• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
The riff raff obsession is just too strange. I mean he's a more competent rapper than gucci or future of any of those paint by numbers rappers...but just barely. But hey if gafhop is going to stan a gimmick rapper I'd rather it be riff raff than lil b.
Plus Neato was catchy.

First, I'm offended by you saying he is more competent than Gucci. But we ain't going to get into that.

2nd, I think you actually should give it a listen. This actually might be like the biggest surprise for me in the past 4 years in terms of music, because everything before this I've heard from Riff Raff is like offbeat rapping like crazy and this shit is almost the exact opposite of that. I mean his rapping is technically the same, but a lot more polished and enjoyable.

Plus, Thabiz said he fucks with it

Edit: Huh.....

Hold up hold up hold the fuck up. Anyone listen to Riff Raff voice on the How to be the Man remix? If he wasn't using his typical flow I would have thought it was someone else. Actually, I DID think it was someone else, I had to double check it was him.

Hold up hold up hold the fuck up. Anyone listen to Riff Raff voice on the How to be the Man remix? If he wasn't using his typical flow I would have thought it was someone else. Actually, I DID think it was someone else, I had to double check it was him.

yeah it sounds like they chopped and screwed his voice, but i guess he just made it deeper. dude fit right in after slim thug.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Ill check it out for diplo beats. I dont have a problem with riff raff's rapping, it's more that everything I've heard from him has been gimmicky and silly. It was like listening to a lonely island song, it's entertaining but once is enough for me. But if I have that garbage ass animal ambition a chance I can give the riff raff album a chance.

A gentleman always has Curren$y in his rotation. Welcome.

inlYbM4Vgnmeh.gif

Thanks! And yeah, this Neon Icon is surprisingly dope. Even something that should be bad/corny like Time, just seems to work. Riff Raff just dropped a better album than schoolboy q, that's blowing my mind.

mooooose

Thanks! And yeah, this Neon Icon is surprisingly dope. Even something that should be bad/corny like Time, just seems to work. Riff Raff just dropped a better album than schoolboy q, that's blowing my mind.
marginally better, and q's album has a song better than both albums (break the bank)

overcast

I think it's just okay. Not super into it. Seems like he could drop an album that's better, but it's not like I expected more from Riff.

So he changed his tune and started telling people he was the king of the city and bringing New York back, because people seemed to give a fuck about him whenever he told people he was the king of the city and bringing New York back. This leads me to a pro tip: If you’ve got to tell everyone you’re the king of something, you are probably not the king of that thing.

I said the same thing about TI

Esch

Banned

Lots of reaction around the net to this article including Troy Ave himself and Rosenberg, so I decided to read it even though there are more important things to think about, like how my diet impacts the smell of my farts.

And you know what? There's some typical Noisey bullshit in this article. The description of Troy Ave and his position in the rap game is pretty spot on, but some of the accessory comments on the game and certain rappers is questionable. You can tell this dude misses plenty of the finer points of rap when he mentions the 'uniqueness' of A$AP Mob and Coke Boys, and how they're putting on for NY. That's so laughable, I don't even know where to start... Since we know that A$AP Mob jacked most of their steez from a certain gang of dudes in Florida and more than half of the current Coke Boys output is written in a southern style and done over southern music. For every wavy more 'original' song they make, there's 2 generic trap joints. And TBQH, some of these rappers he compares Troy Ave to are a cut above Troy in various ways. Like Saigon isn't that bad. He's pretty generic but he has some limited enjoyable material in the first half of the 00s. Even Papoose is a technically impressive rapper, hilariously bad punchlines and being a hoe aside. Say what you want about him being garbage, but he can rap on an order better than Troy Ave, who's the most porridge ass unremarkable rapper in the universe.

And I don't like his off the cuff comment about Bleek either.

codhand

VIP To My Heart is better than any song on the last Daft Punk album, and Mac Miller finally found a feature slot that doesn't ruin a song completely.

Lots of reaction around the net to this article including Troy Ave himself and Rosenberg, so I decided to read it even though there are more important things to think about, like how my diet impacts the smell of my farts.

And you know what? There's some typical Noisey bullshit in this article. The description of Troy Ave and his position in the rap game is pretty spot on, but some of the accessory comments on the game and certain rappers is questionable. You can tell this dude misses plenty of the finer points of rap when he mentions the 'uniqueness' of A$AP Mob and Coke Boys, and how they're putting on for NY. That's so laughable, I don't even know where to start... Since we know that A$AP Mob jacked most of their steez from a certain gang of dudes in Florida and more than half of the current Coke Boys output is written in a southern style and done over southern music. For every wavy more 'original' song they make, there's 2 generic trap joints. And TBQH, some of these rappers he compares Troy Ave to are a cut above Troy in various ways. Like Saigon isn't that bad. He's pretty generic but he has some limited enjoyable material in the first half of the 00s. Even Papoose is a technically impressive rapper, hilariously bad punchlines and being a hoe aside. Say what you want about him being garbage, but he can rap on an order better than Troy Ave, who's the most porridge ass unremarkable rapper in the universe.

And I don't like his off the cuff comment about Bleek either.

While A$AP Mob doesn't sound like NY, they definitely look and act like Harlem. Because of that I tend to give them a pass. But you're right, they don't sound like NY (even though Shabba sounds like a NY record to me).

Personally I think Saigon and Papoose are trash 90% of the time so I was fine with the comparison. The problem with both is the problem most NY rappers have: they can't make good records. Both struggle with writing songs of any worth, although every now and then they succeed. I'm still shocked Saigon couldn't even put together a decent album with those Just Blaze beats.

Likewise Troy Ave doesn't have that one record, as I said earlier. Dude is completely bland and I refuse to believe any labels are trying to give him decent money. Dude is going to fuck around and end up like Joey Badass, who turned down some good deals aiming for 2mil and now won't get anything.

IrishNinja

is that what happened to joey?
also MK8 looks tight but im kinda broke, gonna wait for a 2 for 1 on that and pikmin 3

... Since we know that A$AP Mob jacked most of their steez from a certain gang of dudes in Florida

didn't really fuck with A$AP, who's this referring to?

Esch

Banned
While A$AP Mob doesn't sound like NY, they definitely look and act like Harlem. Because of that I tend to give them a pass. But you're right, they don't sound like NY (even though Shabba sounds like a NY record to me).
No, they look and act like Raider Klan which isn't "Harlem". Need I remind you of this?

Personally I think Saigon and Papoose are trash 90% of the time so I was fine with the comparison. The problem with both is the problem most NY rappers have: they can't make good records. Both struggle with writing songs of any worth, although every now and then they succeed. I'm still shocked Saigon couldn't even put together a decent album with those Just Blaze beats.
Papoose is all garbage full stop as an actual maker of songs, but some of early Saigon isn't that bad. Compared to most of what was out back then Da Yardfather is a pretty straight tape. 4 mics.

IrishNinja

yeah cast that's a good deal, just a stickler for physical discs when i can get em

Whenever it became too expensive for anyone to live there except the bourgeoisie and those above them

RIP san fran's scene too then
well, most of what i liked from there was oakland anyway come to think of it

Esch

Banned
The sons of the upper middle class don't make good rap. They go to school, play sports, or do after school activities. They live highly ordered lives. They don't spend their time on the streets getting life experience or honing their skills in battles.

Nitsuj23

The sons of the upper middle class don't make good rap. They go to school, play sports, or do after school activities. They live highly ordered lives. They don't spend their time on the streets getting life experience or honing their skills in battles.

Us lower middle class folk can spit doe!

No, they look and act like Raider Klan which isn't "Harlem". Need I remind you of this?

Papoose is all garbage full stop as an actual maker of songs, but some of early Saigon isn't that bad. Compared to most of what was out back then Da Yardfather is a pretty straight tape. 4 mics.

The point is that Harlem is outrageous, and ASAP is outrageous. If they were from Brooklyn or Queens sure I'd find it suspect, but even that video doesn't convince me of anything. If you told me they ate da poo poo I'd believe that too because again, they're from Harlem.

Esch

Banned
The point is that Harlem is outrageous, and ASAP is outrageous. If they were from Brooklyn or Queens sure I'd find it suspect, but even that video doesn't convince me of anything. If you told me they ate da poo poo I'd believe that too because again, they're from Harlem.

I'm not sure why Harlemites are exempt from swaggeurjacking in your head but i'm gonna file this away in my database the next time you accuse someone of it

jAz53V0YMXcqz.png

I'm not sure why Harlemites are exempt from swaggeurjacking in your head but i'm gonna file this away in my database the next time you accuse someone of it

jAz53V0YMXcqz.png
They're so over the top nothing they do seems out of bounds or jacked. It's just how they be, breh.

Esch

Banned
They're so over the top nothing they do seems out of bounds or jacked. It's just how they be, breh.

Stop it.

Rocky and Ferg were making J.Cole style music about getting high and chilling with girls, then all of a sudden Rocky links up with Spaceghost, he comes back to New York talking that kvlt shit, black fingernails, music's dark all of a sudden, hes got gold teeth?

I don't think it matters, but the idea that A$AP mob is 'putting on for NYC' and succeeds because they 'innovate' is kinda hilarious. They took the Klvn's shit, packaged it up nicer and ran with it with middling success. I'll acknowledge that Ferg's sound and style seems more unique now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom