• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macca

CountBlackule
v2NZ8Up.gif

IrishNinja

@Dom

i mean...i dug Yeezus, but those recent interviews, kim wedding etc...feels like another schitzo mess on deck like MBDTF which some of ya'll might be happy with i guess

i'm kinda expecting one long track of UH HUH HONEY type shit that says disparaging shit about tall israelis when played backwards

Just saw the Steve Rifkind interview on Breakfast Club. I've always liked Rifkind, he really seems like one of very few calm execs of that 90s era. Puff, Dame, Irv, etc were always bombastic and in your face; I've heard Lyor Cohen was somewhat like that too. Plus unlike most of the guys I just named, Rifkind's former artists still have good things to say about him today.

The comment on the lack of NY labels today got me thinking. Wouldn't it make sense for some type of indie label to pop up in NY and snatch up someone like Bronson (before he signed with Warner) or Flatbush Zombies and just print money with merch, limited run vinyl, etc? Basically an east coast Stone's Throw. You're never going to sell a ton of records or get radio hits, but you don't really need that stuff anymore when you consider how cheap you can do a variety of things today (digital music vs pressing CDs).

Obviously Fool's Gold is in Brooklyn but they aren't really a "hip hop" label. If I had the money, or more generous/gullible parents, I'd consider taking a risk like that. Go to NY, try to establish myself in some capacity, and then after a few months of introductions pull the "hey I'm starting an indie label" card and see where it goes.

IrishNinja

i see what you're saying PD
as someone who has scene people pay high prices for DOOM lunchboxes, can't help but feel there's money on the table there

PBY

Banned
i see what you're saying PD
as someone who has scene people pay high prices for DOOM lunchboxes, can't help but feel there's money on the table there

I agree- the one drawback I see is I wonder if rap fans will go to shows/buy vinyl in the way fans of other genre's will. Feel like C-tier rap is always super hit or miss live, and crowds/fans know this.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Yeah, I mean, it's good that Em patched things up with Kim, stopped swallowing pills and his daughter graduated as prom queen. It's swell that Jay isn't slinging crack on a street corner and good for Slug for not being an alcoholic drifter any longer. You can't hate on people getting their shit together. You too Alanis.

But 9/10 it just doesn't make for good music. I think Atmosphere's last album was a celebration - more of a "we did it, thanks to my supporters" album. This is just rhyming nonsense words and talking about how when his girl opens her mouth all he hears is a bird's song. It's honestly great that he feels that way, and if I knew him personally, I'd be like "Man, dude is finally good." But I don't, and can only judge the musician and he's just making bad music.

You're right about Ant though.

True, there was definitely something off about his lyrics that I couldn't quite put my finger on until you said that. He still has his moments but I used to feel like every other line was a quotable. Now I struggle to even remember what was said right after.

So the beats deal went through? Does that mean another round of vaguely racist comments from gaffers and the internet in general? Not to mention the hysterical I hate beats crowd? I mean I get it, they aren't amazing headphones. But people act like every time you put a pair on, dre himself pops out of the headphone and slams his dick into your ear while grunting the hook from let me ride. They are decent headphones that nobody would have a problem with if they weren't so popular and if they cost about a third less.

I agree- the one drawback I see is I wonder if rap fans will go to shows/buy vinyl in the way fans of other genre's will. Feel like C-tier rap is always super hit or miss live, and crowds/fans know this.

Rap fans already buy vinyl. Czarface was a big success independently last year for instance, and they're releasing a sequel this year. This is something MOST older artists don't seem to understand: if you put out a decent product with good art and vinyl, you'll make a profit. Most of the Wu doesn't get this, which is baffling to me. Take Meth, Rae, or Ghost...do an album with Alchemist, release a limited vinyl with dope ass art alongside the traditional iTunes release, and you're set. The audience already exists, you just have to give them a reason to support you.

You'll never go platinum this way but you'll make dough. Best believe Freddie Gibbs is caking off the 15-25k albums he has sold of Pinata so far.

cdyhybrid

So the beats deal went through? Does that mean another round of vaguely racist comments from gaffers and the internet in general? Not to mention the hysterical I hate beats crowd? I mean I get it, they aren't amazing headphones. But people act like every time you put a pair on, dre himself pops out of the headphone and slams his dick into your ear while grunting the hook from let me ride. They are decent headphones that nobody would have a problem with if they weren't so popular and if they cost about a third less.

I'm guessing you missed the thread where a poster stated that a lot of people in the hip-hop/urban community are bad at business.

siddx

I'm guessing you missed the thread where a poster stated that a lot of people in the hip-hop/urban community are bad at business.

Lol I have been avoiding ot for the most part. Anytime I go there looking for news on new events I spot at least a half dozen threads that make me want to set people on fire. A girl touched me gaf! What do I dooooooooo!????

Lol I have been avoiding ot for the most part. Anytime I go there looking for news on new events I spot at least a half dozen threads that make me want to set people on fire. A girl touched me gaf! What do I dooooooooo!????

The ot is a den of betas and left-wing circle jerking so nauseating the thread titles themselves should be censored.
woah I almost took it to their level that time

I forgot who recommended the Movement EP and Jae Smoove's No. Not. Never. a week or two back but thanks, they're pretty good.

IrishNinja

^esh dont be mad, UPS is hirin, ya boy might make a billie one day too

i don't know form nerdcore. ive had people play mc frontalot, coulton, MC chris etc and a couple tracks seemed keen but i don't think i could do a whole album of it. i mean, the dudes who did are the kind who buy weird al box sets & richard cheese type shit. i'm not one to judge like other gafhoppers but there's no getting around a 10th dan herb

siddx

Well I AM one to judge. Enjoying nerdcore might indicate you have a brain tumor.

Esch

Banned
nerdcore : hip hop = happy hardcore : electronic music

if there is something objectively bad in the universe, that just might be it

Cheddahz

Banned
bumpin' this plug session (which is brought to you by beat by dre, a division of apple)

tumblr_m24mcc79uD1r3gup8o1_r1_500.gif

DominoKid

French should take the Wiz approach w/ his output.

1 dope tape (preferably all prod by Fraud) to make up for his inevitably sorry album.

It worked up until this Trap Wiz garbage.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh shit lmao

link?
I posted it in either this GAF-hop thread or the previous one, but basically Madlib said he was uncomfortable with Ye putting his name on his beats. He never completed his thought cause he said he already said too much.

That Kanye video seems more recent though.

Courage

I posted it in either this GAF-hop thread or the previous one, but basically Madlib said he was uncomfortable with Ye putting his name on his beats. He never completed his thought cause he said he already said too much.

That Kanye video seems more recent though.

I hope they can resolve stupid stuff like that and seriously get in the studio together. This is the best thing we're gonna get with Dilla not here.

I remember this, it was around the time Cocaine Pinata came out.

At one point there was talk of you working with Kanye?

I don’t know what happened. Maybe he didn’t wanna pay my fee, or maybe he didn’t wanna go in that direction. Probably the money thing, he wanted to put his name on my— I actually don’t wanna talk about that. A lot of people record over my music and it don’t come out.

Grantland: Madlib Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom