• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

codhand

Pretty much.

the whole thing started cuz the idea of kanye not realizing something he exec produced was funny

here's the GOAT at work

rick-rubin.gif

Executive producers in hip-hop help sculpt the sound of entire projects, and have creative input.

i guess i'm not the only one generalizing. cause this statement is some really idealistic best case scenario shit

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Travis Scott did have that line "never got down with the morals of Martin Luther" on DBR
Relevant KTT thread dissecting these lyrics.

My favourite KTT conspiracy was the elaborate Kanye screwing up movie references on purpose one, and they just caught a bunch of them throughout his career. Shit got progressively hilarious.

i think the line following the one you're asking about helps explain it better:
"I never got down with the morals of Martin Luther
I'm just tryna ball, why these niggas want me neutered?"

you can't really "ball" if you're thinking systematically/theoretically a la mlk and martin luther

i'm a pretty big fan/supporter of mlk and martin luther before him but, like kanye said, politics is dead

also, we never really got rid of eunuchs... masters still cut your balls (neutered) by forcing you into their system and not supporting people like ye and travis and nba players (donald sterling... ****) and us fans and dreamers in general
hence new slaves

tumblr_n6244eYTDH1s3gys4o1_400.gif
This post ending with hence new slaves and that GIF is just making me die of laughter.

im sure there are times when the exec prod plays a huge role in the final result, and im sure there are times where all they do is sequence the album

but nah lets generalize an entire position

An Exec Producer (I'm speaking from a Film Background but I'm sure it applies to music as well) can probably be involved as much or as little as they want.

Suge Knight was an executive Producer who probably didn't do shit musically. Compared to Dr. Dre who is a notorious control freak and many artists would make projects while signed to Aftermath that have never seen the light of day.

It's a flexible position.

Lol shiiiit. Rappers need to be more embarrassed about being caught for that shit. Especially since they all know how crooked the music industry is, no need to cheat others at it.

Courage

wait does that exist or is that a joke

lol

Yeah, Yeezus as we know it today is because Rubin trimmed a lot of that. I'm sure Yeezy would have never released a 2 hour album, since he himself wanted it to be more concise and relatively minimalist compared to his previous efforts.

Yeah, Yeezus as we know it today is because Rubin trimmed a lot of that. I'm sure Yeezy would have never released a 2 hour album, since he himself wanted it to be more concise and relatively minimalist compared to his previous efforts.

I guess, We'll never get that disc 2 spoken word auto-tune rant

Executive producer is a mixed term. Sometimes it's a legitimate position that features a very hands on approach. Dr. Dre's fingerprints are all over GKMC even though he didn't produce any of the records; he redid Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe, changed Money Trees, mixed the album, etc. Puffy essentially orchestrated a lot of Ready To Die; he didn't produce jack shit but dictated how certain samples were used (Juicy).

Then you have executive producer cases like Jay with Food & Liquor, where he didn't do much of anything but attach his name as a cosign. Likewise RZA didn't do truly exec produce OB4CL2 - sure he mixed some things and made a beat, but overall his name was attached as a (nostalgia) cosign.

Kanye isn't a passive executive producer - he's not simply going to cosign your project, he's going to take it over. He did that with Pusha T's album and I'd imagine he's done it with other albums on his label.

cacophony

that version is nice until the 2nd part where kanye starts doing a Seal impression

bound grew on me but objectively its a pretty terrible song. the verse-chorus transition is one of the most jarring things ive ever heard lol. wish i had a video of my reaction the first time i heard that shit

1311947500573.gif

T Dollarz

Executive producer is a mixed term. Sometimes it's a legitimate position that features a very hands on approach. Dr. Dre's fingerprints are all over GKMC even though he didn't produce any of the records; he redid Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe, changed Money Trees, mixed the album, etc. Puffy essentially orchestrated a lot of Ready To Die; he didn't produce jack shit but dictated how certain samples were used (Juicy).

Then you have executive producer cases like Jay with Food & Liquor, where he didn't do much of anything but attach his name as a cosign. Likewise RZA didn't do truly exec produce OB4CL2 - sure he mixed some things and made a beat, but overall his name was attached as a (nostalgia) cosign.

Kanye isn't a passive executive producer - he's not simply going to cosign your project, he's going to take it over. He did that with Pusha T's album and I'd imagine he's done it with other albums on his label.

Good breakdown here, exactly how I envisioned all those producers/projects got shaped out.

edit: and yeah, Bound 2 is the outlier on Yeezus for me. It just doesn't fit. Every time I listen to the album I usually end right before it (which isn't a bad ending either).

That was my first time watching the video just now... lmaoooooooooo!!! Wtf man...

that version is nice until the 2nd part where kanye starts doing a Seal impression

bound grew on me but objectively its a pretty terrible song. the verse-chorus transition is one of the most jarring things ive ever heard lol. wish i had a video of my reaction the first time i heard that shit

1311947500573.gif

yep. don't like bound 2. worst song on the album. the rest is pretty great.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
maybe he'll be the first artist to "count backwards" and put Bound 1 on his next album lol

lowkey could see him doing this

iavi

Graduation was a fucking event. I know y'all love to hate on it in here, but none of Ye's albums have come even close to matching the hype that album had: The ye vs 50 marketing bullshit, the daft punk collab, drunk n hot girls

I mean

Detox

PD nailed the execs role but he missed out J Prince who doesn't do anything, was probably actively avoided by Drake and still got exec credit on NWTS.

PD nailed the execs role but he missed out J Prince who doesn't do anything, was probably actively avoided by Drake and still got exec credit on NWTS.

I didn't know he got an exec producer credit, interesting; it's not listed on wikipedia. If so it's a case of Drake having multiple hands in his pockets. What a "boss" lol. Birdman and Slim are exec producers and they certainly didn't do shit on the album.

No I.D. is also pretty hands on even when he doesn't produce all the tracks (Life Is Good). I think he's exec producing Vince Staples' upcoming album which will be interesting. I feel like Vince is best when he's discussing personal shit beyond "I'm a legit gangsta."

Detox

His breakfast club interview is dope checks charlamagne, that dissing Drake is messing with his money. They said J Prince ran up on Drake while on tour when he found out Drake was trying to sign to YM without his involvement. He wasn't listed as exec on Take Care when they were going through that legal shit, but was back on NWTS.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Are album sales where labels get all the money, or is touring included? How much of a factor is the latter?
When touring is included, that's usually what people call a 360 deal, as in they get a cut out of every revenue angle your name is attached to.

Labels generally get the most money from album sales, which is why the 360 deal was invented with the advent of declining record sales.

PBY

Banned
That chart just confirms how awesome his status is.

Not a lot of artists doing that 7 albums in, post internet age

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom