• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Speaking of angsty white rappers.

Just finished listening to the new Atmosphere and well, it finally happened. Slug got happy. Like, deeply happy and not the post Lemons-celebration and shout out record of their last album. Nope, he's now on some my lady love sings like a bird shit and talking about if we work together we can heal the world shit.

Needless to say, it's not a good album. When he's not trying to be the Dorky LLama, he's trying to sound angry, but sounds more like a dude who remembers that he was angry once upon a time, but can't remember what it was about.

2/10

I believe he has talked about this. He isnt the same dude anymore. He has a wife and kids and he can't write the same way anymore because he is at a point in his life where things are good and happy and it'd hard to reach back to that time when he was lonely, angry, fed up, and trying to figure shit out. I had a hard time adjusting to it with the last album which is why I didn't really like it. But it's not as jarring this time around and I'm enjoying this one more. I can't hate on him for being at a good place in his life, even if it means the atmosphere I loved is no more. I don't think slug has much longer in the music scene but if he wants to end on a positive note good for him. Plus Ants production is still immaculate.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I believe he has talked about this. He isnt the same dude anymore. He has a wife and kids and he can't write the same way anymore because he is at a point in his life where things are good and happy and it'd hard to reach back to that time when he was lonely, angry, fed up, and trying to figure shit out. I had a hard time adjusting to it with the last album which is why I didn't really like it. But it's not as jarring this time around and I'm enjoying this one more. I can't hate on him for being at a good place in his life, even if it means the atmosphere I loved is no more. I don't think slug has much longer in the music scene but if he wants to end on a positive note good for him. Plus Ants production is still immaculate.

Yeah, I mean, it's good that Em patched things up with Kim, stopped swallowing pills and his daughter graduated as prom queen. It's swell that Jay isn't slinging crack on a street corner and good for Slug for not being an alcoholic drifter any longer. You can't hate on people getting their shit together. You too Alanis.

But 9/10 it just doesn't make for good music. I think Atmosphere's last album was a celebration - more of a "we did it, thanks to my supporters" album. This is just rhyming nonsense words and talking about how when his girl opens her mouth all he hears is a bird's song. It's honestly great that he feels that way, and if I knew him personally, I'd be like "Man, dude is finally good." But I don't, and can only judge the musician and he's just making bad music.

You're right about Ant though.

PlayDat

Is that really Maya Angelou at the end of Dying of Thirst? I've read that in a couple places but don't see her credited in the booklet.

RIP either way.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
theshift1-450x450.jpg

Pro Era - The Shift EP. Who wants to test drive this?

XXL Freshmen: Jarren Benton. Lol

Waka Flocka Flame - Turn Down for What (Remix).

Raekwon ft. Akon - Call of Duty. This is the single for his next album lmfao can Rae do anything right in 2014?

50 trying to act tough after throwing that terrible pitch.

Really the beat and his flow on it arent that explicitly bad, it's the flashback from 2004 Akon inclusion and the Call of Duty theme to the whole track. It's call of duty, and you're a wu-tang member. just stop.

There's something to be said about Meth just not making music when he doesn't feel like and, if he's not happy with a project just saying...it didn't go the way I wanted it to go.

Esch

Banned
50 couldn't handle the harsh aggressive realities of throwing a pitch in an actual space full of audience members and content.

DominoKid

damn iggy azalea da hottest rapper in da game rite nah

It's a fab week for Iggy Azalea, who earns a chart honor not achieved since the Beatles swarmed the U.S. in early 1964. The Australian rapper crowns the Billboard Hot 100 with her debut hit "Fancy," featuring Charli XCX. As Azalea also rises 3-2 as the featured artist on Ariana Grande's "Problem," Azalea joins the Beatles as the only acts to rank at Nos. 1 and 2 simultaneously with their first two Hot 100 hits.

Can you even remember a song off of it? I've listened to all of the songs a few times over and couldn't tell you anything about them. The definition of forgettable.

I was moreso listening for production, and the live instrumentation sounded good on the one hip hop track (featuring a struggle verse from Rocky Fresh) and the others had interesting, more modern sounds; there's a track that could have been on SZA's latest project.

It made me cautiously optimistic for the Wu album.

Esch

Banned
I feel like Rockie Fresh was gonna be the new blogspot rapper mystically ascending to a major label with paid buzz and a carefully designed P4k project but Chance stole all his fire. Must not have buzzed hard enough.

I feel like Rockie Fresh was gonna be the new blogspot rapper mystically ascending to a major label with paid buzz and a carefully designed P4k project but Chance stole all his fire. Must not have buzzed hard enough.

You mean he refused to bang African children and sap the magic of success from their booty holes?

DominoKid

as a fan, Fresh doesn't have the it factor.

Chance doesn't have it either but his music is straight up P4K bait and he's got that A+ marketing team behind him.

Hellion

LMAO

First thing I thought of.

I really wonder what 50 is thinking about now. He could have played nice, teamed up with Dre and Jimmy, and just like the Vitamin Water deal could have received a significant portion of this sell.

Or what does lady gaga think? No...anyone

overcast

Brings up a good question, what the hell is coming out this year? To look forward to (we all know dope shit drops weekly). Any big or sort of big upcoming releases?

Something to generate some true shit talk man.

IrishNinja

Brings up a good question, what the hell is coming out this year? To look forward to (we all know dope shit drops weekly). Any big or sort of big upcoming releases?

A Better Tomorrow
Once Upon a Time in Shaolin
Muddy Waters 2
Crystal Meth
Liquid Swords 2
Act II: Patents of Nobility (The Turn)
Dre & Cube: Helter Skelter

IrishNinja

damn, ya'll just made my list look even better

k-dot is the highlight but what are ya'll really expecting from yeezy this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom