• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelseph

Featuring:
Tree, Blended Babies, Thelonious Martin, THEMpeople, Hippie Dream, The O’My’s, OnGaud, Smoko Ono, A Billion Young, BoatHouse, blackKat, Nico Segal aka Donnie Trumpet, Martin $ky, Odd Couple, JNeal, Saba, TMTHY TRTL, Doc Da Mindbenda.

big ander

Looking forward to this Lauren even tho across Fly shit and Brunch Meetings I've felt like he's best on features and can't entirely carry a release on his own.

This is okay-> Ghostface Killah ft BADBADNOTGOOD and Danny Brown - Six Degrees

what do people think of digable planets? Cause when Blowout Comb was reissued I grabbed both albums and liked Reachin', but I only now got around to Blowout Comb on a long drive and wasn't into it at all. I got what a lot of it was going for, just couldn't hold my attention. The jazz backing didn't seem "stripped down," just...boring. And maybe it was my speakers, but the vocals seemed buried in the mix a lot of the time for no discernible reason

Featuring:
Tree, Blended Babies, Thelonious Martin, THEMpeople, Hippie Dream, The O’My’s, OnGaud, Smoko Ono, A Billion Young, BoatHouse, blackKat, Nico Segal aka Donnie Trumpet, Martin $ky, Odd Couple, JNeal, Saba, TMTHY TRTL, Doc Da Mindbenda.
cool.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
took a break from some work to go grab lunch down the street and this shiny ass low-rider rolled by bumping westside connection's "Bow Down".

guess I know what I'll be listening to for the rest of the day.

Damn this IVRY tape is so fucking great definitely my favorite project released this year so far. Still in my rotation heavily especially in the whip dat summer music.

big ander

Diggable Planets possessed the best flow ever

Alright but how many raps do you really gotta do about how you're always walking through b-k-l-y-n I mean Crooklyn and how creamy smooth you are. Normally have a decent tolerance for that but I didn't with Blowout Comb. maybe it was the 30 hour drive.

I didn't find it unlistenable and thematically they're so on-point, which is why I wish I found it more compelling

Fuck man....if you know you can't get up there without embarrassing yourself, why even get up there. Such an unnecceassry L to take.

Seriously, it's not like they called you that morning and said, hey throw the opening pitch.

If he had tried to throw it from the mound all the way to the plate would be one thing, like that's embarrassing but yeah...it's not like it's easily done. This...smh, go play catch with your son or something to practice.

Esch

Banned
Alright but how many raps do you really gotta do about how you're always walking through b-k-l-y-n I mean Crooklyn and how creamy smooth you are.

about as many as how fly you are walking through harlem, or how dirty you are walking through queens.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
what do people think of digable planets? Cause when Blowout Comb was reissued I grabbed both albums and liked Reachin', but I only now got around to Blowout Comb on a long drive and wasn't into it at all. I got what a lot of it was going for, just couldn't hold my attention. The jazz backing didn't seem "stripped down," just...boring. And maybe it was my speakers, but the vocals seemed buried in the mix a lot of the time for no discernible reason

cool.

Blowout comb is a great album, it's just really hard to get into if you go straight from reachin' because it's such a different vibe. I hated it when it first came out because it didn't feel like the same sound I loved with reachin. Similar to how I felt about ATLiens. But also like ATLiens, when I came back to the album years later without expectations set by the prior album, I appreciated it way more.

big ander

Blowout comb is a great album, it's just really hard to get into if you go straight from reachin' because it's such a different vibe. I hated it when it first came out because it didn't feel like the same sound I loved with reachin. Similar to how I felt about ATLiens. But also like ATLiens, when I came back to the album years later without expectations set by the prior album, I appreciated it way more.

Ah alright I definitely pressed play looking for something like Reachin', so I'll come back to it in a week or two and see if I like it better

Esch

Banned
Damon Dash destroying Steve Stoute :scusthov:

jb0ktdi1Eq2Jre.png

Esch

Banned
The hatred I've seen spilled out at Steve Stoute from various sources all year is palpable. I'd say it's borderline Diddy levels of disgust.

IrishNinja

Diggable Planets possessed the best flow ever

yeah, bumped blowout comb last weekend and it clicked like it never did before

The people interested in it in the states are jumping through those hoops to play it, saves on publishing and stuff for the states. It wouldn't "blow up" proper with a mainstream crowd if it got a huge release. Or maybe they're playing it smart and waiting for next gen user base to grow and throw it on new consoles.

i kinda thought the latter, but then why not have your high-end F2P out during the drought? again, so much $ sitting on the table, i just don't get it.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
i kinda thought the latter, but then why not have your high-end F2P out during the drought? again, so much $ sitting on the table, i just don't get it.

it's also Sega breh, they were never blessed with an over abundance of smarts when it comes to business.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Looking forward to this Lauren even tho across Fly shit and Brunch Meetings I've felt like he's best on features and can't entirely carry a release on his own.

This is okay-> Ghostface Killah ft BADBADNOTGOOD and Danny Brown - Six Degrees

cool.

I want BBNG to drop another rap cover album, Its what I feel they do best. Also Danny Brown Should have at least one guest verse on the new Wu album. His whole swag fits with theirs so well

Also yeah Blowout Comb is some real afrocentric coffee house music, so don't worry that you didn't like it, it was a pretty pretentious album because at the point it came out digable planets were basically just pretentious kufi rappers. Think of it as Miles Davis in his hard Bop Bitches Brew Stage

damn man why even go up there if no one has shown you how to throw a baseball before..... I Still like 50 but he is trying to hard.

I fuck with Dame because he use to be great and he was done wrong by Jay and hasn't recovered. However, man I'm not taking afrocentric business lessons from a guy smoking a blunt in the first scene. Dame would of rebounded by now if he just got away from the "trying to be cool" Hip Hop scene and publicly just focused on his image as a business man. Just like Stoute. But every interview Dame is in he's high or getting high. smh

Also, Dame while being a good business man shitted on everyone outside of his immediate team. Dame is just as much a wolf as steve stoute is a snake. While they hunt diffrently in the end they are both looking at artist as something to eat.

PlayDat

Can anyone here offer some insight as to why certain songs get sampled over and over again? Probably not anything new to most of ya'll, but I just discovered Long Red by Mountain a few minutes ago. The lead singer shouts "Yeah" in the first 30 seconds of the song. I've heard that "yeah" in a ton of songs over the years but only just recently took notice of it.

It first stuck out to me when I was listening to Section.80 a couple nights ago. It's used in Keisha's Song. I'm sure I've heard that album at least a few dozen times since 2011 but this time my mind jumped to when I heard the same sample in Chain Smoker on Acid Rap. Then less than an hour ago I noticed it on It Ain't Hard to Tell.

I just got done listening to the full Long Red song a few minutes ago. It's actually kinda tight, but I don't see what it is about that shout that would make the song so rich for sampling. Why did it become so common in hip hop beats when other similar songs from that era didn't?

Tokubetsu

Can anyone here offer some insight as to why certain songs get sampled over and over again? Probably not anything new to most of ya'll, but I just discovered Long Red by Mountain a few minutes ago. The lead singer shouts "Yeah" in the first 30 seconds of the song. I've heard that "yeah" in a ton of songs over the years but only just recently took notice of it.

It first stuck out to me when I was listening to Section.80 a couple nights ago. It's used in Keisha's Song. I'm sure I've heard that album at least a few dozen times since 2011 but this time my mind jumped to when I heard the same sample in Chain Smoker on Acid Rap. Then less than an hour ago I noticed it on It Ain't Hard to Tell.

I just got done listening to the full Long Red song a few minutes ago. It's actually kinda tight, but I don't see what it is about that shout that would make the song so rich for sampling. Why did it become so common in hip hop beats when other similar songs from that era didn't?

Same reason some rock bands will throw in a really recognizable bit in a guitar solo or such. It's iconic.

CRS

Because that cut is a classic. It's not just the vocals that got sampled but the classic breakbeat that came from the drums.

Man, I wish I had my records with me to listen to it now.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Speaking of angsty white rappers.

Just finished listening to the new Atmosphere and well, it finally happened. Slug got happy. Like, deeply happy and not the post Lemons-celebration and shout out record of their last album. Nope, he's now on some my lady love sings like a bird shit and talking about if we work together we can heal the world shit.

Needless to say, it's not a good album. When he's not trying to be the Dorky LLama, he's trying to sound angry, but sounds more like a dude who remembers that he was angry once upon a time, but can't remember what it was about.

2/10

Esch

Banned
I fuck with Dame because he use to be great and he was done wrong by Jay and hasn't recovered. However, man I'm not taking afrocentric business lessons from a guy smoking a blunt in the first scene. Dame would of rebounded by now if he just got away from the "trying to be cool" Hip Hop scene and publicly just focused on his image as a business man. Just like Stoute. But every interview Dame is in he's high or getting high. smh

Also, Dame while being a good business man shitted on everyone outside of his immediate team. Dame is just as much a wolf as steve stoute is a snake. While they hunt diffrently in the end they are both looking at artist as something to eat.

Yea, exactly. Take a look at everyone he's been with. He even managed to get Curren$y pissed off. I respect that he runs up in exec offices and screams on people, which is more than most 'execs' in hip hop ever did for their artist, but he's not a 'good guy' himself; see the back and forth between him and Beans re: State Property and the money he was making with those things. He was doing a lot of shifty shit on the side with those investments and all that. Plus I think this whole not being able to work with white people thing is a little disingenuous. White/jewish artist infrastructure from helped grow the genre, as parasitic as it could be. You think dudes in the south would have been bumping Vol.3 without the distro from Def Jam, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom