• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

Elliot is like a corny version of Esch. According to him Drake is the best rapper because he is the most popular rapper with the most hits. You can also tell he can't wait to laugh off Kendrick's next album when it doesn't go platinum; it could be a 10/10 and won't matter since it "doesn't matter to the culture." Illmatic, Tribe albums, and a ton of other classics that shaped "the culture" didn't outsell a host of corny 90s rap albums - does that mean they aren't influential?

He's a stan, not a journalist. You'll never hear him criticize Jay or Drake, or any major artist actually. His value is solely based on the access he receives from artists, and if he was criticizing artists he wouldn't receive said access. Most Drake fans I know we're disappointed by NWTS, the internet reaction also seemed way more mellow than it was for Take Care.

What is "the culture?" White chicks buying albums?

it's gonna be open season on K Dot. can't wait.

Piss off, my style is nothing like Elliot Wilson's. I've never believed the best rapper is the one with the most hits/albums sold, period (if so I'd be a 2pac/Eminem stan). Nor do I stan things just because they're popular. Nor will I laugh off Kendrick falling off; i'll be quite sad about it actually. He's my favorite rapper out still and I actually purchased his album, unlike you. I don't have a problem with people saying Drake is the best rapper though; he's certainly earned it. The people love his shit. The albums sell. The critics give generally good reviews. Ain't nothing wrong with simply acknowledging that he's in the discussion. It's one thing to cheerlead based on sales/success, and it's another to bury your head in the sand and deny talent because someone's doing something you don't like and getting scrilla for it.

I don't even like Drake, and would generally support any rapper in a battle/"beef" against him.

lol breh you don't gotta catch feelings, I was giving you a compliment. He's a corny version of you, not the authentic one. The point being that while you constantly bring up hits and sales as a fall back for Jay stannery, at the end of the day you're still gonna look at things fair enough to admit when something is wack. MCHG, BP3...wack. Wilson would NEVER do that, and would instead point out both albums had hits and went platinum like that means they were good albums.

I'm telling yall, pray for Kendrick. The first new song he puts out is gonna inspire a bunch of shit ("not as good as Control/would be a low tier track on GKMC/he sold out/why is he rapping about x/etc"). He can't win. Luckily, fans can win because if he puts out a great album we get to eat regardless of how well it sells.

As I've said a million times, I think touring has really determined the direction of this album. If you watch his performances the only song that really gets the crowd to go insane is Maad City. I don't think the album will be 100% Maad City but I'd expect 3-4 tracks like that.

This is something Nas never understood IMO. You would think that after 20 years of touring he'd realize there are certain tracks that just get the crowd hype, and they just so happened to be legit great tracks. NY State of Mind makes crowds go crazy, as does If I Ruled The World, Street Dreams, Nas Is Like, Made You Look, etc. But his last three albums don't really have any tracks like that. Life Is Good is dope but are there any songs you'd want to hear live on there, outside of Locomotive? I wish Nas would go into the studio with the mindset of "ok, I need at least 3-4 tracks like Made You Look: shit that is hype, and gets the crowd going."

Esch

Banned
lol breh you don't gotta catch feelings, I was giving you a compliment. He's a corny version of you, not the authentic one. The point being that while you constantly bring up hits and sales as a fall back for Jay stannery, at the end of the day you're still gonna look at things fair enough to admit when something is wack. MCHG, BP3...wack. Wilson would NEVER do that, and would instead point out both albums had hits and went platinum like that means they were good albums.

Nah. My opinions, musical background, the way I look at things and writing style are nothing like his. foh. I bring up singles because I like them and they're fun to rock to (and to troll you), not because they're good because they're hit singles.

ijXmc5CVYQRUX.gif

Cheddahz

Banned
Going to go see X-Men this afternoon with a friend of mine, I'm hoping that it's better than the newest Spider Man was (because that movie was just pure crap)
I still love Flashing Lights.
One of my favorite Kanye songs ever. Too bad it's on the Kanye album that I disliked the most (yes, I prefer 808s)

smh @ calling Talib underrated. He has 1 classic album with another guy and 1 good/great album and the rest of that shit sucks.

I'm confused, did you just call Reflection Eternal wack? Also Quality is a dope album. I shit on Talib a LOT but even I admit he has some great material.

Eardrum is also good.

IrishNinja

Days of Future Past is some solid shit, good flick.

^yeah before we throw Kweli in the bushes i again need to remind people that Reflection Eternal with Hi-Tek was also high quality, and Quality wasn't bad. resume wise Mos has some nice early rawkus shit and aside from the classic that is Blackstar, id fight anyone saying his first solo shit isn't also a classic - Black on Both Sides is tight and makes you optimistic for his future albums, despite knowing most of them aren't good.

Esch

Banned

I'm confused, did you just call Reflection Eternal wack? Also Quality is a dope album. I shit on Talib a LOT but even I admit he has some great material.

Eardrum is also good.
Nah. I did forget about it though lmao. I think the rest of that shit is forgettable as hell though. Either way I wouldn't call him underrated; dude stays shining from Blackstar.

Tokubetsu

Yeah, never gave a shit for solo Talib even in the height of my backpack phase. He has some great tracks but the only full solo Talib project I could ever get behind completely was that joint with Madlib.

Detox

This is something Nas never understood IMO. You would think that after 20 years of touring he'd realize there are certain tracks that just get the crowd hype, and they just so happened to be legit great tracks. NY State of Mind makes crowds go crazy, as does If I Ruled The World, Street Dreams, Nas Is Like, Made You Look, etc. But his last three albums don't really have any tracks like that. Life Is Good is dope but are there any songs you'd want to hear live on there, outside of Locomotive? I wish Nas would go into the studio with the mindset of "ok, I need at least 3-4 tracks like Made You Look: shit that is hype, and gets the crowd going."
This man gets it. Nas always has to fall back on the same songs not because he doesn't have dope songs but between performing the current album he has to intersperse it wth the same crowd hyping songs.

If Nasty had a decent beat it would be an undeniable classic track. It's not bad, in fact I think it's a good track, but that beat just makes me ask WHY. It's the type of track Premo would do a remix of so we could forget the original (like that horrible Kanye song with Rakim/Nas/KRS).

The Don seems to be fine live, I'll admit.

Nas goes into album creations with purely narrative based focus. The beats, the features, everything else is secondary. The problem with that is that effectively any beat will work for him, it doesn't matter since he already knows what he's going to say. I hate that.

If I was Nas I'd gather as many producers as possible - Justice League, T-Minus, NoID, etc with Q-Tip exec producing - and challenge them for specific sounds. To do that he'd have to express a musical vision, not just a narrative one. From what I understand he had producers work together on the last album, to mix sounds...but the end result didn't really show that outside of a couple tracks.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If Nasty had a decent beat it would be an undeniable classic track. It's not bad, in fact I think it's a good track, but that beat just makes me ask WHY. It's the type of track Premo would do a remix of so we could forget the original (like that horrible Kanye song with Rakim/Nas/KRS).
Everything is wrong in this paragraph. Everything.

Whaat? The original Classic/Better Than I've Ever been by Kanye, KRS-One and Nas had an alright beat.

Preemo definitely had the better one though.

DominoKid

iOrSx68bvVIvm.gif

that track is hot breh.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Thanks for the welcome back y'all.

Saw x men tonight. Note to self, don't work a full day, go drinking for five hours, and then go to an 11pm showing. Passed out during the third act. Oh well. What I saw I enjoyed. Fuckass theater cut the movie halfway through the post credit scene though.

Whaat? The original Classic/Better Than I've Ever been by Kanye, KRS-One and Nas had an alright beat.

Preemo definitely had the better one though.

The version of Classic where Rakim comes first (The music video one) is superior to the one where Kanye comes first (The studio version)

Don't ask me why it works that way. It just does.

Maybe cause it's easier to ignore Kanye's verse.

Edit: the version I originally posted had kanye's verse cut out, which actually made it a much better song. I'll post that version too.

Classic Minus Kanye

Esch

Banned
If Nasty had a decent beat it would be an undeniable classic track. It's not bad, in fact I think it's a good track, but that beat just makes me ask WHY. It's the type of track Premo would do a remix of so we could forget the original (like that horrible Kanye song with Rakim/Nas/KRS)..

i5ciAQRVt1TCb.gif

Esch

Banned
I dont care so much about classic, im more talking about Nasty. Thats a great track for Nas; raw, strapped back. Lots of energy. Ill take that over any of the (boring) smoother tracks on Life is Good.

Thanks for the welcome back y'all.

Saw x men tonight. Note to self, don't work a full day, go drinking for five hours, and then go to an 11pm showing. Passed out during the third act. Oh well. What I saw I enjoyed. Fuckass theater cut the movie halfway through the post credit scene though.
Haha, I did the exact same. I have been working 12+ plus hours every day of the week

I dont care so much about classic, im more talking about Nasty. Thats a great track for Nas; raw, strapped back. Lots of energy. Ill take that over any of the (boring) smoother tracks on Life is Good.

I'm moreso trashing Salaam Remi than Nas. It's a damn good song, I just feel the beat needed to be changed.

effzee

I'm telling yall, pray for Kendrick. The first new song he puts out is gonna inspire a bunch of shit ("not as good as Control/would be a low tier track on GKMC/he sold out/why is he rapping about x/etc"). He can't win. Luckily, fans can win because if he puts out a great album we get to eat regardless of how well it sells.

As I've said a million times, I think touring has really determined the direction of this album. If you watch his performances the only song that really gets the crowd to go insane is Maad City. I don't think the album will be 100% Maad City but I'd expect 3-4 tracks like that.
"

Every artist had had to deal with that. With fame comes stupid ass criticism. Rap more like your first album. Say something new. Do something surprising again! People who only like the novelty of something won't like it but those who like his lyrical ability and how he uses it to create good songs will still love what he puts out (unless its completely whack).

As for Wilson, I don't blame. Look at the media industry overall. Artists are very picky who they talk to and how they are received. They see themselves above the standard media giants like mags, blogs, and commentators. They can put out their music in so many different ways, have so many different people praise it, and make money off of it all why would they bother going to talk to someone who actually criticizes their music?

PBY

Banned
Every artist had had to deal with that. With fame comes stupid ass criticism. Rap more like your first album. Say something new. Do something surprising again! People who only like the novelty of something won't like it but those who like his lyrical ability and how he uses it to create good songs will still love what he puts out (unless its completely whack).

As for Wilson, I don't blame. Look at the media industry overall. Artists are very picky who they talk to and how they are received. They see themselves above the standard media giants like mags, blogs, and commentators. They can put out their music in so many different ways, have so many different people praise it, and make money off of it all why would they bother going to talk to someone who actually criticizes their music?

Yup. sophomore albums are hard.

HiResDes

Deniro's latest starts off so fucking boring, only like two tracks that aren't...How the fuck are you wasting beats these good? He sounds less interested in this than usual.

Money Trees
Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst
Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe
m.A.A.d City
Swimming Pools
The Art of Peer Pressure
Backseat Freestyle
Everything Else

Pretty sure that's just the true list.

HiResDes

Any list with Swimming Pools and missing Cartoons and Cereal is fucked up. Sherane is also a great track IMO. Backseat Freestyle is overrated.

I've never really considered Cartoons & Cereal as part of GKMC even though I know it is, mainly because I have no idea where it would be placed in the album. If it did end up in GKMC it would definitely rank highly though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom