• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I would have liked more PT1s, Cover Coups and less Weekend at Burnie's you're right but I think Curren$y we have right now is great, and solid. I think the successful working class rapper thing he has going for him works.

I mean spitta is a CEO in his own right, dude has had business with baby, master P, and Dame. He knows how to make money. But he could of been on MTV a lot more if he had stuck with Dame. On the flip Dame fucked up twice. He had a bunch of young rap dudes looking at him like he was an living legend and he screwed them over. I doubt he'll get another chance anytime soon.

I want a Covert Coup 2/Alchemist album more than anything.

Yeah but anyone who post here is usually a hardcore rap head. Covert Coup was a mixtape too, Spitta should of charged for that one..... Shit spitta should of charged for either New Jet City of the drive through as well. He eats off of touring so it makes sense to release them for free, but it goes without saying spitta has left money on the table.

I would have liked more PT1s, Cover Coups and less Weekend at Burnie's you're right but I think Curren$y we have right now is great, and solid. I think the successful working class rapper thing he has going for him works.

I agree. Dame may be a asshole but he recognizes trends. A lot of us saw the "weed rap" shit gaining prominence at the time, before Wiz signed his major deal. Things really exploded after that, Snoop managed to really tap into it successfully, and overall it seemed to really put some focus back on dudes compared to the female focus of most rap at the time (and since). I still think Spitta made the best music out of everyone who was on that wave, but I don't think he could have become what Wiz is now. They're just different personalities with different goals. And obviously Wiz is more marketable and more pop.

Even back then you could tell Dame wanted Spitta, but his main focus was on Wiz. If you go back and watch those videos you could just tell Dame was thirsty as fuck whenever Wiz came out, he wanted to sign him bad; Curren$y was essentially just a carrot to convince Wiz to be down with the team IMO.

My only complaint about Spitta is that I wish he was more serious about the quality of his product. He releases dope shit, but he also releases a lot of stuff that isn't mastered or is poorly mixed. I kind of get the impression he doesn't have a "team" that handles that shit for him and is apart of Jet Life. Having a homie who can mix and master is very important (see: Ali at TDE).

Tokubetsu

I mean spitta is a CEO in his own right, dude has had business with baby, master P, and Dame. He knows how to make money. But he could of been on MTV a lot more if he had stuck with Dame. On the flip Dame fucked up twice. He had a bunch of young rap dudes looking at him like he was an living legend and he screwed them over. I doubt he'll get another chance anytime soon.

Yeah but anyone who post here is usually a hardcore rap head. Covert Coup was a mixtape too, Spitta should of charged for that one..... Shit spitta should of charged for either New Jet City of the drive through as well. He eats off of touring so it makes sense to release them for free, but it goes without saying spitta has left money on the table.

If Spitta announced a cd or lp version of CC today, I would go pre-order that. No hesitation. I still don't know why they haven't since Alchemist sells the fucking instrumentals on itunes.

Esch

Banned
I can't wait to get Curren$y's side on the Dame shit. Dame basically blamed all the bad business on outside forces, then claimed Spitta didn't show up to do a tour, despite Dame paying for a tour bus. I wouldn't be surprised if Spitta just cut ties after he learned he was being fucked, and Dame is trying to act like Spitta is the one who reneged on an obligation. Fuck that.
I refuse to believe Spitta didn't show. He's way too prolific and is too business and hustle oriented to fuck himself up like that.

Tokubetsu

I think one of the problems with Dame (and I don't want to pile on him because that was a great combat jack show) is that becuase of how he is and does business, how he's very street hustle but on a corporate scale it doesn't gel with most people. That shit works for Cam and Jim because of who they are and the similar backgrounds they share with Dame. New artists can't "live" and prosper off that quiet money though.

If what he says is true, that he got Curren$y an apartment, car all that. That's cool but you couldn't expect to hold a grown ass man with that. Especially if none of it is really his. He actually talks about this later how artists will always lowkey despise ppl like Dame who profit off their work.

Still need to hear Spitta's side but I think he made the right call. Dame was good startup though. It's funny how Dame dropped the Creative Control brand but they basically stopped being a thing once Curren$y left outside of that wikispeaks video and a couple other shit here and there.

Anyway, it was a good show. Definitely some food for thought and nuggets in there. I would love to ask Dame what success looks like to him. Like what would be a huge goal post for him.

I refuse to believe Spitta didn't show. He's way too prolific and is too business and hustle oriented to fuck himself up like that.
I'm more inclined to believe that Spitta learned he was getting fucked shortly before the tour was supposed to start, and he bailed. Cut all ties, no contact, nothing. Spitta doesn't seem like the type to confront someone or have an argument.

Dame could have had Spitta, Jay Elec (lol), Wiz, Mos Def, and the Cool Kidz. With Ski Beatz as in in-house producer.

Esch

Banned
BparnRFIEAAM-6B.jpg

Lmfao

Tokubetsu

I'm more inclined to believe that Spitta learned he was getting fucked shortly before the tour was supposed to start, and he bailed. Cut all ties, no contact, nothing. Spitta doesn't seem like the type to confront someone or have an argument.

Dame could have had Spitta, Jay Elec (lol), Wiz, Mos Def, and the Cool Kidz. With Ski Beatz as in in-house producer.

Speaking of Wiz and Spitta, let's remember some great duo joints from them:
http://youtu.be/u1godLClL5s
http://youtu.be/_PINBollzvI
http://youtu.be/11jrjryBNw4

I definitely think there was a short period of time where Wiz and Curren$y both had it in them to drop a kind of spiritual successor to the first Blackout album.

It's alright. They gave us How High, a weed film classic. Nobody watched that awful snoop and wiz shit.

It's nowhere near as good as How High but Mac & Devin does have its moments. Mystikal voicing a poorly animated talking joint named Slow Burn, for example.

Where the fuck is How High 2, though?

This Dame interview is just stupid. Does he honestly think we're going to believe he just "went to China," came back, and everything was different between him and Spitta? Maybe Spitta signed the Warner deal early and that deaded things, but just don't buy the idea that he'd just severe all ties without a reason. And Dame tries to say nobody gets royalties after a year...this was 4 years ago and Spitta still hasn't been paid.

Also I don't buy that Spitta signed a 360 deal, that just doesn't fit who he is or what he's built, business wise.

Esch

Banned
This Dame interview is just stupid. Does he honestly think we're going to believe he just "went to China," came back, and everything was different between him and Spitta? Maybe Spitta signed the Warner deal early and that deaded things, but just don't buy the idea that he'd just severe all ties without a reason. And Dame tries to say nobody gets royalties after a year...this was 4 years ago and Spitta still hasn't been paid.

Also I don't buy that Spitta signed a 360 deal, that just doesn't fit who he is or what he's built, business wise.

Yea... I got to ~45 minutes when i had to put it down. There's only so much of a guy passive aggressively putting other people down and then talking about how great he is and the things he does whilst claiming not to be a braggart. I get it dude. You saw the world, you made money and music.

EDIT:

The worst thing about it for me is when he was basically accusing high up, wealthy cacs of profiting off starting beef between black people. Get out of here. You and the Roc didn't profit from the Jay-Nas beef? Cam-Nas? State Property vs. Jada and them? All the buzz from that didn't make you and your artists money? You were trying to stop all that from happening every single time....

Yea... I got to ~45 minutes when i had to put it down. There's only so much of a guy passive aggressively putting other people down and then talking about how great he is and the things he does whilst claiming not to be a braggart. I get it dude. You saw the world, you made money and music.

Yup. Early he said it wasn't a black/white thing yet for the next 30 minutes he keeps taking slick shots directly at white people, specifically Jews. Music has always been a dirty business, and Dame knows that. Everybody is fucking someone over, and I get the impression Dame is just mad that all the dudes he once clowned are still in the game while he's bleeding money in court. He lost, plain and simple.

Whenever you listen to Lyor, Liles, Rifkin, etc talk modern music it boils down to them saying "I had just left x, was thinking about doing something else, when y called me up and offered an opportunity to do z." You know why that shit keeps happening? Because they understand the business and have infinite bridges available due to good relationships. We can debate whether they truly understand the digital shift in music, but they're gonna keep winning due to their resumes alone.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yup. Early he said it wasn't a black/white thing yet for the next 30 minutes he keeps taking slick shots directly at white people, specifically Jews. Music has always been a dirty business, and Dame knows that. Everybody is fucking someone over, and I get the impression Dame is just mad that all the dudes he once clowned are still in the game while he's bleeding money in court. He lost, plain and simple.

Whenever you listen to Lyor, Liles, Rifkin, etc talk modern music it boils down to them saying "I had just left x, was thinking about doing something else, when y called me up and offered an opportunity to do z." You know why that shit keeps happening? Because they understand the business and have infinite bridges available due to good relationships. We can debate whether they truly understand the digital shift in music, but they're gonna keep winning due to their resumes alone.
Dame and Kanye cut from the same cloth amirite
iT9n2yPtPLb90.png

EDIT: I kind of want to listen to the Dame interview, but I just know it's going to be some fuckery. Dame is a silver tongued snake oil salesman today.

Esch

Banned

I just don't get it. Clearly, The Roc benefited from guys like Lyor Cohen and Def Jam. How can you even deny this? That was the thing Flex said that stands out. I don't care whether you thought you were hustling or whatever when you put the Roc under Def Jam. You took their money, gladly. Their royalties, their distro, their connections, their services.

The beef thing really had it for me though. Blaming Jews/Whites for beef? The Roc was a bunch of hood dudes, most of whom were hungry and competitive.... And they weren't just competitive from a rapping standpoint. Lyrically they were talking about killing (other black) people, selling drugs, denigrating women, all that shit. Now i think it's justified under the classic 'hood reporter' rationale, but you CANNOT found a label around those themes and then say that its the jewwwzzzz benefiting off conflict and strife, because you are too. It reminds me of morons on hip hop sites everywhere saying that labels pitched gangster rap off some Bilderberg conspiracy to kill the culture, fuel the crack epidemic etc. No dude. Labels are just essentially filled with non-creatives that can read charts and they try to package shit so that people buy it. That's their job. In fact the perfect reverse example would be Jaz-O himself; who was a real street dude from Marcy Projects involved in the Nuwaubian cult that they tried to sell like fucking Jazzy Jeff/Will Smith.

This is what labels do. They try to turn this:

Into this:

overcast

You guys have years of this shit down. I know who Dame is and some of the beef between him and Jay. The recent controversy is he just didn't pay Spitta for PT 1 & 2?

Isn't Currensy pretty intelligent business wise? How did he get that screwed over? I read what he said in that interview yesterday.

Esch

Banned
You guys have years of this shit down. I know who Dame is and some of the beef between him and Jay. The recent controversy is he just didn't pay Spitta for PT 1 & 2?

Isn't Currensy pretty intelligent business wise? How did he get that screwed over? I read what he said in that interview yesterday.
You just have to listen and read on it dude. Dame outlines a series of unfortunate events between him and Curren$y that PD summarized earlier. But you can't just take our word for it on something like this. You gotta check into stuff that happened with the Roc and Dame, read primary sources... and interpret it how you see fit. It's always he said she said shit. Or you could just not care. After all it rarely has an impact on the music.

illadelph

Hawaiian Sophie is such a blatant bite off of Jazzy Jeff/Fresh Prince that it's almost disgusting...it just wasn't the type of music that Jaz-O should've been putting out hahaha. He should've stayed in his Das EFX/coke rap type of lane....I mean dude killed his verse on Bring It On

Esch

Banned
Hawaiian Sophie is such a blatant bite off of Jazzy Jeff/Fresh Prince that it's almost disgusting...it just wasn't the type of music that Jaz-O should've been putting out hahaha. He should've stayed in his Das EFX/coke rap type of lane....I mean dude killed his verse on Bring It On
Back then (the 80s) Jaz and Jay didn't really have a lane. They were basically just battle rappers with a fast Freestyle Fellowship type flow and some Das EFXisms mixed in. Jay slowly shifted toward punchline emphasis shit and narrative based songs with every year he got closer to Reasonable Doubt. Jaz was never really a strong artist and it shows in the music he was making for himself. It's mostly wack shit with no substance. And it shows in how easily he was manipulated as an artist right out of the gates.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Wasn't there an article linked here a while back about dame that ended with him organizing a show in some shitty hole in the wall with nobody there while Jim Jones sat in a corner blazed out of his mind and scared because he couldn't remember the lyrics to his own songs? That whole article was just sad as hell, dame came off so pathetic.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Okay so I wrote a bunch of impressions about the Dame thing, but until I can put those together, can somebody explain this shit to me, because either Dame has a whole other level of sexual knowledge or I have no idea why you would pause these:

"Coming off the deal pause"
"Push those records out pause"
"And Just is Greek, pause"
"He had something on his chest pause for a long time"

Esch

Banned
Just ignore it dude. I will occasionally drop a pause here and there for comic effect but it's one of those less is more things. How you damn near 50 and trying to have a serious discussion pausing everything,though

overcast

Okay so I wrote a bunch of impressions about the Dame thing, but until I can put those together, can somebody explain this shit to me, because either Dame has a whole other level of sexual knowledge or I have no idea why you would pause these:

LMAO.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

That last one sounds the nastiest....

I just don't get it. Clearly, The Roc benefited from guys like Lyor Cohen and Def Jam. How can you even deny this? That was the thing Flex said that stands out. I don't care whether you thought you were hustling or whatever when you put the Roc under Def Jam. You took their money, gladly. Their royalties, their distro, their connections, their services.

The beef thing really had it for me though. Blaming Jews/Whites for beef? The Roc was a bunch of hood dudes, most of whom were hungry and competitive.... And they weren't just competitive from a rapping standpoint. Lyrically they were talking about killing (other black) people, selling drugs, denigrating women, all that shit. Now i think it's justified under the classic 'hood reporter' rationale, but you CANNOT found a label around those themes and then say that its the jewwwzzzz benefiting off conflict and strife, because you are too. It reminds me of morons on hip hop sites everywhere saying that labels pitched gangster rap off some Bilderberg conspiracy to kill the culture, fuel the crack epidemic etc. No dude. Labels are just essentially filled with non-creatives that can read charts and they try to package shit so that people buy it. That's their job. In fact the perfect reverse example would be Jaz-O himself; who was a real street dude from Marcy Projects involved in the Nuwaubian cult that they tried to sell like fucking Jazzy Jeff/Will Smith.

This is what labels do. They try to turn this:

Into this:
Exactly. If Low End Theory sold 5mil records, the labels would have signed Tribe clones to cake off the trend. Instead Biggie and 2Pac sold 5mil. What do you expect suburban white boys to respond to more, jazzy shit or violence? It's the market.

You're 100% right about Dame making money off "negative" content. He gave away the game in the interview where he said his attitude can be described by the actions of a drug dealer: no matter how shitty a dealer treats a junkie, the junkie will come back looking for that good shit. How do you use that analogy while complaining about other people not respecting the culture?

HiResDes

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I'm enjoying drinks at this bar when this frat house looking white boy suddenly grabs a mic and is currently doing karaoke to eminem, macklemore and pit bull. Not like impromptu either, these idiots paid this dude to do this shit. I wanna hit this motherfucker with a bottle. Fucking Vietnam.

Fuck my life, he's doing original songs now.

Esch

Banned
I'm enjoying drinks at this bar when this frat house looking white boy suddenly grabs a mic and is currently doing karaoke to eminem, macklemore and pit bull. Not like impromptu either, these idiots paid this dude to do this shit. I wanna hit this motherfucker with a bottle. Fucking Vietnam.

Fuck my life, he's doing original songs now.
Battle him

naw

Umm, what the hell, the last thing I posted was a list of mixtapes I liked:

QePNpyk.png
damn

I'm friends with one of the global mods so I'll ask him what happened

sometimes ppl get banned for no reason cause they share the same ip with other users or some shit

edit: yeah you shared the same ip with some dude who spammed gay porn. you good now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom