• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

Yeah, I don't know if it's cause I'm kind of a Flylo/K.Dot stan, but this song is still dope. Even Kendricks build up with his voice combined with tempo increasing is totally okay, then it goes on that awesome base bit.

Yeah, I don't know if it's cause I'm kind of a Flylo/K.Dot stan, but this song is still dope. Even Kendricks build up with his voice combined with tempo increasing is totally okay, then it goes on that awesome base bit.
Yeah the untagged version is on spotify now as well.

IrishNinja

youre missing that they took a big shit on The Love Movement.

well yeah but that's not my favorite anyway, and i figure i can always go back & pick that one up to complete the set later...the absolute classics are there though, and i doubt i'm gonna beat that price for em. just wondering if anyone's bought from there & found the reprints to have questionable quality or some shit

*edit by the way, of course that tag-less version of k-dot + flylo is already down, ugh

Nah it's just a dope song. There are so many small elements in there that are just perfect. Esch shit on the piano melodies but I super dig them. Didnt find them cheesy at all. Especially some one-off moments like the keyboard work hidden under the main piano groove up to about :40 (and left by itself briefly around then). Love that. Kendricks voice being mirrored into the beat at :50 to
1:00 before getting absorbed into other elements was #blessed. Lots of things like that. I still think I dug Between Friends more tho but it has been a short amount of time.

Honestly the only thing I outright do not like are the handclaps and that's a personal peeve. Daddy Kev played about half the album again last night but I missed a lot of it, still sounds amazing. Also heard two more new James Blake tracks later and they were also #blessed. Very light, airy guitar work over cascading bass waves, reminiscent of a more subtle CMYK. I died and went to heaven during that brehs.

codhand

well yeah but that's not my favorite anyway, and i figure i can always go back & pick that one up to complete the set later...the absolute classics are there though, and i doubt i'm gonna beat that price for em. just wondering if anyone's bought from there & found the reprints to have questionable quality or some shit

i just think if theyre gonna cut the fat, take Beat Rhymes with Love Movement off the pier and make it an even $50.

The only thing I don't like about the FlyLo track are the 808 kicks towards the end. They sound so...clinical. They knock but don't sound natural at all, and instead feel very robotic. And not in a good, Dr Dre way.

yall know I hate claps but I can't really complain about them here.

Esch

Banned
Nah it's just a dope song. There are so many small elements in there that are just perfect. Esch shit on the piano melodies but I super dig them. Didnt find them cheesy at all. Especially some one-off moments like the keyboard work hidden under the main piano groove up to about :40 .

I kinda shit on them but only cause shit reminds me of this and i used to love that shit in high school but man it's so goofy. That SNES 'death metal'.

edit: I still can't get over how that guitar solo in this track sounds like something from WaveRace 64 :dead:

Wait on the FlyLo album? Or am I misunderstanding?

Didn't like James Blakes last album, pretty dull, I adored his first album.

I phrased it awkwardly, it was solo Blake material. I think he's gearing up for a new EP because I've heard four new tracks from him in the past few months and none of them have emphasized vocals. All of them are a lot closer to his Self-Titled work and prior, along with his more recent Harmonimix stuff.

Courage

Wait on the FlyLo album? Or am I misunderstanding?

Didn't like James Blakes last album, pretty dull, I adored his first album.
Yeah his first album is one of my favorite albums of all time. I'm glad he's going back to that particular sound, it suits him more.

I'm listening to James Blake's first album for the first time right now

astralman2Gif02.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Haven't listened to Jame Blake. All I know is he's that artist rappers name when they want to display much taste, very avant-garde.

JohnDoe

Banned
The CMYK EP was dope, his self titled album not so much... but at least it had a couple of good standout tracks. James Blake is a really talented dude who is sometimes just too weird for my taste... He's hit or miss to me. What his stuff suffers from (when he's not at the top of his game) is meandering songs/compositions that go nowhere.

HiResDes

I love James Blake and I think the Flying Lotus track is pretty dope. I don't know if ya'll trying to be contrarian, but compare that track to anything on the radio and it's a fucking godsend of fresh air. The sheer effort and energy of the track are undeniable.

I love James Blake and I think the Flying Lotus track is pretty dope. I don't know if ya'll trying to be contrarian, but compare that track to anything on the radio and it's a fucking godsend of fresh air. The sheer effort and energy of the track are undeniable.

Could change one of these names to Eminem or Macklemore and it would fit. Honestly I can't believe you said this lol. Has got to be the weakest way to defend any song

you know who i fuckk with that i wish more people liked? Paul White. Shit aint too special but plenty of his shit has a boy like

ifINe8fJFyR8D.gif

Isn't this the dude who did some stuff on Danny's last project?

James Blake is a genius brehs, an absolute genius. I would say he's in the top ten most talented active musicians. Toward the high end of that list, too. The Self-Titled debut was amazing, shit floored me the first time I hear it. Perfectly emotional songwriting paired with beats that learned so much from dub and evolved past it in a way that isn't at all dismissive. I Never Learnt To Share is perfect. To Care (Like You) is perfect. The record itself is perfect. Listen to how tenderly this dude introduces elements to his tracks. How he constantly builds onto the initial framework he lays out. How all of those sounds meld into rolling waves and crash into you.

But then, to drop two super dope EPs THE SAME YEAR as that record (Enough Thunder and Love What Happened Here)? James Blake and Enough Thunder are both in my top five for 2011. Fall Boys Creek Choir? Not Long Now? Wheeeeeewwwwww.

That's not to mention his material prior to that. Klavierwerke is ultra dope. CMYK...what can you even say about CMYK? If I hear CMYK as I bleed out after a horrific car accident, I might feel alright. That is probably my ideal way to go out actually. Drifting away into a cosmic consciousness with CMYK filling the space around me. Non James Blake material--can we talk about his Harmonimix shit? Because if there's a competitor to CMYK for my life-outro, it might be his Changes remix.

There aren't too many people out there who have his patience and the ability to swell an idea from something small to something that fills your entire soul with longing. Just gradually playing out these small motifs into quasars of sound. NOBODY is on this mans level when it comes to vocal edits (lol I know some of you heard the shit Aphex is pushing now). NOBODY is on this mans game when it comes to loops. I could talk about Blake all day but in the end he's just super dope. idk how anyone could say otherwise, even if Overgrown was a little mediocre. He stepped away from what he is the best at (literally the best. Like, the best in the world) and tried to flip it into more conventional singer/songwriter material. That's worth trying. That's worth messing up for. So you learn your lesson and move on. Love that he tried. But to disrespect his debut record? That beautifully understated masterpiece? Naw. Never.

Sidenote: Blake was the first artist that super bummed me out because he's younger than me and about a billion times more talented than I will be at anything, ever. Less than a year younger, too. Sent me into a quarter life crisis when I was struggling with school/work and this fucker was out there dropping classics left and right.

Esch

Banned
Meh, then again what do i know? I never cared for lots of shit people really went in for like Portishead, Massive Attack, or Daft Punk.

Gonna agree with Pickles on James Blake his first album got some good burn for me last year. I heard his name mentioned a couple of times then I found out Big KRIT sampled Wilhelm Scream I just gave it a listen.

Meh, then again what do i know? I never cared for lots of shit people really went in for like Portishead, Massive Attack, or Daft Punk.

Everybody has spots like that. I never got Massive Attack at all, gave them like five tries. I dont get the fawning over Grimes. Never really cared for Jay either tbh. I respect those dudes accomplishments, some of their songs are good, and I find some of them really interesting as people. But something about their work doesn't move me. Never really figured out what it is.

Esch

Banned
I was hesitant to post it when I first saw it but it seems like it's beginning to bubble now so..

Kendrick Lamar allegedly beat some girl bloody ("half of her face was blown out") in a hotel and she's pressing charges behind the scenes.
Vrai?
Faux?
Not enough information to know?
iC8yerqPI52fM.gif

No, NO. I knew he was too good to be true brehs. I knew his character was too clean, his spirit too pure. He's a turkey with swiss on white with mayo, tomato and lettuce guy, brehs. All that money, all that fame, that ambition, with no darkness? The greater the light, the darker the darkness . You can never trust a dude like that brehs. He always has some horrible, horrible secret like strangling prostitutes out in alleyways, or being a Kanye West stan. I hope this isn't true . Kendrick with a Dexter moment. I knew something like this was going to happen.

big ander

I was hesitant to post it when I first saw it but it seems like it's beginning to bubble now so..

Kendrick Lamar allegedly beat some girl bloody ("half of her face was blown out") in a hotel and she's pressing charges behind the scenes.
Vrai?
Faux?
Not enough information to know?

Way speculative but it could be true. would be shitty shitty shitty if so.

All that can be said for sure is that the 55 year old man with the Good Charlotte haircut and CBGB shirt he bought at hot topic before hitting on girls near the Charley's Grilled Subs should peace from society and live in a hut somewhere

Esch

Banned
It's too perfect brehs. Squeaky clean Kendrick Lamar? No vices? The prince of the rap game 'doesn't even drink or smoke like that'? Hard worker? Always in the studio? Nah brehs. This is the rap game. And people who win it are never, ever saints.

It's so ridiculous, i feel like it might be true. Maybe Kendrick doesn't drink much because it turns him extremely violent. Obviously, we'll see.

HiResDes

Man people not liking Massive Attack, Portishead, and James Blake is reeking havoc upon my psyche right now. I'm drunk, but the first question I have for these people is a rather significant one. Do you have ears?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom