• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Who has Em cosigned since 50 though? Cashis? And he shit the bed because the label didn't push him, not because of Em not talking about him.
Basically my point is Eminem's cosign is more of a question mark because he hasn't really bestowed it on anyone. (maybe Kendrick? But GKMC was already out)

I agree with Ye and Jay though. Maybe Drake. We'll see if PND "blows up" like Abel and I'll get back to you haha
I think the verbal cosign is damn near meaningless outside of maybe Kanye (because he's a bit uptight by nature), since it's hard for you to discern if someone is being political or legitimately fucks with an artist.

I guess it's hard to say for Em, you're right, but he is so hands-off with things even in the rare chance he does cosign someone that I guess his power might not be that great?

Drake helped Future, J. Cole, French, Rocky, 2 Chainz and more take the next big step in their careers. Drake is pretty much a veteran in this stage of the game. I really do believe he's a tastemaker for his huge following, and not just female fans either.

Jay is obvious. He is very calculated so when he comes out to play, people take notice. He has an illustrious history of this that doesn't need specific examples because he is the most powerful man in hip-hop music.

Ye is a bit strange. I think his cosigns are meaningful and still meaningful post-Swift with artists like Chief Keef, but for some reason I feel like it's more hip-hop savvy people that care who Ye is working with, and because of his broad following, he's a tastemaker outside of and within hip-hop which is unique. For the most part, I think many of his own artists have done pretty well and not really a Diddy/Em record, but he's helped a lot of mainstays today propel themselves further. Think about all the interviewees out there just trying to get any tidbit they can about what it's like to work with Kanye.

Guys, heres my EP
a3680176006_2.jpg

http://flightmuzik88.bandcamp.com/album/raw-silk

7 Tracks

Enjoy fammmmm

tumblr_lqfvboCXDo1qcel9ho1_500.gif
Peterboy blessin us. Remember us when you make a beat for Riff Raff.

DominoKid

Drake helped Future, J. Cole, French, Rocky, 2 Chainz and more take the next big step in their careers. Drake is pretty much a veteran in this stage of the game. I really do believe he's a tastemaker for his huge following, and not just female fans either.

I wouldn't give Drake cosign credit for those folks though. Only PND and The Weeknd (and the other random folks on the OVO label). It'll be really interesting when Drake brings an upcoming rapper into the game like Wayne did for him.

I will say that Rocky should thank his lucky stars that Drake gift-wrapped Fuckin Problems for him.

For Ye, he gets Big Sean & Cudi although they both seem to be falling off. He has Pusha T as a reclamation project which he can count as a cosign. There was that weird 2 Chainz/GOOD Music association Def Jam tried to push but I wouldn't give him credit for that.

lol at that J. Cole description. I don't even really hate Cole or anything, but that's the perfect description of him

btw peterb0y, digging the album. I rhymed over a Blue Sky Black Death track recently, so I'm in the perfect mood for this, haha.

PBY

Banned
Tokus and syphs, thanks brehs- again, way too nice.
lol at that J. Cole description. I don't even really hate Cole or anything, but that's the perfect description of him

btw peterb0y, digging the album. I rhymed over a Blue Sky Black Death track recently, so I'm in the perfect mood for this, haha.

BSBD toooo nice, huge influence for me. And you know that if you're ever in the mood, you're always welcome to rap over any of my shit man. Its funny, the other day randomly, that Don't Assume track you made for the fantasy gaf hop mixtape came on shuffle. Still insanely dope today.

I've heard that Drake/Dre story before, but I dunno about the Kendrick one. Dre doesn't need money for Detox' budget, he's been using his own dough to finance jam sessions for years. That being said, the faith Interscope put in Kendrick was definitely shocking enough to suggest some type of outside influence/push. He has multiple songs that are longer than 5-6 minutes, including a 12 minute song; that's unheard of, given how royalties work; labels prefer shorter songs/albums because they get paid more money, whereas the artist gets more money the longer the work is.

I find it interesting that Kendrick has been used sparingly in Beats promotion btw.

Esch

Banned
Kendrick is still in that questionable level of 'can nigh everything i touch turn to gold'? status? The nerds will always dig it, but will the public?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Kendrick is still in that questionable level of 'can nigh everything i touch turn to gold'? status? The nerds will always dig it, but will the public?

and that's where I really start to believe these stories.

The public are sheep and incredibly fucking stupid and they'll gobble anything up that gets shoved in front of their faces without thinking. just consuming until they're satisfied and the next meal is presented in front of them. this is a universal truth across every form of entertainment.

the only way they'll "hate" something they once loved is if there is some scandal (legit or fabricated) that taints the meal and they won't take it anymore.

one of your internet wizards has to gif this shit brehs, come on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlWQKHnZMAk&t=11m5s

if i was home right now, I'd be on that. still at my parents till tomorrow night.

IrishNinja

The public are sheep and incredibly fucking stupid and they'll gobble anything up that gets shoved in front of their faces without thinking. just consuming until they're satisfied and the next meal is presented in front of them. this is a universal truth across every form of entertainment.

the only way they'll "hate" something they once loved is if there is some scandal (legit or fabricated) that taints the meal and they won't take it anymore.

looking back...i know we've talked about the roots of the 50/ja beef but i still can't quite put my finger on how he ended dude's career like that. granted, Ja had been on top for a minute & was prolly wearing out his welcome/getting overexposed but he went from big rapper/popish crossover to punchline.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
looking back...i know we've talked about the roots of the 50/ja beef but i still can't quite put my finger on how he ended dude's career like that. granted, Ja had been on top for a minute & was prolly wearing out his welcome/getting overexposed but he went from big rapper/popish crossover to punchline.

Em had the legion of record buyers under his thumb at the time and said "fuck that guy," then 50 took of his shirt and all the ladies were like "yeah, fuck that guy."

Never underestimate the purchasing power of ladies in the 16-25 demographic.

Esch

Banned

I strongly disagree with this. How many hyperadvertised, promoted and pushed artists, movies, games etc have flopped or failed to go black? I can't even fathom it actually. Nobody remembers the failures.

When it comes down to it, I actually believe that really capturing what it is the public 'want' is pretty damn hard. For every "Blurred Lines" there are thousands of failed payola singles in the ether. I don't deny that pop culture is disposable or replaceable to an extent but catching fire is pretty hard.

BSBD toooo nice, huge influence for me. And you know that if you're ever in the mood, you're always welcome to rap over any of my shit man. Its funny, the other day randomly, that Don't Assume track you made for the fantasy gaf hop mixtape came on shuffle. Still insanely dope today.

Hah, thanks. Yeah, next time I get the urge to write I'll have to throw on one of your joints, see what I can do.

DominoKid

I strongly disagree with this. How many hyperadvertised, promoted and pushed artists, movies, games etc have flopped or failed to go black? I can't even fathom it actually. Nobody remembers the failures.

When it comes down to it, I actually believe that really capturing what it is the public 'want' is pretty damn hard. For every "Blurred Lines" there are thousands of failed payola singles in the ether. I don't deny that pop culture is disposable or replaceable to an extent but catching fire is pretty hard.

Pretty much. All they can do is position their product as strongly as possible for the public to decide on.

I remember this GQ article.
gqcudi.jpg

Nowadays Drake probably wouldn't be caught dead in the same place as Wale.

And need we revisit some of those XXL Freshman Covers?

Have any of you called birdman (guns in the bushes) "baby" in real life?

I did it for the first time in my life today, totally randomly on accident, and now I can't sleep, questioning all my life decisions

Kwixotik

Have any of you called birdman (guns in the bushes) "baby" in real life?

I did it for the first time in my life today, totally randomly on accident, and now I can't sleep, questioning all my life decisions

Damn, I don't know how I could live with myself if I did that. There's no going back now.

big ander

After a couple months of So It Goes improving with each listen I finally bumped Wiki93 on the way to work today. whew. That's a great EP.

tmdorsey

Scored a couple of tickets to the second added Outkast show here in ATL in Sept. Those tickets are selling out fast as hell.

Hyped to see Big and Dre live again. The last time I saw them was back in the mid 90s.

HiResDes

Predictions for which tape gonna be the best, I'm gonna guess Thugger since I think they have the best chemistry. I think Migos might be too much for Gucci to keep up with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom