• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
why did I even bother watching this Elliot Wilson Breakfast Club interview?

Elliot currently arguing Drake is the best rapper in the game, best artist

also Kendrick doesn't count because "he isn't active"

#icant

On a lighter note, Yee says she has a ton of rappers hit her up consistently about getting Jay Electronica features.

CoolOff

Musical Taste:
• Pick a coast to rep - West, it's just more fun. Upcoming answers will make this one seem a bit strange, but it is what it is.
• Favorite Artist - Atmosphere
• Best feature killer - Kendrick
• Favourite producer - Apollo Brown, Madlib, RZA
• Favourite album - Ready To Die or 36 Chambers
• What's in your playlist right now? - BJ the Chicago Kid - Sex X Money X Sneakers. Been my go to sunshine-tune for a while now.

GAF-Hop Discusses:
• Rank Kanye's albums: Graduation (the album that got me hooked on the genre back when I was 16) > Yeezus > MBDTF = Late Registration > College Dropout >>>>>>>>>>> 808s (is this an unpopular opinion here?)
• Who is the best Wu-Tang member? - Ghostface
• Jay Z or Nas? - Nas, just as easily as clokwize
• Biggie or Pac? - Biggie
• What’s your dream album/project? - Gonna take way to long to figure out, but Cam'ron should've gotten the Girl Talk-stuff that went to Freeway.
• Who is the next big rapper/producer? - Fully believe KRIT's gonna blow up like Kendrick did, although probably not to quite the same extent due to lacking some crossover potential.
• Who is the most overrated/underrated emcee? - Talib Kweli should get more recognition. And like clokwize said, Jay is way overrated.
• Have you been known to eat ass? - My name on Urban Dictionary means "a dude who seriously knows how to eat the shit out of some phat pussy", so I'll stick to that for now. Open to the idea though.

CoolOff

Welcome to GAF Hop

Feels good to be here.

tumblr_mei8anPgRG1r0o5j7o1_400.gif

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I don't think I've listened to a roots album in ten years. In the early 2000's I had their entire discography and never really listened to it beyond a few skim throughs. I remember taking out illadelph to lend to a friend and it had been in the cd case so long it was glued to the plastic pocket. Roots are that band I respect but dont really enjoy. Only reason I had all their albums was because as a shitty little backpacker numbnut I thought it was just something I had to own.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GAF-Hop getting so many newcomers. We need a GAF Freshman cover. I vote for siddx.

(Lol siddx wanted to autocorrect to Diddy. You were a snake in another life, homie)

I don't think I've listened to a roots album in ten years. In the early 2000's I had their entire discography and never really listened to it beyond a few skim throughs. I remember taking out illadelph to lend to a friend and it had been in the cd case so long it was glued to the plastic pocket. Roots are that band I respect but dont really enjoy. Only reason I had all their albums was because as a shitty little backpacker numbnut I thought it was just something I had to own.

i dunno why i liked their last album so much, it's kinda boring thinking back on it.

just listen to that song with big krit. he has a good verse.

IrishNinja

welcome CoolOff! and i gotta take umbrage; the further he's gotten from reflection eternal/blackstar the less ive enjoyed his shit, personally

siddx

GAF-Hop getting so many newcomers. We need a GAF Freshman cover. I vote for siddx.

(Lol siddx wanted to autocorrect to Diddy. You were a snake in another life, homie)

TAKE THAT TAKE THAT TAKE THAT

*diddy dances away*

i dunno why i liked their last album so much, it's kinda boring thinking back on it.

just listen to that song with big krit. he has a good verse.

I did hear that song, Krit definitely stood out. Thinking about it, I actually got that whole album...and never even listened to it. It's probably still sitting on my old computer, never even added to itunes.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

If you ever get a chance see them live. I felt the same way about them as you did until I caught them live and it all sort of clicked for me on why their dope.

CoolOff

Yeah, Undun was weird. I tend to skip the songs when they roll around in the playlist, but I wanna say it was a really good album anyway.

What is with the rampant Graduation love?

A lot of it is probably nostalgia for me, but I consider I Wonder and Flashing Lights to be two of his best five tracks ever, and the rest of the album is solid.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, Undun was weird. I tend to skip the songs when they roll around in the playlist, but I wanna say it was a really good album anyway.
When I get this feeling about an album, I feel wrong. Like something is getting in the way of my objective assessment of an album. Like I've been trained by peers/media to like something.

I feel like this all the time for albums that are cohesive but boring or lackluster in all the important facets that make you want to listen to them more than once.

How I Got Over was the same way, but at least it had two or three legitimately good songs (the singles, primarily). The rest of it though? Sitting at 1 play in my library.

siddx

Best hip hop acts I've ever seen live are Atmosphere (shocker I know) Tribe, and De La Soul. Cypress Hill were pretty awesome too. I wouldn't mind seeing the roots live. Too bad the only acts that ever come to vietnam are kelly rowland and grandmaster flash.

De La was weird though, they put on an amazing show, all while looking like they'd rather be doing anything else. They had tons of energy, sounded amazing, hit every line perfectly, had the crowd into it...all while the looks on their faces and the little comments in between songs said "goddamn we are tired of playing these fucking songs for you people."

DominoKid

When I get this feeling about an album, I feel wrong. Like something is getting in the way of my objective assessment of an album. Like I've been trained by peers/media to like something.

I feel like this all the time for albums that are cohesive but boring or lackluster in all the important facets that make you want to listen to them more than once.

How I Got Over was the same way, but at least it had two or three legitimately good songs (the singles, primarily). The rest of it though? Sitting at 1 play in my library.

Follow your instincts. Deep down you know its not good. Embrace the hate.

siddx

Graduation is far and away the most radio friendly of his albums. It's easy to enjoy because it's filled with catchy songs. It's a pretty shallow album though that got tiresome really quickly.
Still better than MBMMATWAWCW or Yeezus.

clokwize

Neo Member
Graduation is far and away the most radio friendly of his albums. It's easy to enjoy because it's filled with catchy songs. It's a pretty shallow album though that got tiresome really quickly.
Still better than MBMMATWAWCW or Yeezus.
Agreed, very radio friendly. I mostly enjoyed because of what you said, catchy tunes. I have fond memories blasting that album in my car back in the day. Good times. Album still bangs though, just listened to it last week.

HiResDes

It's really an awesome album. Production is on point and consistent throughout the whole album, songs like Flashing Lights, Champion, and Everything I am are just timeless.
I can't stand flashing lights or Champion anymore, I don't think the poppy chorus driven elements of those tracks have well at all.

I really love one particular track from How I Got Over that features a Bjork sample. I don't know if ya'll know this but Bjork is one of my top five stanned artists btw

Hov's People Talkin is one of my favorite b-sides

Zeus Molecules

I can't stand flashing lights or Champion anymore, I don't think the poppy chorus driven elements of those tracks have well at all.

I really love one particular track from How I Got Over that features a Bjork sample. I don't know if ya'll know this but Bjork is one of my top five stanned artists btw

Hov's People Talkin is one of my favorite b-sides

Yeah "How I got over" was the best roots album in my opinion in a while (though I haven't heard the new one or the Elvis Costello one)

siddx

What you think of the new Atmosphere album siddx?

Still digesting it. I like a lot of the songs on it so far, much more so than the last album, but I haven't had anytime to just sit down and really listen to it. All my exposure has been in short doses while I walk to work.

That new grieves is garbage though.

Esch

Banned
smh @ calling Talib underrated. He has 1 classic album with another guy and 1 good/great album and the rest of that shit sucks.

You wanna pick an 00s backpack rapper to stan off the basis of being underappreciated? At least go with Pharoah Monch.

siddx

smh @ calling Talib underrated. He has 1 classic album with another guy and 1 good/great album and the rest of that shit sucks.

You wanna pick an 00s backpack rapper to stan off the basis of being underappreciated? At least go with Pharoah Monch.

Yeah Kweli is a walking embodiment of disappointment. Blackstar and get by made me think he might be someone worth stanning. Everything he's done since has put me to sleep faster than an ab soul single.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

I liked the EP he did with Madlib. But yeah, I don't really listen to any of that stuff anymore. Kinda grew out of it after the mid 2000's.

Good looks on that new Exquire Des

Musical Taste:
• Pick a coast to rep - West, it's just more fun. Upcoming answers will make this one seem a bit strange, but it is what it is.
• Favorite Artist - Atmosphere
• Best feature killer - Kendrick
• Favourite producer - Apollo Brown, Madlib, RZA
• Favourite album - Ready To Die or 36 Chambers
• What's in your playlist right now? - BJ the Chicago Kid - Sex X Money X Sneakers. Been my go to sunshine-tune for a while now.

GAF-Hop Discusses:
• Rank Kanye's albums: Graduation (the album that got me hooked on the genre back when I was 16) > Yeezus > MBDTF = Late Registration > College Dropout >>>>>>>>>>> 808s (is this an unpopular opinion here?)
• Who is the best Wu-Tang member? - Ghostface
• Jay Z or Nas? - Nas, just as easily as clokwize
• Biggie or Pac? - Biggie
• What’s your dream album/project? - Gonna take way to long to figure out, but Cam'ron should've gotten the Girl Talk-stuff that went to Freeway.
• Who is the next big rapper/producer? - Fully believe KRIT's gonna blow up like Kendrick did, although probably not to quite the same extent due to lacking some crossover potential.
• Who is the most overrated/underrated emcee? - Talib Kweli should get more recognition. And like clokwize said, Jay is way overrated.
• Have you been known to eat ass? - My name on Urban Dictionary means "a dude who seriously knows how to eat the shit out of some phat pussy", so I'll stick to that for now. Open to the idea though.

Welcome. Stay around and stay swaggy.

Just noticed Siddx is back. Sup Homie?

Zeus Molecules

He has some good albums and his Organized Konfusion shit is also dope/ and SUPER slept on. If you're gonna put your kufi on, he's not a bad choice to get behind.

Yeah man when I was younger I use to insult old heads by comparing anyone to monch...... I mean anyone.

Furyous

What is with the rampant Graduation love?

That album prophetic in some ways as a wake up call to young people leaving different phases of their lives. The high points on that album are really really good. You gotta remember he's coming off the Jeezy record Put On so he captured the hood completely. That's not to say he didn't have it before off the strength of his music output but it was a wrap after this.

Esch

Banned
as 6/10 as Graduation was, it felt like the moment when Kanye became a real superstar. Started doing more of those cross-genre collabos, etc. At first he was a backpack rapper inspired by the RZA and Premier with some swag that wrote some amazing songs and albums, and produced some hits, but this was his transitioning point. It telegraphed some of his intentions for the future. Plus, he defeated 50 Cent publically, in embarassing fashion. And then came 808s. The hip hop heads and purists called him a sellout and wack, the soulja girls embraced it, but those singles off that did a lot of work. It's his worst era but it's important as a footnote in his career for sure. 06-08.

If I was gonna compare it to a Jigga album i'd compare it to Vol. 3....Or ...I Am for Nas. High highs, rapper absolutely on top of the game, but a lackluster product.

Cheddahz

Banned
as 6/10 as Graduation was, it felt like the moment when Kanye became a real superstar. Started doing more of those cross-genre collabos, etc. At first he was a backpack rapper inspired by the RZA and Premier with some swag that wrote some amazing songs and albums, and produced some hits, but this was his transitioning point. It telegraphed some of his intentions for the future. Plus, he defeated 50 Cent publically, in embarassing fashion. And then came 808s. The hip hop heads and purists called him a sellout and wack, the soulja girls embraced it, but those singles off that did a lot of work. It's his worst era but it's important as a footnote in his career for sure. 06-08.

If I was gonna compare it to a Jigga album i'd compare it to Vol. 3. High points, rapper absolutely on top of the game, but a lackluster product.

This pretty much sums it up

why did I even bother watching this Elliot Wilson Breakfast Club interview?

Elliot currently arguing Drake is the best rapper in the game, best artist

also Kendrick doesn't count because "he isn't active"

#icant

On a lighter note, Yee says she has a ton of rappers hit her up consistently about getting Jay Electronica features.

Elliot is like a corny version of Esch. According to him Drake is the best rapper because he is the most popular rapper with the most hits. You can also tell he can't wait to laugh off Kendrick's next album when it doesn't go platinum; it could be a 10/10 and won't matter since it "doesn't matter to the culture." Illmatic, Tribe albums, and a ton of other classics that shaped "the culture" didn't outsell a host of corny 90s rap albums - does that mean they aren't influential?

He's a stan, not a journalist. You'll never hear him criticize Jay or Drake, or any major artist actually. His value is solely based on the access he receives from artists, and if he was criticizing artists he wouldn't receive said access. Most Drake fans I know we're disappointed by NWTS, the internet reaction also seemed way more mellow than it was for Take Care.

What is "the culture?" White chicks buying albums?

Esch

Banned
Going forward with the comparison between Graduation, Vol.3 and I Am... It's interesting to note the parallels. All of these albums were the followup to career changing albums from a commercial perspective (Late Registration, Vol. 2, and It Was Written). And all three of the albums had followups that were grasping for a sound with varying degrees of success; 808s, The Dynasty, Nastradamus. Going forward; they all managed to rebound from these missteps with albums that were acclaimed in sales, fanbase love, and critic shit; MBTDF, The Blueprint, Stillmatic.

Funny how things turn out.

Elliot is like a corny version of Esch. According to him Drake is the best rapper because he is the most popular rapper with the most hits. You can also tell he can't wait to laugh off Kendrick's next album when it doesn't go platinum; it could be a 10/10 and won't matter since it "doesn't matter to the culture." Illmatic, Tribe albums, and a ton of other classics that shaped "the culture" didn't outsell a host of corny 90s rap albums - does that mean they aren't influential?

Piss off, my style is nothing like Elliot Wilson's. I've never believed the best rapper is the one with the most hits/albums sold, period (if so I'd be a 2pac/Eminem stan). Nor do I stan things just because they're popular. Nor will I laugh off Kendrick falling off; i'll be quite sad about it actually. He's my favorite rapper out still and I actually purchased his album, unlike you. I don't have a problem with people saying Drake is the best rapper though; he's certainly earned it. The people love his shit. The albums sell. The critics give generally good reviews. Ain't nothing wrong with simply acknowledging that he's in the discussion. It's one thing to cheerlead based on sales/success, and it's another to bury your head in the sand and deny talent because someone's doing something you don't like and getting scrilla for it.

I don't even like Drake, and would generally support any rapper in a battle/"beef" against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom