• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if 50s music is irrelevant. I still really enjoy most of his interviews.

That skit was hilarious. I hate that 50 is still super fun about shit and makes terrible music.

Esch

Banned
Damon Dash on the Combat Jack Show

I'm about to eat off this fuckery

iGQGAYoo0XhB0.gif

Esch

Banned
Man, Dame full of bullshit in this interview (i'm a street n199a, i dont hold money i give it back to the streets
3w2MWDX.png
) but Combat Jack is a true dude. Respect for dude for shouting out Chuck D like that.

big ander

Anyone else listen to to the Shots Fired Fired podcast? Never posted about it before, but I think a lot of folks would enjoy it. Nocando, Jeff Weiss, and usually a guest every week. Some topic only episodes but I like those. Vibe is a lot like GAF-Hop in general tbh, laid back, some nerdery, and a lot of general fuckery. Some episodes that might go over well here:

Ratking
Qbert
Isaiah Rashad
El-P
Ty$
Peanut Butter Wolf
Roc Marciano
On Jay-Z
Bonobo
On Battle Rap w/ Dizaster and Cadalack Ron
oh damn I didn't realize this kept going after it left earwolf. Cool.

overcast

I'm gonna keep it real, if he wasn't a TDE affiliate someone and just the bandcamp artist that he sounds like trying to come up, someone like PhoenixDark would probably have ignored or passed on him, because he really isn't memorable enough so far to make it on his own. The only person who i can see as REALLY being honest about how much they like him is HiResDes because he'll fuck with soundcloud tier artists based on their merit.

But for me, enzo is right; couple of cool songs, but the lion's share is forgettable.
Most probably wouldn't have listened to him. Still people didn't give him a fair shake initialy (including me, I just didn't listen to it for a few months). Oxymoron and Ab-Soul have been made fun of around here for the whole year, so it was looking like Cilvia Demo was going to be super forgettable. And of course Bandcamp artists get ignored often, promotion/label will always have affect on what we listen to. You can say the same thing about plenty of artists.

Don't know why it's so difficult to see that it's an enjoyable album. It has highly relatable themes, a laid back feeling and great production. Doesn't exactly puzzle me. It is just an album that is easy to like, which isn't a great thing for everyone.

Esch

Banned
Don't know why it's so difficult to see that it's an enjoyable album. It has highly relatable themes, a laid back feeling and great production. Doesn't exactly puzzle me. It is just an album that is easy to like, which isn't a great thing for everyone.

For you, it is. For me, I listen to Isaiah Rashad rap and i hear and feel nothing. It's white noise, just for me. I don't find him interesting lyrically, and he doesn't have a voice or delivery or flow that stands out. Good on him for swooping up some beats and theming a project cohesively, but he's a rapper; he needs to give me SOMETHING to work with on the mic for me to consider his shit top 5 of the year. This has been a dry year so far so I could see top 10. It's enjoyable enough in a disposable way.

I'm gonna keep it real, if he wasn't a TDE affiliate someone and just the bandcamp artist that he sounds like trying to come up, someone like PhoenixDark would probably have ignored or passed on him, because he really isn't memorable enough so far to make it on his own. The only person who i can see as REALLY being honest about how much they like him is HiResDes because he'll fuck with soundcloud tier artists based on their merit.

But for me, enzo is right; couple of cool songs, but the lion's share is forgettable.

I enjoy it as background noise. But I tend to be very meh on it when I have a sit down with it.

Basically, it's aite.

HiResDes

I'm definitely wit Danny on the feature shit. I mean let's be real an A$AP Mob album ain't exactly high art and you know his verse was at least better than Nast and twelvy. Cilvia Demo has a great vibe throughout and I absolutely love the concept of the tracks, some of the adlibs, and of course the production. I like it for all of the same reasons I think A Sucker For Pumps is a classic. Rashad definitely got his own lane in TDE. He almost has a southern vibe to some of his inflections too that makes him sound dope.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I really like Rashad as an MC actually, for the same reasons. I like that raspy, loose flow. He kills it on Shot You Down and RIP Kevin Miler.

Yeah, I really like Rashad as an MC actually, for the same reasons. I like that raspy, loose flow. He kills it on Shot You Down and RIP Kevin Miler.

Yup plus I love the hunger he has tracks like Banana he's very dope for someone at this stage of his career and the fact he has that southern vibe/flow adds to his uniqueness I'm looking forward to his future projects.

Rashad also has a deep understanding of getting into the groove or "pocket" of his production. Cilvia is full of him switching up and experimenting with his flow, finding different ways to fit a melody or bar into the production. In that sense it reminds me of Pinata, where Gibbs just puts on a rapping clinic with respect to finding the pockets of production.

Cilvia isn't perfect, and tbh that's one of the things that excites me the most. You can just tell his next project is going to be special. He even says it on one of the tracks: just wait until I get this shit perfect.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How is this Troy Ave verse alright yet Cilvia Demo has maximum three good songs?
Troy Ave has more charisma in that verse than all of the shitty songs on Cilvia Demo combined.

We've already talked way too much about Cilvia Demo, and I pretty much say the same exact thing every time it gets brought up, but it really is unremarkable. That's the perfect word for it, unremarkable. At it's height, it's okay. Yeah he has a decent ear for production (I wouldn't say good) but he chose so many similar sounding beats that it becomes solely a background music album for me. As an MC, he doesn't seem to bring enough novelty to the table to elevate those beats to something great as a song, it could be anyone else mumbling over those beats for me, except for those 2-3 songs maximum that have some more memorable flows that give me the full package (RIP Kevin Miller & Cilvia Demo are my two). In addition to his mic presence, his character as an artist is lacking identity. If a no-name MC hit me up on the street in 2006 and told me to check out his tape, I would expect it to sound exactly like Cilvia Demo.

Altogether, the question "why should I care about Isaiah Rashad?" is really hard to answer right now. And him being signed by Top is 10x a better answer than his actual output right now, and I'm not giving him a pass because Top signed him.

RE: It being the first thing anyone has heard for him, maybe it's a good thing. And if it really is his first project, maybe we're judging him unfairly. I get the feeling both him and SZA (who is like, the most unremarkable new talent to hit the industry of recent) were signed on a promise of something better in the future, maybe even foreshadowed by the name of Isaiah's first release, and will undergo actual artist development which post-Dipset seemingly doesn't exist in the industry anymore. And I respect that, but I'm not sure it would have done him enough good if he wasn't being backed by the juggernaut that is TDE/Interscope.

Tokubetsu

Oh shit Dame talking about Muscle Car Chronicles and Curren$y.

"Let me ask you a question. When has an artist put out a record and got royalties within a year? Never. So why are they stressing me about that?"

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
DOmurTt.gif

416. Lazy Copypasta:
Boi-1da’s #TeamTO (WondaGurl, Rich Kidd, Chef Byer, J Reid, Nick Nikon, Superville, 2oolman, DZL, and C-Sharp) collaborate on “416″ which they debuted back in March during The Beat Academy’s “Champion Sound Beat Battle” at SXSW 2014.

Tyga ft. Young Thug - Hookah video.

Gucci Mane – The Definition (Game Diss). Now this is confusing. Don't know why Zaytoven would leak this either.

idk about this part lol....06 was pretty different

Nah, I think that's a good timeframe I could imagine a swath of boom-bap meets backpacker wannabe MCs breaking out. There has been another renaissance recently though.

Furyous

I loved the Dame Dash interview. He raised very valid points. How come Flex hasn't groomed a replacement? Why is a DJ speaking on a CEO? Say what you want about Dash but he's played a role in the success of many businesses.

I get what he's saying, but there really wasn't a worse way to put that, lol. It's good that he's so focused on his legacy though.

I remember one Directors' Roundtable by the HR, and Tarantino basically said that some of his idols (like Billy Wilder) fell off at one point and started to release some garbage (I'm paraphrasing), so for him, it's all about the filmography. He wants no bad movies so decades from now, when someone is going through his films, they can pick one at random and be satisfied.

Danny Brown's 3 for 3 on that front. He does seem to be somewhat overly focused on the hipster crowd though. Will probably come back to bite him soon...

Cilvia Demo has a great vibe throughout and I absolutely love the concept of the tracks, some of the adlibs, and of course the production. I like it for all of the same reasons I think A Sucker For Pumps is a classic. Rashad definitely got his own lane in TDE. He almost has a southern vibe to some of his inflections too that makes him sound dope.

Yep, this. Tbh, it had to grow on me, but it wasn't long before I started to appreciate it more.

I get what he's saying, but there really wasn't a worse way to put that, lol. It's good that he's so focused on his legacy though.

I remember one Directors' Roundtable by the HR, and Tarantino basically said that some of his idols (like Billy Wilder) fell off bad at one point and started to release some garbage (I'm paraphrasing), so for him, it's all about the filmography. He wants no bad movies so decades from now, when someone is going through his films, they can pick one at random and be satisfied.

If he felt that way, he shoulda stopped after Jackie Brown...

I had heard of Rashad before he signed to TDE. I'm sure my brotha thabiz would have posted the mixtape, me and HRD would listen to it, and then yall would still be lacking.

HiResDes

I really don't get the Rashad hate whatsoever. I mean there's a guy talking about his mic presence that's a Curren$y fan, and another talking about what he doesn't bring to the table lyrically that's in love with Travis Scott and Cudi lol.

People suddenly get kind of ridiculous standards when any act associated with TDE drops something.

Never got blown away by Cilvia Demo or anytihing but its consistently slightly above average to good. It definitely suffers from lack of variety, a bit samey throughout, at the same time it gives it a nice atmosphere beginning to end.

It's growing on me, it probably won't be top 10 for me...

Esch

Banned
I had heard of Rashad before he signed to TDE. I'm sure my brotha thabiz would have posted the mixtape, me and HRD would listen to it, and then yall would still be lacking.
7Bvd4Yt.png
at you pretending to be some sort of blogspot music digger. Fuck outta here
I really don't get the Rashad hate whatsoever. I mean there's a guy talking about his mic presence that's a Curren$y fan.

Curren$y has a unique voice, rides beats well...

I can't wait to get Curren$y's side on the Dame shit. Dame basically blamed all the bad business on outside forces, then claimed Spitta didn't show up to do a tour, despite Dame paying for a tour bus. I wouldn't be surprised if Spitta just cut ties after he learned he was being fucked, and Dame is trying to act like Spitta is the one who reneged on an obligation. Fuck that.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Shit I just hope all this Dame screwing curren$y over gets spitta some free publicity. Dude is slept on hard in the mainstream and NY in general.

Tokubetsu

I can't wait to get Curren$y's side on the Dame shit. Dame basically blamed all the bad business on outside forces, then claimed Spitta didn't show up to do a tour, despite Dame paying for a tour bus. I wouldn't be surprised if Spitta just cut ties after he learned he was being fucked, and Dame is trying to act like Spitta is the one who reneged on an obligation. Fuck that.

The main sus thing to me, was how he was acting like Spitta would be bigger now if he had stayed with Dame. He used the word "pop culture icon."

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
The main sus thing to me, was how he was acting like Spitta would be bigger now if he had stayed with Dame. He used the word "pop culture icon"

He might have man, I'll be honest. Dame was pushing spitta with that same Art crowd that A$ap tapped into. After they broke apart spitta went fully indie backpack rap and focused on his releases production way more than his marketing. I mean he's released a ton of good/great material and the only stuff his fans keep bugging him about is when will pilot talk 3 drop? Shit I think Covert Coup is aging the best off all the stuff he did and no one is like "when is covert coup 2 coming out" and that is a realistic project.

Dame is a scum bag but it makes sense he has issues with Stoute the two of them were/are at their best being marketing execs

Tokubetsu

He might have man, I'll be honest. Dame was pushing spitta with that same Art crowd that A$ap tapped into. After they broke apart spitta went fully indie backpack rap and focused on his releases production way more than his marketing. I mean he's released a ton of good/great material and the only stuff his fans keep bugging him about is when will pilot talk 3 drop?

I would have liked more PT1s, Cover Coups and less Weekend at Burnie's you're right but I think Curren$y we have right now is great, and solid. I think the successful working class rapper thing he has going for him works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom