• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

"behind in the genre"? kart racers aren't the same as racing sims, though they may have some stuff in common with arcadey racers. i thought you were gonna bring up features in a like thing, like sonic all-star racing transformed, not PGR

Esch

Banned
Maybe I should give more mobile gaming a try since consoles are on life support.. I tried to fuck with Puzzle and Dragons but that shit was reallyy repetitive from a visual standpoint

/androiduser

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
"behind in the genre"? kart racers aren't the same as racing sims, though they may have some stuff in common with arcadey racers. i thought you were gonna bring up features in a like thing, like sonic all-star racing transformed, not PGR
They're all racing games. Most of those features are not specific to kart racers nor would harm them if included, much like replay/upload functionality. Nintendo is just happy drip feeding them generation after generation though. Maybe we'll see persistent progression or integrated reward systems next gen.

Maybe I should give more mobile gaming a try since consoles are on life support.. I tried to fuck with Puzzle and Dragons but that shit was reallyy repetitive from a visual standpoint

/androiduser
lolwat

Kind of expect to hear that sort of thing from someone who is proud of saying they exclusively game on PC though, I guess. I could never go PC only, even the idea of it makes me sad.

mario kart 8 is hot. if i had a WiiL i'd be addicted to that game.
I would too, but it doesn't do anything to change my low-sunk expectations of Nintendo and their approaches to development.

Esch

Banned
lolwat

Kind of expect to hear that sort of thing from someone who is proud of saying they exclusively game on PC though, I guess. I could never go PC only, even the idea of it makes me sad.
Trolling aside, what's the point of console gaming if the exclusives are wack or infrequent as hell, Japanese gaming is a shadow of itself, and all the AAA are afraid to take real risks? I'll probably cop a PS4 in 2017 or 18 though. All good things come to an end and the writings been on the wall for a while for console gaming. Nintendo? Lol. Microsoft? Not doing so hot, and there have been suggestions to sell off the Xbox. Sony is doing okay/good as far as units pushed but not enough to buoy an industry that's becoming more expensive and increasingly risk averse. AAA games make consoles and have since 2005, and without them there's no reason to get one.

IrishNinja

these are the posts you get when you gather all your knowledge of console exclusives from sales-age and not actually playing them

if you're only playing AAA stuff on consoles, you're really missing out on much of the magic

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Trolling aside, what's the point of console gaming if the exclusives are wack or infrequent as hell, Japanese gaming is a shadow of itself, and all the AAA are afraid to take real risks? I'll probably cop a PS4 in 2017 or 18 though. All good things come to an end and the writings been on the wall for a while for console gaming. Nintendo? Lol. Microsoft? Not doing so hot, and there have been suggestions to sell off the Xbox. Sony is doing okay/good as far as units pushed but not enough to buoy an industry that's becoming more expensive and increasingly risk averse. AAA games make consoles and have since 2005, and without them there's no reason to get one.
Console gaming is still doing fine, look at the records PS4 is breaking. So long as the set top box is gaining momentum (which it is), they'll have a place so long as they can compete, and they're doing pretty good. Hell, even with shitty PR the X1 is breaking records, isn't it? All of those death of the console articles have been very poorly supported or selectively ignorant. The demand is there, and the money is there.

What constitutes a real risk? I feel like that's another myth that just sort of floats around. We've seen all three taking more real risks in the past three years than ever before (Nintendo beginning to license out it's IPs more and more and giving those studios more freedom, MS making promises of 10 or whatever the number was new IPs in the X1's early lifespan, Sony's WW studios consistently pushing out new IPs). And it's the beginning of the console gen too, and just like every other console gen we're seeing new IPs being pushed by first and third parties.

Realistically, what more could you want? It's not like PC gaming is free from AAA woes; that's not a platform specific issue (and at that, PCs often receive shoddy or second thought ports for a lot of AAA console games). And What used to set the PC apart late last gen was it's budding indie scene and ability to rapidly update games, but most of the barriers for that have been taken down for consoles as well and pretty much anything worth playing is also on PS4 (which also isn't new since Sony started turning up a few years ago with the PS3).

The big advantage consoles have is the first party which pushes both technology and games. People forget all of the stuff XBL put into place and standardized that is now commonplace on Steam, etc. You need that, and selling consoles/first party games is what drives/funds that and then inter-console competition accelerates how fast that spreads.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
MK8 didn't prove anything. It's another Mario Kart game. On another Nintendo platform. No risks, still considerably behind in the genre, nothing. Nintendo thinking the status quo will get them by still is the reason they're in the predicament they're in.

Next thing they're gonna do is announce another 2D/3D Mario for the Wii U and you'll see the same fanboys with clenched buttcheeks thinking now everything will change for the better.

EDIT: The best part about the reaction MK8 to me is people going gaga over the MKTV addition, like PGR3 didn't have something like that but with even more features at the launch of the 360. Expectations are so low right now, it's crazy.
Nobody said anything about risks. The game sold and it moved systems. Period.

WanderingWind

As far as I can tell, it bumped sales in Japan up pretty insignificantly, especially considering how many actual units it sold, and we don't know anything for other regions yet. They're still selling largely selling to the same, small, buy-anything-Nintendo core. This is Japan though, and they're weird.

Okay? It still moved units. I don't really get how your point relates to mine. People bought the game and bought the system for the game. My point is that the system itself might have had a chance if they had produced some actual games for it earlier in its life cycle.

qL5omwl.jpg

whewww

can't wait

next-gen has been pretty wack so far. only nintendo been putting out the good games.

i think this e3 will change things and make both xbox and ps4 attractive options tho. we'll see.

Detox

Consoles ain't got shit on pc, that's why they are always tweeting shahid for some indie pc game to make it over to ps4 and vita. Mobile is even worse, it's just depressing if you can look past the terrible monetisation strategies the controls are just wack not to mention the tiny screen and the gameplay is always very simple despite how they may package it the only exclusion would be slow paced strategy games or turn based stuff. I realised mobile games were mainly simple distractions that posses little depth in their skill curves so I just stopped playing them.

MK8 didn't prove anything. It's another Mario Kart game. On another Nintendo platform. No risks, still considerably behind in the genre, nothing. Nintendo thinking the status quo will get them by still is the reason they're in the predicament they're in.

Next thing they're gonna do is announce another 2D/3D Mario for the Wii U and you'll see the same fanboys with clenched buttcheeks thinking now everything will change for the better.

EDIT: The best part about the reaction MK8 to me is people going gaga over the MKTV addition, like PGR3 didn't have something like that but with even more features at the launch of the 360. Expectations are so low right now, it's crazy.

Truth. It's the same thing over and over. Next up, another Mario and a new Zelda that doesn't do anything new except have a new gimmick.

Mario Kart looks dope, I had a blast with Double Dash on the Gamecube with my brothers, but it's Mario Kart. I'm not buying a console for that. PC wins for me.

Esch

Banned
Console gaming is still doing fine, look at the records PS4 is breaking. So long as the set top box is gaining momentum (which it is), they'll have a place so long as they can compete, and they're doing pretty good. Hell, even with shitty PR the X1 is breaking records, isn't it? All of those death of the console articles have been very poorly supported or selectively ignorant. The demand is there, and the money is there.
They'll have a place. But it'll keep shrinking as the years go by. You need to also take a look at software sales, and in the last NPD Minecraft was #4 on the charts. The entire xbox family sold less than 200k. You should also take a look at year by year btw, Sony's annual report indicated that console sales were down 45% from 2008 (and thats when they were truly flabbynsick). But I guess "dead" is the wrong word as long as you have a couple markers of good health, like the rap industry or everyone's grandparents.

Realistically, what more could you want? It's not like PC gaming is free from AAA woes; that's not a platform specific issue (and at that, PCs often receive shoddy or second thought ports for a lot of AAA console games).
This isn't 2006. It's 2014.

And What used to set the PC apart late last gen was it's budding indie scene and ability to rapidly update games, but most of the barriers for that have been taken down for consoles as well and pretty much anything worth playing is also on PS4 (which also isn't new since Sony started turning up a few years ago with the PS3).

That's a real funny way to interpret things, because I see it as consoles being forced to embrace low-end software that they'd turn their nose up at before but the anemic AAA offerings being put out right now demand that they pick up the titles they once pushed off as 'minigames' or 'nongames"

The big advantage consoles have is the first party which pushes both technology and games. People forget all of the stuff XBL put into place and standardized that is now commonplace on Steam, etc. You need that, and selling consoles/first party games is what drives/funds that and then inter-console competition accelerates how fast that spreads.
You're bigging up console contributions to social interfaces well, but also downplaying the PC when you make generalizations like this. I feel like about 98% of graphical innovations are achieved via PC gaming, it's engines, and APIs conceived with it in mind. The only counterexample I can think of is Sony coming up with all those low-cost AA solutions everyone's using now..and every gen these platforms get closer and closer to the PC. Even right down to x86 architecture. They play your media, they have increasingly complicated interfaces, etc etc. But whatever, :yeshrug:

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
They'll have a place. But it'll keep shrinking as the years go by. You need to also take a look at software sales, and in the last NPD Minecraft was #4 on the charts. The entire xbox family sold less than 200k. You should also take a look at year by year btw, Sony's annual report indicated that console sales were down 45% from 2008 (and thats when they were truly flabbynsick). But I guess "dead" is the wrong word as long as you have a couple markers of good health, like the rap industry or everyone's grandparents.

This isn't 2006. It's 2014.

That's a real funny way to interpret things, because I see it as consoles being forced to embrace low-end software that they'd turn their nose up at before but the anemic AAA offerings being put out right now demand that they pick up the titles they once pushed off as 'minigames' or 'nongames"

You're bigging up console contributions to social interfaces well, but also downplaying the PC when you make generalizations like this. I feel like about 98% of graphical innovations are achieved via PC gaming, it's engines, and APIs conceived with it in mind. The only counterexample I can think of is Sony coming up with all those low-cost AA solutions everyone's using now..and every gen these platforms get closer and closer to the PC. Even right down to x86 architecture. They play your media, they have increasingly complicated interfaces, etc etc. But whatever, :yeshrug:
What do you mean it isn't 2006? There were only AAA games on PC in 2006? We're just gonna ignore The Old Republic and games of that magnitude?

And it's funny saying that consoles were 'forced' to embrace the low-end software considering nobody was asking for it and XBLA spearheaded what is now the indie gaming scene and supported it until there was an environment in the PC space that was as conducive for it to bloom. The 'forced' impression probably comes from the service refreshes though, one after PSN got hacked up the ass and one when the new consoles launched.

And I'm not really downplaying graphical innovations, moreover highlighting service (gaming is all about being a service now anyways) improvements. Graphical innovations are a big deal though. Since everything is coded on PCs, it is pretty much the de facto home for graphical innovations.

word up, there hasnt been a "shoddy PC port" since Singularity, and even a shoddy PC port is still 1080p 60fps.
Pretty sure Dark Souls came out very recently.

WanderingWind

He's saying the opposite. In 2006 the PC was an afterthought for most. It's at least back on semi-equal footing with the big publishers.

Sans Nintendo, of course.

Esch

Banned
Japanese PC ports don't count. That's like chastising someone with dyslexia for making bad copies of something they wrote earlier.

effzee

Wait what does it matter if MK8 isn't revolutionizing racing as a genre?

The game is fun as hell especially online multiplayer. Now a game has to be something ground breaking every time for people to buy a system?

And each game in their main series/franchises isn't just a repackaged game. Mario Galaxy games were considered some of the best games ever. They tried to switch it up with SS with mixed results. Honestly I don't know what people expect from Nintendo. New franchises sure but its not like the main 1st party games are rehashes with no improvements or risks. They could use some more 2nd parties, especially western based ones but their own EAD development is top notch still.

Nintendo has put out some amazing 1st party titles already for the WiiU and while their overall approach and the system are a failure, the games are awesome. Which works fine for me. Only play few games here and there and even then mostly sports. Got my PS4 for that. When I do get in the mood to play some non sports games I'll take my new Mario, Zelda, and Smash Bros any day of the week.

Wait what does it matter if MK8 isn't revolutionizing racing as a genre?

The game is fun as hell especially online multiplayer. Now a game has to be something ground breaking every time for people to buy a system?

And each game in their main series/franchises isn't just a repackaged game. Mario Galaxy games were considered some of the best games ever. They tried to switch it up with SS with mixed results. Honestly I don't know what people expect from Nintendo. New franchises sure but its not like the main 1st party games are rehashes with no improvements or risks. They could use some more 2nd parties, especially western based ones but their own EAD development is top notch still.

Nintendo has put out some amazing 1st party titles already for the WiiU and while their overall approach and the system are a failure, the games are awesome. Which works fine for me. Only play few games here and there and even then mostly sports. Got my PS4 for that. When I do get in the mood to play some non sports games I'll take my new Mario, Zelda, and Smash Bros any day of the week.

Dunno, I'm rather burned out on Nintendo. But then again I'm a bad person to ask since I don't like many console games these days.

HiResDes

Too much multi-platform and too many non-gameplay trailers...But they showed a lot of games, 6/10.

Halo collection looks and sounds amazing though, kind of excited for what the Phantom Dust remake could entail.

overcast

We're still here?

Yeah, solid all around. Nothing spectacular. Crackdown 3, Phantom Dust, Halo 2 online and Sunset Overdrive.

That Conker tease in some throw away game though? Unforgivable.

6.5/10.

The Halo collection looked really good, but I don't want to buy those games (or get back into Halo) again.

Nothing else really interested me tbh.

Low End Fest set-times are up, I know a few GAF folks are going. There will likely be tickets at the door Saturday only, I'll know more about it Wednesday afternoon. That 12:50 TBA on Saturday...

Echoplex said:
4:00 Workshop
6:00 Daddy Kev
6:20 House Shoes
7:00 The Gaslamp Killer
7:20 Samiyam
8:00 DJ Nobody
8:20 Mono/Poly
9:00 Nocando
9:20 Jonwayne
10:00 Ras G
10:40 Daddy Kev
11:00 Nosaj Thing
11:40 The Gaslamp Killer
12:10 Invisibl Skratch Piklz
12:50 TBA
1:30 DJ Nobody

The Echo said:
5:00 ELOS
5:40 Cypress Junkies
6:20 Great Dane
7:00 Thavius Beck
7:40 Dibiase
8:20 6BLOCC

Echoplex said:
4:00 Workshop
6:00 Daddy Kev
6:20 Kamasi Washington
7:00 The Gaslamp Killer
7:20 Matthewdavid
8:00 DJ Nobody
8:20 Knxwledge
9:00 D-Styles
9:20 Teebs
10:00 Daddy Kev
10:20 Baths
11:00 The Gaslamp Killer
11:20 Daedelus
12:00 DJ Nobody
12:20 The Internet
1:00 Kraddy
1:40 D-Styles

The Echo said:
5:00 Dntel
5:40 The Breathing Effect
6:20 Astronautica
7:00 Taurus Scott
7:40 Anderson Paak
8:20 Milo

Esch

Banned
Low key EA is about to show off some good shit, it's just that we know a lot about it already.

Sony? I have no idea. But they wouldn't set up theaters and shit unless they were bringing heat

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can't believe so many people are complaining about CG trailers when there were so many gameplay demos. Might be the most gameplay demos in a conference thus far.

Great conference, nothing too crazy though. Crackdown is an early contender for game of E3.

The sad thing is I'm not convinced the other conferences are going to be much better.
Only really expecting Nintendo to be better/more surprising. Maybe EA depending on how much Mass Effect and Mirror's Edge we get.

Can't begin to give a fuck about Sony when Media Molecule and SSM aren't there. Expecting third party announcements most.

Cudder

Low key EA is about to show off some good shit, it's just that we know a lot about it already.

Sony? I have no idea. But they wouldn't set up theaters and shit unless they were bringing heat
I can't wait for some next gen NHL. I'll be going to the theatre in Toronto to see sony's conference too, hope it delivers.

Courage

Gaming side threads already confirmed a lot of the studios won't be showing up, so it's gonna be limited to The Order, Uncharted 4, Beast Souls and TLG (lol)

With the latter probably not even appearing, they're gonna have aloooooooot of filler.

overcast

Media Molecule and Santa Monica aren't showing? LOLLL.

C'mon Sony. Choking.

Edit: we'll see what EA has. Excited for this one. Maybe Battlefront and Mirror's Edge 2. Hopefully lengthier looks at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom