• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecurbj

I know this has been talked about months ago but I wasn't logged in to read through the thread at the time.

Is Danny Brown's Old album worth listening to?

ab-soul-these-days.jpg

June 24th.

Stigmata Video

overcast

Time is amusing, but for like.. 20 seconds. Shouldn't have wasted an album cut on that. There are some great tracks on there though.

Oh shit, Riff says "balling like Q-Rich" haha. I added Dolce and Gabbanna on my version.

overcast

im going to give neon icon 9 esch's outta 13. dont count skits. fuck you.
Hmm possibly. Even then, Esch scale is flawed. If the song is above average then I will count it, sometimes a bunch of above average songs won't cut it. There aren't a lot of cuts from this album I consider great. A few for sure, and it's good, I just haven't figured out how much.

Better than it should be.

Using part of someone else's verses or chorus for your chorus is one thing. Jacking complete bars and lyrics from other people - you know, like Jay - is jacking. Everyone borrows shit, but I get the impression Jay knows that most people aren't familiar with the stuff he bites. Well, bit. Now he's 100% authentic lyrically, it's all his...and we see how that has turned out.
xua8Y6G.png

Cheddahz

Banned
-told count that he's the only one excited for the new ab-soul
-he basically tells me that i don't have an opinion, since i have a wii u
-i kinda laugh my ass off

overcast

Esch scale is simply a diagnostic tool. It's not an album 'rating' scale.
I feel you, just stating my opinion. If it hits a good number that makes it solid. Doesn't have to be perfectly great throughout to be a classic IMO. Can't have a lot of misses though.

Detox

When I listen to the legends being interviewed on Juan Epstein or combat jack they always mention NY's battle scene. Whether it's the competitions where many kings of NY were found or Ruff Ryders or Murder Inc running up on cats during their video shoot just to prove they were better than them. Nowadays I don't think there is one battle rapper who can make the transition into songwriting and crafting an album.

Tokubetsu

Gonna eat well off this Ab-Soul meal later this month. Let's say grace.

Don't worry blackule, me and you riding for Soulo and tha'ts okay.

Time is amusing, but for like.. 20 seconds. Shouldn't have wasted an album cut on that. There are some great tracks on there though.

Oh shit, Riff says "balling like Q-Rich" haha. I added Dolce and Gabbanna on my version.

Times got great lyrics. I say that unironically too.

Also best Jody one liner is "she was holding my schlong doing a handstand, hey Julia stiles save the last dance"

Anyways I hope ab soil project is good

Edit: lmao autocorrect

overcast

Times got great lyrics. I say that unironically too.

Also best Jody one liner is "she was holding my schlong doing a handstand, hey Julia stiles save the last dance"

Anyways I hope ab soil project is good

Edit: lmao autocorrect
I guessssss. Lol. That's a great line. "Step in the club smell like powerade" was great.

Ab-Soul project won't be as bad as I'm thinking I hope.

Oxymoron hate is so overblown. Insane. And it's barely in my top 10 this year. Gets more hate than YG and Rozay. And even if your prefer those, they are all similar tier wise. Naw, Mastermind is just a 4-5/10 album straight up, insulting Q.

Also, which beer do I grab at Baron's? Beer thread moves slow. Help GAF-Hop.

I guessssss. Lol. That's a great line. "Step in the club smell like powerade" was great.

Ab-Soul project won't be as bad as I'm thinking I hope.

Oxymoron hate is so overblown. Insane. And it's barely in my top 10 this year. Gets more hate than YG and Rozay. And even if your prefer those, they are all similar tier wise. Naw, Mastermind is just a 4-5/10 album straight up, insulting Q.

Also, which beer do I grab at Baron's? Beer thread moves slow. Help GAF-Hop.

Oxy was dope to me better than a lot of the albums I've heard this year and I'm looking forward to Soulo's project.

IrishNinja

what were the details of the esh scale again?

also, normally i dig taking shots on jigga-man but again, yeah he's using entire bars but its from such well known shit that you gotta be casual as fuck to think it's his...it may go on longer than it should but it always struck me as a nod. point is though, he purposely chose super iconic bars from the greats.

dip dip dive
so so-cialize
clean out your ears, open up your eyes

^if i recall that shit goes back to either bronx or queens in the park, and gets credited to grandmaster flash/etc cause early rhyming was about as safely copywritten as early blues. how many artists threw it out there throughout the 80s/90s/etc? if i had to, i could prolly come up with 10 without too much trouble. anyway, shit's kinda cumulative, it only strikes me as biting if it's not an obvious nod.

Esch

Banned
what were the details of the esh scale again?

No details, this is a free market troll economy.

But seriously, it's just something that I brought up because a lot of albums that are in that good-average range are adversely affected by consistency of songs throughout the listen. Even if an album has some super super high points, what's the point if the rest of it is dreck, nahmean. Also it's just a fun way to give a proportion of what you liked off an album and didn't. Rating scales for art are pointless and stupid. It's not that serious.

Versace Python is still dope.

That is all.

From that original freestyle video featuring an actual python and Riff sniffing coke on camera, I knew the song would be fire. Final version did not disappoint.

So many quotables on this album, damn.

"I could freestyle to a dolphin and a tambourine."
"My shoelaces iguana."
"I'm dyslexic, in the four door mango Lexus."
"The white Gucci Mane with a spray tan."

Tokubetsu

The best thing Charles Hamilton ever did was Press C but at the end of the day it's still some Sega/Sonic fuckery so this post might self destruct in a minute. /no irishninja

mc4Ga9G.gif

I can't believe they announced this EP back in September 2012 and it took this fucking long for the song to release. Mos still got it.
mc4Ga9G.gif

Was channel surfing with my mom tonight and stumbled upon a Nas interview with Charlie Rose on PBS, anyone else watch it?

He was asked about rappers he considers kings and he replied Kendrick, Drake and J.Cole. Rose asked "Drake?" and he just nodded hahaha

I think my mom joined team Nas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom