• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cadalack Ron on some suicidal shit now? Cry for attention? Both?

10255346_10202379568986786_922656305767331736_o.jpg

please tell me thats the font you use on your twitter

HiResDes

get your assumptions handled by supported arguments and resort to insults, brahs
You didn't though, recently Kanye has been employing numerous producers to manipulate tracks though they're not always explicitly credited, but on both Yeezus and Dark Fantasy examples of this are rampant.

Esch

Banned
Just checked it out.. man what the fuck.

Straight psycho shit. I made the mistake of watching a couple of his other videos and it made me sick. This is why I hate guns sometimes; they give weak mentally/spiritually broke ass punks like this the ability to ruin other peoples lives with their stupid bullshit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You didn't though, recently Kanye has been employing numerous producers to manipulate tracks though they're not always explicitly credited, but on both Yeezus and Dark Fantasy examples of this are rampant.
Then support your opinion with examples + evidence that their contributions are significant enough to warrant production credit outright.

From all we know about Yeezus + MBDTF sessions, we don't even know what the contributions of some of the people who actually were credited are.

Straight psycho shit. I made the mistake of watching a couple of his other videos and it made me sick. This is why I hate guns sometimes; they give weak mentally/spiritually broke ass punks like this the ability to ruin other peoples lives with their stupid bullshit.

I only saw one video of him talking in a car.. can you link me to the others?

CRS

The Santa Barbara killer videos? I think those were already taken down by YouTube but I'm sure there are copies floating around.

Pretty fucking disturbed being. This shit was basically happening in my backyard too.

CRS

Not even going to bother watching the videos. I haven't seen any and I'm going to keep it that way. Reading various articles on the matter is more than enough for me.

HiResDes

Then support your opinion with examples + evidence that their contributions are significant enough to warrant production credit outright.

From all we know about Yeezus + MBDTF sessions, we don't even know what the contributions of some of the people who actually were credited are.
I think Rick Rubin helped save Yeezus, but if you look at the list of collaborators on both albums it far exceeds the number of producers specifically accredited on each track

Esch

Banned
I think Rick Rubin helped save Yeezus, but if you look at the list of collaborators on both albums it far exceeds the number of producers specifically accredited on each track
Lets keep it real though. Take a look at songwriting credits/personnel on every Ye album. Theyre not short by any means, even if Yeezus was a pretty extreme example.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That's not really good evidence. Songs don't make the final cut, verses don't make the final cut, sounds/manipulations don't make the final cut, and it's fairly hard to deduce what out of little fragments of stuff we get in interviews (i.e. Mike Will talking about redoing drums on Mercy), but even then everyone is very hush hush. Not deserving of credit. You want Weeknd credited on Yeezus?

Tokubetsu

That's not really good evidence. Songs don't make the final cut, verses don't make the final cut, sounds/manipulations don't make the final cut, and it's fairly hard to deduce what out of little fragments of stuff we get in interviews (i.e. Mike Will talking about redoing drums on Mercy), but even then everyone is very hush hush. Not deserving of credit. You want Weeknd credited on Yeezus?

Shit look at the MBDTF credits. Pretty sure Kid Cudi and Dream worked on every single song but they're only credited on half or a third on them.

I can tell you what a lot of the dudes credited on Yeezus tracks did. You can straight up hear Arca's strings and vocal edits on Hold My Liquor and I'm In It. Listen to Hold My Liquor at 2:20. Then head over and listen to Feminine. That's the easiest example, but there are tons of his sound all over the track. They're dominate elements in both songs.

I can tell you what Gessafelstein did on Send It Up. I can tell you what HudMo did on virtually every track on the album. Yeah, there are a lot of dudes that are credited or uncredited and we have no idea what their role was...but that's definitely not the case for everyone. I'm In It might as well be an Arca/Evian Christ mashup.

Kanye has been throwing producers at tracks like kitchen sinks lately and I'm not really sure how anyone could deny that. It doesn't make his work bad, it doesn't mean his music has any less merit, but you do have to put it in a different context because of it. The biggest effect its had is Yeezus had zero staying power. All of the producers he used went on and made doper shit than him within the same calendar year using the same elements they brought to Yeezus.

Bass distortion on the drums in the new track is fire...rest of the song is whatever. I think if it were thought out a little bit more I'd be okay with it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kanye has been throwing producers at tracks like kitchen sinks lately and I'm not really sure how anyone could deny that. It doesn't make his work bad, it doesn't mean his music has any less merit, but you do have to put it in a different context because of it. The biggest effect its had is Yeezus had zero staying power. All of the producers he used went on and made doper shit than him within the same calendar year using the same elements they brought to Yeezus.
So what about MBDTF? Still heralded as a genre classic and has produced memorable songs in Ye's career, and was ultra collaborative as we know the MBDTF sessions were way more intense than the Yeezus ones. 5000 hours for Power, right?

I don't think you can draw a reliable relationship between Kanye's degree of collaboration vs. quality or influence or derivation any other sort of musical qualities either. Especially after this whole TCD anniversary thing and we got a more in depth look at what Ye's process was like then as well w/the Revolt feature and stuff.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
XXL Editors sit down with Ebro and Rosenberg. This is a really good hip-hop conversation.

They talk about the barometer of success being low in hip-hop, implications of hip-hop getting "old" for the first time, and what that means for critics in the genre, obligations for old editors to give credence to what youth think pops, the value of the "spectacle" MCs, etc. It's just a good conversation revolving around how you go about judging who's hot and who has potential and who doesn't.

EDIT: It evolves into a pretty good Chicago/NWA conversation as well.

XXL Editors sit down with Ebro and Rosenberg. This is a really good hip-hop conversation.

They talk about the barometer of success being low in hip-hop, implications of hip-hop getting "old" for the first time, and what that means for critics in the genre, obligations for old editors to give credence to what youth think pops, the value of the "spectacle" MCs, etc. It's just a good conversation revolving around how you go about judging who's hot and who has potential and who doesn't.

EDIT: It evolves into a pretty good Chicago/NWA conversation as well.

This is pretty good. I love frank the XXL editors are about the culture and their coverage. I'm halfway through it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Breakfast Club Interview with Steve Rifkind. This is also fantastic. Steve Rifkind is basically a five star label exec that is responsible for signing the Wu, Mobb Deep, Big Pun, Akon etc.

This guy's stories are awesome. From Big Pun not having time to pick up a 6 figure cheque to signing Mobb Deep off of them smoking blunts in the bathroom and making the alarms go off alone.

wtf @ this guy landing on so many hip-hop legends and signing them off of instinct

This is pretty good. I love frank the XXL editors are about the culture and their coverage. I'm halfway through it.
Do you play Marvel Puzzle Quest BTW? I think I've gotten bodied by someone with your same handle.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Steve Rifkin said he had a chance to sign Jay and he raised hell to try and make it happen but BMG didn't want to, wow. He nearly had Ruff Ryders and Irv in his pocket too. He would have owned residuals for half of NY hip-hop.

This guy is unbelievable. He really is almost a cartoon character or a movie villain, it's unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom