the pressure get to him. This definitely does sound like he's trying to appease all of the pressure from Kendrick's success from a lot of the content across of the album. The two forced ladies tracks sound super generic even compared to ladies tracks he's done before. The production feels like he went left because he had to, which could be a good thing but it isn't really.

Same deal with Cilvia Demo kind of. It's not terrible, but I wouldn't put it near the word great. It has it's fair share of stand outs, but even still I feel like it's missing the style, the flavour, the execution, the organic feel and variety of HnC. It's a very clear step down and does feel more manufactured than previous works too.

Nothing on here is as good as Nightmare on Figg, either of the Druggies Wit Hoes or even Sacrilegious I feel.

1.Gangsta
2.Los Awesome
3.Collard Greens
4.What They Want
5.Grooveline 2
6.Perscription/Oxymoron
7.Break The Bank
8.Studio
9.Blind Threats
10.Fuck LA
11.Man of The Year

Hell of A Night, The Purge, Hoover Street and His and Her Friend could have been Deluxe tracks. Just like that the album is dramatically improved. Q sucks at sequencing his albums.

Cudder

1.Gangsta
2.Los Awesome
3.Collard Greens
4.What They Want
5.Grooveline 2
6.Perscription/Oxymoron
7.Break The Bank
8.Studio
9.Blind Threats
10.Fuck LA
11.Man of The Year

Hell of A Night, The Purge, Hoover Street and His and Her Friend could have been Deluxe tracks. Just like that the album is dramatically improved. Q sucks at sequencing his albums.

Kendrick did it

I just started listening to Oxymoron, only 5 songs through so far. I'm liking it overall. Only thing I've really disliked is 2 chainz's verse on What They Want. If most people who didn't like it said that the beginning of the album was the weakest part, I'm looking forward to the rest.

Jitters

Filling out that thing made me start to think. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever love a hip hop albums as much as I love It Takes A Nation. It just so "against the man", you know. Somewhere hip hop became the man. Now the rebels are waging war on the genre. Nobody is fighting the REAL man anymore.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Filling out that thing made me start to think. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever love a hip hop albums as much as I love It Takes A Nation. It just so "against the man", you know. Somewhere hip hop became the man. Now the rebels are waging war on the genre. Nobody is fighting the REAL man anymore.
Except Kanye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom