• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filling out that thing made me start to think. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever love a hip hop albums as much as I love It Takes A Nation. It just so "against the man", you know. Somewhere hip hop became the man. Now the rebels are waging war on the genre. Nobody is fighting the REAL man anymore.

PE is still around they released two albums in 2012. They may not be as prominent as they once were, but their message is still strong.

Mik317

Oxy is ok.

The singles + Gangsta and maaaybe Fuck LA are the best songs on the album with a lot of meeeh tracks.

But the Singles and Gangsta fucking bang so there is that.

Omzz

gave the standard a listen

stand out tracks so far are gangsta, prescription/oxymoron and blind threats

already played the shit out of man of the year, collard greens and break the bank. so those are a given

They really let a Tyler beat make the album.

kttcoliwhat

Jitters

PE is still around they released two albums in 2012. They may not be as prominent as they once were, but their message is still strong.

Yeah, they weren't too bad. Especially since they came from a hip hop act that far into their career.

Its just I wish there were more modern acts like them.

Its like its about regular hip hop stuff or against hip hop stuff. No one sees the big picture.

EDIT: Thats not to say I don't enjoy modern stuff. I definitely do. I don't want to sound like some bitchy dad-hop dude.

Jitters

While we are on the subject, another thing impressive about PE(Chuck D, I guess) was that they were so lyrically great yet still managed to be so tuneful. The deepest lyricist more often than not could never appeal to a person that doesn't like hip hop. They are usually too monotone or don't bother making anything other than the lyrics matter. The ones can appeal to that crowd are dudes like Rocky, who has the shittiest lyrics ever, but are very listenable.

Esch

Banned
While we are on the subject, another thing impressive about PE(Chuck D, I guess) was that they were so lyrically great yet still managed to be so tuneful. The deepest lyricist more often than not could never appeal to a person that doesn't like hip hop. They are usually too monotone or don't bother making anything other the lyrics matter. The ones can appeal to that crowd are dudes like Rocky, who has the shittiest lyrics ever, but is very listenable.
Like I said. Swag deprived with tin ears. The only person making listenable political rap in the past couple years is Killer Mike. Lupe tries, but he's a cornball. Kanye tries, but it comes off like some halfbaked moron shit. Then theres the K-Rino/Immortal Technique crowd, who are silly as shit.

Kwixotik

The 2Chainz track isn't bad, really. I was going to write it off because of 2Chainz on it, but I'm kinda feelin it on first listen.

While we are on the subject, another thing impressive about PE(Chuck D, I guess) was that they were so lyrically great yet still managed to be so tuneful. The deepest lyricist more often than not could never appeal to a person that doesn't like hip hop. They are usually too monotone or don't bother making anything other than the lyrics matter. The ones can appeal to that crowd are dudes like Rocky, who has the shittiest lyrics ever, but are very listenable.

Did you ever get this mixtape?

Turn Off the Radio Vol. 4: Revolutionary but Gangsta Grillz

If not nab it, you'll like it.

DominoKid

Hoover Street sounds pretty inspired even though it's kind of all over the place. So far I'm feeling like he should've zeroed in on this as a focus.

yo this might be my favorite recycle bin gif yet lmao
KgouhG0.jpg

Kwixotik

Okay, this is first listen impressions so they may change later but

Great: Hoover Street, Prescription/Oxymoron, Break the Bank, Fuck LA
Good: Gangsta, Blind Threats, Hell of a Night, Man of the Year, Grooveline pt. 2, What They Want, Collard Greens
Okay: Studio
Bad: Los Awesome, The Purge, His and Her Fiend

I added that up and got 2.63 out of 4. That, minus a bit for lack of cohesion. I guess I gotta go with 3/5 on a more normal scale as an album overall. Still though, we got a lot of good tracks out of it. I'm probably just gonna delete those 4 kinda shitty songs.

Also my roommate who told me he's really into Q lately still hasn't realized what we're listening to

Studio would have been a classic Freddie Gibbs song, in the vein of MCH. But Schoolboy wastes it. I like the chorus/singing melody but the verse was just a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom